Pavelski OT winner waived off, right call or not?

yave1964

Should Pavelski's goal have counted?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should the OT goal by Pavelski have counted?

• Yes- good goal
    • No- goalie interference correct call

Last night the Preds and Sharks played a triple overtime classic game, hard hits, nobody giving an inch, the Predators tied the series in the third overtime on a game winner by Mike Fisher. But in the first overtime.......

Pavelski and the Sharks argued that the contact with Rinne was due to Joe Pa being pushed Rinne by Paul Gaustad, but the official vetoed that, waiving the goal off immediately and the situation room agreed. Two periods later the Preds took the game and tied the series at 2.

My thoughts are the officials got it right, Pavelski was literally lying across Rinne when he tapped the puck home, Rinne must have the oppurtunity to play the puck and I feel they got it right.

Thoughts?

31 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Last night the Preds and Sharks played a triple overtime classic game, hard hits, nobody giving an inch, the Predators tied the series in the third overtime on a game winner by Mike Fisher. But in the first overtime.......

Pavelski and the Sharks argued that the contact with Rinne was due to Joe Pa being pushed Rinne by Paul Gaustad, but the official vetoed that, waiving the goal off immediately and the situation room agreed. Two periods later the Preds took the game and tied the series at 2.

My thoughts are the officials got it right, Pavelski was literally lying across Rinne when he tapped the puck home, Rinne must have the oppurtunity to play the puck and I feel they got it right.

Thoughts?

I think they got it right.

10 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

Easy call and they got it correct. 

I don't think it is that easy.

At first glance, I was going to disagree with everyone and say the goal should count, because Gaustad does push him. The question is how hard really. The answer is, not that hard. But, he specifically pushes him down onto the hips/lower back, which does cause your feet to move, and quickly. A contributing factor is that Pavelski desires, legitimately I think, to avoid contact with 6'4" 235 lb Shea Weber, sending him to the left and into Rinne. There's a strong argument there for the goal to be allowed. 

But. Pavelski makes no effort to slow up, and effectively decides to launch himself into Rinne. This is visible to the eye and is not a hockey play, as they say. So no goal. But not that easy of a call IMO.

And also, there's this to consider:

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

He might have been pushed into him yes.

But when he whacked it in after, how is Rinne supposed to move with him right there?

He can't because he was on top of him.

Archived