Crosby cheats!! Whaaa....

When asked about Crosby winning over 70% of his face offs in game two, Couture stated "he cheats".

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/sharks-logan-couture-claims-sidney-crosby-cheats-on-faceoffs/

Sharks' Logan Couture claims Sidney Crosby cheats on faceoffs

PITTSBURGH -- Even though it isn't always showing up on the stat sheet, Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby has been a pretty dominant player through the first two games of the Stanley Cup Final. That was true once again Wednesday night in the Penguins' 2-1 overtime win.

One area where that dominance didshow up in Game 2 was in the faceoff circle, where he won 17 out of 24 draws, including 11 out of 16 in the offensive zone.

San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture seems to think he knows why Crosby can be so dominant and win offensive zone draws so cleanly. Because he cheats. And because he gets away with it because of who he is.

"He cheats and he gets away with it," Couture said after the game Wednesday. "He's Sidney Crosby."

He was asked a follow-up question as to what, exactly, it is that Crosby does to cheat in those situations, and wasn't all that specific.

"He times them and they don't kick him out for some reason," Couture said. "Probably because of who he is."

Crosby took four faceoffs against Couture on Wednesday night, winning three of them.

His biggest win of the night came against Joel Ward just  two-and-a-half minutes into the overtime period when he won an offensive zone draw that directly resulted in Conor Sheary's winning goal.

Look, every player in the league that takes a faceoff tries to cheat on them. That is why they get kicked out of the circle at times and why linesmen always have to step in and lecture players before they actually drop the puck. It is also not uncommon for opponents to think they are getting the short end of the stick when they go up against superstar players. It has happened repeatedly this season with Crosby and the Penguins.

Rangers coach Alain Vigneault played the " what if it was Crosby" card way back in the regular season when he disagreed with a ruling from the league (a situation that did not even involve Crosby and the Penguins). Capitals coach Barry Trotz played the favoritism angle in the second round.

In the end this is all nothing more than gamesmanship, and it is a tale as old as the playoffs themselves. It is no different than a coach trying to use the media to work officials for calls in the middle of a series. This is Couture trying to plant a seed in the heads of the officials and give them something to look for in future games, hoping that it might give him an edge in a big situation.

sidneycrosbyfaceoffs.jpg One Sharks player accused Sidney Crosby of cheating on faceoffs and getting away with it. USATSI

Adam Gretz  mugshot
Adam Gretz
CBS Sports Writer
FOLLOW

Adam Gretz has been writing about the NHL and taking an analytical approach to the game since the start of the 2008 season. A member of the PHWA since 2015, he has spent more than three years covering... FULL BIO

13 COMMENTS

You seriously want to eliminate the posturing and time wasting at the face-off circles? Start handing out penalties for misbehaving - and there are no changes to the rules required. Give the offending player(s) 2 for delay of game. End of problem. But, I believe the NHL actually likes this foolishness at face-off time. It's entertaining....enjoy. :eyeroll:

My favorite is that when asked to explain how he cheats Courure couldn't say.   Sounded like whining by a young player.  If I remember right Giroux whined about getting whacked on the wrists a few seasons ago which a lot of players said was just part of winning face offs, then back pedaled it a bit.  Lol 

14 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

If I remember right Giroux whined about getting whacked on the wrists a few seasons ago

... and needing wrist surgery as soon as the playoffs were over.  

Couture and the Sharks have played hard but the Penguins have them on the ropes. Sounds like Crosby is living rent fee inside of Coutures head right now.

20 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Mid i remember correctly Crosby has medical attention for his as well that season and didn't fuss about it.  Numerous players spoke about when you get whacked in the wrists.  Pretty much telling Giroux to shut up that's hockey.  Lol 

Just now, hf101 said:

I thought that was due to lingering effects from a golf injury? :5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

Just now, Polaris922 said:

My favorite is that when asked to explain how he cheats Courure couldn't say.   Sounded like whining by a young player.  If I remember right Giroux whined about getting whacked on the wrists a few seasons ago which a lot of players said was just part of winning face offs, then back pedaled it a bit.  Lol 

Speaking of Courture and cheating...how about  his dive on the Cole "interference " call?  Oh wait...that's only "cheating" when Crosby does it. 

Whine on, Logan.

2 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

Well maybe Couture should take a page out of Tim "Doctor Hook" McCracken's book and give Crosby open-heart surgery at the face-off circle, chances are Crosby won't be cheating for a long time :)

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Speaking of Courture and cheating...how about  his dive on the Cole "interference " call?  Oh wait...that's only "cheating" when Crosby does it. 

Whine on, Logan.

Logan sounds like a young Crosby whining about anything :)

how did this get to be about Giroux....?  

whatever.

Too bad the Pens can only be up two games with how well they've played. 

I thought Couture played the best he has in the series in the last two periods though.

I definitely think the speed and shot blocking that turns into odd man rushes has the Sharks second guessing their decision making real time.

28 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

how did this get to be about Giroux....?  

whatever.

Too bad the Pens can only be up two games with how well they've played. 

I thought Couture played the best he has in the series in the last two periods though.

I definitely think the speed and shot blocking that turns into odd man rushes has the Sharks second guessing their decision making real time.

It was just resonant with Giroux's complaint a few years ago.  Couture sounded more whiny though.  

14 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

It was just resonant with Giroux's complaint a few years ago.  Couture sounded more whiny though.  

There's getting owned in the circle, then there's needing surgery from it.   re-read the article (who wants to do that really? i sure as hell don't ) CG was telling the interviewer why both wrists were in casts... if that's "whining" then i don't know what to say.

Also 6 posts plus the obligatory  golf and handcuff joke from resident A # 1 troll guy...and the guy isn't even playing ? 

When my guys are in the SCF and your guys are watching i'll sure as **** not be giving your guys a second thought.  

your guys look like they can win it though, i don't see the Sharks having any answers. Maybe having last change helps with matchups but that's not anything to hang your hat on.  Murray made a holyshitdidjaseethat save in game 1 but his guys make it easy for him, he can Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer this thing to get his name engraved.  

30 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

I was listening to the mornig show on NHL XM - Gord Stellick & Rob Simpson. Not a bad show.  Dennis Potvin is a weekly guest.  They mentioned Courture's comments.

Potvin's reply: "Did he really say that?"

Ah well - enough piling on Logan. :5726ba49d3da0_whiteflag:

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

There's getting owned in the circle, then there's needing surgery from it.   re-read the article (who wants to do that really? i sure as hell don't ) CG was telling the interviewer why both wrists were in casts... if that's "whining" then i don't know what to say.

Also 6 posts plus the obligatory  golf and handcuff joke from resident A # 1 troll guy...and the guy isn't even playing ? 

When my guys are in the SCF and your guys are watching i'll sure as **** not be giving your guys a second thought.  

your guys look like they can win it though, i don't see the Sharks having any answers. Maybe having last change helps with matchups but that's not anything to hang your hat on.  Murray made a holyshitdidjaseethat save in game 1 but his guys make it easy for him, he can Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer this thing to get his name engraved.  

You know how the rivalry is my friend...  We still hear it about Crosby punching balls and you still hear about Giroux groping them!  Lol.  

I agree.  So far the Sharks look out of their depth despite the close scores.  

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Moi??? :eyeroll:

36 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

You know how the rivalry is my friend...  We still hear it about Crosby punching balls and you still hear about Giroux groping them!  Lol.  

I agree.  So far the Sharks look out of their depth despite the close scores.  

What do you mean!?!?!? Flyers fans never take shots at Crosby!!  :572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

DISCLAIMER....the following is said in jest to our fine updstanding resident Pen's Fans !!! :P

10 minutes ago, B21 said:

What do you mean!?!?!? Flyers fans never take shots at Crosby!!  :572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

you mean like this! :)

sidney-crosby-meme-generator-this-is-a-c

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

DISCLAIMER....the following is said in jest to our fine updstanding resident Pen's Fans !!! :P

you mean like this! :)

sidney-crosby-meme-generator-this-is-a-c

th?id=OIP.Mf955bcb94ee2bc20ac5030971eaef

Archived