Flyers Off-Season Game Plan

11 minutes ago, briere48 said:

is jeff skinner on the block? hextall has to do something now because giroux and jake are not getting any younger, i mean what i dont get is, if hexy is not making win now moves, then what is the sense of keeping giroux and voraeck? because they are not young like toews and kane, hextall is wasting their talent by waiting three more  years and by the time the young dmen are good, giroux and voraeck are going to be close to 30 and have no clue of what they are going to be.

it's not how you rebuild, you rebuild your forwards by getting younger with your young dman. i understand everyone likes hextall's plan but do you not realise giroux and voreack are not young players?

Toews is 28. Kane is 27. Giroux is 28. Voracek is 26. Do you make these moronic posts on purpose or what?

edit: The Pens just won a cup with Malkin (29) Letang (29) and Crosby(28) as their core. They clearly should have got rid of those old men years ago so they could have a shot at winning something.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, briere48 said:

is jeff skinner on the block? hextall has to do something now because giroux and jake are not getting any younger, i mean what i dont get is, if hexy is not making win now moves, then what is the sense of keeping giroux and voraeck? because they are not young like toews and kane, hextall is wasting their talent by waiting three more  years and by the time the young dmen are good, giroux and voraeck are going to be close to 30 and have no clue of what they are going to be.

it's not how you rebuild, you rebuild your forwards by getting younger with your young dman. i understand everyone likes hextall's plan but do you not realise giroux and voreack are not young players?

G is 28 and Jake 26, the main new core is much younger. Drafting Ruby is a start in the right direction for replacing the Centers we have now. You can't make moves to win now and not hurt your longterm team goals. It has killed the Flyers with what Homer did to this organization. We literally had no farm system a few years ago, now we have one of the best prospect pools in the entire league from the net out.

We must remain patient, and if that means no cup for G in Philly, so be it. I mean, I wouldn't be upset if we moved G or Jake in the next year or 2 as Ruby and others arrive.If Ruby truly is talented like Datsyuk it will be well worth it for the future to not mortgage any younger talent to win now.

I think Simmer and Schenn will be more valuable to this team going forward, tough wingers who can score are a rarity in this league, playmaking centers can be found more often.

I'm not in on Evander Kane at all, but I would point out that NOTHING has been "proven"

There were no charges from the December allegations and we have yet to see how things play out in these recent "incidents"

There was another Kane who had high profile accusations in Buffalo. How'd that work out?

Again, not saying "go get Evander" - but getting him in return for Streit would be something I would at least give a listen. To be clear, I don't think Streit straight up gets it done.

31 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm not in on Evander Kane at all, but I would point out that NOTHING has been "proven"

There were no charges from the December allegations and we have yet to see how things play out in these recent "incidents"

There was another Kane who had high profile accusations in Buffalo. How'd that work out?

Again, not saying "go get Evander" - but getting him in return for Streit would be something I would at least give a listen. To be clear, I don't think Streit straight up gets it done.

To be fair, I don't think Patrick Kanes teammates ever had an issue with him. Evander on the other hand...

25 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

To be fair, I don't think Patrick Kanes teammates ever had an issue with him. Evander on the other hand...

If the Flyers were able to offload some salary, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a look at Skinner,  but I want no part of Kane. I just think there's too much smoke around Kane for there to not be some fire. Skinner seems like he might be past his injury issues, and his goals have come back up. 5.75 for the next three years is reasonable for a 30ish goal 24 year old. Of course, that also raises the cost to acquire, and Carolina hasn't got much going for it now.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Yeah, and that's a real concern.

Like I said,  not advocating for it, but if Buffalo wanted a straight up for Streit - which they don't and wouldn't  - I'd listen.

I have to agree with Carchidi's assessment in the Inquirer that patience is the way forward.  We have too little cap flexibility for major moves. Changing the "Competitive Every Year" will take time.  I am glad we made the playoffs last year if only to show progress and the skills of H-squared.  I might even say that failure to make the playoffs this year won't be so bad with the six-game, respectable performance against the Caps in our rear view mirror.

The unstated "problem" would be if our youngins, particularly on D, don't pan out. It's interesting to contrast my backyard Panthers with Edmonton on that score.  Florida stockpiled drafts and has built a Cup nucleus.  Edmonton's picks have had mixed success (Gagner is one) and the team hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years  Let's hope we are more like Florida.  

We shall see.....and we have to live with "small" trades like Wiese.  

Thinking aloud...i wonder if the Wings since they have a glut of forwards would move LW Teemu Pulkkinen for a draft pick?

A cheap option but not sure if they want to move him to a conference rival or not.

12 hours ago, briere48 said:

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/66578493.jpg

12 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Toews is 28. Kane is 27. Giroux is 28. Voracek is 26. Do you make these moronic posts on purpose or what?

edit: The Pens just won a cup with Malkin (29) Letang (29) and Crosby(28) as their core. They clearly should have got rid of those old men years ago so they could have a shot at winning something.

I truly think it is for the shock effect..... just saying....

In the case for Jimmy Vesey i think the team with the best slot in the top 6 for a LW spot will sign him. And at looking at the team and how their lineup are almost set up that gives the Flyers a great shot at him. I think it's a given that he will get a max 2 year entry level deal no matter where he goes.

So the winning edge goes to the team with the best LW slot open or at least at the time appearing to be open and i have to say the Flyers look enticing. And i hope that persuades him to Philly they could really use him.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

HHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm it better be for Mcdonald going the other way......

Things that make you go Hmmm through the night..... Agree salary better be going back the other way......BUT why would Hexy do this except for a stop gap measure.  Marleau will turn 37 this September.  This team does NOT need another 35+ contract.  Am I missing anything here.....why would this be a good idea?

15 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Things that make you go Hmmm through the night..... Agree salary better be going back the other way......BUT why would Hexy do this except for a stop gap measure.  Marleau will turn 37 this September.  This team does NOT need another 35+ contract.  Am I missing anything here.....why would this be a good idea?

He's quite the insider. he had Blues interested in Okposo. Also the Leafs. And the Oilers. Then the Wings were "all in". Then he signed with Buffalo. 

That's some incredible inside info right there!

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He's quite the insider. he had Blues interested in Okposo. Also the Leafs. And the Oilers. Then the Wings were "all in". Then he signed with Buffalo. 

That's some incredible inside info right there!

In other words Eklund V2.0.  :5726b5f90a35d_idontthinkso: Thanks for the insight! :) 

12 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Brandon Pirri is someone I'd have no problem taking a look at.

Me either.

Of course the price tag and what he is asking for (i'm sure for you as well) would also make me say pass.

9 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The goaltending is underated is a statement I am not sure I agree with.  Mason had a good year.  But he has had some bad ones too.  I think the jury is still out on this matter.  Miller was a top notch goalie for many years and still is in my book.  But Mason only needs one good year to get the praise?  Miller goes to a team that is  mess and the results are predictable. Do you think Mason could have saved Vancouver and led them to the playoffs?  I say no way.  Lets see how Mason holds up this year.I am not ready to anoint him just yet.  The Flyers would be crazy to pass up on a better goalie if that chance comes along

Mason hasn't had a season where his stats were worse than Miller's since he came to the Flyers. Mason is also one of the best 5v5 goalies in the game over the past 3 years, which is really important considering that's how the majority of the game is played. He does struggle when shorthanded. He may not be elite, but at this point in their careers, I'll take Mason over Miller. Could the Flyers upgrade? Certainly. So could every team without Price or Holtby.

Brayden Schenn's new contract with Flyers could look like Kyle Palmieri's with Devils

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/7/7/12120616/brayden-schenn-contract-flyers-nhl-free-agency-2016

Season GP G A Pts Season GP G A Pts
2013-14 Schenn 82 20 21 41 2013-14 Palmieri 71 14 17 31
2014-15 Schenn 82 18 29 47 2014-15 Palmieri 57 14 15 29
2015-16 Schenn 80 26 33 59 2015-16 Palmieri 82 30 27 57

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-07%20at%201.36.3

Contract Years Player Pos Signing Age Contract Length Cap Hit Goals* Assists* Points*
2013-2018 Wayne Simmonds RW 25 6 years $3,975,000 15 17 32
2016-2019 Mikkel Boedker LW 26 4 years $4,000,000 17 34 51
2015-2020 Nick Bjugstad C 23 6 years $4,100,000 24 19 43
2015-2019 Craig Smith C 26 5 years $4,250,000 23 21 44
2016-2021 Nazem Kadri C 25 6 years $4,500,000 17 28 45
2013-2016 Brad Marchand LW 25 4 years $4,500,000 18 18 36
2013-2018 Max Pacioretty LW 24 6 years $4,500,000 15 24 39
2014-2018 Tyler Ennis C 24 5 years $4,600,000 21 22 43
2013-2017 Bryan Little C 25 5 years $4,700,000 24 22 46
2016-2021 Vincent Trocheck C 23 6 years $4,750,000 25 28 53
2016 - ?? Brayden Schenn C/W 24 ?? ?? 26 33 59

I could live with it....but could he?