The Lag

SpikeDDS

Am I the only one who thinks that the 3-day breaks between each of these last three games in the SCFs is ridiculous? I'm not even a fan of either team, but the lag between games just seems FAR too long for me.

What was Toronto thinking here?! Even with the East-West coast thing, it's still too long, and it could potentially be ending WAY too far into June!

Could not agree more! I'm sure it all has to with the precious tv ratings and what days of the week work best.... and of course coordinating with the NBA which I could care less about, because God forbid they should play on the same night.....as if there's much overlap between those 2 audiences anyway.

Ridiculous that a potential Game 7 would be played on June 15th. Just because I'm a hockey fan doesn't mean I need the season stretched out the 4th of July

I'd be interested to know what the players think.  One positive is players can heal a bit and maybe have a better chance to play at their best, the result then is better Stanley Cup?

Maybe the players themselves like a longer season, they are in favor of the World Cup prior to training camps?

As far as the stretched out games I prefer every other night, but I not opposed to a 2nd night off for a game 7.

Just absurd, IMHO.

Not as bad as the AHL where the Lake Erie Monsters and the Hershey Bears have a 5 DAY break between games 3 and 4 because Lake Erie is at home for those two games and so are the Cleveland Cavaliers and they accommodate the Cavs and went so long between games that if I had not read this post by @SpikeDDS I woulda forgot to DVR it tonight. Thanks Spike! Hopefully the Monsters close out the Bears tonight and bring a well earned championship to Ohio!

Seems strange with the three days between the travel days, extending the series a few days.  At this point of the season, I'm not sure if the extra day of rest is doing much.  The players are tired, yes, but it kind of kills the flow with all the time off.   I know for me, with sports I like to keep moving and not have a lot of time to think between matches.  Have a bad game, get right back out there and correct it.  Have a good game, get right back out there and continue it. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

it kind of kills the flow with all the time off. 

Way back when, the first round started with 4 games in 5 nights, and this is what said I when they stopped doing that....so you know how I feel about this nonsense

22 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the 3-day breaks between each of these last three games in the SCFs is ridiculous? I'm not even a fan of either team, but the lag between games just seems FAR too long for me.

What was Toronto thinking here?! Even with the East-West coast thing, it's still too long, and it could potentially be ending WAY too far into June!

I mentioned this in the Chat Box. I believe my reaction was:  :sleep:

I've already lost interest in this series. I hope the 3-day breaks kill the NHL's ratings. 

Well, I could see a little how having to fly almost from coast to coast could make this much of a layoff helpful, but I'm sure the players and coaches HATE it. As a hockey fan, I certainly do. This has been a good series, made even better listened to on mute. The other problem that teams have is you work so hard to win a game in the finals only to have momentum mean NOTHING by the time next game occurs. My biggest problem is I love hockey added with the fact that I don't have any interest in baseball until after the All-Star break, and I have to tolerate the LeBronBA and ESPLeBron if I want to see "pro sports". I think we'll all get over it somewhat when the Sharks win in double OT in 7. 

I can't get too upset over it.  It has nothing to do with television - clearly it was done for the travel.  If it were teams just 1 time zone apart I don't think it happens (without looking I'm not sure if this was the case in the past).  But Pittsburgh to San Jose is 3 hours. Give the guys a day to get somewhat acclimated.

What I would hate is a 2-3-2 format.  I know the NBA used to do that when it was east coast versus left coast. That would really suck.

2 hours ago, B21 said:

.  It has nothing to do with television - clearly it was done for the travel.  If it were teams just 1 time zone apart I don't think it happens (without looking I'm not sure if this was the case in the past).

There were 3 game layoffs twice in last year's SCF........and yeah TV runs everything, especially in the NHL which was happy to give its product away for free to NBC not too long ago

1 hour ago, sarsippius said:

There were 3 game layoffs twice in last year's SCF........and yeah TV runs everything, especially in the NHL which was happy to give its product away for free to NBC not too long ago

So last year it was done for TV (?) which I guess I am OK with. This year - with the 2 days breaks only happening when the series moved from city to city I think it was clearly done for travel. If I am the NHL and NBC I'll move a game out an extra day if it means better ratings every time. Especially if it means not going up against the NBA Finals.  That's just smart business.  I don't think the fans or teams suffer with that extra day.

Archived