Leafs acquire goaltender Fred Andersen from Anaheim

BluPuk

Gave up the 30th pick in the first round this year (from Pittsburgh) and a second rounder in 2017. 

Seems like a lot to give up for an average goalie? Whaddaya think?? :hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon:

I think it is a great move by Anaheim.  :hocky:    It is also a great move by Toronto as Anderson is a #1 and was caught in a battle for icetime with another #1 in Gibson.  I wouldn't say that Anderson is just average.   The Leafs have apparently signed him with a 5 year deal for $5M per year cap hit.  The trade also says that Bernier's time with the Leafs is on shaky ground.  Depending on the play of Sparks one could see the Leafs making a deadline deal for Bernier.

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

I think it is a great move by Anaheim.  :hocky:    It is also a good move by Toronto as Anderson is a #1 and was caught in a battle for icetime with another #1 in Gibson.  I wouldn't say that Anderson is just average.   The Leafs have apparently signed him with a 5 year deal for $5M per year cap hit.  The trade also says that Bernier's time with the Leafs is on shaky ground.  Depending on the play of Sparks one could see the Leafs making a deadline deal for Bernier.

I concur..it is a great move by the Leafs.  So... how does this play out in the Fantasy League world?  Granted Anderson was splitting time with Gibson with the Ducks, but as has been mentioned the Ducks have a vastly superior defense as compared to the Leafs.  Also will Anderson be splitting time with Bernier?  You don't pay $5M / yr on a goalie to have him sit.  So where do you draft him? And what can you expect from him this year from a Fantasy point of view?

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I concur..it is a great move by the Leafs.  So... how does this play out in the Fantasy League world?  Granted Anderson was splitting time with Gibson with the Ducks, but as has been mentioned the Ducks have a vastly superior defense as compared to the Leafs.  Also will Anderson be splitting time with Bernier?  You don't pay $5M / yr on a goalie to have him sit.  So where do you draft him? And what can you expect from him this year from a Fantasy point of view?

Impossible to say until we see how the team begins to play with some new roster additions next year. Also trying to factor in how 14 teams affect the draft.

My guess is someone takes a gamble on Andersen as a 2nd goalie during the draft. But leaf players in general will be a gamble since their highest point producer was a 45 point player. Most will likely follow their progress and jump on them as a waiver wire pick up if the ship appears to be turning. JVR might get snagged later in the draft, and possibly Nylander/Matthews/Reilly if someone wants to gamble. Seeing which of Kadri/Bozak(unless he gets traded) gets to play with JVR and if Nylander comes out on fire has a Domino effect on fantasy value.

I can usually set my watch by certain fantasy players and teams. Say, Plekanec, who always starts the season steadily scoring for 20-30  games then turns invisible for streaky stretches. Kind of like many kids. Most veterans know to save their energy for the 80 games+, but kids come out trying to prove themselves and blow their energy early in the season. Most years I say "wow, these kids are on fire" for about 20 games and then the majority of younger ones not used to a long season inevitably crash until they find a sustainable pace. Plek seems to play that way.

But leafs start the season like Jekyll and Hide and are impossible to predict. Last year they only had 2 wins in their first 15 games, the year before they went 9-5-2 in their first 16.

Will I gamble on any leaf players? I guess it depends. Last year I snagged Kadri and Bozak and Komorov from waivers for a stretch in the keeper league, mostly to Bolster faceoffs and because they hit a streak(And because +/- was a category I knew I would never win, so I abandoned it). But in the draft? JVR was the only leaf taken until Phaneuf in like round 14, and Phaneuf is taken for his PIM's and medium point output

Due to there being so many teams in the league, I have not seen Freddie in action, I can only go by his numbers - which are average. I do assume that he will be our starter with Bernier backing him up and likely getting 25 or 30 starts (barring injury). I just thought that the draft pick(s) the Leafs gave up for him was quite a bit high....

Do we need a reliable goalie?? I'm gonna go with a big yes on that one and I hope Freddie is that guy. Fingers crossed....

Pretty high price IMHO, but that changes if Andersen provides consistent, stable tending for the buds.

I hope they trade Bernier now though. I need him to reinvent himself as a starter somewhere or my brilliant 5 year plan to win my keeper goes down the toilet 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Pretty high price IMHO, but that changes if Andersen provides consistent, stable tending for the buds.

I hope they trade Bernier now though. I need him to reinvent himself as a starter somewhere or my brilliant 5 year plan to win my keeper goes down the toilet 

What?

Needs explaination

38 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

What?

Needs explaination

I made a trade for Bernier just before he was traded by the Kings to the Leafs. You know, when he was the next great thing. I gave up assets to get him. Starting goalies with GAAs below 42 and ave percentages above 0.250 are critical to winning our pool and are hard to come by. I'm stuck with him for now, as he has little trade value. Does that help?

Bernier is history. That was evident halfway through last season. I get nervous when draft picks start getting traded for average players. The Leafs should have been able to sign someone like this without giving anything up. 

:(

50 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Bernier is history. That was evident halfway through last season. I get nervous when draft picks start getting traded for average players. The Leafs should have been able to sign someone like this without giving anything up. 

If Bernier is toast, why not buy him out? 

What UFA goalie could they have signed?

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I made a trade for Bernier just before he was traded by the Kings to the Leafs. You know, when he was the next great thing. I gave up assets to get him. Starting goalies with GAAs below 42 and ave percentages above 0.250 are critical to winning our pool and are hard to come by. I'm stuck with him for now, as he has little trade value. Does that help?

Ahhh. Ouches

6 hours ago, Podein25 said:

If Bernier is toast, why not buy him out? 

What UFA goalie could they have signed?

They will. That's the next move. They just had to get the new guy first. :)

I'm not sure who else they could have signed, but all the Leafs need right now is a warm body in net that doesn't embarrass them with God-awful bad goals like the ones Bernier lets in. They could have signed anyone, and it would have been an upgrade.   :no:

Apologies in advance to the Leafs fans on here, but this smacks of another in a line of Leaf attempts to overpay for another team's goalie only to ignore the fact they've done nothing to fix the structure of the team in front of the goalie du jour. 

As a Flyers' fan, it's an easy pattern/sin to recognize. 

I like Andersen, so we'll see, but obviously neither the Leafs' offense nor defense are that of the Ducks. Let's just hope Andersen's coincidence isn't destroyed (both by shooting gallery and by Leaf fans/media) before they're able to build in front of him. 

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Apologies in advance to the Leafs fans on here, but this smacks of another in a line of Leaf attempts to overpay for another team's goalie only to ignore the fact they've done nothing to fix the structure of the team in front of the goalie du jour. 

As a Flyers' fan, it's an easy pattern/sin to recognize. 

I like Andersen, so we'll see, but obviously neither the Leafs' offense nor defense are that of the Ducks. Let's just hope Andersen's coincidence isn't destroyed (both by shooting gallery and by Leaf fans/media) before they're able to build in front of him. 

I wouldn't be too quick to trash the Leaf's future.  They have the "best coach" and they did sign from the KHL d-man Nikita Zaitsev who I expect to be on the top line next year.  Connor Carrick lead the Marlies in the playoffs with 18 pts and I fully expect to see him on the Leafs roster as well.

I attended the Flyers vs Leafs games in Philly last year where the Leafs won both.  They were a team of speed and quick puck movement - With a better goaltender in Anderson this team won't be at the bottom of the conference for sure.

23 hours ago, pilldoc said:

For me, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up Anderson as a 2nd goalie on any of my fhl teams.  I'd expect Anderson to play 60 games.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I wouldn't be too quick to trash the Leaf's future.  They have the "best coach" and they did sign from the KHL d-man Nikita Zaitsev who I expect to be on the top line next year.  Connor Carrick lead the Marlies in the playoffs with 18 pts and I fully expect to see him on the Leafs roster as well.

I attended the Flyers vs Leafs games in Philly last year where the Leafs won both.  They were a team of speed and quick puck movement - With a better goaltender in Anderson this team won't be at the bottom of the conference for sure.

The intention wasn't to trash the Leaf's future (honest, Leaf's fans, it wasn't an attempt to throw shade).  If I'm a Leaf's fan, though, I'm hoping that the future comes soon enough that Andersen--like those who have gone before--isn't ruined by then.

I think--I like Andersen, but I'm going to hedge with "think"--Andersen is better than what they've had in net in quite awhile.  But he's also used to a much better defense.  I think the Leaf's folks here have said similar.  I agree there.  And they have what, 30 picks or something?  So the future should be good.  But there is going to be a delay between now and then.  So long as he doesn't have his confidence broken by the rubber he'll see in the near future and the fanbase/media doesn't Kessel him, it should be good times there in about 3 years.

But my concern with him was similar to my (and others) concern with Mason a couple years back.  Good goalie.  Better than we've had in awhile.  Will he still be viable when the team in front of him is ready for prime time?   Personal issues and injuries aside, that may actually be becoming a valid concern.

That said, clearly you want someone capable back there who might be able to gloss at least some of the blemishes while the team in front is growing.   He's as good a bet back there as anyone that was currently available, IMO, so definitely a good move from where I sit.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

For me, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up Anderson as a 2nd goalie on any of my fhl teams.  I'd expect Anderson to play 60 games.

Yeah, for fantasy I don't think I'd count on him just yet for your #1 (on the fantasy team, not the Leafs.  He's clearly the starter on the Leafs).  But as I stated above, some of his peripherals may take a hit in the near term.   But I think 60 games is a pretty good guess.   Definitely as the second goalie.  In a keeper league, you probably already have your number 1.   If he's available at your first pick, he's a serious consideration.

The Leafs paid a decent price, but I think this is more of the same coming from Shanny, good solid move with an eye towards the future. Of course, the reason they did not pull the trigger on this particular move or a similar type move last year was to assure themselves of a top two pick this coming draft....smart, real smart. Moves like this, and in particular the *timing* of it have been far and few between from former Leaf management groups. This is a clear sign that Shanny has said, we are done being stinky, it's time to compete...and maybe, just maybe having a solid goalie like Freddy (and I do believe he is a very capable #1 guy) along with their other young guns is enough to lure Stamkos back to Ontario....who knows, but if I'm Stammer, I feel more comfortable going to TO now than a few days ago...assuming TO is even on his short list.

Of course, this move became necessary on the part of the Ducks when the expansion team was granted to Las Vegas...it assured them there would indeed be an expansion draft and the Ducks felt (like many teams will) that the price for protecting two goalies is just to high a price to pay roster wise.

I do believe Bernier is done, the only question is when....Freddy has been hurt before. If this is really a signal by the Leafs saying "it's time to compete" it makes sense to keep Bernier in the picture....he would make a respectable back up...and a nice emergency option should Freddy get hurt. Can't see them going with Sparks and co if Freddy gets hurt. It makes sense to keep Bernier around, sell him off when the time is right...no rush.

10 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The Leafs paid a decent price, but I think this is more of the same coming from Shanny,

I think Uncle Lou had something to do with this also, a typical type trade of his getting young goalies without having to give up that much.

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I think Uncle Lou had something to do with this also, a typical type trade of his getting young goalies without having to give up that much.

I dunno, at this point of his GM'ing career, I think he's more of a figure head for Shanny's decisions. Of course, his opinion is valued, but I don't for one second believe that Shanny didn't have his fingerprints all over this. Something as important as who will be in the Leaf nets during this surge to respectability, (not to mention 5 mill a year cap hit) I think this is something Shanny crafted.

One thing for sure, the stock of John Gibson just shot through the roof. He established himself as the clear #1 last year as the season wore on, but having Freddy there lurking made for an uncomfortable situation. The Ducks are now free to sign an established back up for a mill or so...rumor has it Leaky Leighton is looking for a spot to hang his shirts....lol.

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

One thing for sure, the stock of John Gibson just shot through the roof. He established himself as the clear #1 last year as the season wore on, but having Freddy there lurking made for an uncomfortable situation. The Ducks are now free to sign an established back up for a mill or so...rumor has it Leaky Leighton is looking for a spot to hang his shirts....lol.

and then there is Bryzgalov...

“I see it as a fresh start,” he offered. “I feel like I’m 21 again and just coming into the NHL. I have a hunger to play and to face the challenges that come with playing in this league. I’ve been missing that.”

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/the-fire-burns-in-bryz

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

and then there is Bryzgalov...

“I see it as a fresh start,” he offered. “I feel like I’m 21 again and just coming into the NHL. I have a hunger to play and to face the challenges that come with playing in this league. I’ve been missing that.”

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/the-fire-burns-in-bryz

He may have missed it, Flyer fans don't miss him one iota. As crappy as the guy is, he will probably sign with a team in our division and throw up a few shut outs against us...it's just the way these things go for the Flyers.

On 2016-06-22 at 10:07 AM, ruxpin said:

Yeah, for fantasy I don't think I'd count on him just yet for your #1 (on the fantasy team, not the Leafs.  He's clearly the starter on the Leafs).  But as I stated above, some of his peripherals may take a hit in the near term.   But I think 60 games is a pretty good guess.   Definitely as the second goalie.  In a keeper league, you probably already have your number 1.   If he's available at your first pick, he's a serious consideration.

Depends on the league I guess. In NAHANA, since losses is a category, it may dampen his value a bit because its the leafs. But the idea of him playing 60 games increases his value compared to Niemi/Lehtonen since we can't count on one of them to steal the starter job. But I may still rank him below Allen/Elliott(same tandem situation) since they usually provide solid GAA/Sv% and will get decent wins/Losses because they are blues.

Ill flip flop a lot.

I am curious about a lot of things this offseason.

Archived