remaining free agents after day one

About 200 NHL and AHL players are still available. More quantity than quality sadly. The best remaining of a sad lot:

Matt Cullen aging 3rd line center

Jason Demers looking for a 5 year deal, not worth it.

Kyle Quincey could help someone short term as a 6D

Jiri Hudler is only a year past finishing in the top ten in scoring and can still produce.

Joni Ortio trying to come back from injury could help someone

P.A. Parenteau can still score

Brandon Pirri is young and coming off leg injury, getting limited offers but can hit the net

Antti Raanta wanst bad in New York backing up the King.

Kris Russell still deciding who he will block shots for next year

Luke Schenn will be with his third team in four months by tomorrow

Radim Vrbata has more holes than swiss cheese but can score-when he feels like playing

Kris Versteeg had a good year but is getting limited interest

Guys like Brad Boyes, Matt Carle, Tomas Fleischmann Matt Greene and slugs like that are also out there. Just ugly.

No trades today. Mind blowing.

Half the national debt of a small country was spent on free agents today and in the morning teams are gonna wake up and discover that they still have money and holes to fill and unless they desire to have a second pair of Russell and Schenn they will need to look into wheeling and dealing. Not saying to expect another Subban/Weber tomorrow but I would bet on a good half a dozen quality deals in the next week.

Yave:

Your're right..not a particularly interesting list.  As a Flyers fan, I recall the angst some had when he was traded south to Tampa Bay. No great loss. Looking over that list, I'd say Schenn will get a nibble somewhere as a mildly serviceable third pairing. Pirri is an enigma. He looked promising with my backyard Panthers and the bottom fell out.  Hudler will go somewhere.  I gather the Flyers aren't resigning Sam Gagner. I'd suspect he will get an offer at less than half his 3.5 million of this year. 

What you remind us: build through the draft and be cautious of signing any player over 30.  Jagrs are few and far between.

Howie

51 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

About 200 NHL and AHL players are still available. More quantity than quality sadly. The best remaining of a sad lot:

Matt Cullen aging 3rd line center

Jason Demers looking for a 5 year deal, not worth it.

Kyle Quincey could help someone short term as a 6D

Jiri Hudler is only a year past finishing in the top ten in scoring and can still produce.

Joni Ortio trying to come back from injury could help someone

P.A. Parenteau can still score

Brandon Pirri is young and coming off leg injury, getting limited offers but can hit the net

Antti Raanta wanst bad in New York backing up the King.

Kris Russell still deciding who he will block shots for next year

Luke Schenn will be with his third team in four months by tomorrow

Radim Vrbata has more holes than swiss cheese but can score-when he feels like playing

Kris Versteeg had a good year but is getting limited interest

Guys like Brad Boyes, Matt Carle, Tomas Fleischmann Matt Greene and slugs like that are also out there. Just ugly.

No trades today. Mind blowing.

Half the national debt of a small country was spent on free agents today and in the morning teams are gonna wake up and discover that they still have money and holes to fill and unless they desire to have a second pair of Russell and Schenn they will need to look into wheeling and dealing. Not saying to expect another Subban/Weber tomorrow but I would bet on a good half a dozen quality deals in the next week.

I can see some of these defensemen getting looks once their price gets reasonable. Right handed defensemen are a bit rarer and more coveted, so Demers and Schenn will find homes.

Pirri is better than most think.

I want Raanta. IMO, would be a great backup for Jones if he wants less than 1.5 million.

On 7/1/2016 at 10:19 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

I can see some of these defensemen getting looks once their price gets reasonable. Right handed defensemen are a bit rarer and more coveted, so Demers and Schenn will find homes.

Pirri is better than most think.

I want Raanta. IMO, would be a great backup for Jones if he wants less than 1.5 million.

Wait, did we mean Enroth? if so, I would take Enroth too.

I missed that Raanta resigned with the Rags. My bad. Not much left as far as backup goalies go but still lots of teams trying to trade a goalie away.

Demers to the Cats. WOW are they getting serious. Not saying Demers is all that and a bag of chips but a solid number 4. Spending money as if they have their own printing press and aggressively building something special. I like it a lot. I wonder if the Wings can move back tot he west, lol.

Parenteau to the Islanders, good solid safe signing, he can still score and plays both ends of the ice. Polak back to the Leafs. Good signing for them as well, he will be gone in March for another second rounder, lol.  Under the radar signee Chris Terry from Carolina signed a cheap deal in Montreal. I watched waaay to many Carolina games last year, they were competitive and fun to watch, Terry can score a bit and plays well in all situations, Hell he may be the best move the Habs have made this offseason. Of course that bar is set pretty low.....

Top F/A still left:

Hudler. No idea why he is still available. Top six scoring on the cheap.

Russell and his shot blocking and good first pass still without a job.

Vrbata scored 30 two years ago but is aging. Probably back to Europe.

Versteeg solid 3rd liner when not overused.

Justin Schultz had a great postseason. Petry last year turned a good run with the Habs into a 5 year deal. The longer it goes on the more I think Schultz will sign a prove it contract for one year somewhere.

Wisniewski for the desperate or Carle for the insane.

No goalies except maybe Enroth who is not much.

Brandon Pirri must be further behind in his recovery from his hideous broken ankle than I thought, nobody is offering him much.

Luke Schenn, Kyle quincey could help someone on the bottom six if used right.

Ugly pickings. I am blown away that more trades have not been made. I would like to see the Wings take a flyer on Schultz, the Jackets sign Pirri or Hudler maybe, but there is not much else that any team I like should even consider.

@yave1964

Minnesota Wild have just over 5M in cap space....I sure wouldn't mind if they added a Jiri Hudler to their forwards units for maybe about 2-2.5M. Guy could probably produce at LEAST 40 points if not more.

If not Hudler, then maybe Minnesota can take that one year flyer on Justin Schultz.

The only real RFA of significance the Wild have is Mathew Dumba.

They also have Jordan Schroeder, but while he wasn't a terrible bottom six player, I would gladly let him walk (or trade his rights for a middling type player or low round pick) in order to keep Dumba and sign either Hudler or Schultz.

@yave1964

Why IS Hudler not signed??  If he has no bargaining chip at this point and we could get him short term and cheap I wouldn't mind the Flyers even getting him for a season and using him on the left.  Only a year and only up to $2M. Not for center--although maybe 2nd line if there continues to be little production from that position--but for left wing.

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I sure wouldn't mind if they added a Jiri Hudler to their forwards units for maybe about 2-2.5M. Guy could probably produce at LEAST 40 points if not more.

You and I were both going for Hudler at the same time with similar thought in mind.     It's a slight risk, but not a huge risk for only a year contact.

I really am stunned he's still there.   

Calgary must have known he was asking too much and traded him at the deadline.  Does anyone know what he was demanding from Calgary or even now with Florida?

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You and I were both going for Hudler at the same time with similar thought in mind.     It's a slight risk, but not a huge risk for only a year contact.

I really am stunned he's still there.   

Calgary must have known he was asking too much and traded him at the deadline.  Does anyone know what he was demanding from Calgary or even now with Florida?

Well, you know, Rux...insane minds think alike (even more so than those alleged great minds).... :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

As for what he is asking for, not really sure.

I guess it would all come down to what Hudler is after:   A chance to win (in which case he would take a lower salary to play on a contender...or at least a team with a solid rebuild going that can possibly contend for a playoff spot).

Or he may simply be after the biggest check possilbe...in which case he may end up on a team that has no real chance at contention, but will offer him $$ simply to meet cap requirements or to hoard a player they can trade for later.

If Hudler is more about the money than the chance to win though, I can see why perhaps he is still sitting on the FA shelf.

Only he and his agent know for sure...

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

@yave1964

Why IS Hudler not signed??  If he has no bargaining chip at this point and we could get him short term and cheap I wouldn't mind the Flyers even getting him for a season and using him on the left.  Only a year and only up to $2M. Not for center--although maybe 2nd line if there continues to be little production from that position--but for left wing.

just saw the post....yeah kind of a stunner that he has not been signed by someone.  I am totally ok with a 1 yr deal as a stop gap.  Maybe even 2 if he can be had for a bargain.  What about 2 yrs at 3 Mill? that is 1.5 mill /yr.  I'm ok with that too. 

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

just saw the post....yeah kind of a stunner that he has not been signed by someone.  I am totally ok with a 1 yr deal as a stop gap.  Maybe even 2 if he can be had for a bargain.  What about 2 yrs at 3 Mill? that is 1.5 mill /yr.  I'm ok with that too. 

I'm okay with that.  Color me stunned if that's all it takes, but he's on the outside looking in at this point, isn't he?  He's not in a good position unless he wants to go to the KHL.

At this point, I would want to stick with 1 year.  I think that would be in the team's interest as well.   He has the season to prove last year's slide-back from the previous year was a fluke (I don't think so) and the team doesn't get tied into the following year. 

Does the NHL have team/player options for additional years?  Like "One year plus club/player option for second year?"  I know they have that in other sports and I think I remember that in hockey but I don't remember seeing that recently.  Did that get nixed in one of the most recent CBAs?

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Does the NHL have team/player options for additional years?  Like "One year plus club/player option for second year?"  I know they have that in other sports and I think I remember that in hockey but I don't remember seeing that recently.  Did that get nixed in one of the most recent CBAs?

I totally dunno.  I admit I really do not know all the ins and outs of the current CBA.  It would certainly make sense and in this instance I could easily see that being offered.

Guy averages 40-50 points and caught a perfect storm playing with Monahan + Johnny hockey to hit that 76 point mark.

He wants to cash in on that I guess. but nobody is biting. They threw him on a line with Bjugstad and Purcell in Florida and he was next to invisible. 12 points in 25 games if you include the playoffs.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I like it when I can give a short answer to a CBA question :)

I thought that no longer existed.  Thanks for the answer.   One more question:  that was previously something they could do, right?   It was killed in one of the last two CBAs, right?  I hit my head, but I'm not sure how hard. :)

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Guy averages 40-50 points and caught a perfect storm playing with Monahan + Johnny hockey to hit that 76 point mark.

He wants to cash in on that I guess. but nobody is biting. They threw him on a line with Bjugstad and Purcell in Florida and he was next to invisible. 12 points in 25 games if you include the playoffs.

I have watched Hudler for most of his career, my take, he is a 20 goal 30 assist guy but there are one hell of a lot of players out there who are not who have contracts. He deserves a job.

One problem is he is a little guy and it is not that he will not play defense, it is that he cannot, he simply gets pushed around and out of the way. So his 20 goals and 50 points are all that he brings to the table. That said, 50 point guys do not grow on trees. And he clearly has proven that in the right situation with the right linemates he can produce even more. Purcell is a slug and Bjugstad whom I love was concussed and lost his way last season, not ideal to play with for anyone.

Archived