Flyers sign Russian forward Lyubimov

brelic

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20160712_Flyers_sign_Russian_forward_Roman_Lyubimov.html

The Flyers signed 24-year-old forward Roman Lyubimov to a one-year, two-way, entry-level contract on Monday.

The 6-foot-2, 207-pound Lyubimov spent the last six seasons in the Kontinental Hockey League with CSKA Moscow.

"He's a big guy. He skates well, plays a solid two-way game," Flyers general manager Ron Hextall said. "We feel like he adds depth to the organization. We'll see how he does in training camp."

Hextall said the team was aware of Lyubimov for the last couple years, "but he really popped at the World Championships this past year" when he represented Russia and had four goals and four assists in 10 games.

With CSKA Moscow last season, Lyubimov set career highs with seven goals and seven assists in 52 games. He scored four goals and recorded four assists in 15 playoff games.

Hextall said Lyubimov could be a role player on the Flyers' third or fourth lines.

"I don't necessarily think he's going to be on your first power play, things like that," Hextall said. "But he's a hard worker. He goes to the net. He scores some dirty goals. He's got good size, and he skates fine."

From hockeydb.com:

Roman Lyubimov
Forward
Born Jun 1 1992  

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010-11  CSKA Moscow                 KHL     7    0    0    0    0  --  --  --  --  --
2011-12  CSKA Moscow                 KHL     7    0    1    1    0
2012-13  CSKA Moscow                 KHL    31    0    0    0    4   8   0   0   0  14
2013-14  CSKA Moscow                 KHL    42    2    4    6    6   4   0   0   0   0
2014-15  CSKA Moscow                 KHL    46    6    7   13   20  12   4   2   6  29
2015-16  CSKA Moscow                 KHL    52    7    7   14   25  15   4   4   8   8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't sure if this was a depth signing or an effort to get someone decent on the cheap.  Given cap constraints, this doesn't surprise me.  It's relatively low risk with potentially mid- to high-return for LVH and us. 

@Howie58 and @sekkes85

I highly doubt a six year KHL veteran would sign a contract to come and play in the AHL for a fraction of the salary. But, I could be wrong... 

Seems like a tough bottom six guy with some skill. Maybe he displaces VV? As it stands, though, we have almost an entire roster of bottom six forwards!! 

Let's hope he learned from his landsmann Medvedev to lay off the sauce and come to work for real.  Maybe we learned to do a good background check.  We seem to have a strange relationship with Russian players.  Maybe Van Impe's checks against the Russians are resonating through the ages. . . . .again, no great loss on the downside.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjUo7Ljk-zNAhUMGB4KHR75CYMQtwIIHDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWOxF_LFfq5g&usg=AFQjCNFU2UFbYc-kls0qaOVj4HmiQvy_fw&bvm=bv.126130881,d.dmo

I laugh my a off every time I see this....it brings back fond memories.

Howie

21 minutes ago, brelic said:

As it stands, though, we have almost an entire roster of bottom six forwards!! 

There is quite a cliff drop off after the top 4 or 5, isn't there?

Aside from the LW aspect, I'm not sure what this move does for the Flyers unless there is some movement in the forwards.

capfriendly doesn't have full terms yet, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't on a one way deal (or a two way that paid a significant AHL salary).

I have to wonder if Las Vegas factors into this year's move. If this guy is lost or a bust....who cares?  But I agree with Rad; this is probably a grind move for our bottom lines.  But remember, even our top two lines had a helluva time getting into the attack zone last year, so this dude may be a plus.

Howie

Just now, radoran said:

There is quite a cliff drop off after the top 4 or 5, isn't there?

Aside from the LW aspect, I'm not sure what this move does for the Flyers unless there is some movement in the forwards.

capfriendly doesn't have full terms yet, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't on a one way deal (or a two way that paid a significant AHL salary).

It's an SPC ELC. So it is a two-way contract with a maximum AHL compensation of $70,000 (para. 9.4 of the CBA) - though it could be lower.

Just now, AJgoal said:

It's an SPC. So it is a two-way contract with a maximum AHL compensation of $70,000 (para. 9.4 of the CBA) - though it could be lower.

Then I agree with @brelic that it's kinda crazy for a six-year KHL vet to come over here and potentially be stuck in Lehigh Valley making $70K. (of course, the first post notes it's a two-way deal lol). By the accounts I've read, he had other potential NHL suitors.

This says, to me, that we're not expecting a Konecny or Leier or Aube-Kuble in Philadelphia next season and/or that there's another shoe to drop.

With Cousins, Laughton, VDV, PEB, Weal, Gordon, Weise they already have seven guys for the "bottom six" and with the VeeGees:56cd9dc70e2e2_smallTM:, Simmonds, Couturier, Read, Schenn and Raffl they already have seven guys for the "top six" as well.

Where does he fit? Or does he really expect to be a Phantom??

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Then I agree with @brelic that it's kinda crazy for a six-year KHL vet to come over here and potentially be stuck in Lehigh Valley making $70K. (of course, the first post notes it's a two-way deal lol). By the accounts I've read, he had other potential NHL suitors.

This says, to me, that we're not expecting a Konecny or Leier or Aube-Kuble in Philadelphia next season and/or that there's another shoe to drop.

With Cousins, Laughton, VDV, PEB, Weal, Gordon, Weise they already have seven guys for the "bottom six" and with the VeeGees:56cd9dc70e2e2_smallTM:, Simmonds, Couturier, Read, Schenn and Raffl they already have seven guys for the "top six" as well.

I agree. There must be something else in the works. Gotta be, right? 

I believe the only waiver exempt forward we have is Cousins. So, who knows? Read and Raffl are really middle six guys who can do spot duty in the top six but it's less than ideal. Couturier is also borderline second center. 

I wonder if there's the Russian angle to help Provorov adjust if he makes the squad - but then again, he seems fully acclimated to North American life. 

A bit bit of a head scratcher right now. 

Just now, brelic said:

I agree. There must be something else in the works. Gotta be, right? 

I believe the only waiver exempt forward we have is Cousins Laughton. So, who knows? Read and Raffl are really middle six guys who can do spot duty in the top six but it's less than ideal. Couturier is also borderline second center. 

I wonder if there's the Russian angle to help Provorov adjust if he makes the squad - but then again, he seems fully acclimated to North American life. 

A bit bit of a head scratcher right now. 

Cousins is not exempt. Laughton is.

As was stated last year with Medvedev, Provorov is way more "Americanized" than Lyubimov likely is, so that angle makes no sense. It's likely no more than, "This guy is decent, he's cheap, let's see what he can offer." 

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I think he could be back for Hexy maybe he has something agrees to if he needs the space or money and is willing to let this guys earn a spot and if need be someone has to go down till he can move someone it could be him since he is waiver exempt.

He is planning his steps instead of waiting and then reacting i like this. No need to do something desperate. I think we'll just have to see what he has in store. My only guess.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Weal and Gordon aren't really expects to make the club are they?   At the very least this guy will compete with them for that last spot. 

Other than that, you need injury protection.  Remember, there is no more VLC, Gagner or Umberger to shuffle up and down this year.  Someone gets hurt among the top 6, it's going to fall to Laughton and Cousins and maybe Weise in a pinch to step in. 

Someone has had to play that guy's minutes in the bottom 6 too. 

Also, I expect Read, Laughton, VDV or PEB are all very moveable and this is a potential insurance policy for filling any of those slots.  That said, I would expect one of them to be packaged in a potential Streit/MDZ deal that would fetch a forward in return, but who knows, maybe a draft pick. 

What I can't figure is why the guy would leave The KHL.  If he's not under contract right now, it may legitimately be his only real chance to make the switch.  Maybe he just wants to give it a shot?

They signed Gordon at 32 at $950k on a one way deal and he hasn't payed significant AHL time in a decade.

I gotta think they plan to play hIm in the NHL.

My point is that they have 14 serviceable NHL forwards and add this guy. What's he want out of this? I gotta imagine it's more than $70k and a hotel in Bethlehem, PA

I know many seem confused with this signing, but as our GM Hexy has repeatedly said, "No Roster spot is safe or guaranteed, you have to earn it. Compitition is good, it's good for the players and the team."

Granted he won't probabely be competing against our top line, but as a third and fourth line role he will be given an opportunity in training camp to show what he has, and it's up to him and the team along with what the coach and GM see how it pans out. Again Hexy want players to show and want to play for this organization, and every year there is going to be new spots up for grab, even the rookies have a legitimate shot To Make The Team If THEY can show that they will make the roster better, if they're not better than a vet they go back. This signing is a depth move and he has size and skates well enough, with a potential to be in the NHL if he proves it in training camp, along with Jordan Weal and VV and et all.

as per Meltzer:

Lyubimov said he received interest from "seven to eight" NHL teams after the World Championships and elected to sign with the Flyers because they were the most persistent. 

The player said that he realizes he is "not a world-class star" and is willing to play any role the Flyers ask of him. While he fully intends to battle for an NHL roster spot, he said that he's willing to spend time in the American Hockey League if it comes to that. The player, who said he speaks some very rudimentary English but not enough to be self-sufficient in conversation, has already started to work with a tutor and plans to make learning the language his top priority along with adapting to the North American style game.

Hextall has repeatedly said that no roster spot is guaranteed. 

I think Read is the guy he might replace.

Hextall has shown that he is willing to send guys to the AHL to free up roster spots and I have a feeling Read might be headed down.

Archived