Gretzky Never Did This

ScottM

933c0520a1bf90fc27a37ab772f7a165_crop_no

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2669749-connor-mcdavid-became-1st-oiler-to-begin-season-with-back-to-back-3-point-games

Last night, Connor McDavid accomplished an offensive feat that not even the great one ever pulled off in Edmonton. He became the first player in Oilers history to record consecutive three point games to start a season. The Next One?

27 minutes ago, ScottM said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2669749-connor-mcdavid-became-1st-oiler-to-begin-season-with-back-to-back-3-point-games

Last night, Connor McDavid accomplished an offensive feat that not even the great one ever pulled off in Edmonton. He became the first player in Oilers history to record consecutive three point games to start a season. The Next One?

He was already The Next One five years ago.

On 10/15/2016 at 11:51 AM, flyercanuck said:

He was already The Next One five years ago.

The thing is, back then, it was nothing but hype. It's very early, but he's already giving us indications that he's a true generational talent. We've seen plenty of hyped guys not pan out in the past. He appears to be the real deal.

On 10/15/2016 at 0:23 PM, ScottM said:

The clock is ticking. I'd say the Oilers have ~5-6 years of McDavid before he marries a Hollywood actress, moves to LA (to escape the Edmonton fishbowl of course), and gets traded to the Kings***.  :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

***Anaheim and San Jose are also viable options as well. 

53 minutes ago, ScottM said:

The thing is, back then, it was nothing but hype. It's very early, but he's already giving us indications that he's a true generational talent. We've seen plenty of hyped guys not pan out in the past. He appears to be the real deal.

While I get what you're saying, McDavid had generational talent, not just hype, labelled on him since he was about ten. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

While I get what you're saying, McDavid had generational talent, not just hype, labelled on him since he was about ten. 

But you have to remember that as a Sens fan, I think of Alexandre Daigle. He was that kind of player, and there was absolutely no way he could possibly miss... We could've drafted Pronger or Kariya...

Just now, ScottM said:

But you have to remember that as a Sens fan, I think of Alexandre Daigle. He was that kind of player, and there was absolutely no way he could possibly miss... We could've drafted Pronger or Kariya...

Daigle was never Mcdavid. Ever. McDavid loves hockey. Daigle had talent, but he never really wanted to play.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Daigle was never Mcdavid. Ever. McDavid loves hockey. Daigle had talent, but he never really wanted to play.

I definitely get that. I'm just saying that when it comes to my personal analysis of a player as an NHL talent, that's why I don't care what anyone thinks about them until they actually get to the show. Of course, it has to be said that I'm looking at this as a fan and not a scout, which is certainly not the same thing.

• 6 months later...

Good catch and thread, Scott! :cheers:

And McDavid performed this incredible feat right after 

a season in which he missed 37 games from injury. 

Very Lemieuxesque. :redhockey:

And he did this not long after Jack Eichel said he was 

better than Connor. Very McDavidesque. ;) 

CM > JE on PPG this season and in their rookie campaigns.

What's incredible to me too are all the times I've seen

McDavid set his teammates up so well but they don't convert. 

• 2 months later...

I think that he is the next Wayne Gretzky and he proved it in his amazing year of 100 points and it's only his second year. In my opinion, if he will continue like that he will have the amazing career and will be considered in the same category as Sydney Crosby and Wayne Gretzky. He already compared to them and rightly and he is the pride of Canadian hockey. I predict for him a great career and I think that he has no limit to what he could achieve because of his amazing talent and abilities.

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2016 at 3:45 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

The clock is ticking. I'd say the Oilers have ~5-6 years of McDavid before he marries a Hollywood actress, moves to LA (to escape the Edmonton fishbowl of course), and gets traded to the Kings***.  :bigteeth:

Trade him to the Pens! 

McDavid looks like second coming of M. Lemeiux to me.  Long stride, deceptive (scary) speed, great stickhandling- without the bad back.  I don't think Eichel is in same league.   McDavid and Matthews could rule the league for years to come.  Next question:  who among young stars could become the next Bobby Orr (greatest D of all time, IMHO).

On 10/17/2016 at 3:45 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

The clock is ticking. I'd say the Oilers have ~5-6 years of McDavid before he marries a Hollywood actress, moves to LA (to escape the Edmonton fishbowl of course), and gets traded to the Kings***.  :bigteeth:

correction.....traded to Vegas to build that market!! haha

Archived