This Team Gets Better With MDZ & Gudas right?

King Knut

Ya a better partner would free up Gostisbehere to do what he does best. In a year or two Provorov will be an ideal partner for him. Provorov looks to me like he thinks D first but he's also got great offensive instincts. And he's not slow. In time he's going to be something special. For now though it's slim pickins on D for the Flyers.

That said Ghost has to hit the target when he's got (relatively) wide open shooting lanes. Last night in the 3rd he had two chances from the point. Fleury was ripe for the picking, even if the shot doesn't hit twine the Flyers could've pounced on the rebound.

21 hours ago, canoli said:

Ya a better partner would free up Gostisbehere to do what he does best. In a year or two Provorov will be an ideal partner for him. Provorov looks to me like he thinks D first but he's also got great offensive instincts. And he's not slow. In time he's going to be something special. For now though it's slim pickins on D for the Flyers.

That said Ghost has to hit the target when he's got (relatively) wide open shooting lanes. Last night in the 3rd he had two chances from the point. Fleury was ripe for the picking, even if the shot doesn't hit twine the Flyers could've pounced on the rebound.

Ghost listened to you last night... its just that it was against the Canes... and t's a lot easier to score :)

I'd tend to put someone like Morin with Ghost.  Provo and Ghost are similar in that they both skate so smoothly and quickly and are capable of seeing and making strong outlet passes.  

Provo is not thinking Defense first enough IMHO.  Especially not when he's making a relatively easy play on a loose puck or in those instances when he's lost control at the point or in the neutral zone and they've ended up in our own net.

He looks to be trying to recover and move the puck forward or make a fantastic play out of it, and instead underestimates his opponent and gets his pocket picked.  

This is part of why I'm glad he's up here as he could obviously get away with that crap in juniors and it's a major difference in the skill set here in the pros.  

WHen he screws up like that or the puck bounces he just needs to give up the fantastic recovery and play it safe.  Chase back into his zone and outskate the forechecker (as I'm sure he can) and start over.  It's not fancy.  It's not going to make the highlight reel, but it's going to help from losing games.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

So what do you think is going through his head when he coughs up those pucks that end up in goals like last night?

He is 19 and leaning still adjusting to the NHL. It's all. He is still the best defensive defenseman on the team.

Still.

And he ain't getting much help from his partner either. 

BqOB0LNCcAA8MV9.jpg

I'm more concerned with his 38 year old "veteran"!!!!!!

There will be more so be prepared or you may not want to watch.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is 19 and leaning still adjusting to the NHL. It's all. He is still the best defensive defenseman on the team.

Still.

And he ain't getting much help from his partner either. 

BqOB0LNCcAA8MV9.jpg

I'm more concerned with his 38 year old "veteran"!!!!!!

There will be more so be prepared or you may not want to watch.

More what?  more GIFs?  

I'm specifically just talking about these recurring situations where Provo's head seems to be up ice before his stick has the puck.  I love his game.  I've said that and I think I said that in the initial post in question.  He's learning.  He's young.  I'm glad he's here.  

He's cost us a few goals in not having his head first and foremost in protecting his own net in that kind of situation.  I'm sure it gets better soon.  

Streit needs to be gone.  MDZ needs to be back and stay healthy.

Mac can be our #7 or go to the Phants.  

All that said, when you're the last man back bringing the puck out of your own zone, you shouldn't need "help" making sure you get across your own blue line.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

More what?  more GIFs?  

I'm specifically just talking about these recurring situations where Provo's head seems to be up ice before his stick has the puck.  I love his game.  I've said that and I think I said that in the initial post in question.  He's learning.  He's young.  I'm glad he's here.  

He's cost us a few goals in not having his head first and foremost in protecting his own net in that kind of situation.  I'm sure it gets better soon.  

Streit needs to be gone.  MDZ needs to be back and stay healthy.

Mac can be our #7 or go to the Phants.  

All that said, when you're the last man back bringing the puck out of your own zone, you shouldn't need "help" making sure you get across your own blue line.  

I agree.   I even agree that he doesn't think defense first enough.  

instead underestimates his opponent and gets his pocket picked.  

I think the above might be on point.    I'm willing to say he does actually think defense first, but sometimes is too aggressive (is that the right word?  I don't think so) in it.    He seems to want to turn a defensive play into offense.  Sometimes too quickly.  And sometimes it fails because, as you say, he underestimates the closing speed and size of his opponent and maybe thinks he has a little bit more time than he actually does.

That timing will come with playing, and you've said as much.   I agree.  It's just the growing pains he'll have to go through, but I'm confident he'll get there.

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I agree.   I even agree that he doesn't think defense first enough.  

I think the above might be on point.    I'm willing to say he does actually think defense first, but sometimes is too aggressive (is that the right word?  I don't think so) in it.    He seems to want to turn a defensive play into offense.  Sometimes too quickly.  And sometimes it fails because, as you say, he underestimates the closing speed and size of his opponent and maybe thinks he has a little bit more time than he actually does.

That timing will come with playing, and you've said as much.   I agree.  It's just the growing pains he'll have to go through, but I'm confident he'll get there.

Me too.

I think people misconstrue my posts on this subject as abjectly critical or as reasoning for why he shouldn't be playing when the exact opposite is true.

Constructive criticism is all it is and I absolutely think he must be playing now and needs to stay playing because getting used to the speed and size of the NHL game isn't going to happen in Juniors.  He's an NHL player now and these are the growing pains of that adjustment.  

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Guess we'll find out saturday. Del Zotto to be back.

MDZ/Provorov

Manning/Ghost

Streit/Gudas

That would be how i roll it....

Yeah can't argue.  It's tough because MDZ is probably going to have some rust to shake off first game back and all, and I'd like to see Schultz in there I think they are hurting without him in the lineup and short his skill set... but I'm not sure how you can bump Streit out at this point either. 

Hopefully they hey can all stay healthy, contribute and find a trade for Streit and/ or Schultz. 

1 hour ago, peter puck said:

Unfortunately provo will probably sit. They need amac to get atleast 41 games so hes expansion eligible. 

I highly doubt it's Provorov.   They'll platoon Mac & Schultz.

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Doesnt someone have to go to the AHL?

Yes. i think Laughton will come off IR and be sent to the Phantoms to make room.

When Raffl is ready then Lubimov can be sent down to make room to carry the extra Dmen.

Not saying all this would happen just that it could.

When you sneak into the playoffs and draft 17th you do not get better overnight. I have said it 100 times and I will say it again. The Flyer way of finishing 8th will not get you a Cup. If you are going to rebuild, then rebuild. 

Edmonton, Toronto, Buffalo, Carolina, will all seriously contend before the Flyers. When you strive for mediocrity thats what you get. At least its entertaining this year

On 10/30/2016 at 9:09 AM, OccamsRazor said:

What Ghost needs is a good steady partner i feel bad for the kid having to play with guys like Mcdud and Schultz.

HE needs a guy he can compliment so he can get back to concentrating on the offensive side of his game.

Someone like Morin maybe.

Archived