Hoffman crosscheck Couture in head, Vlasic spears/slashes Karlsson in face??

J0e Th0rnton

Hoffman, Vlasic, Turris....and especially Couture and Karlsson....thugs...ALL of them.....throw the book at them.

Show them this kind of goon behavior WON'T be tolerated in today's NHL.

These guys make Marty McSorley and Brantt Myhres look like complete wusses by comparison..............  :ph34r:

These type of shots stem from the NHL trying to remove fighting from Hockey. Players are being trained to not go after the cheap shots and rather take the penalty. There is little fear of reprisal in today's game due to the high penalty for making someone answer for said hits. The sad part is that these cowardly shots will only grow worse from here on out.

Dirty hits both, we'll have to see that the great NHL wheel of Justice says. The skeptical person in me says that I don't expect much while the hockey fan in me says throw the book at them.    

With the Hoffman hit, how can anyone look at this and NOT see an intent to injure another player.  He chases him without the puck and goes directly at the back of the head.  Now if the NHLPA had ANY concern about the welfare of its players and concussions, they TO would ask for an out of control player to be suspended.   Sarcasm Mode On But alas, whatever discipline that comes will be immediately appealed by the NHLPA because its obvious that his real intent was just to viciously crosscheck Couture in the back but the other Shark lifted his stick.  Any contact to the head was simply accidental. Sarcasm Mode Off

Would like to see a better view of Vlasic spear and I can't tell where it gets it, but its still a dirty greasy play.  The NHL may look at it as he wasn't injured so it must not have been bad.  But intent should be considered because there is only one intent there, to injure in some way another player. 

I dunno...

I could probably hear more of the old "this wouldn't happen if the players were allowed to police themselves" argument if we could go back to the 70s and 80s, when goons grazed on the plains in great numbers, and see a lack of cheapshots, but we know that's not the case. There have always been cheap and dirty players doing cheap and dirty things, whether there was a lot of fighting or not. Suspension and fines? Now THAT is what really hurts a player, and is much more likely to cut the nonsense, imo.

Short of that, this is just what hockey is like sometimes.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

There have always been cheap and dirty players doing cheap and dirty things, whether there was a lot of fighting or not.

Agree but they still knew they were going to have to answer for it. That does not apply anymore. The instigator penalty should have followed Fox's glowing puck out the door. With the shot that Hoffman gave, he should have had to be carried off the ice. That was approaching Chris Simon/Todd Bartuzzi level cheapness. I just get sick and tired of watching players like Roussel skating around and getting away with murder and when somebody finally steps up to make him answer, he gets tossed and a major for returning the stick work with a slash to the leg.

9 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

Can't really see anything from the Vlasic issue on a phone.  Surely there's better video somewhere? 

unfortunately no.

But I can tell he took a swing at his face with his stick(And missed)

As far as I know, Vlasic got fined.

Archived