(General) Guidelines for Being a Flyers Fan

mkscrewy

When I was a kid my father had taped on his tool box this list of Murphy's Law rules. Stuff like "If you play with something long enough, it will eventually break," and "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." He probably cut it out of a newspaper when he was 18 when wrenching on this sweet 1967 Bullitt-era Mustang fastback. The par-for-the-course kind of stuff when you plan on doing a quick 20-minute fix on your car. I was thinking with our recent spate of winning 10 games and then our apparent course of trying to lose 10 games, I would try to apply some of the same kind of knowledge from watching the Flyers over the last 30 years. These could probably be applied to anyone's favorite team, but this is a Flyers forum. Feel free to add your own.

1. If an opposing player is going through a goal drought, he will undoubtedly score against us.

1A: If that opposing player going through a goal drought happens to be a former Flyer, that goal will be the GWG.

2. If an opposing team has a young superstar, he will make us look stupid.

3. If an opposing team is on a losing streak, they will win against us—probably embarrassing us in the process.

4. If an opposing team needs to guarantee a win, they will play their backup goalie. Or their third-string goalie. Or their fourth-string goalie.

5. If the Flyers win, we are the best.

6. If the Flyers lose, we are the worst.

7. If the Flyers lose, it's the goalies fault.

Corollary A: Then it's the captain's fault.

Corollary B: Then it's the coach's fault.

Corollary C: But ultimately, it's Snider's fault.

8. Ed Snider is simultaneously the best owner in all of pro sports and the worst thing to happen to the Flyers.

9. Followed by Clarke.

10. If the Flyers are on the power play, they must shoot at all times.

11. If they score, being happy is forbidden. You may briefly clap, but then you must slump back in your seat and grumble under your breath, "Finally."

12. A 20+ shot differential in our favor does not equal a win. In fact, it nearly promises a loss. 

13. If we are winning by a big margin at the start of the third, that lead will be very small by the end of the third period.

13A: Or we lose in regulation.

13B: But probably in the shootout.

14. Crater

Godammit I hate losing.

8 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

When I was a kid my father had taped on his tool box this list of Murphy's Law rules. Stuff like "If you play with something long enough, it will eventually break," and "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." He probably cut it out of a newspaper when he was 18 when wrenching on this sweet 1967 Bullitt-era Mustang fastback. The par-for-the-course kind of stuff when you plan on doing a quick 20-minute fix on your car. I was thinking with our recent spate of winning 10 games and then our apparent course of trying to lose 10 games, I would try to apply some of the same kind of knowledge from watching the Flyers over the last 30 years. These could probably be applied to anyone's favorite team, but this is a Flyers forum. Feel free to add your own.

1. If an opposing player is going through a goal drought, he will undoubtedly score against us.

1A: If that opposing player going through a goal drought happens to be a former Flyer, that goal will be the GWG.

2. If an opposing team has a young superstar, he will make us look stupid.

3. If an opposing team is on a losing streak, they will win against us—probably embarrassing us in the process.

4. If an opposing team needs to guarantee a win, they will play their backup goalie. Or their third-string goalie. Or their fourth-string goalie.

5. If the Flyers win, we are the best.

6. If the Flyers lose, we are the worst.

7. If the Flyers lose, it's the goalies fault.

Corollary A: Then it's the captain's fault.

Corollary B: Then it's the coach's fault.

Corollary C: But ultimately, it's Snider's fault.

8. Ed Snider is simultaneously the best owner in all of pro sports and the worst thing to happen to the Flyers.

9. Followed by Clarke.

10. If the Flyers are on the power play, they must shoot at all times.

11. If they score, being happy is forbidden. You may briefly clap, but then you must slump back in your seat and grumble under your breath, "Finally."

12. A 20+ shot differential in our favor does not equal a win. In fact, it nearly promises a loss. 

13. If we are winning by a big margin at the start of the third, that lead will be very small by the end of the third period.

13A: Or we lose in regulation.

13B: But probably in the shootout.

14. Crater

Godammit I hate losing.

I agree with the qualification that most of this applies from 1989 or so onward....before that a lot of this stuff rarely applied

@mkscrewy

Well done sir...

May I add to #4 on the list.  When said back-up, third, or fourth string goalie gets the start against the Flyers they are guaranteed a 30+ save shutout.  Also any rookie goalie making their NHL debut against the Flyers is also guaranteed a 30+ save shutout.

Archived