Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

12 hours ago, NRH said:

Wonder if they'll keep Weal up even when Koceny is ready to go.

One of the things I can't get a handle on with Weal is, is he fast ?

When I think of smaller guys, I think of Connor Sheary types that just blaze, I don't think Weal has that kind of speed.

What he seems to have in abundance is great hockey sense / IQ, he's always around the puck, he's always in a position to get a shot off, or a deflection and his shot is pretty decent.

His shoot out goal last night was a beauty, not one bit of movement and snap it's behind Reimer.  that was some sick **** that I haven't seen from a Flyer since Lil' Paul McCartney retired.

Is there room on the team for another smallish guy with middling speed ? for me he needs to score like a mother-fer to think the "braintrust" will keep him around.  Is he a guy that has "it" ?  I hope we get to see the rest of this year.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I roofed a backhander in a game two weeks ago.

almost had an empty net hattie a few weeks ago...the other team pulled their goalie with about a minute and a half left...I shot the puck down and just as it was about to go in their dman swept it wide, while knocking the net off in the process. About 20 seconds later I get the puck again, skate over centre and fire it into the net. My linemate was offside!. Shortly after that it comes to me again and this time I actually score. 

I know if either of the first two go in I likely don't get another shot...but it's the closest I've ever seen anyone come to getting an empty net hattrick.

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

When I think of smaller guys, I think of Connor Sheary types that just blaze, I don't think Weal has that kind of speed.

What he seems to have in abundance is great hockey sense / IQ, he's always around the puck, he's always in a position to get a shot off, or a deflection and his shot is pretty decent.

His shoot out goal last night was a beauty, not one bit of movement and snap it's behind Reimer.  that was some sick **** that I haven't seen from a Flyer since Lil' Paul McCartney retired.

Is there room on the team for another smallish guy with middling speed ? for me he needs to score like a mother-fer to think the "braintrust" will keep him around.  Is he a guy that has "it" ?  I hope we get to see the rest of this year.

Bahahaha! I've never heard that before, but I immediately knew who you were talking about.

Well done!

31 minutes ago, brelic said:

Protect Weal, expose Raffl. 

We have an abundance of bottom six players, of which Raffl is one. 

We have a lack of top six scorers, of which Weal could be. We know Raffl isn't. 

So, bye bye Raffl.

This is my gut too.  Weal is making it harder to think otherwise with each passing game.

I'm reluctant to some extent because of his size, but I think they've been leaning on Raffl being "Good at the little things" a little too much and frankly they need someone who will be good at the big things (like finding the net) which Weal has been managing to do in a few games.  

TK             G          Simmer

Schenner  Filp      Jake

Weal         Coots   Read

Weise       PEB      Cousins

Provo       Mac

Gudas      Ghost

Sanheim   Manning / Morin

Stolarz 

Neuwirth

I would LOVE to see them sign someone old, cagey and rough on Defense to put Manning in the Press box and guide the kids for a year or two.    I'd settle for younger in a trade if need be too ( a Hjalmarsson trade has been discussed elsewhere because Chicago may wish to protect someone else).  

Chatter (and it just Chatter) is that Hextall may still wish to give Bishop a deal for a couple of years.  This really only makes sense if McPhee goes for Neuwirth or if Hextall unloads Stolarz somehow (maybe in a trade for a Hjalmarsson type).  

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

almost had an empty net hattie a few weeks ago...the other team pulled their goalie with about a minute and a half left...I shot the puck down and just as it was about to go in their dman swept it wide, while knocking the net off in the process. About 20 seconds later I get the puck again, skate over centre and fire it into the net. My linemate was offside!. Shortly after that it comes to me again and this time I actually score. 

I know if either of the first two go in I likely don't get another shot...but it's the closest I've ever seen anyone come to getting an empty net hattrick.

EPIC

I'm taking the year off hockey to rehab my knee and broken down body. I miss it, but mostly I miss the beer and the boys.

We had a silly dot com hockey game once about...20 years ago? Pretty fun. We played roller and broke the net (I built it out of schedule 40 PVC, someone dinged a slapper), but it was a really great time. I have NO IDEA who the other posters who showed up were anymore.

33 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

We had a silly dot com hockey game once about...20 years ago? Pretty fun. We played roller and broke the net (I built it out of schedule 40 PVC, someone dinged a slapper), but it was a really great time. I have NO IDEA who the other posters who showed up were anymore.

It was likely SF88s sister who broke the net!

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Flyers never get guys like that.  They are one of the smallest teams in the league yet they are one of the slowest.  Even Konecny isn't the fastest.  I'm hoping that maybe he can get a little quicker as he matures.

1 minute ago, icehole said:

Even Konecny isn't the fastest.

Sometimes I wonder if you and I watch the team/players.

Konecny isn't McDavid be he's far from being a pylon. 

I haven't watched him yet and thought, geez that guy is slow.  In fact I've been impressed by how fast he is with the puck on his stick.

13 minutes ago, icehole said:

Flyers never get guys like that.  They are one of the smallest teams in the league yet they are one of the slowest.  Even Konecny isn't the fastest.  I'm hoping that maybe he can get a little quicker as he matures.

Konecny isn't fast? 

9ec767da2a31046c94fd04eba0b9af8e.jpg

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

Sometimes I wonder if you and I watch the team/players.

Konecny isn't McDavid be he's far from being a pylon. 

I haven't watched him yet and thought, geez that guy is slow.  In fact I've been impressed by how fast he is with the puck on his stick.

I'm not saying he's slow.  You mentioned weal, and I think TK is in the same boat right now.  You say he's not "McDavid" fast.  I bet there are probably 50 guys in the league that are faster than McDavid, but you will never hear of them because they don't have the skills to be well known.  They didn't do a fastest skater competition for every player in the league or maybe we would see who is actually the fastest skater.

I want guys that can pull away.  How many clean breakaways have the flyers had this season?  How many did Konecny have?  I saw Bellemare, on the PK the other night, receive a pass behind the PP point guys, the crowd got excited, and 3 guys caught up to him and were in good position by the blue line.

3 minutes ago, icehole said:

bet there are probably 50 guys in the league that are faster than McDavid, but you will never hear of them because they don't have the skills to be well known.  

I am not buying that one whatsoever.... McDavid has some flat-out wheels - game changing wheels.

Just now, murraycraven said:

I am not buying that one whatsoever.... McDavid has some flat-out wheels - game changing wheels.

He can definitely move.  I think he looks a lot faster because he never loses the puck while moving at full speed.  Voracek is fast but he can't hold onto the damn puck.

Just now, icehole said:

He can definitely move.  I think he looks a lot faster because he never loses the puck while moving at full speed.  Voracek is fast but he can't hold onto the damn puck.

maybe.... but he is super fast.   I am not sure I would say anyone in the league is faster.   Certainly not 50 people....

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

50 guys faster than Mcdavid? 

Name 5

I can't because, like I said, they aren't good enough to know who they are.

I'm just saying that if you think McDavid is the fastest skater in the league because he won a competition against a few other all star skaters, I think you're misguided.

But enough about McDavid, flyers don't have any burners.

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

50 guys faster than Mcdavid? 

Name 5

as of right now I don't think I could think of one....

He beat Kucherov pretty handily this year... Larkin has the fastest ever but will a running start!!

4 minutes ago, icehole said:

I can't because, like I said, they aren't good enough to know who they are.

I'm just saying that if you think McDavid is the fastest skater in the league because he won a competition against a few other all star skaters, I think you're misguided.

But enough about McDavid, flyers don't have any burners.

That is like saying Wayne Gretzky scored the most goals but other players can score as well but aren't good enough to know who they are....  

I do think you make a fair point about the Flyers not having any burners.   TK has speed, G had speed before... I do agree that speed is a much needed component on this squad.   Having some size and speed would very much help this club.

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

That is like saying Wayne Gretzky scored the most goals but other players can score as well but aren't good enough to know who they are....   

Well then maybe I'm not explaining it right.

I feel like saying "McDavid is the fastest skater" is like saying Andre the giant is the biggest person in the world or Michael Jordan was the longest jumper in his day.  That's not the case, but Andre the giant was the largest person that people would see on TV, and Michael Jordan was the best player in the world, so people assume that they are greater at everything they do.

Gretzky did score the most goals, but I bet there is some 10 year old kid on YouTube right now that has more skills than Gretzky and McDavid.  You'll probably never know who he is because he doesn't have what it takes to be known.

Why are we still talking about this?

Archived