When should the Flyers Make Simmons Captain?

hf101

When should the Flyers Make Simmons Captain?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. When should the Flyers Make Simmons Captain?

• Now
    • During the Off Season
    • Giroux should stay Captain
    • Neither Simmonds or Giroux should be Captain

One of the poll choices should be "Does it really matter?"  I don't think it would make any difference if they switched the C.  There has been a void in that position going back to Primeau,  imho.

If I had to pick, it seems Simmonds has been a better leader but adding the C wouldn't change that or improve the team's outlook.  This team has been in a funk for awhile now, going through many coaches and captains.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me. 

Is there anyone at home?

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon  .........

The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon  .........

The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb

Collect call from Mr. Pilldoc to Mr. Pilldoc do you accept the charges?

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Collect call from Mr. Pilldoc to Mr. Pilldoc do you accept the charges?

So ya
Thought ya
Might like to
Go to the show.

To feel that warm thrill of confusion,
That space cadet glow.
I've got some bad news for you sunshine,
Pink Giroux isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel
And they sent us along as a surrogate band  team
We're gonna find out where you us fans* really stand.

I'd love to know what the atmosphere or mood in the locker room is currently or has been for the season.  Is that part of the problem with G?  Is there some sort of revolt or point making going on with or related to the new coach?  Maybe it's more than G's physical ability to play.  What's the mental situation like with him and the whole room, for that matter?  Are there factions?  Having watched this team play all year, to me, it's seemed more like a major attitude problem.  No grit, no hustle, no growl, no willingness, no heart, no --- you fill in the blank..

1 hour ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

I'd love to know what the atmosphere or mood in the locker room is currently or has been for the season.  Is that part of the problem with G?  Is there some sort of revolt or point making going on with or related to the new coach?  Maybe it's more than G's physical ability to play.  What's the mental situation like with him and the whole room, for that matter?  Are there factions?  Having watched this team play all year, to me, it's seemed more like a major attitude problem.  No grit, no hustle, no growl, no willingness, no heart, no --- you fill in the blank..

Very astute observation... I would love to be a fly on the locker room wall.

I don't see why you'd rip away the letter from Giroux and then expect him to play better after doing so or how you think the changing of the letters will affect the locker room positively.

Do you really think the assistant captain is being smothered by the captain in the locker room? Do you think on the ice simmonds is making play calls that are being instantly countered by Giroux? On the beach during commercial time outs Giroux is silencing simmonds to undermine him?

I don't think you'll like his performance once the C is removed, so you might as well keep it on him unless you plan to trade him during the offseason.

On 2/26/2017 at 10:11 PM, Cheesesteak said:

One of the poll choices should be "Does it really matter?"  I don't think it would make any difference if they switched the C.  There has been a void in that position going back to Primeau,  imho.

If I had to pick, it seems Simmonds has been a better leader but adding the C wouldn't change that or improve the team's outlook.  This team has been in a funk for awhile now, going through many coaches and captains.

That's a good question.  Giroux hasn't really been the same on the ice since 2012.  Does his mediocrity strike you as a leader you want to take your team to higher level?  Does Giroux put it all out on the ice to lead by example?  Do you view Giroux as a game changer?  

If you believe the answer to those questions is yes most nights of season then changing captains probably won't matter.

4 hours ago, NRH said:

I don't see why you'd rip away the letter from Giroux and then expect him to play better after doing so or how you think the changing of the letters will affect the locker room positively.

Do you really think the assistant captain is being smothered by the captain in the locker room? Do you think on the ice simmonds is making play calls that are being instantly countered by Giroux? On the beach during commercial time outs Giroux is silencing simmonds to undermine him?

I don't think you'll like his performance once the C is removed, so you might as well keep it on him unless you plan to trade him during the offseason.

I dunno, a lot was made of the Sharks change of captain from Thornton to Pavelski.   At the time they made the move the Sharks were struggling to take their game to a higher level.  The Sharks didn't trade Thornton when they removed the C.  But it gave them a new voice.  Why does Giroux have to be moved if it is time to change the leadership of the team?

I don't think your 2nd paragraph is a reason the Flyers might change the Captaincy to Simmonds.  I don't think there is issues like that at all.  Why couldn't Giroux support Simmonds in the same manner Simmonds has supported Giroux over the last few years?  I think Simmonds is more likely to be that game changer and to lead by example in effort on the ice.  Maybe he has a louder voice, maybe he's a better motivator.   

My vote was to make a change over the summer.   Let Giroux just worry about his own play.  Make a change because nothing has changed with this team since 2012.  Make a change to start the year off in a new direction under a different voice in the locker room.  

I just don't see how changing the letter is going to bolster Simmonds' voice on the team or what it'll change at all, it's more likely going to negatively affect Giroux than positively affect the team. 

Not sure about the Sharks but a lot of changes were made that year too and I believe it was a record low for Joe in Games played.

Who are you slapping the two A's on after you give Simmonds the C? Gudas and Vorachek?

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

That's a good question.  Giroux hasn't really been the same on the ice since 2012.  Does his mediocrity strike you as a leader you want to take your team to higher level?  Does Giroux put it all out on the ice to lead by example?  Do you view Giroux as a game changer?  

If you believe the answer to those questions is yes most nights of season then changing captains probably won't matter.

Danny B was still on the team, Chris Pronger was the captain, Jager was his line-mate, Hartnell was doing all the gritty work,nobody else wanted to do. Wayne and Vorchek and Timmo were all 40-50 point getters.

The team was just a better offensive team under Lavi, I don't really like how they just fired the guy after not winning the play-offs in his short time there, his replacement did a horrible job and then you handed a team in disarray to a college coach trying out the NHL with a team struggling with the cap and direction of the team.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2017 at 11:20 PM, hf101 said:

So what has happened to the Attitude of Captain Giroux?  What we saw back 4 years ago doesn't exist this season.

Is there an issue with Hackstol and Giroux?  Should the Flyers strip Giroux of the C?  Should this be Simmonds team?

I guess now would be a great time.

"I'm a person who tries to get better every year, every day," said Simmonds, who leads the Flyers with 30 goals and has led the team in goal scoring four years now.

"I don't think I really had too many expectations, I just came into it, worked hard and tried to get as far as I could.

"I think I've done a pretty good job thus far and hopefully I can play well into my 30s, I've got a lot more improving to do and a lot more to prove and I look forward to it."

No sense waiting.

But we know it would never happen.

Archived