Is Nashville a better team without Weber?

hf101

I really haven't looked at the stats on this, but the trade sending Weber to Montreal for Subban looks to be a major factor in this playoff sweep of the Blackhawks.

thoughts?

I don't know if I would say the Preds are 'better' with Subban in lieu of Weber, but I WOULD say, it certainly changed the dynamic of the team. A different flavor if you will.

And one that apparently fits what Peter Laviolette is trying to instill with this team.

Not that there was anything wrong with it, but Weber's style is anchored in more defense with a bit of scoring, while Subban is more fast paced, more offensively oriented, and he carries a bit more 'swagger' to him....which ultimately rubs off on the rest of the team, especially if they are winning.

If I remember correctly, all of Laviolette's teams (the previous Hurricanes and Flyers teams) were more offensively oriented and always seemed to play with a chip on their shoulders that helped fuel their play on the ice.

Of course, Laviolette's teams in the past have been criticized a bit in the areas of defense and goaltending (though don't tell that to the Carolina team that won the Cup in the mid 2000's!), but with this Nashville team, he seems to have the right balance of offense, defense, goaltending, snipers and grinders.

I said it before, and I'll say it again...Nashville UNDERACHIEVED during the regular season. That has led many to underestimate how good the team really is.

But they have proved, at least through Round 1, that they certainly deserve to be there.

To be honest, while Subban's adjustment to life in Smashville certainly has contributed to this team being what it is, lots of  credit has to be given to the top line players who have really stepped up their games and just have been getting better as the seasons go on.

Filip Forsberg, Roman Josi, Ryan Ellis...and the emergence of Viktor Arvidsson, who reminds me a bit of a Swedish version of Nikita Kucherov!

Oh, and let's not forget the acquisition of Ryan Johansson, who has stabilized the top center position.

Add to that, excellent role players like Mike Fisher, Craig Smith, Calle Jarnkrok, and even James Knee-All, and you have the makings of a team that can be good for a number of seasons to come.

Biggest concern for Nashville as a franchise would have to be goaltending. Rinne is getting up there in age and the Preds will need to figure out who will replace him so they don't go through a period of time where they have excellent skaters, but mediocre goaltending.

But Subban for Weber? Hey, I really think both Mtl and Nsh got what they wanted out of that deal, and Nashville isn't necessarily better for that one particular trade, but they sure as hell are different and improved enough to where they CAN skate with the likes of the Hawks, Wild, Ducks and Sharks in the West, while still bringing a tough, playoff-like style each and every game.

I think Subban gave Nashville what it needed, a talented skater and a player that is a good offensive threat. So, yeah they're definitely a better team, but I think they gained confidence until they ran up against the Sharks last season. Arvidsson is becoming clutch for them. The Habs needed more sandpaper and toughness, so they got Weber, and I believe they are better for the deal as well. Call it a win-win.

The trade of Jones for Johansen gave the team a legit 1C and allowed them to slot Fisher into his proper 2C role, the addition of the underrated Fiddler as a P/K defensive zone center allows the others to play more of an offensive role. Those moves are huge.

Fiala has began to come into his own, giving the Preds four puck movers on the back end along with Subban, Josi and Ellis which is enough to make any team jealous.

Forsberg and Arvidsson are a great one two punch as far as scoring wingers go and then throw in Neal, smith, Jarnkrok and Wilson for a deep group of forwards.

Rinne was good but not great in the regular season and may be pushed by Saros as soon as next year.

This is EASILY the deepest team in Nashville history and I am kicking myself that I didn't take the Preds over the Hawks.

If they had kept Weber it would have still been his team and the boys would have been following his lead instead of stepping up and putting their own stamp upon the team. They role three lines, have the games hottest goalie and are four deep on the blueline of skilled players. Moving Weber was the final move to allow this to happen.

28 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think finally getting a #1 centre in Johanson has helped more than the Weber for Subban deal...which to me is presently pretty much a wash.

THIS IMHO with apologies to Jones in Columbus who had a solid year is the number one reason the Preds are still playing and the Jackets are on the golf course this morning.

I wrote elsewhere that the Jackets would lose to the Pens because Wennberg while talented at this point of his career is a 2C and Dubinsky with apologies to my wife who loves the guy is a 3C on the best day of his life. If they had Johansen still at the top of the rotation they might have still lost but would have had a chance.

The Preds without Johansen would have had Fisher as a 1C and Jarnkrok as a 2C and would have been stretched too thin. The trade changed both teams dramatically, it just does not appear so because CBJ had a solid year but the truth is Nashville hosed them on this deal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 10:33 PM, hf101 said:

I really haven't looked at the stats on this, but the trade sending Weber to Montreal for Subban looks to be a major factor in this playoff sweep of the Blackhawks.

thoughts?

Perhaps you should have watched some of the games?  Chicago was a complete and utter mess in that series.  They had no discipline or coordination. Did not play as a unit and for a team that had won those Cups, they were disgraceful.  The old Devil teams back in the early 90's played as a unit so well that they almost upset the best team of the decade.  The 94 NY Rangers.  That was a  team that was firing on all cylinders.  But they had to beat that very disciplined and well coached Devils team in perhaps the best series of hockey I have ever seen in 50 years.  It was one for the ages.  Messier calling the game.  Kind of like Babe Ruth calling the shot.  The Blackhawks might need to replace Quenville.  A good coach that had his run.  But I do not believe he still has control of some very big ego players like Patrick Kane.  Quennville"make sure you are back checking and covering the man on your side in transition".  Kane " I someone pass me the doughnuts.  What did you just say?"  A crude example but you get the idea. Tell that old man to stop yapping and go get a life. Its time to fire Quenville.  Or is it time to trade Kane to Buffalo so he feels at home?  LOL

Oh.  NO NO NO.    Just because they beat  a bunch of spoiled millionaires that have read too many press clippings of how good and unbeatable they are, it does not mean squat. St Louis beat Chicago last year if you remember.  Then they were so used up and happy for have beating them, they forgot they had to go out and beat a very determined Sharks team.  This time they are better prepared.  Nashville are in uncharted waters.  And they are full of not Sharks, but sea monsters like Teresenko.  

Sea Monsters like TArAsenko? You mean the guy you think is the best player in the NHL...who sits 30th in points. He's 5 points ahead of whoever the Milwaukee Bucks draft in the 7th round next year in NHL playoff scoring. 

22 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sea Monsters like TArAsenko? You mean the guy you think is the best player in the NHL...who sits 30th in points. He's 5 points ahead of whoever the Milwaukee Bucks draft in the 7th round next year in NHL playoff scoring. 

This isn't the first time this has been corrected.  See if it sticks for you.

On 4/29/2017 at 0:50 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

Perhaps you should have watched some of the games?  Chicago was a complete and utter mess in that series.  They had no discipline or coordination. Did not play as a unit and for a team that had won those Cups, they were disgraceful.  The old Devil teams back in the early 90's played as a unit so well that they almost upset the best team of the decade.  The 94 NY Rangers.  That was a  team that was firing on all cylinders.  But they had to beat that very disciplined and well coached Devils team in perhaps the best series of hockey I have ever seen in 50 years.  It was one for the ages.  Messier calling the game.  Kind of like Babe Ruth calling the shot.  The Blackhawks might need to replace Quenville.  A good coach that had his run.  But I do not believe he still has control of some very big ego players like Patrick Kane.  Quennville"make sure you are back checking and covering the man on your side in transition".  Kane " I someone pass me the doughnuts.  What did you just say?"  A crude example but you get the idea. Tell that old man to stop yapping and go get a life. Its time to fire Quenville.  Or is it time to trade Kane to Buffalo so he feels at home?  LOL

So what does "Chicago" and "Quenneville" have to do with why Nashville seems to be a better team with Subban than with Weber?

45 minutes ago, hf101 said:

So what does "Chicago" and "Quenneville" have to do with why Nashville seems to be a better team with Subban than with Weber?

No idea.   But personally, I liked Wicked better than Chicago, anyway.

I admit that I'm prejudiced in Subban's favor.  

But, to me, the fact that he's four years younger indicates that Nashville got the best of the deal.   

Instead of trading away Subban, Canadien's should have kicked Therrien's sorry ass out the door.

7 minutes ago, blocker said:

I admit that I'm prejudiced in Subban's favor.  

But, to me, the fact that he's four years younger indicates that Nashville got the best of the deal.   

Instead of trading away Subban, Canadien's should have kicked Therrien's sorry ass out the door.

To think they actually re-hired him. A total head-scratcher.

Archived