Knights deals-so far

6 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a regular-season game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL, IHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

There is no limit to the number of players on the roster but only 5 veterans can play in a game.  

The Wolves have long operated as an independent with a working agreement with the Blues and as such havent been hamstrung by the rules of how many players from the developmental pool they are forced to play nightly. GM Wendell Young has long had more independence.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob McKenzie has posted a ton of tweets this morning...   probably too many to post all as tweets. lol.

Let's start with the Ducks. The belief is VGK will claim Clayton Stoner, pass on Manson/Vatanen and, in return for all of that, get Shea Theodore.

I can't report that as a dead-set certain fact but there is a strong sense that this is the ANA-VGK deal, or something close to it.

Next up, the Blackhawks. Frank Seravalli reported a while back that the net result would be VGK getting Trevor van Riemsdyk and taking on Marcus Krueger.

Next up, the Blue Jackets. @Aportzline has been all over this. Details are in the link below. Pretty much self-explanatory.

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/876031216784474112

Next up, the Panthers. This may be the most interesting of the 8 suspected VGK pre-freeze trades. The surprise here is that FLA left Marchessault exposed.

The presumption of course is that the FLA deal would be to get VGK to lay off taking Marchessault for an asset. But what if it's the opposite?

It was suggested to me that FLA's deal with VGK may actually be for Vegas to end up acquiring both Marchessault and Rielly Smith (also exposed).

Counter-intuitive as it may seem, there's been talk that FLA was actually trying to move both Marchessault and Smith even before VGK entered the picture.

Lately, there's been chatter that VGK have been talking about "secondary" expansion draft trades involving Marchessault/Smith.

Does that mean VGK will get Marchessault/Smith from FLA and subsequently move one or both? Can't report it as fact by any means...

...but the mere possibility, real or imagined, is one of most fascinating expansion draft rumours/reports, call em whatever you like. We'll see.

Next up, the Wild. Looks like RFA Erik Haula is VGK bound with a new contract, along with a prospect. Read @Russostrib for more on that.

In exchange for Haula/prospect, it's believed VGK will lay off exposed Dumba/Scandella/Staal, which means MIN could still trade a D in CHI.

Next up, the Islanders. @StapeNewsday provided these details on Monday night; click on the link below for an explanation:

https://twitter.com/NewsdaySports/status/876958109016743936

Next up, the Penguins. Get sense this may have been the first of all deals done with VGK. PIT sends draft pick to VGK to ensure new home for M-A Fleury.

Fleury, by the way, is expected to be on hand/introduced during the NHL Awards show. As I said Tuesday, he strikes me as the likely face of the VGK franchise.

Finally, the Lightning. "Hearing" VGK may take the Garrison contract from TB. No details beyond that; not yet sure on incentive or anything firm, to be honest.

Those are only expected/rumored/reported pre-freeze deals. VGK bound to have secondary trades on tap, claiming a player, then flipping him.

Many have also been talking about "The Pledge." That is, if VGK did a deal with a team, VGK insisted that team not do any other deals that could harm VGK.

All this, of course, The Pledge that is, was in the context of pre-freeze.

So from the moment a team did a deal with VGK, that team couldn't make a pre-freeze trade with a third party if it affected VGK in any way.

Many rival GMs concede McPhee did an excellent job of maximizing his leverage in a unique situation, the likes of which has never been seen in the NHL.

Net effect, though, is many GMs are chomping at the bit to start making deals again when the "freeze" is lifted at 8 a.m. ET Thursday. Handcuffs off.

Anyway, thanks for indulging in this tweet storm. That's what I know, what I think I know and what I don't know. We'll see today what's what.

Note that Hextall didn't have to make any side deals... :haha:

Pittsburgh having to give up a prospect to ensure the McPhee takes Fleury,   LOL  priceless.  I thought Fleury was a given to be the face of the franchise?

20 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@B21  the Blues will not have their own farm team in 2017-18 as bizzare as that may sound. The Wolves are the farm team of the Knights for next year and the Blues will 'loan' prospects to the team to allow them to play. The AHL/NHL agreement has always been that you are only allowed so many over aged players, so many players who have appeared in X amount of games, ect... but Chicago has always more or less operated as an independent with a handful of Blues players filling out the roster as a way of circumventing the rules. Now St. Louis is going to go an entire season with a few players loaned to the Knights AHL team and the rest of their prospects playing in the ECHL.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I guess that allows the VGK to ease into a system rather than just looking for bodies to fill out NHL, AHL and ECHL rosters.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

Note that Hextall didn't have to make any side deals... :haha:

Pittsburgh having to give up a prospect to ensure the McPhee takes Fleury,   LOL  priceless.  I thought Fleury was a given to be the face of the franchise?

I thought it was a draft pick?

Wild to Send Erik Haula and Alex Tuch to Golden Knights

One of the first reported deals of the day came from Michael Russo of Star Tribune. The deal reported would ensure that the Golden Knights take forward Erik Haula as opposed to taking a player like Matt Dumba, Eric Staal or Marco Scandella. In return for leaving those three players to remain with the Wild, however, Minnesota is sending one of their top prospects in Alex Tuch to the Golden Knights. Additionally, the Wild are sending a future conditional pick to the Golden Knights. Additionally, Russo is reporting that Haula has signed a multi-year extension with the Golden Knights.

SOURCES: #mnwild's Erik Haula signs with Vegas Golden Knights, Alex Tuch likely bound for Vegas by day's end https://t.co/Hxtho3c70x

— Michael Russo (@Russostrib) June 21, 2017

UPDATE: Russo reports Haula signed a three-year deal with the Golden Knights and will count as their selection from the Wild. The Wild will send Alex Tuch and to the Golden Knights for taking Haula. The Golden Knights will send the Wild a conditional future draft pick in the deal.

The Wild drafted Tuch 14th overall in 2014. He scored 18 goals and added 19 assists in 57 games at the AHL level this season.

Haula scored 15 goals and added 11 assists in 72 games this season. The 26-year-old owns 42 goals and 47 assists in 266 career games, all with the Wild.

The one that absolutely baffles me is the Ducks allowing Shea Theodore go to the Knights as part of the package in exchange for the Knights not drafting Josh Manson. Theodore was a first rounder who has shown flashes as a puck mover, a big guy with speed and a potential top pair guy. Manson was a 6th rounder and is big and has a nasty streak but has zero offensive ability, scoring 15 and 17 points in each of the past two years and to top it all off Theodore is four years younger. I would have bought Bieksa out, protected Vatanen and left Manson exposed keeping Theodore as he did not have to be protected. It is just curious to me is all to give up on the enormously talented Theodore to keep Manson.

55 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

The one that absolutely baffles me is the Ducks allowing Shea Theodore go to the Knights as part of the package in exchange for the Knights not drafting Josh Manson. Theodore was a first rounder who has shown flashes as a puck mover, a big guy with speed and a potential top pair guy. Manson was a 6th rounder and is big and has a nasty streak but has zero offensive ability, scoring 15 and 17 points in each of the past two years and to top it all off Theodore is four years younger. I would have bought Bieksa out, protected Vatanen and left Manson exposed keeping Theodore as he did not have to be protected. It is just curious to me is all to give up on the enormously talented Theodore to keep Manson.

They apparently didn't even ask Bieksa to waive his NMC! I guess they feel that they have enough offensive D-men in Fowler, Lindholm and Montour, that Theodore was expendable. I don't quite understand it either......

Word is that none of Raanta, Subban, or Mrzaek were selected. That's surprising to me. Fluery is a given, looks like Berube from the Isles (per Bob M). The only others worth really looking at seem to be Pickard and Grubauer.

34 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Word is that none of Raanta, Subban, or Mrzaek were selected. That's surprising to me. Fluery is a given, looks like Berube from the Isles (per Bob M). The only others worth really looking at seem to be Pickard and Grubauer.

Some analysis today suggested that the VGK brass felt the the goalie UFA market was decent so they steered their expansion draft attentions away from goalies and towards D-man. Expect them to take a lot of D tonight, some of which they will flip. Basically they took a market approach.

Just now, Podein25 said:

Some analysis today suggested that the VGK brass felt the the goalie UFA market was decent so they steered their expansion draft attentions away from goalies and towards D-man. Expect them to take a lot of D tonight, some of which they will flip. Basically they took a market approach.

Well, they don't even have to look at the UFA market. They took guys they got calls from other GMs about.

Just now, Podein25 said:

I read that they had their roster and then someone noted they only had 13 forwards and had to revise.

14 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Well, they don't even have to look at the UFA market. They took guys they got calls from other GMs about.

Yeah, they had it pretty easy. All the leverage, lots of options.

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The whole Theodore thing shocked me also. All I can think of is an off the ice problem or a bad work ethic/bad attitude kinda thing.....cause on the surface, that looks WAY off.

How about his scenario.....Vegas receives 5 first rounders plus thier own....and signs Pasternak and Drisital to 7 million dollar deals, deals that Boston and Edmonton could not match....they give up the 1sts they just gained and have 2 franchise players to build around.

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

How about his scenario.....Vegas receives 5 first rounders plus thier own....and signs Pasternak and Drisital to 7 million dollar deals, deals that Boston and Edmonton could not match....they give up the 1sts they just gained and have 2 franchise players to build around.

Can't do that. The picks given up due to an offer sheet must be the team's own.

That's not to say that the extra picks might not make their own picks expendable, but they can't sign multiple players to 1st rounder offer sheets.

3 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Wow.  Vegas fleeced Florida.  Who the heck was Florida trying to protect to give up a 30 goal scorer in Marchessault, Riley Smith, and a draft pick?!?

Florida Panthers

• Graham Black (F)
  • Tim Bozon (F)
  • Jaromir Jagr (F)
  • Jussi Jokinen (F)
  • Derek MacKenzie (F)
  • Jonathan Marchessault (F)
  • Colton Sceviour (F)
  • Michael Sgarbossa (F)
  • Reilly Smith (F)
  • Brody Sutter (F)
  • Paul Thompson (F)
  • Shawn Thornton (F)
  • Thomas Vanek (F)
  • Jason Demers (D)
  • Jakub Kindl (D)
  • Brent Regner (D)
  • Reece Scarlett (D)
  • MacKenzie Weegar (D)
  • Reto Berra (G)
  • Sam Brittain (G)
  • Roberto Luongo (G)

they must be protecting Vanek... :searching: ,  honestly I don't get this one at all unless there is another trade in place for tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Florida Panthers

• Graham Black (F)
  • Tim Bozon (F)
  • Jaromir Jagr (F)
  • Jussi Jokinen (F)
  • Derek MacKenzie (F)
  • Jonathan Marchessault (F)
  • Colton Sceviour (F)
  • Michael Sgarbossa (F)
  • Reilly Smith (F)
  • Brody Sutter (F)
  • Paul Thompson (F)
  • Shawn Thornton (F)
  • Thomas Vanek (F)
  • Jason Demers (D)
  • Jakub Kindl (D)
  • Brent Regner (D)
  • Reece Scarlett (D)
  • MacKenzie Weegar (D)
  • Reto Berra (G)
  • Sam Brittain (G)
  • Roberto Luongo (G)

they must be protecting Vanek... :searching: ,  honestly I don't get this one at all unless there is another trade in place for tomorrow.

They wanted rid of Smith's salary/cap hit

Just now, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I heard talk about Florida not wanting to lose Jason Demers but that is a Knight's ransom to give up for a not so great D man.

Send Pronger to Florida quick.... they need him to GM this team.

Bolts lose defensemen Nikita Gusev and Jason Garrison......yay!

No real loss for TB here!

Gusev may or may not work out at the NHL level....Garrison was on the last year of his contract, and was looking rather old and uninterested down the stretch for the Lightning last season.

Garrison COULD have an uptick in production due to being in a contract year, but then again, he is also injury prone.

Good luck in Vegas, Jason.

Thank you for your time with the Bolts, but I am counting my blessings it WASN'T Dotchin or Koekkoek. :ahappy:

Archived