Knights deals-so far

Quite a few deals supposedly already in place leading up to the Knights selections.....

COLUMBUS Has supposedly given up this years first rounder and a prospect in exchange for the Knights not selecting Josh Anderson or Joonas Korpisalo. Seems a high price to pay as far as setting the market.

ANAHEIM has a deal in place whereas the Knights will not select either Sami Vatanen or Josh Manson but the return for Vegas is under wraps so far.

CHICAGO Has worked out a deal whereas Vegas drafts contract albatross Marcus Kruger and in exchange talented defenseman Trevor Van Reimsdyk is then traded to Vegas for 'considerations'.

ISLANDERS: Finally, the Isles have a deal worked out where they are giving up a package in exchange for the Knights not drafting certain players. In this particular one, several different ones have been tossed out with no clarity given as of yet, everything from De Haan and a first in exchange for not selecting Brock Nelson and Cizikas to selecting Bailey in exchange for not selecting Ryan Strome. Lots of chaos coming off the Island and fan backlash over the thought of giving up both a first and De Haan to protect players is strong in the different boards.

Still likely more side deals to come between now and Wednesday..... 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Lots of chaos coming off the Island and fan backlash over the thought of giving up both a first and De Haan to protect players is strong in the different boards.

Yeah, I hear all twelve of them are pretty ticked off. 

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Quite a few deals supposedly already in place leading up to the Knights selections.....

COLUMBUS Has supposedly given up this years first rounder and a prospect in exchange for the Knights not selecting Josh Anderson or Joonas Korpisalo. Seems a high price to pay as far as setting the market.

ANAHEIM has a deal in place whereas the Knights will not select either Sami Vatanen or Josh Manson but the return for Vegas is under wraps so far.

CHICAGO Has worked out a deal whereas Vegas drafts contract albatross Marcus Kruger and in exchange talented defenseman Trevor Van Reimsdyk is then traded to Vegas for 'considerations'.

ISLANDERS: Finally, the Isles have a deal worked out where they are giving up a package in exchange for the Knights not drafting certain players. In this particular one, several different ones have been tossed out with no clarity given as of yet, everything from De Haan and a first in exchange for not selecting Brock Nelson and Cizikas to selecting Bailey in exchange for not selecting Ryan Strome. Lots of chaos coming off the Island and fan backlash over the thought of giving up both a first and De Haan to protect players is strong in the different boards.

Still likely more side deals to come between now and Wednesday..... 

Isles should have canned Garth before he destroys them further...i don't get what they see in that guy!

Ahhh, gotta love NHL politics....

First, RFA's...TECHNICALLY, they are 'free agents' whom teams can make offers, but no one does because "it's just not done" or it isn't "polite" to try to lure a young player away from a team (or make an offer causing that team to match)...

THEN you have expansion drafts.

"Hey, Vegas, you are a new team to the league, we want you to be competitive, but here, we are all gonna make deals with you to NOT take our better players we were forced to expose, give you a bunch of picks and you can be competitive in 10 years, ok?"

I know, I know, the way the league is set up is the way owners and GM's have to 'play it'....and game the system in the process if they have to....but it still doesn't make it any less amusing to watch. :ahappy:

As for "chaos" in Islander-land....this is surprising....how?? lol.

Yea...as long as Garth Snow is still running the show from the GM's seat, that will likely continue.

John Tavares can almost see daylight.....just one more year of good behavior, and he will be released from prison with time served.....unless a trade happens and he gets an early parole.... ;)

And BTW, @notfondajane , Mr. Wang (yea, I said it) is now a minority owner. 

Jon Ledecky is the primary owner, along with some other guy named Scott Malkin...no relation to your Evgeny Malkin.

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

"Hey, Vegas, you are a new team to the league, we want you to be competitive, but here, we are all gonna make deals with you to NOT take our better players we were forced to expose, give you a bunch of picks and you can be competitive in 10 years, ok?"

Vegas doesn't have to make those deals, though. They could tell each GM that approaches them with this kind of offer to pound salt and take the better players. I can't fault the NHL here. They are at least giving Vegas the chance to be competitive if Vegas chooses.  If Vegas wants to go about this as a pseudo-rebuild by stockpiling picks - so be it.  I see it as basically a choice between being "average" for ten years or "sucking" for 5 and then (maybe) being truly competitive after that.

20 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ahhh, gotta love NHL politics....

First, RFA's...TECHNICALLY, they are 'free agents' whom teams can make offers, but no one does because "it's just not done" or it isn't "polite" to try to lure a young player away from a team (or make an offer causing that team to match)...

I know, I know, the way the league is set up is the way owners and GM's have to 'play it'....and game the system in the process if they have to....but it still doesn't make it any less amusing to watch. :ahappy:

As for "chaos" in Islander-land....this is surprising....how?? lol.

Yea...as long as Garth Snow is still running the show from the GM's seat, that will likely continue.

John Tavares can almost see daylight.....just one more year of good behavior, and he will be released from prison with time served.....unless a trade happens and he gets an early parole.... ;)

And BTW, @notfondajane , Mr. Wang (yea, I said it) is now a minority owner. 

Jon Ledecky is the primary owner, along with some other guy named Scott Malkin...no relation to your Evgeny Malkin.

Thanks TFG! The train of thought in this manner is that Snow maybe handcuffed by Wang in certain situations! 

If I heard correctly Wang was accused of a number of wrong doings with a computer company that he owns/ owned!

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I hear all twelve of them are pretty ticked off. 

LMAO!  Instant classic....Hah, I needed that laugh. Unfortunately,  one of the 12 is my boss. When they make a dumb move, it's fun to rip him...lol, why could we not have been working together when Milbury was the GM....LOL!

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

LMAO!  Instant classic....Hah, I needed that laugh. Unfortunately,  one of the 12 is my boss. When they make a dumb move, it's fun to rip him...lol, why could we not have been working together when Milbury was the GM....LOL!

Yeah, but Milbury still says dumb things on TV all the time. So you will always have, "Man, that jackass was your GM?"

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Yeah, but Milbury still says dumb things on TV all the time. So you will always have, "Man, that jackass was your GM?"

At least once a year I make him re-live the Sumo Wrestler/goalie thing...LOVE to do that!

7 hours ago, B21 said:

Vegas doesn't have to make those deals, though. They could tell each GM that approaches them with this kind of offer to pound salt and take the better players. I can't fault the NHL here. They are at least giving Vegas the chance to be competitive if Vegas chooses.  If Vegas wants to go about this as a pseudo-rebuild by stockpiling picks - so be it.  I see it as basically a choice between being "average" for ten years or "sucking" for 5 and then (maybe) being truly competitive after that.

Yes, some wise words in there. If Vegas *really* wanted to make the playoffs, they have the tools and players at their disposal. I suppose the tightrope they have to walk is respectable today, much better tomorrow. The smart play is to have a decent mix of vets and young stars. The danger with getting very decent quickly is it denies the franchise the opportunity to draft in the top 3 for multiple years in a row type of things aka Oilers. I guess it would come down their advanced scouting and if they thought multiple generational players will be coming up for bids soon.

17 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Yes, some wise words in there. If Vegas *really* wanted to make the playoffs, they have the tools and players at their disposal. I suppose the tightrope they have to walk is respectable today, much better tomorrow. The smart play is to have a decent mix of vets and young stars. The danger with getting very decent quickly is it denies the franchise the opportunity to draft in the top 3 for multiple years in a row type of things aka Oilers. I guess it would come down their advanced scouting and if they thought multiple generational players will be coming up for bids soon.

Agree.  It's too bad for them that their first draft is generally regarded as a "weak" draft but they need to fill out a "system" as well. They need bodies basically. I saw that the Chicago Wolves are their AHL affiliate. I wonder if they are sharing the Wolves with the Blues? I saw the Blues did not renew their agreement. In any event, I'll be curious to see if the VGN are looking to stockpile picks this year or next year.  If they do go for veterans I can see them trying to stay away from anyone on a longer term deal. 

@TropicalFruitGirl26 it looks as if your wish is going to come true, supposedly the Bolts have just made a side deal whereas the Knights will not draft either of Koekkoek or Dotchin, no info yet on who the Knights are receiving as their end of the deal.

3 hours ago, B21 said:

Agree.  It's too bad for them that their first draft is generally regarded as a "weak" draft but they need to fill out a "system" as well. They need bodies basically. I saw that the Chicago Wolves are their AHL affiliate. I wonder if they are sharing the Wolves with the Blues? I saw the Blues did not renew their agreement. In any event, I'll be curious to see if the VGN are looking to stockpile picks this year or next year.  If they do go for veterans I can see them trying to stay away from anyone on a longer term deal. 

I read recently that last years Windsor Spitfires coach Rocky Thompson was hired by Vegas to coach Chicago Wolves, so that says to me it's an indpendant Vegas venture, but I could be wrong.

@B21  the Blues will not have their own farm team in 2017-18 as bizzare as that may sound. The Wolves are the farm team of the Knights for next year and the Blues will 'loan' prospects to the team to allow them to play. The AHL/NHL agreement has always been that you are only allowed so many over aged players, so many players who have appeared in X amount of games, ect... but Chicago has always more or less operated as an independent with a handful of Blues players filling out the roster as a way of circumventing the rules. Now St. Louis is going to go an entire season with a few players loaned to the Knights AHL team and the rest of their prospects playing in the ECHL.

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@B21  the Blues will not have their own farm team in 2017-18 as bizzare as that may sound. The Wolves are the farm team of the Knights for next year and the Blues will 'loan' prospects to the team to allow them to play. The AHL/NHL agreement has always been that you are only allowed so many over aged players, so many players who have appeared in X amount of games, ect... but Chicago has always more or less operated as an independent with a handful of Blues players filling out the roster as a way of circumventing the rules. Now St. Louis is going to go an entire season with a few players loaned to the Knights AHL team and the rest of their prospects playing in the ECHL.

*THAT* is totally bizarre. So, the Blues will have no say on where the kids loaned to Chicago will play, or how much?  Plus, the ECHL is not nearly the same type of talent as the AHL, so it is possible some of the kids will regress playing against lesser talent, especially the d-men and goalies. This seems like a real backwards move by the Blues. Not something a team that really wants to win would be involved in. Strange. 

@yave1964

Agree with @jammer2 ...That is TOTALLY BZZARRE ...:dizzysmiley-1:  Without rehashing what Jammer said, how the hell are hey going to make this work.  The talent in the ECHL is no where near or at the level of the AHL.  You need your prospects to develop. Not regress or god forbid think they are better than what they are.  Whose brain child idea was this.  If I'm the Blues, I would be irate over the situation ....

@yave1964

I have not read nor have I researched anything yet ....Does the  AHL plan to expand and add one addition team to account for the NHL expansion?

@jammer2

@yave1964

From the Allentown Morning Call dated 1/3017:

"As of Monday, Andrews said there are no expansion applicants but the league is in discussion with a few different markets. He expected more news to come on that within the next four to six weeks. "

"He put the odds at a little better than 50-50 that the league will have a 31st team next season. If not, it's likely there will be a new team the following year. What Andrews does know is that the league needs to make new divisional and conference alignments again next year, although with moving parts that can't be finalized yet.  It will all be settled by July, when the AHL plans to release the 2017-18 regular-season schedule, a month earlier than usual."

@pilldoc

Yeah it is bizarre that the Blues are willing to forego having an AHL team this year. 

They will expand in the AHL for 2018-19 and the Blues will have a team then. I think it is cheap and reckless to go an entire season of just having their players scattered on  other teams rosters. 

I have read rumors that the NYI, Jackets, Ducks and Wild will all send 1st rounders to the Knights to not select certain players. My question is, with maybe 4 or 5 extra first rounders, and probably just as much in the 2nd round, does this effect how the Knights draft tomorrow?  I mean, their window might open in 5 years, when all the players selected are used the rigors of the NHL. You don't wanna stink real bad, but selecting young players who may come into their own in the same 5 year window makes sense, no?

One more thought, when you have say 4 or 5 first rounders, you can then afford to pluck a young star RFA off a roster, like a young legit #1C or #1D. This may be part of the Vegas thinking....but it would PISS off a lot of GM's. Not sure they would want that.

15 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I have read rumors that the NYI, Jackets, Ducks and Wild will all send 1st rounders to the Knights to not select certain players. My question is, with maybe 4 or 5 extra first rounders, and probably just as much in the 2nd round, does this effect how the Knights draft tomorrow?  I mean, their window might open in 5 years, when all the players selected are used the rigors of the NHL. You don't wanna stink real bad, but selecting young players who may come into their own in the same 5 year window makes sense, no?

That is a real interesting and realistic thought @jammer2.  Vegas is in such a unique position not seen with other expansion teams.  The chance to be competitive right away, while still being able to acquire necessary draft picks.  That is just unheard of. 

Whatever happens tomorrow night, IMO, will directly affect how the entry level Draft goes down Friday evening.  Regardless if the pundits think this years draft is weak or not.  There will be some real talented players who may or may not being going to teams who give up draft picks to protect players.  In the long run that might hurt certain teams.

Looking both forward and looking back, I must say Hexy put himself in a great position not to be burned by the Expansion draft.  There is no one on the Flyers exposed list that is critical for the success of this club moving forward.  We may not always understand what Hexy does, but IMO, he has probably outsmarted may other GM's.  Kudo's to him.

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

One more thought, when you have say 4 or 5 first rounders, you can then afford to pluck a young star RFA off a roster, like a young legit #1C or #1D. This may be part of the Vegas thinking....but it would PISS off a lot of GM's. Not sure they would want that.

totally agree ... like I mentioned above.  Vegas is in a very unique / unusual / and unprecedented position.

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The AHL/NHL agreement has always been that you are only allowed so many over aged players, so many players who have appeared in X amount of games, ect... 

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a regular-season game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL, IHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

There is no limit to the number of players on the roster but only 5 veterans can play in a game.  

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

@jammer2

@yave1964

From the Allentown Morning Call dated 1/3017:

"As of Monday, Andrews said there are no expansion applicants but the league is in discussion with a few different markets. He expected more news to come on that within the next four to six weeks. "

"He put the odds at a little better than 50-50 that the league will have a 31st team next season. If not, it's likely there will be a new team the following year. What Andrews does know is that the league needs to make new divisional and conference alignments again next year, although with moving parts that can't be finalized yet.  It will all be settled by July, when the AHL plans to release the 2017-18 regular-season schedule, a month earlier than usual."

The rumor I heard is that the Avalanche will move their ECHL affiliate, the Colorado Eagles, to the AHL  Right now, their AHL affiliate is the San Antonio Rampage.  That would leave San Antonio without  an NHL parent club.  

Hello St. Louis!  I'd love to see this because the Aves have nothing in the pipeline and its really hard to watch the Rampage play.

Archived