New Rules for 2017-18 Season

hf101

• According to Elliot Friedman a new rule for the 2017-18 season will punish teams that unsuccessfully issue an offside challenge by assessing those clubs with a 2 min penalty for every failed review.   (I like that this rule will cut down on the number of borderline timouts for long video reviews.)

• Another new rule will not allow teams to call a timeout after icing the puck.  (It's about time!)

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1352604-report-failed-offside-challenge-will-result-in-2-minute-penalty

41 minutes ago, hf101 said:
  • According to Elliot Friedman a new rule for the 2017-18 season will punish teams that unsuccessfully issue an offside challenge by assessing those clubs with a 2 min penalty for every failed review.   (I like that this rule will cut down on the number of borderline timouts for long video reviews.)

• Another new rule will not allow teams to call a timeout after icing the puck.  (It's about time!)

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1352604-report-failed-offside-challenge-will-result-in-2-minute-penalty

I'm ok with those changes.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I'd really like to see them just change offsides to the plane of the blueline. Too many ticky-tack "skate a millimeter off the ice" offsides calls. 

I agree. I don't know how many times games have been delayed by over 5 minutes as they pore over every angle on a play that is within an inch either way. It takes away from the natural flow of the game and takes away hard earned momentum. 

11 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Goal scoring is sure to go up now...:whistle:

Nope.

Not until they take away the goalie stick and make netminders stand in there, in skivvies, with nothing else but a mask, a blocker, two skinny leg pads and maybe a swiss cheese chest protector.......  :ph34r:

I don't mind the changes. Penalising teams for challenging when they're not 100% sure is a good idea, it'll be interesting to see where it goes. It might increase scoring if teams decide to take their chances anyway and cause more powerplays. That said, there will eventually be a time when there is a bad call on the replay (for whatever reason) followed by a PP goal, creating a two goal difference to the overall score. The fallout from that would be interesting to watch.

It's still going to allow for the utter stupidity of waving goals off for an offsides that happened 10-15 seconds before a goal was scored. Which is really the only issue I had with the offsides stuff. The no time out off an icing thing is probably not going to have much of an impact either. The rule changes themselves are fine. I just don't think they're going to have any signifcant impact. Which I guess is better than them doing something completely wacky.

On 9/6/2017 at 5:49 PM, AJgoal said:

I'd really like to see them just change offsides to the plane of the blueline. Too many ticky-tack "skate a millimeter off the ice" offsides calls. 

On 9/6/2017 at 7:42 PM, jammer2 said:

I agree. I don't know how many times games have been delayed by over 5 minutes as they pore over every angle on a play that is within an inch either way. It takes away from the natural flow of the game and takes away hard earned momentum. 

On 9/6/2017 at 7:51 PM, AJgoal said:

I mean, I get that it's the rule, but are you really getting any competitive advantage with your skate off the ice as opposed to on?

The skate on the ice is definitive.  Removing the definitive factor turns the call into total judgement.  They already have a hard time reviewing whether or not a player on on side with the skate on the ice with the definitive factor and hi-def cameras.  If they change the rule they will add lots of controversy.  There's enough of that already on the close plays.  

14 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

The skate on the ice is definitive.  Removing the definitive factor turns the call into total judgement.  They already have a hard time reviewing whether or not a player on on side with the skate on the ice with the definitive factor and hi-def cameras.  If they change the rule they will add lots of controversy.  There's enough of that already on the close plays.  

I'd like to see all close calls defered to the officiating crew. After all, how many decades and decades did the sport have without replay...and none of those cups or playoff series are in question. The only real disputed cup came when replay was present, the Hull skate in the crease thing. Maybe count in the NYI offsides and puck over the head tip against Philly for their first cup. 

In baseball, the runner gets the tie on close 1st base calls, in hockey the edge should be given to the defense, but I could see that reversing in order to add more goals. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived