(poll) who will be the first coach fired this year?

yave1964

first coach fired  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the first coach let go this year?

• Jeff Blashill?
    • Alain Vigneault
    • Barry Trotz
    • Bill Peters
    • Other

Teams off to slow starts include Buffalo and Arizona who have new head coaches who in all likelihood get a free pass for now and the rumor mill for coaches is  not yet heated up although it almost certainly will.

I did not include Claude Julien in the poll although he certainly has to be feeling some warmth on his fanny, I feel the GM Bergevin would not survive a coaching change, if Julien goes almost certainly Bergevin will go at the same time. Other teams who may be looking at resumes might include Florida but their regime is so tenuous from week to week that I don't know what to expect.

My initial thought was Blashill in Detroit with a Tippett type coming in to give the team an identity but GM Holland is in his final season of his contract and the rumbling is getting louder that he may be on his way out and if so the Wings may just ride this season out with Blashill to allow the new GM to pick his own staff.

My own vote goes for Alain Vigneault who is rumored to be on death watch in New York and I would not be surprised to see it happen relatively soon.

You read my mind this morning @yave1964  I was just thinking as I woke up this morning that we need this annual topic.   I was trying to think of a way to put a twist on it too to include the GM's somehow.  Maybe the GM's just need their own separate topic.

While Vigneault is probably the front-runner here, he really doesn't have the team to work with as he has had in the past.  The Rangers mess is mostly all Sather's doing.

I'm going to go with other here and choose Todd McClellan with Edmonton.  If any team had high expectations this season it would be with the Oilers.  

Hmm.... very interesting assortment of potential heads for swinging axes to take aim at.....

Certainly Alain Vignault has to be the favorite scapegoat here, you know, having some of the star players (albeit many are fading stars) he has and coaching in the fishbowl market of New York City.

But if the Rangers can show any sign of life (and as long as King GQ Henrik doesn't decree Alain has to go), Vignault may get a bit longer leash than he probably deserves.

The situation in Detroit is deteriorating fast, but like @yave1964 mentioned, I think a GM change is a bigger deal there, and if so, both the GM and coach can continue in 'lame duck' capacity (and maybe not make the playoffs and draft high this coming summer) and start with a new coach NEXT season.

I will go off into darkhorse land and say Barry Trotz.

Going with him because of expectations.

Sure, the Caps aren't in as deep a hole as the Rangers, Red Wings (or even Oilers), but I think Washington certainly had the high expectations (and have had for several seasons now), and Trotz was brought in to bring stability to the Caps defense......but it appears that isn't really working, the Caps are a mediocre team despite having the likes of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, Kuznetsov, and Holtby, AND to make matters worse, it seems the offense from the team is now suffering too.

How much longer before the offensive minded players on the team start tuning out Trotz and his defense first ways?

I mean, if the team were winning (both in the regular season and the playoffs), perhaps players would tolerate not being as open offensively, but again, that isn't the case this year and hasn't been the case for playoffs in seasons past under Trotz.

I felt the Caps took a step or two backwards this off season, and if ownership feels the same, don't be surprised to see Trotz on the unemployment line.

Paul Maurice (not mentioned in the poll) may also be another guy hanging by a thread.

He would be my second choice.

I, personally, am STILL not impressed with the Jets overall, but  for some reason, many people feel the Jets SHOULD be a playoff team.

Under Maurice, the team continues to be mediocre offensively, sloppy defensively, and just plain ol head scratching the rest of the time.

I know the team still has needs (goalie is still one such need), but honestly, at times, the team looks completely clueless out there, scrambling around.......I just wonder if the coach's plans (if he has any solid ones for these guys) are being adhered to, or if guys are just doing their own thing out there.

8 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Teams off to slow starts include Buffalo and Arizona who have new head coaches who in all likelihood get a free pass for now and the rumor mill for coaches is  not yet heated up although it almost certainly will.

I did not include Claude Julien in the poll although he certainly has to be feeling some warmth on his fanny, I feel the GM Bergevin would not survive a coaching change, if Julien goes almost certainly Bergevin will go at the same time. Other teams who may be looking at resumes might include Florida but their regime is so tenuous from week to week that I don't know what to expect.

My initial thought was Blashill in Detroit with a Tippett type coming in to give the team an identity but GM Holland is in his final season of his contract and the rumbling is getting louder that he may be on his way out and if so the Wings may just ride this season out with Blashill to allow the new GM to pick his own staff.

My own vote goes for Alain Vigneault who is rumored to be on death watch in New York and I would not be surprised to see it happen relatively soon.

Explain what you mean by Florida's regime being tenuous from week to week. 

AV is probably the frontrunner for sure. Although I don't think his GM did him any favors trading away probably their best center in Stepan. You really can't win in this league with poor depth up the middle. Lundqvist isn't the same Lundqvist any more, and they replaced Raanta, a very good backup, with that useless sack of **** Pavelec, so they can't even turn to the backup when King Nothing struggles.

Julien always seems to be on the hot seat no matter where he is, so he could go too. Although I think if Montreal misses the playoffs they might just clean house and get rid of Bergevin as well.

Archived