Game 68: Flyers at Bruins, 3/8/18 at 7 PM

Howie58

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but Coots let Pastrnak whack the puck behind Lyon Coots has to knock the guy out of there and stop trying to tie him up with his stick which had zero effect on him.  Empty handed. 

That one is as much on Ghost as it is on Coots. Ghost has his stick in front of Lyon and makes no effort to clear Marchand either.  If Ghost has his stick properly positioned he can at least knock the puck away or lift Marchand's stick.  That puck wasn't going in until Marchand swatted it. The butt end of Lyon's stick had kept it from crossing the line. Ghost did try to take a whack at the puck eventually. Unfortunately, all he hit was Lyon's back.

Turned in just in time to see Marchand's goal.  Can someone explain what 14 and 53 were doing?

How did Lyon look?  Was it a better effort than against the Penguins?

9 minutes ago, vis said:

Turned in just in time to see Marchand's goal.  Can someone explain what 14 and 53 were doing?

How did Lyon look?  Was it a better effort than against the Penguins?

Lyon actually looked good. Good rebound control. Stayed square to the shooters. It wasn't a tire fire like Mrazek has been the last few games. He does need to work on his puck handling skills. He put the D in a bad spot a couple times last night.

6 minutes ago, vis said:

Can someone explain what 14 and 53 were doing?

Playing soft and i guess trying to just run out the clock for a point.....which just slipped away.

Coots was just being lazy with his stick across Pasta's lower legs doing absolutely nothing. Stargazing?

giphy.gif

I thought that was the best goaltending effort they have had in the last 5 games...and they wasted it. And worse they got nothing to show for their hard fought effort (except the 3rd period where they got out played).

I was puzzled how this wasn't a trip??

giphy.gif

Then the non call that mad me livid that caused the break away score....

giphy.gif

...non call lead to this...

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Playing soft and i guess trying to just run out the clock for a point.....which just slipped away.

Coots was just being lazy with his stick across Pasta's lower legs doing absolutely nothing. Stargazing?

giphy.gif

I thought that was the best goaltending effort they have had in the last 5 games...and they wasted it. And worse they got nothing to show for their hard fought effort (except the 3rd period where they got out played).

I was puzzled how this wasn't a trip??

giphy.gif

Then the non call that mad me livid that caused the break away score....

giphy.gif

...non call lead to this...

giphy.gif

Yeah, I think the one on Simmonds was worse, especially looking at it again. That guy (#57) knows what he's doing with his skate there, as much as he tried to make it look like "oops" - should have been a tripping call. 

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, I think the one on Simmonds was worse, especially looking at it again. That guy (#57) knows what he's doing with his skate there, as much as he tried to make it look like "oops" - should have been a tripping call. 

Exactly i was so pissed ref looking right at it and it creates a turnover and the difference in the game.

Without that the events after it may have been different....sure we'll never know but still youhave to call that sh it!

And thankfully it didn't get Wayne hurt....could of pulled a groin on that.

Two things i liked last night Lyon outplayed Mrazek from what i have saw (which means Hak goes back to Petr to get lit up by the Jets) and Matt Read was noticeable in a good way....dude look smart, fast and defensively sound...ithas been years since we have seen that Read. I think for the time being he has stolen Weal's spot....hope he likes making popcorn.

@OccamsRazor

Couturier has not been his best recently.  That play above is brutal.  I don't know what Ghost was doing as well, unless he was trying to protect the puck from squeaking through.  Still, priority should be on tying up Marchand. 

Those trips are pretty egregious.

36 minutes ago, vis said:

How did Lyon look?

He was much better than Petr. His rebound control was impressive. He was square to the shooter crisp in his movements in the crease didn't look like there was any wasted extra movement. And he fought through traffic to find the puck.

He had all the signs of a goalie who is smart and had been putting in the practice and working on his game. And it showed.

nd one of the biggest things too is he was so quick to go down to the ice....which i noticed mrazek does so quick leaving up top so open it is why the other teams are shooting high all the time because it's open on Petr.

One thing that Petr is better at than Lyon is playing the puck. There was one moment in the game where Lyon went out to play the puck and passed it back across his open empty net causing a panic and the Keystone Kop moment in their end trying to secure the puck.

No Alex if that is what you are going to do stay in the damn crease!!!!!!

I am hoping that Mrazek can get with Kim and work on his all around game to get back in better form.

I would start him again over Mrazek....he earned it...if it wasn't for the shi itty refs on the no called to the slew foot on Simmer and Coots play aggressive the Flyers should of come out with 2 points. Play Lyon again!

Which we know Hak will trot Mrazek out there vs. the Jets!!!!!!

giphy.gif

32 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

Lyon actually looked good. Good rebound control. Stayed square to the shooters. It wasn't a tire fire like Mrazek has been the last few games. He does need to work on his puck handling skills. He put the D in a bad spot a couple times last night.

Thanks, AB.  Appreciate the analysis.  Maybe he's earned a longer look? Worry a little about "losing" Mrazek, though.

5 minutes ago, vis said:

I don't know what Ghost was doing as well, unless he was trying to protect the puck from squeaking through.

Yeah i'm not saying Ghost is completely innocent there...but as @AlaskaFlyerFan said earlier had knocked Pastrnak on his wallet then he does knock that puck behind Lyon in the first place...

...but no Coots is just a passenger on that play and it cost them not one but two points!

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would start him again over Mrazek....he earned it...if it wasn't for the shi itty refs on the no called to the slew foot on Simmer and Coots play aggressive the Flyers should of come out with 2 points. Play Lyon again!

Thanks for your thoughts as well.  Play the hot hand, right?

9 minutes ago, vis said:

it's been a problem recently with him.

Yeah he must be spent.

He has played more than any forward in the NHL this year so far (1,486 minutes) so i guess he is exhausted.

Well it showed on the GWer. Hak needs to give him some much needed rest instead of practice.

Ice up son ice up! :CelebratingSmiley:

Lehtera has three goals this season and all are against top goalies: Rask, Vasilevskiy and Henrik Lundqvist. 

Playing against some of the league's best/hottest teams shows our weakness.  I also wonder if it reveals fatigue and energy spend down from the streak.  People missing D assignments and literally tripping over themselves makes me think that's a problem.

The goal situation is just strange. I hope Neuvy disappears.  I guess Elliott will be around next year.  Only time will tell if we see Stolarz, Lyon, or "Other.'  Other than overplaying the puck in his crease, it appears Lyon has basics.  He plays square to the shooter.  Again, I think Neuvy is too injury prone and inconsistent to have around as a backup. Elliott can soldier on for another year.  We could have goalie war for number 2...but our PM will a) possibly play his way out of a job; and b) expect too much for a re-sign. 

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

Playing against some of the league's best/hottest teams shows our weakness.  I also wonder if it reveals fatigue and energy spend down from the streak.  People missing D assignments and literally tripping over themselves makes me think that's a problem.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The goal situation is just strange. I hope Neuvy disappears.  I guess Elliott will be around next year.  Only time will tell if we see Stolarz, Lyon, or "Other.' 

I know i may catch all kind of hate responses but unless Mrazek shows a lot better play/results.

I think i would start next year with Elliott/Stolie/Lyon.  Bring on the hate/sky is falling responses!!!!!!

Now with that said i want less minutes on Elliott and whomever the backup is to get 30-35 starts next year.

Let Stolie and Lyon battle it out for the backup spot and the loser with tandem with Hart on the Phantoms.

Take Mrazek's money and use it elsewhere.

Give Hagg a modest raise. Resign Morin.

Ivan will be in the last year of his deal and should be rewarded for his #1 Dman play.

Maybe a million more per year (5.5-6mill) than Ghost on a 4-5 year deal.

And maybe just maybe if his demands are reasonable give some to Simmer!

6 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Yeah....just trying to keep head above water....

5 losses in a row.

Hak what is your response??

giphy.gif

Hak's new shirt behind the bench.

560.jpg

RH9tYGg.gif

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, fan4ever said:

I also thought Lyon looked good.  By mid-way through the first I thought we had a chance with him.  Looked confident and made some pretty strong saves.

The defense on the other hand........

Yes Lyon looked solid. Very good rebound control.

Basically, Boston scored on a terrible turnover by Patrick, a breakaway because of a slew foot that should have been a penalty, and a poor decision by MacDonald to ice the puck. Lyon could have played that goal better too. 

The previous night, it was a Provorov brain fart that led to a goal. A missed pinch by Ghost led to offensive pressure the other way.

Still a developing team. And we’ll have to do it all over again with 3-5 rookies next year lol. 

We can be competitive next year, much like this year, but I think we’re about 3 seasons away from being a solid, reliable, disciplined squad with the experience to do some real damage....

Which brings us to goaltending! In 3 years, Hart might be in his first season as a starter, and it’s not fair to expect a 22 year old to perform like a #1 in the NHL. He will need a reliable veteran behind him, I’d say.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He has played more than any forward in the NHL this year so far (1,486 minutes) so i guess he is exhausted.

nah, it is just that he will never be anything more than a 3rd line checking center.   :cheers:

Archived