Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers

pilldoc

Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Pens Sweep 4-0
    • Pens in 5
    • Pens in 6
    • Pens in 7
    • Flyers Sweep 4-0
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6
    • Flyers in 7

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, nossagog said:

I'm late to the game, golfed today, had a few beers afterwards.   I keep watching this OC, and I agree, its the most egregious dive I've seen in some time. Should have been a two minute penalty.   Can you imagine if Crosby would have done this, the internet would have crashed. 

Actually you're right now that I see it again. Coots is stopped then somehow when "tripped" he "falls" straight up. Good catch. Clearly that wasn't blood on Hagelin. He merely had a bite of Kessel's hot dog. Ref only saw mustard and relish. 

4 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

No the refs picked-up the slack for him...

Yeah, we know. In a six game series we had like what, 3 more PP's?    Yeah that's what did it. Not the fact that the Flyers gave up 18 goals in three games on there home ice. 

21 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Who is Letange???Oh, you mean Regis' man on the side?

You guys need some new material. 

Regis? Crysby? Gay (NTTIAWWT) jokes? So 2012. 

All in good fun...

8 minutes ago, B21 said:

Actually you're right now that I see it again. Coots is stopped then somehow when "tripped" he "falls" straight up. Good catch. Clearly that wasn't blood on Hagelin. He merely had a bite of Kessel's hot dog. Ref only saw mustard and relish. 

B21, please remember, when that happens against a Penguin, its called passion, there's no penalty there. Just a strong hockey play.  Obviously the refs saw THAT one correctly!

5 minutes ago, B21 said:

All in good fun...

Why? It's a timeless classic. Like "It's a Wonderful Life" or "The WIzard of Oz", when the Wizard gave Malkin the courage to not dive.

42 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes, but G calls his dish "officer" 

In all seriousness, I give credit where it's due. Giroux (basically) guaranteed a Game 6 and delivered. He shares some to a lot of the blame as an underperforming captain. But....

It's isn't Giroux's fault the Flyers' goaltending is a hot mess or that the first time I saw Simmonds was a close up in the hand shake line or that Radko Gudas is on your roster or that Provorov (while showing flashes) played like a rookie most in key spots. 

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Why? It's a timeless classic. Like "It's a Wonderful Life" or "The WIzard of Oz", when they gave Malkin the courage to not dive.

Or Voracek the nerve to shoot? 

(Tell me you aren't howling at that one!)

1 minute ago, B21 said:

In all seriousness, I give credit where it's due. Giroux (basically) guaranteed a Game 6 and delivered. He shares some to a lot of the blame as an underperforming captain. But....

It's isn't Giroux's fault the Flyers' goaltending is a hot mess or that the first time I saw Simmonds was a close up in the hand shake line or that Radko Gudas is on your roster or that Provorov (while showing flashes) played like a rookie most in key spots. 

Gudas is given too much ice time, but you need somebody with some physicality back there.

13 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Yeah, we know. In a six game series we had like what, 3 more PP's?    Yeah that's what did it. Not the fact that the Flyers gave up 18 goals in three games on there home ice. 

The Flyers goaltending, for the most part, was horrendous.   I expected the series to be over in 4 games.  

But as far as the penalties go, it isn't always of the number called to even it up it is the penalties it is the order of them.   (Funny how nhl.com doesn't even list the penalties anymore in GameCenter.)  When the Flyers get behind early they have a more difficult time posting a comeback.  This didn't happen so much in this game but it did in earlier games of the Series.

8 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The Flyers goaltending, for the most part, was horrendous.   I expected the series to be over in 4 games.  

But as far as the penalties go, it isn't always of the number called to even it up it is the penalties it is the order of them.   (Funny how nhl.com doesn't even list the penalties anymore in GameCenter.)  When the Flyers get behind early they have a more difficult time posting a comeback.  This didn't happen so much in this game but it did in earlier games of the Series.

They each had seven 3rd period power plays in the series. If you have to dive any deeper than that (pun intended) to find bias then chances are there isn't any.

14 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Yeah and it's not like the Flyers were actually going to score on the PP just practice their passing some more.

:bonkingheadonwall:

5 minutes ago, B21 said:

They each had seven 3rd period power plays in the series. If you have to dive any deeper than that (pun intended) to find bias then chances are there isn't any.

I really wasn't speaking of the third period calls when the Penguins already established a significant lead.  My point really wasn't made at today's game as much as some of the earlier games in the series and in the season for these teams. 

2 hours ago, B21 said:

Sorry - missed that one. Was dodging a full beer from the upper level.

2 hours ago, B21 said:

All in good fun...

You need new material you used the full beer thing earlier or are you still drunk and disallusioned...?

First off nice to see a good rivalry meet in the playoffs! I believe that if the Flyers get a decent netminder they may go a little deeper into the post season. 

This series was a good one. I'm so glad that Marc Andre Fleury is in Vegas! Good series Flyers, better luck next year! 

11 hours ago, hf101 said:

:PostAward2:

Exactly, it is not necessarily the number of PPs handed out but the timing of them.  Seemingly random calls at critical times in games when they had been letting stuff go is what steams me along with non calls when there was clearly an infraction that either takes away a scoring chance or creates a scoring chance (for the offending team).

If they would just call the obvious penalties and leave the ticky tack stuff alone and do it consistently for both sides I could live with it.

Finally while I don't believe that there is intentional bias in the calls I do believe teams with the superstars tend to get the benefit of the doubt more often for calls and non-calls due to human nature.  As the PP was a big factor in the series it is seemingly magnified for Flyers fans (it had a very 2008/2009 feel to it for Flyers fans).

The refs at times were an unnecessary contributing factor which made matters worse ( which is more frustrating when you are on the losing end).  Ultimately the series was lost when the Pens superstars showed up while the Flyers best players and scorers where nowhere to be found .

18 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Damn Flyers. I had them as one of my "upset" picks in this year's NHL bracket. :angry: 

8-5 finish?  How on earth does one allow 8 goals in a hockey game?  :ouch:

Easy, they  assisted on most of the Pens goals.  5 of the goals were off brutal game/series losing turnovers.  It was awful :BrownBag: :thumbsd:

20 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Damn Flyers. I had them as one of my "upset" picks in this year's NHL bracket. :angry: 

8-5 finish?  How on earth does one allow 8 goals in a hockey game?  :ouch:

By giving the puck away in the middle of the ice, in their own zone the way that Ghost and Provy did on more than one occassion...and don't get me started on the hesitation of Ghost shooting the da*n puck on the power play. He has to learn to just let it rip sometimes and not worry so much about it getting blocked.

Archived