Hakstol experiment over

trevluk

3 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Agree with this - the lack of depth is being exposed

Oh the have depth....it's the lack of speed and skill with the depth. It is damn near devoid of it....and two of your best skilled players Giroux and Ghost are both -7 in 4 games with a whooping two points between them.

At least Jake in ONLY -1!!!!

It is why i have lobbied for one of the two making 16+mill to go while they have value....and my choice is Jake....he can bring back some good pieces....until you wait for him to have a crap season like Simmer then you are going to get hosed.

Take Jake's 8.25 mill to pair with the cap they have along with the cap going up difference and retool this group in the next offseason.

The main reason as we said by the time most of this club is ready to hit their playoff prime Jake will be 32.

Let Giorux be the vet they hold onto. I would move Simmer too.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Come out and set the goddamn tone!!!!!

You're the Captain stop telling the guys what you want from them go out and SHOW US ALL!!!!!!!!!!

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! PLAY WITH SOME HEART AND ENERGY AND THE TEAM WILL FOLLOW!!!!!!!!

We have only seen that once with "the hit" from playoff lore of yesteryear. 

1 hour ago, radoran said:

My line of reasoning is that the two of them need to actually produce in the playoffs or all the regular season success in the world doesn't matter. See: Capitals, Washington.

Are there other problems? Of course there are. And the topic of the thread is one of them. And the goaltending. And the young defense. And the lack of playoff experience. And the lack of support from the bottom 6.

So, aside from that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Are there positives? Yes. Provorov. Patrick. Konecny. Couturier. And I still like Ghost, even with his -7.

But what's most worrisome is that - as has been noted by many others in this thread - the team just rolled over and played dead. In the playoffs. At home. Against a heated rival.

Dead.

I may just get a little nihilistic about the squad when they do that. And they only have problems in coaching, goaltending, defense, experience and depth.

Is some of that on the coach? Yes, it is. Is some of that on the players as a whole? Yes, it is.

Is some of that on the Captain? In my mind, it is. YMMV

Because, let's face it, we don't give that benefit of the doubt to Alexander Ovechkin when his teams flame out in the playoffs and he's at least got 29 points in his 39 playoff games over three years and criticized for lack of production and results.

I think criticizing three points in ten playoff games over three years is fair game.

#Nailed_It

I'll throw this in too ... it does not help that you have an inpatient fan base starving for this team to get back to the glory years and an expansion team that is making us all jealous with their initial success.  Agree the throwing up the white flag is very disconcerting. :whiteflag: :unsure[1]:

anyway that is just my 3 cents. (increased due to inflation)

7 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Sorry, if Filp is at 1C tonight and Sanheim is in the rafters while Manning and Gudas are paired together he deserves to be fired. 

Well time to sharpen the pitchforks check Bill's lineup:

FLYERS 

Scenario 1: Sean Couturier is unavailable.

28 Claude Giroux - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 93 Jakub Voracek
54 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 11 Travis Konecny
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 40 Jordan Weal
24 Matt Read - 15 Jori Lehterä - 17 Wayne Simmonds

9 Ivan Provorov - 47 Andrew MacDonald
8 Robert Hägg - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

37 Brian Elliott
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Wow. I sure hope Coots can go or tonight should be Hak's last game he coaches for the Flyers with that lineup.

And to scratch Sanheim and to keep running Manning and Gudas out there makes it look like he wants to get fired!!!!!!

I would have scratched both those clowns and went with a Oduya and Hagg 3rd pair...couldn't play worse.

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

We have only seen that once with "the hit" from playoff lore of yesteryear. 

#Nailed_It

I'll throw this in too ... it does not help that you have an inpatient fan base starving for this team to get back to the glory years and an expansion team that is making us all jealous with their initial success.  Agree the throwing up the white flag is very disconcerting. :whiteflag: :unsure[1]:

anyway that is just my 3 cents. (increased due to inflation)

They just need their best players to step up and be their best players....they are getting the checks....the fans want to see a return on their investment....i don't think that is asking to much...it is a winner take all tonight...if not tonight then when???

7 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

G "guaranteed" a win ? 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Really where did you see that??

No, he did not "guarantee" a win.  Paraphrasing here, he said that "PPG arena is a difficult building to play in but they know what they have to do.  They aren't ready for their season to be over.  See you for game 6"....along those lines.

3 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

NHL Network said it  but they said he said it in "not so many words" but by him saying we will be back in Philly for game 6 , they're not ready for they're season to be over yet... So they are liking it to messier

They also said he stopped short of guaranteeing a win.

Here is his quote...

"We're not ready for our season to be over.  We go to Pittsburgh, tough building to play in.  We know we can win there.  We know if we play our game we can win.  So we're going to go out there, play our game and be back for game 6."

Some may consider that a guarantee, I don't know if I do.  I would like to hear what the question that was asked to know if it was a -confidence in the team- answer or a guarantee.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/claude-giroux-says-flyers-will-be-back-for-game-6-20180419.html

Claude Giroux says Flyers will be back for Game 6

Though they have been outplayed, outhustled, and outscored by an embarrassing 17-1 in their three playoff losses, the Flyers tried to put a happy spin on their predicament as they prepared for Game 5 on Friday in Pittsburgh.

Trailing three games to one in an Eastern Conference quarterfinal that has lacked intensity and drama and has felt like anything but a playoff series, the Flyers need to win to stave off elimination.

The Flyers have been badly beaten to loose pucks, lost a majority of board battles, and been outscored 5-0 in special teams in their three losses. In addition, the Flyers’ star players have been mostly invisible, and Penguins goalie Matt Murray (1.27 GAA, .948 save percentage in the series) has outplayed gallant Brian Elliott (4.74 GAA, .856), who has tried to return from core-muscle surgery.

So you can understand why the words coming from captain Claude Giroux (one assist, minus-7 in the series) seemed sincere but, at the same time, hollow.

“We’re not ready for our season to be over,” Giroux said after practice Thursday in Voorhees. He said Pittsburgh was a “tough building to play in, but we know we can win there. We know if we play our game, we can win. So we’re going to go out there, play our game, and be back for Game 6.”

The Penguins finished just two points ahead of the Flyers in the regular season, but they have been miles better than coach Dave Hakstol’s unassertive team in the series. Pittsburgh has been more focused, more relentless, more opportunistic.

Giroux said the Flyers have been pressing.

“I think our compete level is pretty good,” he said. “I know it’s tough to see. I think the guys are working a little too hard; we’re not playing smart enough, gripping our sticks a little too much, I think we need to take a breather and play some hockey.”

After Thursday’s practice, Giroux gathered the team together on the ice and spoke to the players about the situation.

Giroux’s message: “I think it’s believing in ourselves. All year we’ve done that. I know we’ve talked about it before, but you lose 10 in a row and you find a way to win and get in the playoffs. Not a lot of teams can do that. Just the fight in this team” was outstanding in the regular season.

The Flyers can be proud of the last four months of the regular season, when they overcame the odds and earned a playoff spot.

But they have not showed that same swagger in the postseason and have seemed overwhelmed by the spotlight. Getting outscored 17-1 equals their largest margin in the first three losses in any playoff series in franchise history. (It matches their 1979 series against the Rangers.)

Friday is “going to be a big game for us,” Giroux said. “If we go down,  we’re going to go down swinging.”

“We can play better. The good news is there’s a lot more ability there that can shine through,” general manager Ron Hextall said about the Flyers’ dismal showing so far. “… It’s an elimination game for us, and we need to match their hunger and be ready to go right from the start.”

In the series, the Flyers have been outscored, 6-1, in the first period.

Giroux carried the Flyers to a playoff berth by scoring 19 goals in the last 29 games of the regular season and finishing with a career-high 102 points. But the MVP candidate has struggled mightily in the playoffs and conceded he was frustrated.

“Anytime the team is doing bad, everyone puts a little pressure on themselves,” he said. “In the past, I’ve put a lot of pressure on myself. I try not to, but you get frustrated, you try a little harder; you get down further, you try a little harder and nothing is working for you. You got to  keep going. At the end of the day you got to keep going and good things are going to happen.”

Hextall said it was the Flyers’ execution, not their compete level, that has caused them to fall into a 3-1 hole.

Giroux agreed.

“I think guys are working their asses off,” he said. “The execution just is not there. We know that. You know, we need to relax and play some hockey here.’’

After  practice Thursday, Hakstol was asked about the team’s mind-set.

“There’s a little bit of tension there,” he said. “We didn’t do a whole lot of talking. The guys talked a little bit on their own. Today was a day to just go out and work for 30 or 35 minutes, clear the mind a little bit, get the bodies going.”

Unless they get a much better effort Friday, those bodies could be going to the golf course.

As a friendly reminder, please debate the topic at hand.  Personal attacks will not be tolerate and are against forum rules. 

https://www.hockeyforums.net/guidelines/

1) Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted.

Thank you

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have to agree....i mean no one that i know of is saying to him hey Giroux don't go out and duplicate "the shift" again....so why don't we see that type of game from him???

It is the playoffs by God....WTF is he waiting for???

Come out and set the goddamn tone!!!!!

You're the Captain stop telling the guys what you want from them go out and SHOW US ALL!!!!!!!!!!

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! PLAY WITH SOME HEART AND ENERGY AND THE TEAM WILL FOLLOW!!!!!!!!

I think last night is a great example of how having the $16.5,M players show up can affect the team.

But, yeah, I'm not in the "tell me" camp - I'm all about "show me" at this point.

Archived