Seattle Changes Everything for the Flyers

King Knut

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

No thanks.  But honestly, I do wonder why some guys don't just switch to wing.  Ghost is an example, though he is improving on defense.

Ryan Merkley, in this year's draft (Guelph) is a perfect example.  He hates defense and has no idea back there but is really good on offense.  So why not switch to wing?

I agree with not moving him up permanently. But if he can be protected as a forward instead of a defenseman...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I agree with not moving him up permanently. But if he can be protected as a forward instead of a defenseman...

If I remember correctly isn't that what the Sharks did with Burns?

8 hours ago, King Knut said:

I don't doubt that, but that's Bettman.  It's the owners I'm confused by.  How much of that 200 million or whatever it was goes directly to each team?  Is it evenly distributed or do teams like the Flyers that have been carrying extra weight for a decade plus get a bigger cut?  

It's 500 million split evenly among all owners 

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

If I remember correctly isn't that what the Sharks did with Burns?

Burns was protected as a D.

Another option is if you know your gonna loose a player, sign him to one year of expiring with the expansion league team, so that they become free agents, the end of the year and can sign back with the Flyers. Let them know they have to go to the jungles of Jumanji for a year but only because they would completely loose them otherwise, and as soon as they finish that year, the Flyers will sign them back onto their team.

It's a mid shot success of working but if the player really wants to return, that's an option they can work with. We would have a Johnny come home feel good story.

They promised Gagne when he left the Flyers, he would be back and I was hoping he would and that's one move I am still pissed at the GM for not keeping his word.(But at the end happy for Gagne he got his ring)

But Hexy might verbal handshake that offer to his players he might have to loose in expansion and tell them he will go get them back.

I think Hexy will, "Be a Mann!"..."Do the right thing!"(Russell Peters)

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Another option is if you know your gonna loose a player, sign him to one year of expiring with the expansion league team, so that they become free agents, the end of the year and can sign back with the Flyers. Let them know they have to go to the jungles of Jumanji for a year but only because they would completely loose them otherwise, and as soon as they finish that year, the Flyers will sign them back onto their team.

It's a mid shot success of working but if the player really wants to return, that's an option they can work with. We would have a Johnny come home feel good story.

They promised Gagne when he left the Flyers, he would be back and I was hoping he would and that's one move I am still pissed at the GM for not keeping his word.(But at the end happy for Gagne he got his ring)

But Hexy might verbal handshake that offer to his players he might have to loose in expansion and tell them he will go get them back.

I think Hexy will, "Be a Mann!"..."Do the right thing!"(Russell Peters)

I guess possible, but extremely unlikely. 

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I guess possible, but extremely unlikely. 

Morin gets a new contract now, Sanheim next year, Myers in 2020.

You could potentially bridge Morin so his RFA status is up in 2020 making him RFA and potentially less appealing to Seattle (similar to Weal last year).  You give them an RFA Myers or Sanheim and they're going to draft him and pay him.  

You then protect 8 skaters ( 4 forwards: Giroux, Patrick, Coots, Konecney and 4 D men:  Provo, Ghost, Myers, Sanheim) but even if Seattle doesn't bite on Morin, you're still exposing Lindblom, Whatever 3C they sign this summer Voracek and (probably) Simmonds.

Again, losing Vecchione or Vrobyov or Martel or NAK is all totally acceptable to me.  I believe that is the kind pf player a team is supposed to lose in an expansion draft.  

This is not something I'm likely to have an opinion on until I know what Hextall has planned for this summer and who he brings in.

It's a no win situation.  I know a lot of people want Jake gone, and in two years I may feel the same way, but right now, the thought of kissing an 80+ point 60+assist player goodbye for no return is disturbing to me. 

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

This is not something I'm likely to have an opinion on until I know what Hextall has planned for this summer and who he brings in.

It's a no win situation.  I know a lot of people want Jake gone, and in two years I may feel the same way, but right now, the thought of kissing an 80+ point 60+assist player goodbye for no return is disturbing to me. 

The second part:  Yeah, it's not a great thing for me either.  I've mentioned--and on occasion advocated for--that.  But I wouldn't be really happy with it.

The first part:  I agree that until we know what goes on this summer and until we know whether the draft rules will remain the same, it's an exercise of speculation and whatifism.   I'm willing to engage in it because my team has been golfing seemingly for months and aside from entry draft talk, there's little to talk about in Flyerland.  So, might as well be this.   So, I'm willing to share my opinion, but with the knowledge that in this case, it's even more worthless than usual.

17 hours ago, King Knut said:

I can't see this happening unless Jake takes a huge step back in the next bit. There's no reason he couldn't be traded at his current level. Hex would get something done for a very nice return to avoid losing him for nothing. It shouldn't be very difficult.

I'm not a Jake fan by any measure, but that's mostly because I can't make sense of him. Regardless of what I think, he finds a way to produce. Many teams will bend over for a 70-80 pt guy. The fact is, getting that many points in this league is very good.

I wouldn't get too concerned about any of this.  I remember last year people worrying that we'd lose a goalie because we could only protect one.  I felt pretty sure there would be better goalies than Neuwirth, Stolarz and Lyon available.  We ended-up losing an average 4th liner.   Probably a young defenseman would go, but by the time that draft rolls around hopefully our brilliant management team will have figured out who is the odd man out.  I don't see any franchise cornerstones among the likes of Morin, Sanheim and Myers. 

13 hours ago, Poconono said:

I wouldn't get too concerned about any of this.  I remember last year people worrying that we'd lose a goalie because we could only protect one.  I felt pretty sure there would be better goalies than Neuwirth, Stolarz and Lyon available.  We ended-up losing an average 4th liner.   Probably a young defenseman would go, but by the time that draft rolls around hopefully our brilliant management team will have figured out who is the odd man out.  I don't see any franchise cornerstones among the likes of Morin, Sanheim and Myers. 

So real quick.

Who do you like is there anyone?

Anyone who has ever played for the Flyers?

On 6/4/2018 at 5:59 PM, Poconono said:

Last year we didn't have nearly as many good players to choose from.  We were all HOPING they'd take Neuvirth, but I think we all assumed they'd take Raffl and that was a bummer.  I was shocked when they took PEB.

Everyone good could be protected or wasn't eligible last year.  Two years from now that will decidedly NOT be the case.  

Sanheim, Myers and Morin all have the ability to be better than any #3 D man the Flyers have had in a long damn time.  And we're talking about them being the #4 or #5.   They'll likely be better than any #2 we've had since Pronger's acquisition make Timmo a defacto number 2.

Even Hagg (who I've never been that high on) is likely going to be better than most 3 or 4's the Flyers have had and he's almost certainly the de facto #6 of the future.

And "The future" at this point is in two years when Radko and Mac are finally gone ... which happens to be exactly when Seattle will take one of these guys we're talking about as they're entering their prime.

It's a no win situation.  What, am I going to start hoping only one of them works out (despite the early evidence)?  

The only real hope is that Hextall can negotiate some kind of a deal with Seattle and give them something they want more in exchange for not taking our guys.

Sandstrom?  Simmonds?  Tavares?  

Yes.  That was a joke. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well this should make you happy. Vegas will be exempt from the next expansion draft....

DfLXqzEVQAIzPCy.jpg:large

Am I the only one who thinks this set-up is horribly unfair?

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well this should make you happy. Vegas will be exempt from the next expansion draft....

DfLXqzEVQAIzPCy.jpg:large

Yeah, I’m aware of that and I’m actually okay with it. I don’t love it, but I understand. 

The finals appearance aside, Vegas is still building a team and They have only 5 guys now that will still be under contract by the time of the Seattle draft.  

Obviously they’ll have filled the spots they lose this year and next year, but the point is they don’t have years of 7 rounds of draft picks making up their system. They don’t have years of cultivating Morins and Sanheims and Myerses in their system to lose because they simply don’t have those kinds of players yet.  At least if the Flyers lose Morin, they still have Myers and Sanheim that they’ve been working with and investing in. If Vegas has one and th y lose him, they’re even more SOL. 

Vegas just doesn’t have the same number of UFA guys either. Even by 2020 this number won’t change much.  In all Likelihood the only young players on UFA contracts they’ll have who are eligible are the ones they drafted last spring. 

This season  as a fun thing for them, but did anyone else notice how in game 5 the stadium was mostly red jerseys?  That’s the whole fame plan of the franchise.  Sell outs on visiting tourists.  Even if they have a loyal local fan base, it’s going to wear thin seeing that and having an away game every night of the season. 

The t am will make money,  but will players want to play there?  Remains to be seen. 

I think the vegas experiment worked to well and if that didn’t give Berryman such a  Chubb the rules would change and teams would be able to protect at least one more player.  That’s all-nighter m really asking for.  Just a little more control over which players are exposed.  

Archived