Snow Finally Gone, and Weight is gone too.

hf101

It's official.  Garth Snow has finally been removed of his GM duties with Lou Lamoriello now in charge.  Doug Weight has also been removed of his duties as well as head coach.

@hf101

Man you are quick on the draw, lol. I just saw this happened a few minutes ago and you beat me to it.

Lou now in charge, I think that Snow had to go but Lamorello is not the right answer, he has a decade of drafting poorly with the Devils and while he had his day in the sun it was long ago. Th one thing I was listening to Friedman say is it may mean that the Isles plan on going all in on Kovalchuk as he and Lou have a past relationship. This might entice Tavares to stay. Of course the last time Lamorello went out and spent big money on Kovalchuk it nearly bankrupted a franchise, lol....

I've been kinda following this since I posted a couple of weeks ago that Lou was taking over.  Just happened to look at twitter.

I'm just going to echo @yave1964

Definitely about time that Snow goes. I think we can easily classify his tenure as an epic failure.  I get I understand Weight only in the context of new gets his coach.

But Lou is not a good decision. It's a bridge at best and not a good way to go.  But why would the Islanders start making good decisions now? 

31 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm just going to echo @yave1964

Definitely about time that Snow goes. I think we can easily classify his tenure as an epic failure.  I get I understand Weight only in the context of new gets his coach.

But Lou is not a good decision. It's a bridge at best and not a good way to go.  But why would the Islanders start making good decisions now? 

I wonder if there is truth to the rumor that Lou has offered the head coaching job to John Tavares father and the head scout position to Tavares mother. 

30 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I wonder if there is truth to the rumor that Lou has offered the head coaching job to John Tavares father and the head scout position to Tavares mother. 

I heard Tavares' boyfriend would be head scout. NTTAWWT

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Crazy thing is, I don't believe the Islander organization would be above that level of nepotism..... :bigteeth:

Well, Islander fans....it's no snow job, a huge weight has been lifted from the franchise...… 😏

As for Lamoriello, I would think he is going to hire a coach who, more or less, would be a bit more autonomous, while Lou himself grooms a long term replacement for himself at the GM position.

At least THAT sounds like the logical thing to do.....right, Mr. Lamoriello?

I mean, no disrespect to him (he has been around hockey a long time and knows stuff about stuff that I never will), but IMO, he is far too old and embedded in the 'old school' ways of doing things to really benefit the Islanders long term.

But yea, Garth Snow out?

Wow...someone must have found and confiscated his stash of dirty pictures he had on ownership.

With no leverage, Snow was a goner!  😀

16 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, Islander fans....it's no snow job, a huge weight has been lifted from the franchise...… 

Groan!  And lol

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, Islander fans....it's no snow job, a huge weight has been lifted from the franchise...… 😏

The big question is, will you “be here all night”?

All goofiness aside, Lou Lamoriello, whom some of you have already said has drafted poorly in the past, will have a pretty good crack at it this coming NHL draft as the Islanders have a pretty good board in the 1st and 2nd rounds with two picks in each.

Of course, if Lamoriello drafts as poorly as some feel he did before, then those 4 picks in the first two rounds could go to waste just as easily....

Also on the docket:

---Yep....trying to keep John Tavares.....too late to work up some trade deal with another team if the Isles feel like they don't want to spend the money. THAT had to be done during the season at least. Teams would have no incentive to give the Islanders anything above marginal players/prospects for Tavares at this stage. Put up or shut up time for NY now with a new contract.

---Anders Lee. Sure, the guy has a year left, but he seems to have found his stride. Maybe try to work out some middling type extension with the guy NOW and have him beyond that final year at a reasonable rate and not let him reach UFA status as well.

---Try to rebuild that defense. Not even sure where I'd start here...at least, not without knowing what defensemen NY has in the minors that could be brought up. The current crop of D range from "ok" to "forgettable" to "awful".

--For the love of puck, try to get a stable, legit starting goalie!!  Halak is a UFA, you let him just go.... Greiss is there still, he did well in spurts last season, but he is more a back up guy than a starter.

Not much to choose from in the UFA market...Lehtonen (probably not), Ward (may be too old and injury prone at 34 to be a viable game changer for NY),  Lagace (he was the weak link of the Vegas goalies...not sure he would do any better on a team that is LESSER than Vegas is).

Hammond, Pavelac, Eddie Lack...meh, meh, and more meh.

Now...there IS Jonathan Bernier. Did pretty well with a defensively challenged Colorado squad. The Isles may still be able to score enough to allow him to do well despite a lackluster defense with them.

RFA's?

Maybe a Louie Domingue or Calvin Pickard if the Lightning and Leafs don't make an offer to those guys. Bolts may hang onto Domingue though.... Peter Budaj may be the odd man out with them.

Robin Lehner, Petr Mrazek? RFA's likely to NOT be retained...but then again, there is a REASON both Buffalo and Philadelphia would choose not to retain them.

Connor Hellebuyck is on the RFA list, but you KNOW the Jets are gonna tender him an offer.

Philip Grubauer is also on there, but I think the Caps hang on to him to continue to back up Holtby.

Maybe RFA Oscar Dansk of the Vegas Knights.

Vegas will still have MAF and probably Malcolm Subban to back him up.....leaving Dansk the odd man out, and he put up decent numbers when asked to play for Vegas.

---Finally, Lamoriello has the bottom six for the Isles to try and figure out. Lots of expired contracts, RFA status guys.....he will need to filter through that mess, see who is worth retaining/re-signing and where to cut his losses.

At 75 years old, he certainly didn't pick an easy time to jump back into the GM's chair.

Fans best hope he surrounded himself with other sets of eyes and ears that can help steer him in the right direction.

LOTS of work that needs to be done with this team...and mistakes could prove costly long term once again for NY.

Archived