UFA goaltenders

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

This has been mentioned a couple times, but I'm not sure how feasible it is. Neuvirth would have to consent to be sent to the ECHL. 

The bothersome thing about Neuvirth is that he's generally the best option out of the goalies when healthy. He's just never healthy. 

He doesn't have to consent to being bought out which is a long shot, but could happen tomorrow night I guess.  

I can't find the answer about 3 goalies on an AHL roster.  Does anyone have this?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe there's a roster limit at all in the AHL. They just have a limit to the number of veterans they can dress on any given night.

If rumors on goalies who are more or less locked up are true:

Ward to the Hawks, Bernier to the Wings, Hutton to the Sabres. If so that leaves:

Khubodin who was pretty solid in Boston after bombing in Carolina, Boston previously and Anaheim, I gotta admit I am suspicious, I think last year was a fluke.

Lehtonen probably ok as a 25 start guy, 2nd game of back to backs. Nothing more.

Lehner was released by Buffalo, the 31st worst team in the league last year. So was Johnson.

You know what you get with Mrazek, a good game, a bad one and a meh one, in no particular order.

Ugh. Neuvirth is probably looking better and better every day, lol. How long until Carter Hart is ready for your boys, lol? Nothing left unless you pursue a trade.

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

You know what you get with Mrazek, a good game, a bad one and a meh one, in no particular order.

A good game, a bad one, a meh one, frightened women and children left crying in the stands, a car accidentally left in drive that slams into a Cracker Barrell ruining perfectly good fried dog ####, holes in nets, burnt out goal lights, closing Sears stores, hell on earth.

I have a feeling the two goalies on opening night will be Elliott and Neuvirth. 

Hextall seemed upbeat about Neuvirth trying something new this summer to stay healthy, and having Stolarz and Lyon gives us two options when Neuvirth inevitably gets injured. 

There just aren't many great options out there, and if there are good trades  to be made, I'm not sure we'd like the cost. 

On 6/29/2018 at 6:27 PM, AJgoal said:

Was it Milbury that tried to sign a sumo wrestler to play goal?

Yes and no. It looks like Wang was the likely mastermind behind that brilliant idea.

On an entirely unrelated note, I wonder why JT jumped ship in the end.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/sports/hockey/charles-b-wang-the-islanders-unorthodox-owner.html

But then Wang was, from the start, a basketball fan and a hockey novice. Mike Milbury, a former general manager of the Islanders, recalled that Wang wanted to get rid of the team’s scouts (to rely on the league’s central scouting system) and try out sumo wrestlers as goaltenders.

“He assumed that nobody could put a goal past a sumo wrestler,” Milbury said in a telephone interview from Boston.

I think our GM's belief in a "new" Neuvirth is a bit strange. I think the guy will play one game...then have bad BM that will lead to a trip and fall in the poddy...with a resulting groin pull..bad news.  

Archived