Wilds free agent signings

yave1964

7 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

The Wild rally cry? That's the rally cry of EVERY Minnesota team! 🤣

Doesn't matter who this team adds, they just aren't Playoff material. This team is not mentally tough. There is no leadership on the team.

And they do this every season. Make a few changes to the third and fourth lines by adding tough guys, picking up a #6 or #7 tough guy defenseman and then proclaiming that THIS is the year...

Truly, this team needs a rebuild. But I wouldn't trust the scouts any farther than I can throw them. Everyone saw what gem they landed in the first round. I'd hate to see those clowns with the opportunity at a top three pick...

For me, it all goes back to the unwarranted signings of Suter and Praise.....especially Suter....useless, or at least vastly overrated and well past his prime when he got there. Praise has always been injury prone. Just two bad signings and I thought that from day one. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

For me, it all goes back to the unwarranted signings of Suter and Praise.....especially Suter....useless, or at least vastly overrated and well past his prime when he got there. Praise has always been injury prone. Just two bad signings and I thought that from day one. 

As Jacques Lemaire used to say "There's no doubt."

Free Agent Frenzy as Wild sign 7 players

I wrote up a complete summary of the 7 players we signed yesterday.  Not really an exciting day, but I think most of the signings were pretty sensible.  They still have a fair amount of space for Zucker and Dumba...we'll see if we deal them or sign them.  One player's signing could trigger the trade of the other...enjoy!  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Free Agent Frenzy as Wild sign 7 players

I wrote up a complete summary of the 7 players we signed yesterday.  Not really an exciting day, but I think most of the signings were pretty sensible.  They still have a fair amount of space for Zucker and Dumba...we'll see if we deal them or sign them.  One player's signing could trigger the trade of the other...enjoy!  

To me it appeared the Wild were doing their yearly "Let's sign a tough guy"...I'm not disappointed with the signings, not impressed either. But I didn't expect much. They are bumping the cap and still need to sign Zucker and Dumba. But if they think that retooling the fourth line is the "tweak" needed to get to the Cup...🤣

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

To me it appeared the Wild were doing their yearly "Let's sign a tough guy"...I'm not disappointed with the signings, not impressed either. But I didn't expect much. They are bumping the cap and still need to sign Zucker and Dumba. But if they think that retooling the fourth line is the "tweak" needed to get to the Cup...🤣

I agree it probably isn't enough, but its really all they can afford.  I am not saying a trade will happen, but I still think there is a fair chance we see one yet.  When?  Tough to say...but I think teams that did little or nothing; or lost out on the Taveres sweepstakes might be looking to swap players.  

All it takes is #16 or #24 to ask for more than half of what's left and we'll see a trade.  I guess my question to everyone would be...who would you rather keep?  

#16 or #24?  

There is no doubt that there is always a hope. Let's will try to be more and more positive, otherwise, it brings just only a deep depression, especially when I see kind of an oldish recent free-agent signings with a low level of any points(goals,1st,2nd assists) in their NHL career. Even by playing in a 3rd and 4th lines it should be a better statistics. Cullen is an example. Maybe the hidden treasure finally will start sparkling for them with the new team? Who knows? Hopefully, yes. Our team was not good at all even before that handcuffed (Parise-Suter) contract. For years we were not capable to reach even a 1st playoffs round. At least currently we have some consistency on reaching playoffs. Not many NHL teams capable to do that for years.  Now we have 6 playoffs seasons in a row, and the last 2 seasons(2016-2017; 2017-2018) we are finishing 2nd and 3rd in our Central Division with more than 100 points (2nd and 4th place respectively out of the entire Western Conference ), which we did not have before.  Some progress is evident. But superior star's talent, the toughness of the team, solid goaltender's play, consistent production in all 4 lines are still missing.  There is no doubt that a superior scouting staff is still missing too since the initiation of the Wild team.

19 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agree it probably isn't enough, but its really all they can afford.  I am not saying a trade will happen, but I still think there is a fair chance we see one yet.  When?  Tough to say...but I think teams that did little or nothing; or lost out on the Taveres sweepstakes might be looking to swap players.  

All it takes is #16 or #24 to ask for more than half of what's left and we'll see a trade.  I guess my question to everyone would be...who would you rather keep?  

#16 or #24?  

Personally I want to keep Zucker #16. Zucker plays with heart. He has gotten better each year and currently with Staal it’s a good combo. I want a player that wants to be here and is going to play like he cares. 

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

#16 or #24?  

30 goal scorers don’t grow on trees. But won’t the Wild look like a clown show trading Dumba to whatever team after they let Haula and Tuch go to protect Dumba from Vegas. Boy, those three extra games Fletcher gave Dumba in 2013 REALLY look stupid now...

Wonder if if they just go to arbitration with one or both of them...

13 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

30 goal scorers don’t grow on trees. But won’t the Wild look like a clown show trading Dumba to whatever team after they let Haula and Tuch go to protect Dumba from Vegas. Boy, those three extra games Fletcher gave Dumba in 2013 REALLY look stupid now...

Wonder if if they just go to arbitration with one or both of them...

You are 100% correct.  Those 3 games which triggered the first year of his entry level deal look pretty moronic now.  30-goal scorers don't grow on trees and this is an extra rare variety in the fact its been 'home grown' in the fact he was a player the team drafted.  People can check to see if I'm wrong, but Marian Gaborik and Jason Zucker are the ONLY 30-goal scorers this team has drafted in its franchise history.  

59 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

You are 100% correct.  Those 3 games which triggered the first year of his entry level deal look pretty moronic now.  30-goal scorers don't grow on trees and this is an extra rare variety in the fact its been 'home grown' in the fact he was a player the team drafted.  People can check to see if I'm wrong, but Marian Gaborik and Jason Zucker are the ONLY 30-goal scorers this team has drafted in its franchise history.  

LIG, You are right. Both are our single "home grown" products, capable to pass 30 goals mark in 18 years of the Wild history.

With Neal in Calgary and Stasney in LV - curious what Zucker is thinking dollar wise - and how much he'd like to give another team a shot. Dumba is Dumba - but agree - no way they protect him and then let him go... Will be interesting to see what happens to those two...

On 7/1/2018 at 8:52 PM, Lonkkis said:

Moves that strengthen our bottom lines and Iowa. Not bad. I especially like JT Browns attitude:

"Let's be real, not everybody can be a superstar,” he said. “There’s only so many to go around. Most importantly is I wanted to play in this league. I made sure that I did what I had to in the situations that I was in to make sure I stayed here. For me, I wouldn’t say it was very difficult because I knew what my end goal was. I wanted to play in the NHL and I wanted to stay there. It was about being open and willing to do whatever it took to stay there."

(Quote from The Athletic)

👍

Lonkkis, Hopefully, it will strengthen our bottom lines and Iowa.  It was nice, that he recognized he is not a superstar, but he should never ever tell that to public. I think it was not a smart thought, which came out of him. Fans usually make their own personal opinions about a player, find out his talent and strength  during the player's game. Many talented hockey players are dreaming to play in NHL, but not everyone is playing there. In my opinion, only superstars should be playing in NHL just to raise the level of an outstanding beauty of the professional hockey. Otherwise we could say about those type of players - I am nobody and my name is "Nobody" too.

17 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Lonkkis, Hopefully, it will strengthen our bottom lines and Iowa.  It was nice, that he recognized he is not a superstar, but he should never ever tell that to public. I think it was not a smart thought, which came out of him. Fans usually make their own personal opinions about a player, find out his talent and strength  during the player's game. Many talented hockey players are dreaming to play in NHL, but not everyone is playing there. In my opinion, only superstars should be playing in NHL just to raise the level of an outstanding beauty of the professional hockey. Otherwise we could say about those type of players - I am nobody and my name is "Nobody" too.

I'll tell you what, I'd rather have a guy like this on the team that knows his role and his limitations and is willing to do anything to stick on the team rather than a first round draft pick that acts like he knows everything or deserves to be in the NHL...

4 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

The Wild redid their boards at least twice that I can remember, and people lost tons of posts.  I know I lost about 20K. Crease and Assist I bet lost close to 50K...

That and it was populated with the Wild Cheerleaders who came after anyone who didn't think Mikko Koivu was a hockey god or that every move the team made was golden...

I have never been a big Koivu fan. He was one of the worst 1C's in the league. In his prime, he should have been a respectable 2C but was miscast as a number 1 in my view. 

As far as the Wild go in general, I'm not at all convinced that Fenton is the right man to lead the charge. Don't like his drafting or FA signings.....the guy seems lost and out of touch with what it takes to win in this league. By the time Wild ownership comes to the conclusion, years may slip away. 

T

Just now, jammer2 said:

I have never been a big Koivu fan. He was one of the worst 1C's in the league. In his prime, he should have been a respectable 2C but was miscast as a number 1 in my view. 

As far as the Wild go in general, I'm not at all convinced that Fenton is the right man to lead the charge. Don't like his drafting or FA signings.....the guy seems lost and out of touch with what it takes to win in this league. By the time Wild ownership comes to the conclusion, years may slip away. 

T

You hit the nail on the head. Koivu is (was) a good hockey player. But he's not a great hockey player. He's not the type of player you build a franchise around (like the Wild did), or the type that when the team needs that one shove to get over the line, he's the player to do it. The Wild beat writer Michael Russo always said Koivu hates to lose more than any player he's ever covered on the Wild, but you wouldn't know it from watching him. There are rocks in my garden that show more emotion than Koivu...

I'm going to give Fenton a few seasons. I don't think Scotty Bowman could have done much with FA's the way the Wild are bumping the cap and hogtied by the Parise/Suter deals. They were depth signings, and at least it looks like they are trying to address the Wild's lack of toughness (once again).

Drafting, though, I agree with you. There was no reason to grab Johansson when there were other, better players available. Which is why I want the Wild to clean house with their scouting staff. That staff would screw up a draft if they had the choice between Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin and Allen Iverson...

7 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I'm going to give Fenton a few seasons. I don't think Scotty Bowman could have done much with FA's the way the Wild are bumping the cap and hogtied by the Parise/Suter deals. They were depth signings, and at least it looks like they are trying to address the Wild's lack of toughness (once again).

That is fair, when previous GM's screw the cap pooch....it's hard, almost impossible to maneuver the way you want to. Flyer fans saw this first hand when Homer was forced to hand the reigns to Hextall. He left the team with no cap space, a putrid prospect pool and an ungodly number of no movement clauses. Just 5 years later, we have what is widely regarded as the best prospect pool, 17 mill in cap space pre JVR and 1 NMC....down from 9....lol. I guess it would only be fair to extend Fenton the same time as it took Hexy to right the ship....not 5 years, but at least a few.

I really don't like Fenton's depth signings this year though, they are stinky.....time will tell. With the moves he made, it appears to me that he thinks there is no young talent ready to step in.....or these vets would not be needed...right?  Thing is....I dont think that is the case. He made moves that were not really needed...in other words, just cause you have cap space, does not mean you have to spend it....save it, gives you better leverage in a trade etc....

On 7/2/2018 at 4:19 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

All it takes is #16 or #24 to ask for more than half of what's left and we'll see a trade.  I guess my question to everyone would be...who wIould you rather keep?  

#16 or #24?  

I have no preference other than, if it's #24, the return has to be significant since he plays such a difficult position to acquire,....a point producing RHD.    The key factor on #16, if they lose him, he better be replaced by equivalent speed...or a rather slow team will get significantly slower. 

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

That is fair, when previous GM's screw the cap pooch....it's hard, almost impossible to maneuver the way you want to. Flyer fans saw this first hand when Homer was forced to hand the reigns to Hextall. He left the team with no cap space, a putrid prospect pool and an ungodly number of no movement clauses. Just 5 years later, we have what is widely regarded as the best prospect pool, 17 mill in cap space pre JVR and 1 NMC....down from 9....lol. I guess it would only be fair to extend Fenton the same time as it took Hexy to right the ship....not 5 years, but at least a few.

I really don't like Fenton's depth signings this year though, they are stinky.....time will tell. With the moves he made, it appears to me that he thinks there is no young talent ready to step in.....or these vets would not be needed...right?  Thing is....I dont think that is the case. He made moves that were not really needed...in other words, just cause you have cap space, does not mean you have to spend it....save it, gives you better leverage in a trade etc....

The Wild are in that same boat. Bumping the cap, mediocre prospects at best, NMC's to overage players, etc. Which is why most of us were hoping for a rebuild, but then the owner comes out and states no rebuild, we just need a few tweaks to bring the Cup home. I think I shot coffee out of my nose when I read that. If Leipold truly believes this team is just a few tweaks away from the Cup, then I'm the next Wayne Gretzky. I am hoping there is some way the team can get out of those Parise/Suter deals, but it doesn't look like it. I think the team is going to be stuck with those cap hits for-ev-er...🤬

As far as the depth signings, they are not the greatest (I think he paid too much for Pateryn, but when no one on defense will throw a check for fear of wrinkling their sweater, you have to have some toughness...). But the rest are one year/two year deals. Not going to lose any sleep over them.

But the reason for those signings is that no one in Iowa has shown they are ready to step in. No one is dominating at their position.  

One thing I hope Fenton changes is the Wild's tendency to rush their prospects before they are ready. They are in a pickle this season with Matthew Dumba because the former GM allowed him to stay with the NHL team for 13 games in 2013 (rather than 10) and then sent him back to Portland, basically blowing the first year of his rookie contract over three games. I really hope Fenton leaves players like Kunin, Greenway, Soucy, etc. in Iowa until they are truly ready to contribute. Not just give them a roster spot because they are a #1 pick...

12 minutes ago, 4Check said:

I have no preference other than, if it's #24, the return has to be significant since he plays such a difficult position to acquire,....a point producing RHD.    The key factor on #16, if they lose him, he better be replaced by equivalent speed...or a rather slow team will get significantly slower. 

But they drafted Johansson! He'll be a point producing RHD! The scouts said so! :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

But they drafted Johansson! He'll be a point producing RHD! The scouts said so! :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Yup we may see him in 4-5 years, if he improves...only after two or more seasons of playing overseas, then playing in the ahl and adjusting to the rink size. Sounds like another garbage first round pick, but again it's the wild so unfortunately I have had to get used to that over the years. 

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

The Wild are in that same boat. Bumping the cap, mediocre prospects at best, NMC's to overage players, etc. Which is why most of us were hoping for a rebuild, but then the owner comes out and states no rebuild, we just need a few tweaks to bring the Cup home. I think I shot coffee out of my nose when I read that. If Leipold truly believes this team is just a few tweaks away from the Cup, then I'm the next Wayne Gretzky. I am hoping there is some way the team can get out of those Parise/Suter deals, but it doesn't look like it. I think the team is going to be stuck with those cap hits for-ev-er...🤬

As far as the depth signings, they are not the greatest (I think he paid too much for Pateryn, but when no one on defense will throw a check for fear of wrinkling their sweater, you have to have some toughness...). But the rest are one year/two year deals. Not going to lose any sleep over them.

But the reason for those signings is that no one in Iowa has shown they are ready to step in. No one is dominating at their position.  

One thing I hope Fenton changes is the Wild's tendency to rush their prospects before they are ready. They are in a pickle this season with Matthew Dumba because the former GM allowed him to stay with the NHL team for 13 games in 2013 (rather than 10) and then sent him back to Portland, basically blowing the first year of his rookie contract over three games. I really hope Fenton leaves players like Kunin, Greenway, Soucy, etc. in Iowa until they are truly ready to contribute. Not just give them a roster spot because they are a #1 pick...

I am with Illa Zilla.  The depth signings are what they are.  IMO, the kids should prove themselves in Iowa.  That in itself would be a major shift in philosophy; which we have talked about exhaustively here already.  

I think Greenway will be given a free pass, but Kunin will again start the year in Iowa (as he should).  

35 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

LOL our scouts are so bad that if we had the top pick this year they probably would have been questioning whether or not to pick Dahlin.

isn't that the truth? I have zero faith in the Wild's scouting, drafting and development.

On 7/3/2018 at 12:20 PM, Confrontational said:

With Neal in Calgary and Stasney in LV - curious what Zucker is thinking dollar wise - and how much he'd like to give another team a shot. Dumba is Dumba - but agree - no way they protect him and then let him go... Will be interesting to see what happens to those two...

Russo stated on his most recent podcast that Zucker is thinking he's worth $6 million per season, but the Wild are thinking something closer to $5 million.  Both Zucker & Dumba have arbitration rights.  

Archived