Power Play Unit 1 and 2

I was watching a NHL video on Toronto and how they were giddy about having Tavares on the team, when they got to the topic of Power Play possibilities, they brought up JVR  and how he slotted in the power play as if he was a part of the team in a sense of how good he was in that position. Was kind of strange talking about oh wow we have this player now(Tavares) and then referencing JVR on how he was solid on the PP, and he's not even on the team.

So thought what was the crews thoughts here on our power play options.

Hope this doesn't start a war on personal ideas but was hoping a discussion would blossom out of this part of the team that can win us some games in an 82 game season and hopefully Playoffs.

Do you drop JVR on Unit 1 having him be in the spot of Simmer/Patrick?

And move Simmer and Patrick on Unit 2 with Konecny with Lindblom and Proverov?

Or have G, Coots, JVR, Patrick and Ghost on Unit 1.

Jake, Simmer, Konecny, Lindblom(/Sandheim) and Provorov on Unit 2?

I think if Simmonds is on the team, I would go back to last year's starting PP1 of Giroux, Voracek, Gostisbehere, Couturier, Simmonds. Then give Patrick a chance to run his own powerplay with Patrick, JVR, Konecny, Provorov. I'm not sure who I would use in the fifth spot there, though. Sanheim probably makes the most sense, but Laughton might work if you want to stick with the 4 forward look, as might Raffl. I'm not sure that Weal would be a fit anywhere, and I don't want Lehtera anywhere near either special teams unit. If Frost makes the team, I think he would get a crack at it too.

What about slotting Lindblom on Unit 2? That would have 3 Forward bodies that can rotate from behind the net and post themselves in front of the goalie with Konecny as another possible sniper from the dots and Provy barraging the Point.

Though Laughton sounds OK too, as does Raffl. Just want to get Lindblom going this year and build up his goals for the year as a development to his game. Of course we can swap players in and out on the second Unit so he's not overloaded for the whole season.

I think Weal can spot the LW on Unit 2 on occasion maybe a few games a month to throw off the opponent and see if he can contribute some goals as well.

This is fun and the amount of forward talent (and potential) has me feeling like there could be 2 potent units on the power play.

I would do Giroux, Jake, Patrick, Ghost and Provorov on the first unit. The thought here is overwhelm the PK with talent. 

Then have Couturier run the second unit with Koneckny, Lindblom or JvR, Simmer and Sanheim...whom I have making the club out of camp because did you watch him down the stretch?

Here's another thing, Andrew MacDonald can play on my second unit in a pinch, also I'd have no problem having Raffl pop in there in a pinch.

I like Patrick's hands better than Simmer's for PP1, I think that kid is going to be really damn good and the more touches he gets the better. 

When I typed this up initially I didn't include JvR.  He is a known PP contributor. But I would not hesitate to yank his ass if Lindblom puts it together in 5 v 5.   

I love that we have a lot of smart players.

I am looking forward to hockey - I miss it.

The thing is, how much time are the coaches going to invest in the pre season on Power Play Units and different looks.

Worst case is keep the same unit out there at the start and slip in the player/chemistry during practice to better allocate the pieces, but I believe they should really focus on Special Teams to make sure we have a good start to the season. since the refs might be calling it strict in the beginning and the games will seem to be affected by Specialty Teams in the first quarter of the season, since they like to call it tight to lay down the law. (stick taps and ticky tack holds on players)

13 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I think if Simmonds is on the team, I would go back to last year's starting PP1 of Giroux, Voracek, Gostisbehere, Couturier, Simmonds. Then give Patrick a chance to run his own powerplay with Patrick, JVR, Konecny, Provorov. I'm not sure who I would use in the fifth spot there, though. Sanheim probably makes the most sense, but Laughton might work if you want to stick with the 4 forward look, as might Raffl. I'm not sure that Weal would be a fit anywhere, and I don't want Lehtera anywhere near either special teams unit. If Frost makes the team, I think he would get a crack at it too.

At the end of the day it is all about goals and wins. So yes move guys around till it works. But Simmer back on the top PP and as you say let Patrick run the 2nd is a good start.

PP1: Giorux, Jake, Ghost, Coots and Simmer

PP2: Patty, JVR, TK, Provo Cop and Lindblom 

Those two if only on paper sound like a lethal good starting spot.

Adn wehn time presented itself and Ivan and Ghost look to need a break from heavy minutes Sanheim i think could fill in in a pinch.

It would be nice if Lehtera could be waived to make room for a Frost, Vorobyev, Vecchione or Aube Kubel even.

If they earned the spot that is.

If you think you're going to re-up Simmonds then he goes on the 2nd pp...for one because he's a team guy and won't complain and for two to keep his numbers respectable. I'm sure he already has a number in his head but if he comes out red hot it could go up.

If Hextall is thinking trade, throw him on pp #1...it can only bring his value up. Probably not a huge factor either way, but something.

On 7/13/2018 at 4:34 PM, LegionOfDoom said:

I was watching a NHL video on Toronto and how they were giddy about having Tavares on the team, when they got to the topic of Power Play possibilities, they brought up JVR  and how he slotted in the power play as if he was a part of the team in a sense of how good he was in that position. Was kind of strange talking about oh wow we have this player now(Tavares) and then referencing JVR on how he was solid on the PP, and he's not even on the team.

So thought what was the crews thoughts here on our power play options.

Hope this doesn't start a war on personal ideas but was hoping a discussion would blossom out of this part of the team that can win us some games in an 82 game season and hopefully Playoffs.

Do you drop JVR on Unit 1 having him be in the spot of Simmer/Patrick?

And move Simmer and Patrick on Unit 2 with Konecny with Lindblom and Proverov?

Or have G, Coots, JVR, Patrick and Ghost on Unit 1.

Jake, Simmer, Konecny, Lindblom(/Sandheim) and Provorov on Unit 2?

Its fun to think about and there are endless possibilities, but For my money it’s too hard to know without knowing who the bottom 2 Centers are going to be. 

Assuming Frost doesn’t make the team, i’d Probably try out:

PP1-Giroux Patrick JVR Jake Ghost

PP2- Coots Simmer TK Sanheim Provo 

It’s a fun idea though to think about a Two Towers approach to PK 2 and out JVR and Simmer together (aka the way Coots and Patrick did down the stretch run but likely tougher) however I just don’t know who’d center them if Patrick and Coots are both on the top unit.  

The the big problem wth the above is that it leaves only scrub D men rested afterwards if they don’t score, so you could swap out Sanheim for a forward like Lindblomnor even Raffl, but please no “heavy shot” guys like Gudas just because they’re righty D men. 

It sounds a lot like Radcliffe will be a power play mainstay in a year.  Possibly a Simmons replacement if not done in trade or UFA. 

On 7/14/2018 at 8:01 AM, flyercanuck said:

If you think you're going to re-up Simmonds then he goes on the 2nd pp...for one because he's a team guy and won't complain and for two to keep his numbers respectable. I'm sure he already has a number in his head but if he comes out red hot it could go up.

If Hextall is thinking trade, throw him on pp #1...it can only bring his value up. Probably not a huge factor either way, but something.

I think it’s clear that nothing happens on the nightly roster or line combos because Hextall says it should.  

On 7/14/2018 at 8:01 AM, flyercanuck said:

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I think it’s clear that nothing happens on the nightly roster or line combos because Hextall says it should.  

And they're not going into the season with the intention of trading Simmonds. If he's on the roster when the season opens, he's there for the duration, unless they fall hopelessly out of playoff contention.

7 hours ago, AJgoal said:

And they're not going into the season with the intention of trading Simmonds. If he's on the roster when the season opens, he's there for the duration, unless they fall hopelessly out of playoff contention.

Or unless someone offers them something hextall thinks has more value to the team going forward.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Or unless someone offers them something hextall thinks has more value to the team going forward.

It would have to be pretty valuable to risk ripping the locker room apart. Simmonds is one of the few players in the league who I believe is actually more valuable to the team than his production. If the Flyers are in playoff position and they trade Simmonds, especially if it's just for futures, there's a serious chance the players revolt. Different teams and all, but remember how the Blues players reacted to Statsny getting traded at the deadline - they felt betrayed and said as much to the media. And they were out of a playoff spot at the time. Simmonds would be much worse.

It's easy for us to look at things and say it makes sense to move him from a purely value standpoint, because it absolutely does. But the Flyers also want to win something in the playoffs, even if it's just a round this coming year. I have serious doubts that they risk that over a couple of picks/prospects when it comes to Simmonds this year. I think there's still a chance he's moved in the offseason, but if he's on the opening night roster I'd be extremely surprised if he's not here for the duration.

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

So rumor has it that Sam Bennett is being shopper so would that be a guy you would move Simmer for?

I would be interested in him.

However the cost as always determines how much I would be interested.

Could be a nice center addition.

Couturier

Patrick

Bennett

Vorobyev

Down the middle?

Giroux/Coots/TK

JVR/Patty/Jake

Lindy/Bennett/Raffl

Laughton/Vorobyev/Weal?

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

So rumor has it that Sam Bennett is being shopper so would that be a guy you would move Simmer for?

I would be interested in him.

However the cost as always determines how much I would be interested.

The Simmonds situation is tricky, but at this point, I don't know if you want to risk damaging the morale and the locker room for the sake of anything that isn't an obvious game changer for this team.  

I don't know too much about Bennet, but he alone doesn't seem like that kind of a player. Karlsson, obviously.  Dougie Hamilton sure.  But those players require(d) more going than just Simmonds.  Meanwhile, Bennet?  He's young, but what's the scuttlebutt?  He's been okay.  I don't know how he looks at all, but his numbers are on par with TK and Patrick's first year (though he's done about the same for three years and they both look much better than when they first started).  He'd play Center this year and have more upside than say a Laughton or Lehtera as 3C, but with Frost in the wings, you gotta think his time at C would be limited to this year.  Then what? Switch him to wing?

The team that's left after any potential Simmonds deal just has to know that the deal was done for the sake of making the team better not just 5 years from now, but NOW and five years from now.  They can't keep thinking this window is a few years off.  It's opening now.  It's time to compete.  

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

We can never have too many centers imo. Even if Frost comes in and immediately secures the 3C spot, having a second natural center on the same line is often very useful. Giroux and Couts are a perfect example of this. And of course we really don't know for sure that Frost will make it or when. Maybe Bennett's size and playstyle makes him more suitable to the position anyway, while Frost ends up being better as a shifty winger. We really don't know. Having more options is always better.

I'm honestly not sure. I feel like Simmonds is worth more than just Bennett. The truth is Bennett has yet to live up to his potential, while Simmonds has been arguably the league's best power forward for the last half decade now. Calgary would do this to get a top six RW who is a nightmare on the power play. Bennett so far is a fringe top six guy with limited results. Sure, he's got potential, but potential doesn't win games.

All to say, would Calgary be sending something else over to sweeten the deal? I may be interested if so. Otherwise, I'm really not so sure. As @King Knut mentioned, it seems like a toss up whether Bennett alone would be worth losing one of our locker room leaders. 

Personally I'm very wary of trading a high level talent like Simmonds (even if he did have a bad year) for a guy who has trouble cracking 30 pts. That's not to say I don't like Bennett. There's every reason to believe he will turn out to be just as good or better, and he's obviously much younger. He also does play a physical game, which I think is important given we'd be losing such a guy in the process. But if the winner of the trade is always the team that gets the best player, CGY better pony up something extra to make this work imo. Cause it seems pretty obvious to me who the best player is in this scenario.

As you say, we'd need more details.

6 hours ago, Digityman said:

I like this:

PP1-Giroux Coots JVR Jake Ghost

PP2- Patrick  Simmer TK Sanheim Provo 

The more I think about it (because there’s nothing else to think about regarding hockey right now) I wonder if JVR doesn’t make more sense on PP2. 

If they basically shift the PP strategy and roles to the right side and put TK in the Giroux role -which makes the most sense to me- you’d probably want a natural LW on the other side to play the inverse of the Simmonds role.  Same is true of PP1, the. You have Simmer and Jake on their natural right side. 

You could theoretically swap out Lindblom for Sanheim at some point if added size and a forward brain might help, but Sanheim’s got good instincts even in what should be more of a pass/set up role. 

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

You could theoretically swap out Lindblom for Sanheim at some point if added size and a forward brain might help, but Sanheim’s got good instincts even in what should be more of a pass/set up role.

Has Lindlom ever played the point?

The NHL isn't the place to learn,  I'd be wary of trying this.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Has Lindlom ever played the point?

The NHL isn't the place to learn,  I'd be wary of trying this.

I  Said you COULD. There isn’t another LW i’d Try it with. And it’s not really “playing the point” That’s still Provo.  Jake doesn’t really play the point and neither does G.  

Archived