Wild vs. Sabres 11/17/18 @ 5:00PM at the X

CreaseAndAssist

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffalo Stays Patient and Rallies Back to Defeat the Wild 3-2

I agree with IllaZilla.  This team decided to get fancy instead of just burying them.  The Sabres began to believe they had a chance and they stayed patient and got the win.  Zero excuses for crap like that.  I have a full game recap, an extended Iowa Wild report and prospect news too, check it out!  

7 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Sabres win off Pommer's stick!!!!!!!!!!!!  Love it.  5 in a row best in  the NHL!!!

PS  On to Pittsburgh!!!  Who are currently getting lit up!!!

JP would rather be lucky than good.🙂

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Nice to see someone that likes Sabres other than me.    

I'm a Housley guy--I happened to have played a couple of rounds of golf with him back when he was coaching the Stillwater Ponies(high school). Good guy.

45 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Serves them right. They dicked around the second period instead of putting this team away and it came back to bite them in the ass. 

Agree IllaZilla. Exactly what they deserved. Not acceptable at all loss against that team. Few questions for this one game. Why they did not build a solid cushion after the 1st period? Everything was possible, because Buffalo is certainly not a Capitals team. Why they put Dubnyk for this game? Why they did not give a chance to Stalock? Just listened Bruce Boudreau talk after the game - he was very upset about this loss. He was talking that ,probably, the fancy line Zucker-Staal-Granlund will be changed, because they need a better production.

10 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

I'm a Housley guy--I happened to have played a couple of rounds of golf with him back when he was coaching the Stillwater Ponies(high school). Good guy.

Well that is great that you met him.   I was a big fan when he played for us but being  Sabres fan since day 1 in 1970, I am more of  Ruff guy.  But i am very excited for the first time in years.  And I know that Pegula has put us in position to make sure this time things end much different.  With several top round picks and arguably two number ones in Dahlin nd Eichel, we have the youth and talent to win a Cup here or more than one.  We must support them and  that is never a problem.  Pegula will put up the money to keep the big names here.  We are ahead of schedule.  I just wish Housley would notice more of some glaring problems but now I am believing he is just patiently waiting.  We have Thomson out there why?  Because we are still a few guys short and a couple of years of seasoning short of being in the category of a team like Tampa.  But when we get there, look out.  Because we have a ton of young talent.  Begosian is another guy that is pissing me off.  He almost gave the game away in the final seconds of regulation last night with a stupid turnover.  I would keep him though because you need some fighters and he is a tough cookie.  Scandella?  I would trade him NOW.  We could get something for him as some dillusional people think he can play.  But all in all, I am tickled pink over the recent play

59 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Buffalo Stays Patient and Rallies Back to Defeat the Wild 3-2

I agree with IllaZilla.  This team decided to get fancy instead of just burying them.  The Sabres began to believe they had a chance and they stayed patient and got the win.  Zero excuses for crap like that.  I have a full game recap, an extended Iowa Wild report and prospect news too, check it out!  

LIG, I am impressed too about THREE shutouts in a row (3:0; 3:0; 6:0) for our young Finnish goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen. Definitely Iowa Wild team having a great chance to get and be successful in a playoffs run. So far we have an impressive results for our team there - 1st in AHL Central.  

Ok, this game upset me....so...
Begin Rant....

Was all excited about the way this game started... Parise, Dumba, put the Wild up 2-0 relatively quickly.....and the cruise to the finish is on, right?

Nope.

Maybe that was partially the problem..... Wild 'cruised' at times during the game?
Not sure what to think here.

Hate to say it, but DO credit the Buffalo Sabres.
They've been building something over there the last several years and they have won some impressive games (such as the Jets and Lightning games I mentioned earlier)….they are finding ways to come up with goals, defending pretty well come crunch time, and their goaltending has been head n shoulders above what its been in YEARS.

I don't wanna say maybe the Wild took these guys lightly (I haven't looked at the records, but seems to me the Sabres don't win too often at the X), but maybe, perhaps, as fiery as they came out, maybe some guys thought Buffalo was going to roll over.

As for the Pomminville game winner, look, I say that was a lucky shot.
Yes, he was skilled enough to corral then shoot the puck, but that thing hit the post....then bounced in from the ridiculous position he was in.
But how many times do we see that same shot hit the post and stay out?

Were the Sabres lucky to win?
No. They BEAT Minnesota. Wild are gonna have to look at video and be honest with themselves (not with the fans, not with the media...not even with their coach...THEMSELVES)...and they need to ask, "Did we let up on them because of who we thought they were?"

If the answer is "yes", then maybe a lesson is learned here and Minnesota continues to play all 60 minutes.
Something I know we ALL have said about this team before... They don't always play 60 minutes. 
And they do it against a young, hungry up n comer like Buffalo, who want to be in the position the Wild are in (I.E. making the playoffs every year), and THIS is the result.

To me, this one doesn't hurt because it was Pommer that scored the game winner (good for him, but he might not score again for another 4 or 5 games), but rather because Minnesota started out so hot....and allowed Buffalo to fizzle them out.

Look in the mirror Minnesota Wild.
You guys got outworked, outplayed, and in the end, luck favored the more persistent team.

Fortunately, with a game in Chicago tomorrow, the Wild won't have too much time to dwell on this wound, but they need to get their schtick together and quit breaking down defensively at the worst possible times.

A string of teams that can put pucks in nets (despite other deficiencies) will be calling on Minnesota soon...Hawks tomorrow, Senators after, Jets and those sneaky Coyotes.
Tests of all sorts.....but more a test of Minnesota's mental make up.
If they play everyone like the opponent is tops in the league, maybe this team will be fine.
But anymore "letting up" because the opponent is struggling, or traditionally has struggled, and Minnesota will be getting more of these "gut punches"

/Rant

35 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Begin Rant....

Was all excited about the way this game started... Parise, Dumba, put the Wild up 2-0 relatively quickly.....and the cruise to the finish is on, right?

Nope.

Maybe that was partially the problem..... Wild 'cruised' at times during the game?

They've been building something over there the last several years and they have won some impressive games (such as the Jets and Lightning games I mentioned earlier)….they are finding ways to come up with goals, defending pretty well come crunch time, and their goaltending has been head n shoulders above what its been in YEARS.

I don't wanna say maybe the Wild took these guys lightly (I haven't looked at the records, but seems to me the Sabres don't win too often at the X), but maybe, perhaps, as fiery as they came out, maybe some guys thought Buffalo was going to roll over.

Yes, he was skilled enough to corral then shoot the puck, but that thing hit the post....then bounced in from the ridiculous position he was in.

No. They BEAT Minnesota. Wild are gonna have to look at video and be honest with themselves (not with the fans, not with the media...not even with their coach...THEMSELVES)...and they need to ask, "Did we let up on them because of who we thought they were?"

If the answer is "yes", then maybe a lesson is learned here and Minnesota continues to play all 60 minutes.
Something I know we ALL have said about this team before... They don't always play 60 minutes. 
And they do it against a young, hungry up n comer like Buffalo, who want to be in the position the Wild are in (I.E. making the playoffs every year), and THIS is the result.

To me, this one doesn't hurt because it was Pommer that scored the game winner (good for him, but he might not score again for another 4 or 5 games), but rather because Minnesota started out so hot....and allowed Buffalo to fizzle them out.

You guys got outworked, outplayed, and in the end, luck favored the more persistent team.

Fortunately, with a game in Chicago tomorrow, the Wild won't have too much time to dwell on this wound, but they need to get their schtick together and quit breaking down defensively at the worst possible times.

A string of teams that can put pucks in nets (despite other deficiencies) will be calling on Minnesota soon...Hawks tomorrow, Senators after, Jets and those sneaky Coyotes.
If they play everyone like the opponent is tops in the league, maybe this team will be fine.
But anymore "letting up" because the opponent is struggling, or traditionally has struggled, and Minnesota will be getting more of these "gut punches"

/Rant

The Sabres had a string  of road games where they put up 40 + shots on goal.  That has stopped a bit and I think Housley to his credit is trying to teach defense a bit.  Being a D man himself.  I do not like the turnovers by Begosian or Scandella (who I hope they trade), but we do need Zach for other reasons, notably his fighting ability.  The line of Skinner, Eichel and Reinhart is going to be one of the best in the NHL and may be already.  We are not where your team is yet.  But I assure you we will be.  Risto and Dahlin are two great young defensement.  I like how MIddlestadt  shows so much emotion when things do not work out the way he planned, lets say on a shot hitting the post.  He is working his butt off to improve and he is going to be another good one.  We have weapons for the first time in years.  And its nice to see Jason Pommenville who I watched come up from Rochester with his friend Derrick Roy way back and now he is helping these young guys believe.  I hope Jason can last long enough for a deep playoff run one more time. There may be one much sooner than many here believed.

6 hours ago, MNSOTA said:

Ugh, I think I'm starting to get sick. I've been battling a sore throat for over a week, but it hasn't been enough for me to go in and get it checked out (why deal with a 30 minute drive and a $20 co-pay for a cold they probably wouldn't give me anything for). But of course since I've taken this week off, NOW is when I'm going to start really getting sick. I'm actually HOPING for an ear infection, because then they'll give me antibiotics.

What is going on in a Wild Division - first Staal, then Parise, and now MNSOTA? Did they all had a flu vaccination? Did they all built a strong immunity system against any cold or flu?🤔

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

LIG, I am impressed too about THREE shutouts in a row (3:0; 3:0; 6:0) for our young Finnish goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen. Definitely Iowa Wild team having a great chance to get and be successful in a playoffs run. So far we have an impressive results for our team there - 1st in AHL Central.  

Big OT win in Chicago tonight, Kahkonen didn't play.  The team has good speed and scoring depth.  

2 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Big OT win in Chicago tonight, Kahkonen didn't play.  The team has good speed and scoring depth.  

Agree LIG. It was a big win for us. My evening finished on a positive note, because Iowa Wild team continues to hold the 1st place in Central Division. I listened on a radio that late game against Chicago Wolves , which we won in OT with a score 4:3. Sokolov had his 3rd goal and Gerry Fitzgerald had his 1st game winning goal in OT. Hammond was a goaltender for the Wild team.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Begin Rant....

Nope.

/Rant

Agree , We did not take seriously the opponent; did not play well all 60 min.game; JP winning goal was a lucky one; but the most important - unfortunately, IllaZilla last night ate Italian food instead of Chinese one. I understand that Italian food is more healthy , but it seems not a lucky one.🙄.

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

LIG, I am impressed too about THREE shutouts in a row (3:0; 3:0; 6:0) for our young Finnish goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen.

Oh, that is impressive. Maybe give him a start with the big boys?

Since Dubnyk is back to his normal mortal self. Soft goals going in every game.

I had that bad feeling starting the 3rd hoping to hang on for at least a point. Terrible to feel that way given the play of the 1st.

Credit to the Sabres for playing patient for the whole 60 minutes and were rewarded. I knew this wasn't going to be an 'easy' one.

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

I had that bad feeling starting the 3rd hoping to hang on for at least a point. Terrible to feel that way given the play of the 1st.

Credit to the Sabres for playing patient for the whole 60 minutes and were rewarded. I knew this wasn't going to be an 'easy' one.

Well I hope we bury the Penguins

On 11/18/2018 at 12:59 AM, Hockey-78 said:

Oh, that is impressive. Maybe give him a start with the big boys?

Since Dubnyk is back to his normal mortal self. Soft goals going in every game.

Keep him in Iowa.  We'll see if he starts to split starts with Hammond.  So far the Hamburglar has the majority of the starts.  Tough to really criticize that since the club is in 1st place.  

11 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Keep him in Iowa.  We'll see if he starts to split starts with Hammond.  So far the Hamburglar has the majority of the starts.  Tough to really criticize that since the club is in 1st place.  

True. On the other hand, how do you not start with a goalie with three SOs in a row? Has not allowed a goal in the last 207 mins in which time 86 saves, a franchise record. And he's a rookie.

Our goalie situation is very interesting since Dubnyk's hot start seems to have cooled down considerably (as we're accustomed to) as of late. Stalock's been good but I don't think he's a goalie the management sees as a #1 goalie in any point, me neither. Hammond seems to have faded from the days in Ottawa when he burst on to the scene...

IMO the least favorable option is to keep giving Dubnyk starts to the point where he's either physically or mentally burn out like we've seen in every spring come the playoffs. Keep him fresh, so...

Form a new goalie tandem for the first time since Fernandez/Roloson.

Archived