Moves Starting?

vis

2 hours ago, brelic said:

If so, I wonder why? 

Injuries lack of bodies for tonight's game.

And it helps him maintain eligibility later without waivers.

Remember there is a roster freeze.

Vorobyev, Bardreau and Kase have been out hurt.

Rubtsov done for the season. Fazleev released (who was the 3rd line center last game).

And they already have robbed Reading of two forwards (Krushelnyski and Huntebrinker) as well as goalie Komm.

They just sign Steven Swavely to a PTO.

This was the starting lineup last game.

10 Carey 25 Bunnaman 16 Aube-Kubel

23 Leier 21 Vecchione 22 Conner

12 Goulbourne 19 Fazleev 24 Twarynski

36 Krushelnyski 27 Huntebrinker 13 McDonald

43 Brennan 37 Friedman

6 Samuelsson 5 Myers

7 Palmquist 44 Willcox

Goalie: 31 Hart (Backup: 33 Komm)

So the bold will be replaced with Lyon and Varone they have 3 games this weekend too.

So we may see Weal inserted out of necessity.

In the ol drowning pool theme...............the bodies have hit the floor....

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, radoran said:

Phantoms have four games in the next eight days including two vs. Hershey and one vs. SWB.

Varone is still the #2 scorer on the roster with four games in hand over the leader who's a point above him.

Phantoms are 2-3 over their last five including a 5-2 loss to the SWB Pens and a 1-0 win over the last in the division Bears.

I think the real question will be does he go on the trip to Florida.

Yeah and due to the roster freeze tonight it had to be done to maintain eligibility.

That and the injuries have decimated the Phantoms on top of them releasing their 3rd line center from his contract.

I responded to brel's comment before scrolling down further before posting or i would have responded to you too all in the same post.

Hey my ADD what ya gonna do..

3 hours ago, vis said:

I hope they are not making decisions about the big club based on success of the AHL.

I've argued against doing it as well, but I don't think this team is "a Varone" away from being highly competitive. Verone can go down and get big scoring line minutes while a Lehterrible or Weal (or whoever) hopefully one of the younger players Gordon is familiar with get more ice time with the big club. Verone can go down without waivers "on loan" and still be recalled with no problems.

ADDING: And, as Occ points out the roster freeze and schedule crunch adds to the need to do it today.

3 hours ago, vis said:

I get it if there was a long layoff between games for the Flyers, but that's not the case.

Doesn't appear that anyone was called up.  Wonder if someone is coming off IR.  Or if a move is in the works.

Something could be in the works. But they did release Fazleev and thus had a center problem in Lehigh.

Lyon gets to work on his game.

No worries.

I have my fingers and toes crossed that there is not a panic move giving up assets and youth for a 30 yr old to try and make a playoff push. They are positioned to get better by getting worse, and making moves to be better than mediocre. This ridiculous notion that this lineup is playoff worthy is nonsense. Get a couple of top 3 draft picks and let the kids grow up together. I am seriously dreading what Fletcher will do next.

20 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

I have my fingers and toes crossed that there is not a panic move giving up assets and youth for a 30 yr old to try and make a playoff push. They are positioned to get better by getting worse, and making moves to be better than mediocre. This ridiculous notion that this lineup is playoff worthy is nonsense. Get a couple of top 3 draft picks and let the kids grow up together. I am seriously dreading what Fletcher will do next.

realistically unless we get rid of giroux and jake, i think this team has chance of getting jack hughes, sadly we dont have a chance and the other thing in the offseason, moves have to be made to improve this team, you just cant sit on this team and expect them to win cups, you have to improve the holes if not, it's the same problems as this year because it's takes time for young players to develop, it's not an overnight thing unless you get jack hughes.

i get that you love young players but what you dont understand is that they take time to develop, that's where it can hurt your team more than help, you need players that can play now and im not talking about 35 and over,  players that can play now around 25-26 years old.

18 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Varone was recalled.  No trades before the Holiday shutdown.

So what was the point of all of that?  Strictly some roster management matters?

2 minutes ago, vis said:

So what was the point of all of that?  Strictly some roster management matters?

I think Fletcher made room for a trade of which never happened.  I guess you could say saved a few cents on the Cap, but it probably was more of a trade that didn't happen.

9 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I think Fletcher made room for a trade of which never happened.  I guess you could say saved a few cents on the Cap, but it probably was more of a trade that didn't happen.

I think you're right. Especially that Varone was in Allentown yesterday and did not play for the Phantoms last night.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think you're right. Especially that Varone was in Allentown yesterday and did not play for the Phantoms last night.

The whole situation is really weird.

Phantoms also won 5-0 over Hershey.

Just now, radoran said:

The whole situation is really weird.

Phantoms also won 5-0 over Hershey.

Completely. We'll probably never know what happened, but if Fletcher showed some restraint because he felt it wasn't a fair deal, all the better. 

Things might have been different if the Flyers had lost another uninspiring game at home on Monday. 

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

It was a paper transaction since there is a roster freeze guys can be recalled but they can't be sent down.

So since he was loaned now if they need him this weekend to play for the Phantoms who have three games scheduled this weekend if they have a injury pop up he can just go down and play.

They just sign Steven Swavely to play in last night's win and it was Misha first game back who had been injured.

And as a side note Connor Bunnaman has blossomed with Varone's call up.

The Bunny man was bump up to the top line center and he has responded by score quite a few goals the last couple games.

So that is good to see.

Asking for a friend...

...would it be worth kicking the tires on Patrik Berglund for a chance at 3rd line center??

He got released from his contract and wouldn't cost anything to try but an offer.

Thoughts??

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 10 Patrik Berglund - 17 Wayne Simmonds
23 Oskar Lindblom - 44 Phil Varone - 12 Michael Raffl

I like this lineup i say give them a Swede forward for good luck...

....he brings some decent skillset to the lineup plus some added size at 6-4 215.

58% in his face offs this year too 55.1 % last year too.

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Asking for a friend...

...would it be worth kicking the tires on Patrik Berglund for a chance at 3rd line center??

He got released from his contract and wouldn't cost anything to try but an offer.

Thoughts??

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 10 Patrik Berglund - 17 Wayne Simmonds
23 Oskar Lindblom - 44 Phil Varone - 12 Michael Raffl

I like this lineup i say give them a Swede forward for good luck...

....he brings some decent skillset to the lineup plus some added size at 6-4 215.

58% in his face offs this year too 55.1 % last year too.

Hell no... there is something amiss with Bergland.  There were issues with him and the Blues last year.  Now gets shipped to the Sabres and has a mystery illness and is not showing up to the rink.  Now suspended without pay....   

We don't need another clown for this circus.... maybe he just wants to get out? Go to Europe.... even so he is walking away from a lot of $$

28 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Hell no... there is something amiss with Bergland.  There were issues with him and the Blues last year.  Now gets shipped to the Sabres and has a mystery illness and is not showing up to the rink.  Now suspended without pay....   

We don't need another clown for this circus.... maybe he just wants to get out? Go to Europe.... even so he is walking away from a lot of $$

It is because he didn't want to go play for the Sabres before being traded there. They took advantage to him not submitting his no trade list before the moved him and it pissed him off which i could see.

I will take a Flyer on him no pun intended...

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

Interesting...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

They took advantage to him not submitting his no trade list before the moved him and it pissed him off which i could see.

The Sabres didn't take advantage of him. The Blues did. I'll wager the Blues never said a damn thing about it before they traded him, too...

The only reason he seemed to bail on the Sabres is he wasn't getting the playing time he wanted and then was a healthy scratch (perhaps because he was complaining about playing time?).

My initial reaction to the release was "hmmm, let's kick the tires" and I'm not entirely off that - just a little more reticent.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

The Sabres didn't take advantage of him. The Blues did. I'll wager the Blues never said a damn thing about it before they traded him, too...

The only reason he seemed to bail on the Sabres is he wasn't getting the playing time he wanted and then was a healthy scratch (perhaps because he was complaining about playing time?).

My initial reaction to the release was "hmmm, let's kick the tires" and I'm not entirely off that - just a little more reticent.

Sure kick the tires is what I'm saying they have money to burn and it just requires a contract I would love just to sign him for the rest of the year.

And that might not fly with him.

He may want to go back home.

Doesn't hurt to reach out to him.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Oh and I forgot...he also might not want any part of the hot mess the Flyers have become...

Archived