Wild vs. Les Habitants 12/11/18 @ 7:00PM CST at the X

CreaseAndAssist

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five Goal 2nd period Lifts Wild to 7-1 rout of Montreal

It wasn't always the prettiest stops, but he came up with the saves that helped give the team time to get that 1st goal.  Then they started to feel more confident and the power play blew the Canadiens out.  Coyle looked relaxed and like a player who sees perhaps an opportunity to gain a new lease on life.  That certainly will attract some more interest.  But for the here and now, it helped the Wild quite a bit.  Full game recap, an Iowa Wild report and a ton of prospect updates too.  Check it out!  

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Did he really fail? The Vikings were doing alright up until Zimmer started calling for more of a running game. 

They had a WR tie an NFL record for 100 yard games, his counterpart right up there... The passing game was storming while the running game couldn't even manage 2.5 yards per carry... And the head coach calls for more of a running game? That's mornic (and up until 4 weeks ago I loved Zimmer as head coach. Since then I've wondered if he's out of his mind.

Trust me, before the Vikings hired Defilippo as OC his name was being mentioned by other teams.

Here's the metaphor: The Vikings in effect bought a 1969 Chevelle(Cousins--a stretch I know) that ran 13's in the quarter mile and hired a 16 year-old girl with a learners permit(Defilippo) to drive it.

6 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Here's the metaphor: The Vikings in effect bought a 1969 Chevelle(Cousins--a stretch I know) that ran 13's in the quarter mile and hired a 16 year-old girl with a learners permit(Defilippo) to drive it.

Cousins has 1 win and 27 losses against teams with a winning record. 0-7 on Monday night games.

I don't hang this on Defilippo when he's told to run more, does run more behind a futile offensive line getting pushed all over the place.

The Vikings had a young QB who every player got behind and was leading the team well. He was winning games people didn't think he would win, against good teams. When a team lands on a player like that you don't change what doesn't need fixing.

3 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Cousins has 1 win and 27 losses against teams with a winning record. 0-7 on Monday night games.

I don't hang this on Defilippo when he's told to run more, does run more behind a futile offensive line getting pushed all over the place.

The Vikings had a young QB who every player got behind and was leading the team well. He was winning games people didn't think he would win, against good teams. When a team lands on a player like that you don't change what doesn't need fixing.

Good points, but Defillippo still sucks as an offensive coordinator--he had zero experience coming in--he was a QB coach.

Most of the responsibility, however, weather you're talking Cousins, Defillippo, addressing the Offensive line issues or all three, should be placed squarely on the shoulders of Spielman and Zimmer--not sure how much influence Zimmer had on these decisions--I think quite a bit. Spielman has made some good decisions for the Vikes, but he has also made some decisions so bad that they have affected this team for years at a time. Quarterback is the prime example. But Cousins is better than Keenum or Teddy B. 

Rant over.

25 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Good points, but Defillippo still sucks as an offensive coordinator--he had zero experience coming in--he was a QB coach.

Most of the responsibility, however, weather you're talking Cousins, Defillippo, addressing the Offensive line issues or all three, should be placed squarely on the shoulders of Spielman and Zimmer--not sure how much influence Zimmer had on these decisions--I think quite a bit. Spielman has made some good decisions for the Vikes, but he has also made some decisions so bad that they have affected this team for years at a time. Quarterback is the prime example. But Cousins is better than Keenum or Teddy B. 

Rant over.

Happy as hell to see that score.  I am delighted they put an arse whipping on Montreal who I detest.

Et boum, 7 à 1. C'est ça, une branlée !

Always nice to crush the Habs'. 8-game winning streak extended against them, outscoring Montréal 17-2 in the last 3 games.

Pretty much agree with @CreaseAndAssist. The Wild came really strong and Montréal was happy going back to the locker room after the 1st period trailing only by 1 goal. Tough moments in the first half of the second period, but Dubnyk made the stops he had to make, tough they were not really big saves I would say.

After that, Weber sent to the penalty box (totally undeserved penalty according to Claude Julien in his presser... What's their motto again in Montréal? Ha yes: "Pas d'excuses" (No excuses). Ugh.), and then a stupid penalty taken by Shaw, and that was the dagger.

The 4th line did also great, managing to spend most of the time in the offensive zone with discipline.

The Habs looked really tired, with no energy. They spend one third of the time playing in PK in Chicago, some players posting PK time close to 8-9 minutes. That's huge and could have affected them.

I don't understand why they put Price to replace Niemi. Sorry, I reformulate: I don't understand why Price decided to take Niemi place with like 8 minutes remaining. They said not to embarrass Niemi more. But when Montoya allowed 10 goals when Montréal lost 10-0 in Columbus, strangely, Price didn't want to go to the rink...

Finally about Dubnyk: I'm not fully comfortable with him after the game. He made some good saves, but also allowed bad rebounds in front of him. His body language was not perfect, he seemed not so confident. And the goal scored by the Canadiens was not deflected and Dubnyk not shielded. I know, I'm complaining a bit with the mouth full of caviar and as the Habs' were totally absent, it's hard to draw more conclusions. At least, he got the win which is good to build from.

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Finally about Dubnyk: I'm not fully comfortable with him after the game. He made some good saves, but also allowed bad rebounds in front of him. His body language was not perfect, he seemed not so confident. And the goal scored by the Canadiens was not deflected and Dubnyk not shielded. I know, I'm complaining a bit with the mouth full of caviar and as the Habs' were totally absent, it's hard to draw more conclusions. At least, he got the win which is good to build from.

Respectfully,  I think he was a lot better than your comments. He wasn't flopping around and seemed much calmer (too me). 

Like him or not, I feel his play during the Habs push to start the 2nd was the catalyst to us taking over.

I was a little concerned at our start with those 'great' chances. A bit of Tic-tac-DOH...wide, wide, muffed. :P

But they didn't let that affect them. This game had pretty much everything and those who really needed a goal got one.

4 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Respectfully,  I think he was a lot better than your comments. He wasn't flopping around and seemed much calmer (too me). 

Like him or not, I feel his play during the Habs push to start the 2nd was the catalyst to us taking over.

I was a little concerned at our start with those 'great' chances. A bit of Tic-tac-DOH...wide, wide, muffed. :P

But they didn't let that affect them. This game had pretty much everything and those who really needed a goal got one.

It was an excellent game!!! I was impressed of the 4 PP goals. Wish to see that team's effort as well as a high scoring result every game , same way as Tampa doing practically every time at least 3 seasons in a row. All lines were pretty strong. Maybe Seeler needs to take some boxing lessons? 🤔That is attracting fans a lot to the big club. Because some fans when they see a depressive results from the main team started already to look for some other attractions. For example, some our employees with their families(they are also a huge Wild fans and now Iowa Wild) are planning to fly to Arizona and watch Iowa Wild games there against Tucson Roadrunners next spring , because of an outstanding team's results for this season.  

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, sweetshot said:

I'd flip that around.    You try and buy a fast car and get name and a guy who plays like a 16 yr old under pressure.

Signing Fehr was like buying a full size pick-up that's getting a little old but still running good.

On 12/11/2018 at 10:19 PM, sweetshot said:

Glad you added that part. A little bile started climbing north when I read that. I'd put Cousins in the Ricer group before muscle. :P 

The Vikings are 3rd on my list of interest but it puzzles me that now with the changes I heard they want to get to the running game style that Zimmer 'prefers' when they have 2 of the top receivers Thielan and Diggs in the game. That also makes me think Zimmer doesn't have faith in his own QB.

Glad you added that part. A little bile started climbing north when I read that. I'd put Cousins in the Ricer group before muscle. :P 

The Vikings are 3rd on my list of interest but it puzzles me that now with the changes I heard they want to get to the running game style that Zimmer 'prefers' when they have 2 of the top receivers Thielan and Diggs in the game. That also makes me think Zimmer doesn't have faith in his own QB.

I really liked Zimmer at first--not so sure anymore. I think he should defer most offensive play calling/decisions to an experienced coordinator. It's not his strong suit.

He has a wierd way of handling QB's as well.

He seemed to be ok with Bridgewater(I wasn't), and yet even as much success Keenum showed last year, Zimmer almost came right out and said he wasn't sure about him. Never gave him that vote of confidence a QB needs.

You're right about Cousins, though. I should have said we "thought" we were getting a 69 Chevelle. Having said that, I still thought an upgrade at QB(Cousins) was a good move, but it remains to be seen if he is the kind of upgrade the Vikes were looking for with an $84M price tag. It's not looking good.

Note to all NFL teams: Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer made it very clear 4 weeks ago he wanted to run the ball more.

Hold on for the Duhhh pause there.

NFL Defenses: Are... You... Ready... ? Gee - ya think ?!?

^ That right there along with 3 obvious red flag attempts when he shouldn't have - and three red flag opportunities he passed on; made me shake my head and wonder a lot more about Mike Zimmer's overall coaching ability (which kills me to think like that about him!) But we need to.

6 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

@sweetshot I agree 100% with most of what you said, except I felt with Keenan 'if it's not broke don't fix it' should have been a ringing vote of confidence. Just imagine if they had that kind of money to spend elsewhere. A couple proven linesmen IMO.

That's another minus in the Spielman/Zimmer column I think. How can you not address the O-line issues more during the off season--they did take one guy(O'brien) in the draft but he got hurt--imagine that. The least they should have done is get a couple more bodies into camp--get them off the street if you have to--sign them if possible-- I think the Wilfs have shown they'll spend whatever it takes up to this point but their faith in Spielman/Zimmers personnel decisions is definitely being tested.

I think if they let Spielman make one more decision QB related I'll(gulp) become a Packers fan.

Archived