Niederreiter Traded For Victor Rask

bbgarnett

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am getting more interest now to Carolina team because of the Nino's trade. I'd like to see if the team will improve their standings after. They did not make the playoffs since 2009-2010 season (9 years already), even by rebuilding the team, even by getting few good prospects, and even by replacing few coaches during that time. 

6 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I am getting more interest now to Carolina team because of the Nino's trade. I'd like to see if the team will improve their standings after. They did not make the playoffs since 2009-2010 season (9 years already), even by rebuilding the team, even by getting few good prospects, and even by replacing few coaches during that time. 

Carolina's got two guys over 30 (Cap'n JDub and their backup goalie). For that matter, they've got just eight more guys over 25.

They've got a solid foundation upon which to build. They need someone in net (hello, Darling) and need to lock up Aho.

They shouldn't at all be thinking "rebuild" - they should be building on what they've got.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Did Nino set a franchise record for the Canes? -6 against the Jets. Ouch!

Not only us , but our possible contender in Stanley Sup finals this season – Hurricanes(:thinking:) , did not perform well last night either on International Women's Day . They lost 1:8 against Jets. That was a huge ouch not only for Nino and for the entire Carolina team. He did not beat there yet his record for this season when he played for the Wild and had +/- -11.

Carolina is now playing against Nashville. After 1st period score is 2:0 for Carolina. Nino put both goals.

6 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Did Nino set a franchise record for the Canes? -6 against the Jets. Ouch!

I don't know, but he had been back to 0 from -11 with the Wild.  He also has the only two goals in the first period for the Canes tonight.  This gives him 11 in 20 some games and 10 assists; which the Wild could have used (versus 1G and 1A for Rask and IR) or in place of Potus F-Berg.  This trade is a TOTAL LOSS, no matter how you gauge it.

19 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I still would prefer to see Nino instead of Rask for the Wild team. I am sure that with Rask Carolina will not be on a playoffs race like they are doing now with Nino.

Agreed.  11G 10A and +7 in 22 games is a pace that none of Wild's forwards have in the same time period.  Perhaps the Canes have a much better team, or perhaps we should have used 22 better with consistent linemates and more ice time.  He is up at 18-20 minutes with Canes, and has been on the ice in OT - something the Wild never allowed.  This trade sucked from any perspective.

56 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

Agreed.  11G 10A and +7 in 22 games is a pace that none of Wild's forwards have in the same time period.  Perhaps the Canes have a much better team, or perhaps we should have used 22 better with consistent linemates and more ice time.  He is up at 18-20 minutes with Canes, and has been on the ice in OT - something the Wild never allowed.  This trade sucked from any perspective.

Nino did well with Minnesota when, once upon a time, the Wild played a more north-south game, attacked with speed and took shots more often, backchecked like the dickens to cover mistakes, but always looked to transition to offense.

The team suffered sometimes because bigger teams would take advantage of the smaller faster Wild players in corners and along the boards, and Minnesota decided to get bigger players....then soon found out it sacrificed what they did best: blaze the heck out of the ice with fast transition offense. The team not only brought in bigger, but slower players, but their philosophy seemed to change to a more stationary, pass happy plan of attack.

Nino, and by extension, Charlie Coyle (although he has been non existent in Boston so far), just don't do well under such conditions.

Nino needs to be "the slow guy" on a fast team...NOT the big guy with a little speed, if that makes any sense. It seems to keep him engaged to know that he BETTER keep up with his linemates or else....
In Carolina, in addition to the up tempo style they play (sigh...like Minnesota used to), like you said, probably better usage and more consistent linemates, is helping him....and he is thriving once again.

Funny thing is, after the strange trades the Wild made, they seem to be BACK to that small, fast attack transition attack style they did so well before....and are being successful with it!

Sometimes, this game of hockey (and what goes on between the ears of any given player) is really tough to figure out!

I honestly, am glad for Nino. 
I wouldn't root against the Wild playing the Canes under any circumstance, but I wished Nino personal success when was first traded, and I stand by that.
All about fit, mental readiness, consistency, and style of play. Nino seems to have found all that (or rather, REDISCOVERED that) in Carolina, where he couldn't find it to save his life with the plodding Wild when he was still here.

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Funny thing is, after the strange trades the Wild made, they seem to be BACK to that small, fast attack transition attack style they did so well before....and are being successful with it!

Sometimes, this game of hockey (and what goes on between the ears of any given player) is really tough to figure out!

I wouldn't root against the Wild playing the Canes under any circumstance, but I wished Nino personal success when was first traded, and I stand by that.
All about fit, mental readiness, consistency, and style of play. Nino seems to have found all that (or rather, REDISCOVERED that) in Carolina, where he couldn't find it to save his life with the plodding Wild when he was still here.

I am glad also for Nino , but still would prefer to see him here instead of Rask. He was second in the team for years after the Parise in production despite of playing less time. Sincerely, I am fine with Coyle and Granlund’s trades. We have got for them much speedier, younger and creative players – Donato and Fiala. Both have a nice potential for the team’s improvement and both developed an interest for me to watch the team , which I gradually started to lose after such a weak team’s performance in about last 2 months. We definitely need their courage as well as their energy and production. Hope, they will be able to find sooner the best line mates for a consistent chemistry. And they also have a real chance to show for the team as well as for the fans in 3-4 years their significant role as a most steady performers by producing more than 20-25 goals per season. If not then they will be replaced sooner or later too, because it is a tough business. So far we have 3 steady scorers – Parise, Zucker , Staal, but it is not enough and we definitely need more for a modern level of hockey. My other advise for them(Donato and Fiala) if they want to stay here longer – besides a consistent production and a hard work they should build a strong nice communication/relation with our coach Bruce Boudreau and a General Manager Paul Fenton. A good relations in sports are very important too. 

15 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Andy Ness has been working with Rask on skating. Hopefully he strides rather that chops now.

Come to think of it, shouldn't the Timberwolves, who I believe once had a shooting coach, add a dribbling coach...?

On 3/10/2019 at 6:55 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Nino did well with Minnesota when, once upon a time, the Wild played a more north-south game, attacked with speed and took shots more often, backchecked like the dickens to cover mistakes, but always looked to transition to offense.

The team suffered sometimes because bigger teams would take advantage of the smaller faster Wild players in corners and along the boards, and Minnesota decided to get bigger players....then soon found out it sacrificed what they did best: blaze the heck out of the ice with fast transition offense. The team not only brought in bigger, but slower players, but their philosophy seemed to change to a more stationary, pass happy plan of attack.

Nino, and by extension, Charlie Coyle (although he has been non existent in Boston so far), just don't do well under such conditions.

Nino needs to be "the slow guy" on a fast team...NOT the big guy with a little speed, if that makes any sense. It seems to keep him engaged to know that he BETTER keep up with his linemates or else....
In Carolina, in addition to the up tempo style they play (sigh...like Minnesota used to), like you said, probably better usage and more consistent linemates, is helping him....and he is thriving once again.

I understand what you are saying.  However, what in the he77 does Rask bring to the team?!?  He is even slower, less skilled, hits no one, cannot skate, and earns zero playing time.  Plus, he costs $4MM per, and has 3 years left.  We won't be able to give him away.....He has an Ennis type contract to dump...for some tape

10 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

I understand what you are saying.  However, what in the he77 does Rask bring to the team?!?  He is even slower, less skilled, hits no one, cannot skate, and earns zero playing time.  Plus, he costs $4MM per, and has 3 years left.  We won't be able to give him away.....He has an Ennis type contract to dump...for some tape

I won't argue with you on Rask.
So far, he HAS been a dud.

But I think that was the idea behind this trade.... trade one struggling player for another, both making similar dollars, and hope both find themselves again with a new team.
Obviously, Minnesota ended up on the short end of the deal so far on this.

Is it possible that with a complete training camp with the Wild under his belt, being healthy, and fully understanding what the coaches on the Wild want from him will help him starting next season? Sure. He did, after all, show flashes of production when he was able to stay healthy with the Canes.
But I can completely understand fans not seeing any sort of value here.... Rask has NOT made it easy at all to accept him being on the team.

Watching rask play and seeing the lack of game that he has is easy.

Very similar to watching hanzal and white a few years ago.

Sorry he just doesn't have it, probably never will.

6 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Watching rask play and seeing the lack of game that he has is easy.

Very similar to watching hanzal and white a few years ago.

Sorry he just doesn't have it, probably never will.

He fits right in with the lack of energy and motivation, however, which should make him a favorite of Suter...and the Country Club.  He sure won't 'show anybody up' with fancy goals or stats, either.

Archived