Jagr was brutal again

Guest terp

Maybe his groin is bothering him but he looks like the slowest player in the league right now and he's a turnover machine.

Speaking of turnovers, he had a funny comment after the Sens game, words to the effect that if he turns over the puck late in the game with the Flyers leading by 2, the defenseman needs to be there to bail him out. I understand his point but...don't turn over the puck then.

i was afraid that the mid point of the season is when we start to see him wear down. he's played lights out up till now but i remember last year when the old vets stopped playing so great cause they where getting tired.

What's the point on playing a 39yo with chronic groin problems "with injury"?

My 1961 Ferrari 250 GT looks great, but the engine knocks horribly and it pulls to the left while driving.

Better keep it on the road, though, wouldn't want people to think it was "soft."

He was slow from day one, the difference was that he had the strength to stay on the puck and win board battles. With his F**ked up groin, he can't do that. He is also turning the puck over too much. Though so is Giroux. Definitely should rest Jagr.

@radoran -jagr is a 40 year old future hall of famer still playing productive hockey at the sports highest level with a sore groin. give the guy a break. sure, he hasn't been himself, but 'brutal ' is a little too much.

I never called him "brutal" and disagree with the terminology.

My point is that if you have a high performing player who is aging with a chronic injury you let the injury heal significantly before you put him back on the ice. They gain nothing by putting him back out there in this condition. It will not improve the groin, his play suffers and the chance of seriously reinjuring or aggravating is raised considerably.

sure, he hasn't been himself, but 'brutal ' is a little too much.

My terminology and with all due respect to him and you...he was, indeed, brutal. If JvR had half as many turnovers, he'd be getting hell on this board. Jagr's HOF and still capable of playing at an elite level, but he's not very good right now.

My terminology and with all due respect to him and you...he was, indeed, brutal. If JvR had half as many turnovers, he'd be getting hell on this board. Jagr's HOF and still capable of playing at an elite level, but he's not very good right now.

In the respect that he shouldn't be on the ice playing professional hockey at this stage of his recovery from injury, yes.* I think the results speak for themselves.

They could have gotten 0-0-0 -1 in the past two games from any number of people, with probably less turnovers and certainly less risk of reaggravating the chronic injury.

In fairness, in December he was 6-8-14 +7 in 13 games. And you have to admire a player - especially at this stage of his career - wanting to be out there on the ice contributing. But you also have to be able to hold them back for their good and the overall good of the team.

We need Jagr in March and April much more than we need him for two weeks in January.

* I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on television.

Jagr looks like his groin is still bothering him (Islanders game), not sure why they are letting/making him play through it in January. I saw him on the Philly feed trying to massage/loosen up his muscles on the bench. Camera had him dead center and zoomed in.

Jagr looks like his groin is still bothering him (Islanders game), not sure why they are letting/making him play through it in January. I saw him on the Philly feed trying to massage/loosen up his muscles on the bench. Camera had him dead center and zoomed in.

I saw that... looked like he was being fresh with himself but yeah, I saw that. point still stands, while the playoffs could be made or missed in January, you don't win a cup in January...

I saw that... looked like he was being fresh with himself but yeah, I saw that. point still stands, while the playoffs could be made or missed in January, you don't win a cup in January...

I saw it too. I would rather see him not playing at this point.

I agree that they should shut him down until he feels better. Do you think management is pushing him out there or is he pushing himself to go out and play through the injury?

I think he's pushing himself and management is going with the "if the player says he feels good what are we supposed to do?" attitude.

Which, as we all know, has served us so freaking well...

He did sit in favor of Vorace for the last third or so of the 3rd period, so maybe Laviolette will sit him for a few games. I do imagine it's hard to tell a HOFer that he needs to sit, but that's one thing the coach has to be able to do.

@radoran -the thing with jagr is that even though he looks a step behind and probably needs a rest, who else makes that pass to hartnell through the defenders legs on the first goal ? my point is he can still do some things out there that otherwise healthy younger guys just simply can't . at this point in his career with what he's acccomplished i think he deserves the respect to trust him if he feels he can still be effective out there. it's not like he's kris versteeg last year out there making turnovers an missing assignments every shift while healthy.