Flyers recall Gus; send Walker to Phantoms

Guest brelic

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Gus-back-with-Flyers-Suter-in-plans.html

Will the Flyers make a move before the Feb. 27 trade deadline?

It may hinge on how well defenseman Erik Gustafsson plays.

Gustafsson was recalled from Adirondack on Wednesday as the Flyers sent little-used Matt Walker to the Phantoms.

Gustafsson, 22, who played well in a breif stint with the Flyers before suffering a wrist injury that required surgery, is expected to replace Andreas Lilja.

After giving Gustafsson a look-see, the Flyers will probably decide whether to pursue someone like talented Nashville defenseman Ryan Suter, 26, who could become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

The Flyers would probably have to deal one of their promising young forwards and some high draft picks to get Suter. Is that too much for a rent-a-player?

Then again, Suter is negotiating with the Predators, so there's a chance he signs a long-term deal with Nashville and is taken off the market.

The Flyers have $3.5 million in cap space.

I hope Gus proves a trade is not not required.

Couturier will not be traded. Can't see it.

I think the 2012 Draft looks very deep on D so maybe moving up would make sense, depending on who is available. Take the best D-man we can. Take another one with LA's 2nd and/or FLA's 2nd (condtional, so *if* we get it). We traded our 2nd. We have 2 3rds (SJ's pick, via FLA form the Versteeg trade)

EDIT: nice to have a few picks that we can trade around to maybe move up into the top 10....

Edited by Podein25

So you're saying you're "tipsy"? I can see that.

I have fond memories of Foster Brooks. . . as long as there is no drinking and driving.

As for a trade...I could see Homer letting one of our current D-men go as salary dump; he might take a pick. The forwards are a good crew. He might want to preserve them.

Peace,

Howie

I have fond memories of Foster Brooks. . . as long as there is no drinking and driving.

As for a trade...I could see Homer letting one of our current D-men go as salary dump; he might take a pick. The forwards are a good crew. He might want to preserve them.

Peace,

Howie

The problem with trading one of our d-men for a salary dump is that the ones who are making decent money are too good to dump without seriously hurting the team. If anyone wanted Walker they could have claimed him off waivers.

The problem with trading one of our d-men for a salary dump is that the ones who are making decent money are too good to dump without seriously hurting the team. If anyone wanted Walker they could have claimed him off waivers.

Jack: If Pronger is through, we might find ourselves going for a Suter type..but I may be senile. Seriously, Homer is Homer and this Schenn thing may be a smokescreen.

Meanwhile, Bobo is playing well tonight.

Peace,

Howie

Jack: If Pronger is through, we might find ourselves going for a Suter type..but I may be senile. Seriously, Homer is Homer and this Schenn thing may be a smokescreen.

Meanwhile, Bobo is playing well tonight.

Peace,

Howie

Bob stole the game tonight. Can't see how he doesn't get the next start too.

Question: How does a coach (Peter Laviolette) do his job (putting best team on the ice) without making his boss (Ed Snider) look like a fool?

I say forget Snider's image, at this point it's cemented where it is anyway so who cares about a wrong decision or two..

FLA's 2nd (condtional, so *if* we get it).

I wonder what the condition was for Floridas 2nd rounder for 2012 v. 2013? I am hoping it is a if he produces X or plays X games we get choice.

The only pisser is that Florida is doing very well this year, so as it stands now, we would have the 47th (LA), 49th (Fla) and 55th (our own) picks for second round. I would love to be able to package those to get another 1st round pick.

On the other hand, the draft is deep and very talented, so it could be good to keep all those picks and restock the cupboards.

Current mock 2012 draft has Flyers taking Nick Ebert (Jersey boy and plays for the Spits- isn't that Jammers team?):

Nick Ebert Profile

Nick%20Ebert.jpgPosition: D

Team: Windsor (OHL)

Nick Ebert's Player Profile

Originally from Livingston, New Jersey, Nick Ebert has taken his game to a whole new level in the last few years. Ebert was playing in the USHL with the Waterloo Black Hawks at the age of 15, a remarkable feat, and now he's taken his talents north to the OHL, playing his first season with the Windsor Spitfires in 2010-2011. He was lighting up the New Jersey high school circuit just a couple of years ago, once scoring two shorthanded goals on the same penalty-kill. Now that he's playing at a higher level in the OHL, Ebert is still getting better every game. During the 2010-2011 season, Ebert put up 41 points in 64 games while scoring 11 times. Some of Ebert's current hockey idols include Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson of the Los Angeles Kings, and one of his all-time favourites is former Devil, Scott Stevens. Scouts believe that Ebert can be a similar player to Johnson, maybe even a bit better. For now Ebert looks to build on his game, get stronger, and hopefully hear his name called early in the 2012 NHL draft.

Submitted by: David O'Connor

Would you like to write a player profile for any prospect that may be entering the 2012 NHL draft? Email profiles of any player (even players not on our list) to our Webmaster. Credit will be given to the author of the profile.

Regular Season Playoffs Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM 2009-10 Waterloo Black Hawks USHL 53 6 12 18 26 3 1 0 1 0 2010-11 Windsor Spitfires OHL 64 11 30 41 44 18 1 2 3 6 2011-12 Windsor Spitfires OHL 42 2 17 19 31

I wonder what the condition was for Floridas 2nd rounder for 2012 v. 2013? I am hoping it is a if he produces X or plays X games we get choice.

The only pisser is that Florida is doing very well this year, so as it stands now, we would have the 47th (LA), 49th (Fla) and 55th (our own) picks for second round. I would love to be able to package those to get another 1st round pick.

On the other hand, the draft is deep and very talented, so it could be good to keep all those picks and restock the cupboards.

Current mock 2012 draft has Flyers taking Nick Ebert (Jersey boy and plays for the Spits- isn't that Jammers team?):

The only condition on the FLA pick is that it's their choice. Given their record this year, I would think they will be giving us that June 2012 pick.

I like the idea of trading two of the 2nds for another first. Getting inside the top #20 should give you a shot at some very good D-men. It tails off a bit after that.

I'm not as high on Ebert as I once, was but it's all superficial. Jammer is in the best position to comment on Ebert.