Game 7: Knights at Flyers; 10/21/19 @ 7

Howie58

27 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'd say it's very possible. I'm also not very surprised by it. This is especially true in the goal department, where we really don't have a top flight goal scorer on the roster right now.

In pts yeah, but none of those guys are real goal scorers (maybe Couts, but his goals are usually net front goals rather than shots). TK certainly has a better shot than any of those three. They do other things well, but they're not snipers by any stretch. I can definitely see TK especially leading this team in goals in this year.

Voracek doesn't belong in any conversation related to scoring goals. I'm pretty sure he grew up shooting into a soccer net.

I guess I'd ask what your definition of a "sniper" is? 

That goal from TK last night, I'd say was a snipe. Same as his backhanded top shelf goal against... the Hawks I think? Then he had a goal coming down the side with speed and just sniped it in the far corner.

He looks like he will hit 30 this year easily, and I'd definitely call him a sniper. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah Giroux, Coots and Jake have all been the leaders for the last several years...sure we thought TK could maybe get there and maybe now he has but it's only 7 games in.

Last year KNX was third on the team in goals with 24 - ahead of Giroux (22) and Voracek (20). He was also third the year before that (24) - Voracek (20) was 5th. Last time Voracek was top three was 16-17 with, again, 20 goals.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

In pts yeah, but none of those guys are real goal scorers

Sure but when is the last time the Flyers have had a true goal scorer??? Simon Gagne?

I a happy the torch is getting passed. It's time...and there hopefully will be more that will push G and Jake down the lineup and in Jake's case eventually out the door.

TK certainly has a better shot than any of those three

I agree. I think Farabee will be a very nice sniper once he has settled in and has found some linemates to work with.

Voracek doesn't belong in any conversation related to scoring goals. here anymore find a trade partner

Sorry but it's time to start clearing out space for the kid and i nominate Jake. Now i don't want to give him away but a nice return so be viable.

58 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hard to believe TK has more points than Giroux, Voracek, JVR, and Ghost COMBINED.

It gives me hope that this can be a team who will be a threat if they can ever get all those guys finding the net....and by that i don't mean the post looks like they got that part down already.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree. I think Farabee will be a very nice sniper once he has settled in and has found some linemates to work with.

Man, there was a point last night where a Flyer went to the board to retrieve the puck and a Vegas player was bearing down on him, and my thought was "who's the little kid with a Flyers jersey?" and it was Farabee.

He is positively tiny. Chicken legs. That guy could have plastered Farabee... but thankfully he didn;t.

Dude needs to put on some serious weight.

32 minutes ago, brelic said:

He will once he gets into a pro workout schedule and by the time he turns 20 his body will start to add more muscle to his frame.

He is already up to 180 and well his Captain is only 5 pounds heavier than him but he will also have to learn as best he can to avoid contact by no shying away from it but know how to brace himself for impact...but as we have seen guys can be 6-3 220 and with the right or more like the wrong hit to the dome be out for a while....see Eric Lindros Jeremy Roenick for examples.

The weight will come in time i didn't start packing on some solid muscle till i got out of bootcamp and with my command and i was the same age...so know telling how big he will end up. I think he tops out at 6-1 or 6-2 and around 200-205. Which is ore than enough.

Someone needs to start feeding hm the steak and cheeses for lunch every day....and hit the weights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I guess I'd ask what your definition of a "sniper" is? 

That goal from TK last night, I'd say was a snipe. Same as his backhanded top shelf goal against... the Hawks I think? Then he had a goal coming down the side with speed and just sniped it in the far corner.

He looks like he will hit 30 this year easily, and I'd definitely call him a sniper. 

Yeah, I didn't mean TK. I meant Giroux, Couts, and Jake from the earlier post. TK I do think has the makings of a true sniper. He always has in fact, which is why I don't think we should be surprised if he ends the season with the team lead in goals. 

Couts may give him a run, but most of Couts goals are in tight deflections and jams, so it's a bit different. TK I think can legit pop a corner on a whim if needed, which isn't something we can really say of many others on the team right now.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

I have to think the Flyers will go to Elliott vs the Blackhawks but i would understand AV going back to Hart to show he hasn't lost confidence in him.

Hell even Binnington has looked average this year so far. So maybe they try Hart back in the crease. But they might stay with the hot hand.

Guess it's his call after he gets a look at them in practice i can see it going either way.

He has preached not to panic and said he wants to show his players he has faith in them and well the goalie shouldn't be any different i certainly do want to damage his psyche. 

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He will once he gets into a pro workout schedule and by the time he turns 20 his body will start to add more muscle to his frame.

He is already up to 180 and well his Captain is only 5 pounds heavier than him but he will also have to learn as best he can to avoid contact by no shying away from it but know how to brace himself for impact...but as we have seen guys can be 6-3 220 and with the right or more like the wrong hit to the dome be out for a while....see Eric Lindros Jeremy Roenick for examples.

The weight will come in time i didn't start packing on some solid muscle till i got out of bootcamp and with my command and i was the same age...so know telling how big he will end up. I think he tops out at 6-1 or 6-2 and around 200-205. Which is ore than enough.

Someone needs to start feeding hm the steak and cheeses for lunch every day....and hit the weights.

Oh, I know he'll get bigger and steadier as time goes on... it was just an observation from last night. He really did look puny.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have to think the Flyers will go to Elliott vs the Blackhawks but i would understand AV going back to Hart to show he hasn't lost confidence in him.

Hell even Binnington has looked average this year so far. So maybe they try Hart back in the crease. But they might stay with the hot hand.

Guess it's his call after he gets a look at them in practice i can see it going either way.

He has preached not to panic and said he wants to show his players he has faith in them and well the goalie shouldn't be any different i certainly do want to damage his psyche. 

I'd go with Elliott against the Hawks , and then go with Hart against the Blue Jackets on Sat. Elliott has earned another start.

Edited by brelic

26 minutes ago, brelic said:

Oh, I know he'll get bigger and steadier as time goes on... it was just an observation from last night. He really did look puny.

But he needs to keep his head on a swivel in the meantime....i would hate for him to get Nolan Patricked!!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'd go with Elliott against the Hawks , and then go with Hart against the Blue Jackets on Sat. Elliott has earned another start.

Off topic but i found this interesting especially since it wasn't Eklund...

@TSN1040
LISTEN
@TSNBobMcKenzie
: Hearing some low trade rumblings around Troy Stecher; on Leafs, Wild, Flyers

...a right hand shot under contract at 2.2 mill. Flyers are already stacked on the blueline but for say Hagg i'd listen.

I could see the Wild being more on this....if even true.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Off topic but i found this interesting especially since it wasn't Eklund...

@TSN1040
LISTEN
@TSNBobMcKenzie
: Hearing some low trade rumblings around Troy Stecher; on Leafs, Wild, Flyers

...a right hand shot under contract at 2.2 mill. Flyers are already stacked on the blueline but for say Hagg i'd listen.

I could see the Wild being more on this....if even true.

I wonder what would be going the other way, and why. We already have a logjam on defense... 

• Like 1

Just now, brelic said:

I wonder what would be going the other way, and why. We already have a logjam on defense... 

Good question he is only 25 but not very big 5-11 185. And a right hand shot.

They have Braun, Niskanen and Myers as righties already so not sure who they would be looking to move.

They already have vets like Myers, Edler and Benn. So can figure this is more than anyone on the Canucks side maybe leaking something to generate some interest...i mean all it would take is if they call Chuckles see if he would be interested and then leak it out say for instance to drive the price up for the Wild who could be interested...these GMs are savvy.

I can't see the Flyers being in on this.

Maybe we could find out what other teams want for him, and see if what they are offering is what we would take back if we had Stecher and come up with a trade to Vancouver to get them do a 3 way trade. But right now we have a Team that needs to play the system and not think the system. So we do have a full plate right now.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:26 PM, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

We are underdogs against a hot Vegas club that balances good scoring and sound defense:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/10-21-2019/vegas-golden-knights-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-8062/

The "outshoot but underscore" phenomenon is disturbing and I have to wonder if our first line is truly a first line by NHL standards.  

Farabee and Vorobyev join the parent club.  Maybe an infusion of youth/skill makes a difference. Either way, the O and B Brain Trust must realize the current roster needs rejuvenation:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/joel-farabee-flyers-roster-mikhail-vorobyev-carsen-twarysnki

LGF

There's definitely something going on.  But what I can't really put my finger on.

JVR and G aren't scoring despite taking a ton of shots.  Even when everyone else does.

That's a thing.  

But now AV specifically calls out their line for it in the media... a night after he put them together... without a natural center on the line.

Jake and G are at least helping set up goals, but it's all a bit odd if you ask me.  And no.  I'm not suggesting anything.  I don't know.  It's odd.

I don't buy this "lazy" or "not trying" thing. That doesn't hold any water.  These are historically three of the four top scorers on the team.  For them to be struggling like this is straight up odd.  

The last time it took Giroux this long to score his first goal, he scored 93 points and the Flyers went to the playoffs, so I'm not worried so much as I am just scratching my head.  

Hopefully the special practices help.  Tweaking their games slightly could pay off huge dividends.  

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 10:08 AM, brelic said:

Man, there was a point last night where a Flyer went to the board to retrieve the puck and a Vegas player was bearing down on him, and my thought was "who's the little kid with a Flyers jersey?" and it was Farabee.

He is positively tiny. Chicken legs. That guy could have plastered Farabee... but thankfully he didn;t.

He will.  Frost had an extra between being drafted and making the pros in which he really focused on adding muscle mass.  It's been a pretty quick turnaround for Joel.  If he had gone to Juniors instead of college, we likely wouldn't even be seeing him yet.  

20 hours ago, brelic said:

I'm not worried about the defense at all.  The thing I'm worried about most is getting to see the guys we have but aren't playing like Morin and Myers.  

Honestly, if I were to try to acquire this guy it would simply to have more fodder for the Seattle draft.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I don't buy this "lazy" or "not trying" thing. That doesn't hold any water. 

Sometimes it comes down to one thing....puck luck and right now they don't have any...i can't see it staying that way forever.

The first 10 games of last year.

Giroux 3 goals

Jake 3 goals

JVR 1 goal

So all they need to do is keep plugging away put pucks on net and try to get to the rebounds.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sometimes it comes down to one thing....puck luck and right now they don't have any...i can't see it staying that way forever.

The first 10 games of last year.

Giroux 3 goals

Jake 3 goals

JVR 1 goal

So all they need to do is keep plugging away put pucks on net and try to get to the rebounds.

Sometimes a good coach can eye something.   Like... you're rushing this or if you skate a strike first or drop your shoulder here.... Something to make their opportunities count more.

Once they start it, it starts to move on it's own momentum.  

Edited by King Knut
  • Like 2