Goaltender conundrum

lynxrattle

Kähkönen used to carry his former Finnish league team Lukko on his shoulders. Come to think of it, that's not necessarily a good thing. The pressure might get to the goalie in the end and what's worse, really good goaltending can hide some of the team's defensive mistakes. We like even negative things kept out in the open, just like in the old forum. Things that are kept hidden can't be discussed about.

• Like 1

I think after Dubnyck's mediocre play in his last game and Staylock's play last night it is time for the alternate every game rotation.

If either truly shows he is #1 then change, but right now I don't see one better than the other. 

2 hours ago, Starofthenorth said:

As long as stalock plays like he did last night the wild should let dubnyk ride the pine pony 

Most coaches I know ride the hot goalie as long as he's healthy. And a big league stopper like Dubnyk gets that and supports his partner. These guys usually share space in the lockerroom. There is competion, yes, but that takes place in practice. Coaches, mainly on-ice assistants, get a good feel for who's is hot and who is not, in practice and in the training room, in conjuction with training staff. That's why I earlier wondered if Dubnyk might be playing through a nagging injury.  Groin pulls can be particularly chronic and are treated with massage, ice, heat and gentle stretching but mostly with some rest of that muscle group. Long story short give the crease to Stalock until he stumbles or needs rest and a night off. We need to keep both playing to maintain their value to the organization. Consider the Devils and Corey Schneider, whose play has dropped to point he passed through waivers this week. 

Edited by Icechipper

3 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I'd go even further and let Stalock play, until his game shows signs of being off, and then let Duby show if he can take charge for a change. Go with the flow. 

Last time they did that was only a fortnight ago:

Stalock won against the Ducks, get the nod for the next game against SJ, allowed 4 goals in the 1st period, was yanked and Mr Softie got the next 4 starts.

You guys can wish all you want but I've stopped believing. The fact is Dubnyk has a much longer leash no matter how you slice it.

I still hope Kahkonen would get a look but in the mean time the best is to pray for Dubnyk to get most of the starts since:

He sucks and so the team will suck. They'll land a better pick. And if he sucks really badly, they won't even consider giving him the Koivu treatment aka overpriced extension.

9 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

The trend I have noticed is that each goalie plays well for 2 games followed by a game of giving up soft goals or juicy rebounds. 
In any event neither goalie right now appears to be the long term solution. 

You are right: Neither goalie is the long term solution.
That honor falls to whomever can emerge from the AHL...or maybe even a guy the Wild don't even have yet.

Dubnyk had his run. His best seasons were halted almost everytime the Wild met the Blackhawks.
Now he is an aging goalie who won't ever see the kinds of runs he had before.

Stalock was always a back up, always will be.
Plays well for a few games, then, with the league seeing him often enough, they take advantage of him.
Classic backup.... can play well for spurts, but overuse him, and well, the results aren't pretty.

But since right now neither goalie has any real trade value, the Wild are just stuck with both of them till their contracts expire.
Doesn't even pay to do a buy out on Dubnyk and have his cap hit follow the team around after he is gone seeing as how Minnesota is nowhere near contention.

• Like 1

:rolleyes:  We got a win against Buffalo.  Does that make me think we're still good enough to make the playoffs if Stalock is the workhorse...no.  But that's not a slight on Stalock as it is I don't think this team outworks teams consistently like they did last evening.  

Still, not sure what the controversy is.  Is it about the salary that dictates playing time or how well you are playing?  That's probably a question for the GM as much as it is the coach.  

The only controversy I see is that dubnyk is ordained the automatic starter. 
I think with the way he is playing, he is just another backup goalie. 
so rotate both your backup goalies evenly until one proves worthy. 

• Like 3

Dubnyk with a solid defensive squad in front of him is pure gold. Not flash like Stalock but squares to the shooter/situation. As long as Suter Spurgeon and Brodin read the play he is money. Wild weakness right now is forwards not being effective helping clear the zone. For all he gets dissed and dismissed here, Rask is effective in not fleeing the zone until we have possession. Koivu too plays big in our zone. Again and again I've said, this team is at its best winning 2-1, 3-2. And they can do that. But they cannot try to win 6-5. Look at Toronto. Babcock had a scary array of goal gunners and just got fired because he couldn't get them to protect their end of the ice.

Edited by Icechipper

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

Dubnyk with a solid defensive squad in front of him is pure gold. Not flash like Stalock but squares to the shooter/situation. As long as Suter Spurgeon and Brodin read the play he is money. Wild weakness right now is forwards not being effective helping clear the zone. For all he gets dissed and dismissed here, Rask is effective in not fleeing the zone until we have possession. Koivu too plays big in our zone. Again and again I've said, this team is at its best winning 2-1, 3-2. And they can do that. But they cannot try to win 6-5. Look at Toronto. Babcock had a scary array of goal gunners and just got fired because he couldn't get them to protect their end of the ice.

Yea, other than the random games giving up soft goals and juicy rebounds, he’s a vezina candidate. 

• Like 1

Here are recent news - Bill Guerin(GM) has recalled Kaapo Kahkonen under emergency conditions from the Iowa Wild:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/minnesota-recalls-goaltender-kaapo-kahkonen-from-iowa

I have feelings that he is going to play tomorrow against of extremely difficult Colorado team. Hope , our team will be able to help him in his first NHL game.

9 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Here are recent news - Bill Guerin(GM) has recalled Kaapo Kahkonen under emergency conditions from the Iowa Wild:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/minnesota-recalls-goaltender-kaapo-kahkonen-from-iowa

I have feelings that he is going to play tomorrow against of extremely difficult Colorado team. Hope , our team will be able to help him in his first NHL game.

They’re not going to play Kahkonen against Colorado. He’s been called up as an emergency back up. 
If they were playing Ottawa or some other bad team, maybe. 

But it would be a slap in the face to Stalock after getting a win against Buffalo. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

They’re not going to play Kahkonen against Colorado. He’s been called up as an emergency back up. 

But it would be a slap in the face to Stalock after getting a win against Buffalo. 

Word...

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Absolutely. Probably the worst time to let Kahkonen start.

But then again, only a fortnight ago Stalock gave up 4 goals in the first period. If it was to happen again, the Avs certainly could do it, would BB have the composure to sit idly by and let Stalock take the beating till the end? Some do it sometimes but I feel BB is too competitive to give up so early...

25 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Russo seems to be expecting Kähkönen to play. It does sound a bit ill-timed to me. I just have to hope the organisation knows what it is doing. (Has it ever?)

I'm guessing the timing is just because of Stalock. He's kind of like a Box of Chocolate's, you never know what you're gonna get...

If Stalock is sharp, Kahkonen might not ever see the ice. But if Stalock turns in one of his four goals on five shot performances, Kahkonen will probably see some ice time. Is he ready? That's the $64,000 question...

And the only reason that Kahkonen is up here is because of the family emergency with Dubnyk. If there was no family emergency, Kahkonen would still be in Iowa. So the situation kind of forced the organizations hand, not that Kahkonen has forced his way onto the Wild roster...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I'm guessing the timing is just because of Stalock. He's kind of like a Box of Chocolate's, you never know what you're gonna get...

If Stalock is sharp, Kahkonen might not ever see the ice. But if Stalock turns in one of his four goals on five shot performances, Kahkonen will probably see some ice time. Is he ready? That's the $64,000 question...

And the only reason that Kahkonen is up here is because of the family emergency with Dubnyk. If there was no family emergency, Kahkonen would still be in Iowa. So the situation kind of forced the organizations hand, not that Kahkonen has forced his way onto the Wild roster...

I think the most likely scenario is Kahkonen gets one of those games in the back to back.  To start him tonight against one of the leagues' most deadly lines and power plays would be reckless in my opinion.  

Something interesting for this organization and its fans to see, finally. Good to get it out of the way.

If he sucks, we know his destination. If he thrives, this board gets something new to speculate about.

And kids, remember: none of us is the HC. That's why this is the best place to b1tch about...😉

Edited by Hockey-78
  • Like 1