The Physical Game

CoachX

The Flyers had a much needed and well earned win last night. As I watched I couldn't help but get frustrated by the way Wilson asserted himself physically. He had Coots distracted and also frustrated, drawing a few penalties. The Flyers bent, but didn't break. But in a 7 game series, they wouldn't be so lucky. It would only be a matter of time before being shorthanded would cost them.

A guy like Wilson can have his way with the Flyers because there is nothing to deter him. All he would need to do is keep yapping, play the body hard, and get under the skin of Flyer players. He had no fear that our power play would be effective and he certainly wasn't worried about someone challenging him, or taking retribution on a teammate. And should a team get frustrated enough to take some penalties, his team goes on the PP where they can do major damage. And this is exactly what happened, minus the Caps being able to convert.

Im not advocating getting some goon, so he can skate 4 minutes and maybe get in a staged scrap. Those days appear to belong gone. But they do need to find a player like Wilson, and maybe a few more like NAK who are willing to get dirty, if they plan on winning a playoff series in the east

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The Flyers had a much needed and well earned win last night. As I watched I couldn't help but get frustrated by the way Wilson asserted himself physically. He had Coots distracted and also frustrated, drawing a few penalties. The Flyers bent, but didn't break. But in a 7 game series, they wouldn't be so lucky. It would only be a matter of time before being shorthanded would cost them.

A guy like Wilson can have his way with the Flyers because there is nothing to deter him. All he would need to do is keep yapping, play the body hard, and get under the skin of Flyer players. He had no fear that our power play would be effective and he certainly wasn't worried about someone challenging him, or taking retribution on a teammate. And should a team get frustrated enough to take some penalties, his team goes on the PP where they can do major damage. And this is exactly what happened, minus the Caps being able to convert.

Im not advocating getting some goon, so he can skate 4 minutes and maybe get in a staged scrap. Those days appear to belong gone. But they do need to find a player like Wilson, and maybe a few more like NAK who are willing to get dirty, if they plan on winning a playoff series in the east

The problem is that there is only one Tom Wilson. There is no other player like him in the NHL today. Part of this is because he's uniquely big and skilled, and part of it is his disposition.  

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

I have been saying this for years, we have some big players like JVR and Jake, but they are big dopey goofballs like Baby Hughie from Bugs Bunny.  They dont play physical and cant protect anyone, they have no killer instinct thats why they are so inconsistent.  TK is half their size and is much tougher. We did take the body well last night, but thats rare for us. In a long playoff series Wilson and Ovechkin would pulverize G and TK. Imagine having to go through Boston and Washington back to back, we would never make it. We need a couple of guys in the mold of Getzlaf and Perry in their prime. I also wouldnt mind a toned down Behn Wilson on the blueline, a skilled player who has no problem extracting revenge if needed but within todays parameters. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

The problem is that there is only one Tom Wilson. There is no other player like him in the NHL today. Part of this is because he's uniquely big and skilled, and part of it is his disposition.  

Why is that? In the old days there were lots of big skilled guys with toughness, and a mean streak. Have we become a nation of soyboys? What happened to all those big , tough crazy Canadian kids?

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Why is that? In the old days there were lots of big skilled guys with toughness, and a mean streak. Have we become a nation of soyboys?

Well you and I and others have discussed this a bit already.

I personally don't think it is the "pussification" of the game per se, and I say that as a guy who grew up in a tough mining town not unlike Flin Flon. The game is still very physically demanding, but in a different way. I do think it is mainly a symptom of the evolving speed and skill of the game which, I suppose, has been driven in part by Europeans who played a less physical game historically. 

I don't know who is out there that available,  but Wayne Simmonds was a pretty effectuve equalizer to Wilson. Evander Kane comes to mind, so does Patrick Maroon. The player doesnt have to be apples to apples. You can find a tough, effective 4th line guy who can handle himself and not hurt the team

28 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Well you and I and others have discussed this a bit already.

I personally don't think it is the "pussification" of the game per se, and I say that as a guy who grew up in a tough mining town not unlike Flin Flon. The game is still very physically demanding, but in a different way. I do think it is mainly a symptom of the evolving speed and skill of the game which, I suppose, has been driven in part by Europeans who played a less physical game historically. 

It is definitely a rare commodity to find  that combo of skill,.size and skating  these days

I wish we could get one of the Tkachuk  brothers.

i dont think the issue is specific to one person. Other teams are physical enough to compete against Wash, BOS, STL etc. You need a combo of speed and toughness. The flyers tried to get faster (not sure how thats working out), but they lost any semblance off tough. Their pusillanimous style and approach just wont match up.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

He had no fear that our power play would be effective

Believe it or not fixing this will help with the other issue..which isn't a quick fix that is finding and drafting (with some projection as well) the players with size and grit needed to combat the Wilson types.

But they could possibly target some of those types in the offseason. 

But for right now fix the power play and his coach will put him on blast for putting his team down a man. But yeah till you can make him pay with a power play goal it isn't going to change much.

I do not want to see them ice Steart on the 4th line to neuter the whole line just in case something might happen.

However till the coaching staff and front notice and address this it will go on.

But it need fixing.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I personally don't think it is the "pussification" of the game per se

Yeah it's the pussification of the games prospects and the kids these days in general i think....it is just how the world is now days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Believe it or not fixing this will help with the other issue..which isn't a quick fix that is finding and drafting (with some projection as well) the players with size and grit needed to combat the Wilson types.

But they could possibly target some of those types in the offseason. 

But for right now fix the power play and his coach will put him on blast for putting his team down a man. But yeah till you can make him pay with a power play goal it isn't going to change much.

I do not want to see them ice Steart on the 4th line to neuter the whole line just in case something might happen.

However till the coaching staff and front notice and address this it will go on.

But it need fixing.

agreed! dressing a mouth breathing knuckle dragger to combat a tough skill player is idiotic. but then again, so is dressing Vorobyev. They are the Flyers

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

agreed! dressing a mouth breathing knuckle dragger to combat a tough skill player is idiotic. but then again, so is dressing Vorobyev. They are the Flyers

Yes i have been advocating sending Misha down since the Sharks game. I'm done with the kid he is just a soft perimeter Russian he has very good skill but he is too timid in the NHL to ever seen it....the NHL physical style has he skating with his tail tucked between his legs.

He is exactly what they don't need. Get hi the f**k outta here!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

ok

Society in general has been pussified,  have you seen the explosion of 98lb weaklings with skinny jeans and a beard, as if having a beard will make you manly?  They are more the norm than the exception.  When was the last time you saw a muscle head guido walking around.  Even a domestic terrorists group like Antifa is inundated with fat doughy gamer types and scrawny soyboys. You got a better shot spotting a unicorn than a guido these days.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I have been saying this for years, we have some big players like JVR and Jake, but they are big dopey goofballs like Baby Hughie from Bugs Bunny.  They dont play physical and cant protect anyone, they have no killer instinct thats why they are so inconsistent.  TK is half their size and is much tougher. We did take the body well last night, but thats rare for us. In a long playoff series Wilson and Ovechkin would pulverize G and TK. Imagine having to go through Boston and Washington back to back, we would never make it. We need a couple of guys in the mold of Getzlaf and Perry in their prime. I also wouldnt mind a toned down Behn Wilson on the blueline, a skilled player who has no problem extracting revenge if needed but within todays parameters. 

It appears as though Boston has let their foot off the gas pedal with the intention of finishing second in the Atlantic, thereby once again facing their favourite first round team (Toronto) and leaving Tampa with the tougher road to hoe in the Flyers or Hurricanes in the nasty Metro division. 

The Leafs are the SOFTEST team in the league. When the playoffs become a grind, facing the Leafs is like a night off physically. Boston knows they can exploit the Leafs defensive weaknesses. They want that match-up in round one. 

6 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Why is that? In the old days there were lots of big skilled guys with toughness, and a mean streak. Have we become a nation of soyboys? What happened to all those big , tough crazy Canadian kids?

The schools now teach them to be ashamed of exhibiting any masculine traits and encourage them to be more like women. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Society in general has been pussified,  have you seen the explosion of 98lb weaklings with skinny jeans and a beard, as if having a beard will make you manly?  They are more the norm than the exception.  When was the last time you saw a muscle head guido walking around.  Even a domestic terrorists group like Antifa is inundated with fat doughy gamer types and scrawny soyboys. You got a better shot spotting a unicorn than a guido these days.

I've actually noticed that the average body weight for women is now greater than it is for men!  The new, in style "2020 couple" is the 5'5", 250 lb purple haired female with the 6'0", 160 lb male (complete with ear-ring spacers and thick framed glasses).  :) 

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Even a domestic terrorists group like Antifa is inundated with fat doughy gamer types and scrawny soyboys. You got a better shot spotting a unicorn than a guido these days.

Haha you must not have seen pics of Proud Boys. 

E34287A2-DE21-4ABD-9EA9-8CB4088359CE.jpeg

Edited by mkscrewy

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know man that dude with the fist on his shirt looks yoked !

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

Haha you must not have seen pics of Proud Boys. 

E34287A2-DE21-4ABD-9EA9-8CB4088359CE.jpeg

They are not looking too impressive,  but Antifa are from  the left coast i those people are insane, far worse in every way  than the  Round Boys

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

They are not looking too impressive,  but Antifa are from  the left coast i those people are insane, far worse in every way  than the  Round Boys

don't really know about that. not disagreeing with you, but the other side causes its share of misinformation and mayhem as well.

but I can agree that we cannot win a 7 game series against a team like the caps. we've played well against them in the regular season games, but Wilson (as much as I hate that ****—one good reason I wish we still had Wayne Simmonds on the squad) alone would be the difference maker in that series, even if we had home ice advantage. boston is probably also in this category.