Patrick practices with the team: good sign ?

mojo1917

The twitterverse was all twitterpated yesterday as there were photographs and video of Travis Koneckny's X-box road dog and bestie practicing with the team wearing a regular practice jersey.

AV has downplayed the significance of this development, saying it was just a "skills" practice and he doesn't know anything about anything regarding 19.

Lots of the folks I follow on that oddly fun site, are cautiously optimistic about Patrick's return.

Personally-I think it is a good sign,  it seemed to give everyone a lift and I think it's the first I've seen that dude smile in about 9 months. 

I think his return helps the team immensely, I know a lot of people don't think he's lived up to his #2 over-all pick expectations ( I don't disagree ) I also don't think he's a finished product by any stretch, I was thinking he would be significantly better this year.  He's got some punk in his game, he's big, he's got nasty hands ,a great shot...and he projects farmboy from the scatch energy & dudes like that don't grow on trees. At the end of last year he was a dude no defensman wanted bearing down on them off the rush... I think there is more "there" there.
I hope things work out well for him because I think they wil in turn work out for the team. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Personally-I think it is a good sign

I think it is too.

Once they actually send him down for a conditioning stint then you know this may be happening.

Not saying he is close it is just what Chuck said would take place before they ever get to add him to the roster.

But from reports he still hasn't been cleared for contact.

But this is a step in the right direction. 

So we'll see where it goes from here.

• Like 1

Retrospect of course but Cale Makar or Elias Petterson would have looked mighty nice in a Flers uni. Picked just a few picks later. Nolan was ranked a solid second...so no mistake really made EXCEPT Patrick came with numerous injury concerns from his days in jr. Maybe you take a sure thing when picking that high?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Retrospect of course but Cale Makar or Elias Petterson would have looked mighty nice in a Flers uni. Picked just a few picks later. Nolan was ranked a solid second...so no mistake really made EXCEPT Patrick came with numerous injury concerns from his days in jr. Maybe you take a sure thing when picking that high?

The Eagles did the same thing with Wentz. The Sixers with Embiid. It seems to be a Philadelphia organizational philosophy and syndrome. Pick players with injury histories, and hope for the best. The fans will come to games, some gullible, some don't care. Too bad for the rest.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The Eagles did the same thing with Wentz. The Sixers with Embiid. It seems to be a Philadelphia organization philosophy and syndrome. Pick players with injury histories, an hope for the best. The fans will come to games, some gullible, some don't care. Too bad for the rest.

These things hardly ever work out. When a player comes in with injury concerns its usually always a concern. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Really? numerous injuries ? ...gftoh with Cale Makar or Petterson….just please. It was  two person draft at the time. 

3 years later of course it looks different.

Makar or Petterson were far from a sure thing at that draft, so just stop. 

there is no such thing as a sure thing . See: Lindros, Eric.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Really? numerous injuries ? ...gftoh with Cale Makar or Petterson….just please. It was  two person draft at the time. 

3 years later of course it looks different.

Makar or Petterson were far from a sure thing at that draft, so just stop. 

there is no such thing as a sure thing . See: Lindros, Eric.

Did you MISS the part where I said Nolan was ranked a solid second and there was no mistake made?? Myself, I had concerns about health as did others. If he had core muscle surgery it very well could have ended his career.

He had the exact type of injury that ended Renbergs career. That was the big one, but he had other jr injuries as well. He played his whole last jr year between 60% and 75%...this is not cause for concern?? 

I can't cut and paste on my phone...but Google Nolan Patrick injury history career and see for yourself? 

17 hours ago, CoachX said:

How about:

Kane, Patrick

Ovechkin,  Alex

Crosby, Cindy

did the flyers have the opportunity to draft those guys ?

I don't find those names to be meaningful, unless you want to say other team have better luck sucking than Philadelphia .

15 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Did you MISS the part where I said Nolan was ranked a solid second and there was no mistake made?? Myself, I had concerns about health as did others. If he had core muscle surgery it very well could have ended his career.

He had the exact type of injury that ended Renbergs career. That was the big one, but he had other jr injuries as well. He played his whole last jr year between 60% and 75%...this is not cause for concern?? 

I can't cut and paste on my phone...but Google Nolan Patrick injury history career and see for yourself? 

I'll do that, I only remember the core injury that hampered him his draft year, often full recovery from a core muscle injury takes more than 1 season.

EDIT: It seems like he was the victim of some poor sports medicine, mis-diagnosing an injury and that his core injury never really healed. 

but I see he only played 74% of his available games in junior. That's not insignificant. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'll do that, I only remember the core injury that hampered him his draft year, often full recovery from a core muscle injury takes more than 1 season.

EDIT: It seems like he was the victim of some poor sports medicine, mis-diagnosing an injury and that his core injury never really healed. 

but I see he only played 74% of his available games in junior. That's not insignificant. 

Well that was my concern, the injury time missed coupled with s possible career ending injury. I'm sure the Flyers did their due diligence, but when there is smoke, fire usually follows...even though the headache thing is brand new.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

did the flyers have the opportunity to draft those guys ?

I don't find those names to be meaningful, unless you want to say other team have better luck sucking than Philadelphia .

well, specify that.

if your point is that the Flyers have sucked at drafting, ok. But I dont' think drafting Giroux, Richards, Carter, Gagne

or Lindros were examples of that. They made the finals with those players and could have won a SC. It was other reasons they didn't, not drafting

49 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Well that was my concern, the injury time missed coupled with s possible career ending injury. I'm sure the Flyers did their due diligence, but when there is smoke, fire usually follows...even though the headache thing is brand new.

i love conspiracy

any chance the headache thing is a cover for  some other injury?

45 minutes ago, CoachX said:

i love conspiracy

any chance the headache thing is a cover for  some other injury?

Interesting thought. Perhaps they prolonged the headache thing cause the core muscle injury occured again? Doubtful, but opponents would target his midsection if they knew....hmmmm.

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

well, specify that.

if your point is that the Flyers have sucked at drafting, ok. But I dont' think drafting Giroux, Richards, Carter, Gagne

or Lindros were examples of that. They made the finals with those players and could have won a SC. It was other reasons they didn't, not drafting

We  drafted some good forwards , but we sucked at drafting defense and goaltending for a good 30 years. That’s why we had to constantly trade for defense  and give up guys like Justin Williams for defense and had 30 different goaltenders in that time period. Up until we drafted Provorov the last dominant defenseman we actually drafted was Behn Wilson in 78 and Hart was our best goalie pick since Hextall.. Heres a list of dmen we traded for...Howe, McCrimmon, Svoboda, Markhov,Desjardins, Haller, Dykhuis, Timonen and Pronger. These are only the good ones , we traded for countless other stiffs. We drafted failures like Rumble, Smith, Chycrun, Niinima,  Wesley, Stothers, Smyth, Huffman, Pitkanen, Bowen, Beckett, Ratchuk , Bodrov and Marshall. These are all first or second round picks. This is a colossal list of failures. It was weak defense and horrible goaltending that cost us championships over the years and that s directly related to horrible drafting by Homer and Clarke. 

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CoachX said:

well, specify that.

The Flyers picked 2nd on Kane.

Didnt have a dog in the hunt on Crosby or Ovechkin. 

These are your sure things -the Flyers didnt have the opportunity to draft those guys. 

They've done very well with their picks imo, 

I'd say the sure thing they did pick is #9 he seems to be panning out.

More broadly there is no way to know how a 17 year old boy is going to grow into manhood in the NHL. 

That's what I mean, when Lindros came to town people expected parades, that never happened,  if there was a "sure thing" 88 was it.  Except he wasnt 

Edit: I'm on my phone , sorry if this reads like english is my 2nd language 

Edited by mojo1917