Flyers 2020-21 season

8 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Morin is never going to play significant meaningful minutes for the Flyers, which is probably a good thing.  He was a reach when they drafted him in the 1st, he has had injury setback after setback, he hasn't dominated at the AHL level, and when I saw him in person at the NHL level he looked like a newborn baby giraffe took an epidural and couldn't communicate with his legs.

I feel bad for the guy, but Flyers fans are dreaming at this point.

Yes, we wish him well. He has had a twice torn ACL Right Knee and a grueling rehab. He has worked very hard.

Now Morin has been skating at the Flyers Training Center in Voorhees for several months.

He has played 28 Games over 3 seasons (8 Flyers, 20 Phantoms).

Article Excerpts:

>> Assistant coach Ian Laperriere, a fellow French Canadian who overcame lots of adversity of his own during his playing days, has helped Morin get through rough spots with numerous one-on-one chats. And Kjell Samuelsson, the former defenseman who is the Flyers’ director of player development, has been by his side during many of his rehab skating sessions.

Morin has been lifting weights and skating in Voorhees for a few months. He is about a year removed from his second ACL surgery and said he was “back to full speed.”

“When camp starts, I have to be ready to go,” he said. “I still have some work to do, but the knee feels good. That’s the important part.”

The NHL hopes to start training camps in mid-December and the season on Jan. 1. Morin has virtually no chance to make the team because of his inactivity the last three years, so he figures to play with the Phantoms if he clears waivers – with his injured past and his age, it’s unlikely he would be claimed – to get his game back in order.

Deep down, Morin said, “I really do believe I’m going to be a hockey player again and have a nice career. I’m so lucky and thankful right now. I’m healthy again, and I just need to play. I just need to control what I can control.

“He’s probably going to have to go in the American League and get 50, 60 games staying healthy under his belt,” Flyers coach Alain Vigneault said recently. “He’s got to get a chance to play.” <<

There seems that there is no room on the flyers now or in the forseeable future for Morin with the current 6-man unit and with excellent prospects coming:

2020-21 Season:
Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH) (don't break them up)
Hagg - Braun (RH)
Friedman (RH)
Ghost 

Zamula
Wylie
York

If Morin has an excellent Phantoms season here in 2020-21 and his right knee is good, perhaps he could be a #7 defenceman with our Flyers for 2021-22 and forward? His D-zone play, size, reach, and his toughness could be an asset to insert for selected games. Our Division rival, the NY Rangers, know of Morin's toughness after several fights (below).

Having him on the temporary Taxi Squad was me thinking about the Pens Malkin.

Also, the thought of the Flyers Towers in the Defensive Zone in the future:

Hagg (6'-2")
Sanheim (6'-4")
Myers (6'-5")
Morin (6'-7"

Zamula (6'-4")

Fedotov G (6'-8")

Samuel Morin of the Philadelphia Flyers lands a punch during a first-period fight against Bobby Farnham of the New York Rangers during a preseason...

Saturday, December 26, 2020

Flyers Mystery Player Photo Contest

Every Saturday at 12 Noon ET

Up to now, you guys have been tooo sharp. But now, nobody will get this one - - 

What 2 Flyers' players were on a Flyers' team together as Captain and Alternate Captain - - - 

but, 

NEITHER GUY WAS FROM HERE ? 

Neither was from North America.

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Forsberg/Kap?

WOW !

Bingo !  In only 7 minutes, you got the correct answer !

Unbelievable !  Awesome ! Good work.

You got it before P25 and CX. 

Answer: Peter Forsberg (C) #21 and Sami Kapanen (A) #24 in the Flyers 2006-07 Season. Forsberg is from Sweden and Kapanen from Finland.

peter-forsberg-of-the-philadelphia-flyer

sami-kapanen-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-

Way back then, Forsberg was my high-rise neighbor in CC Philadelphia and he drove a 2004 Volvo Wagon. Must not have been making much money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest

Every Saturday at 12 Noon.

Standings (of those who have participated)

3 Podein25
1 CoachX
1 flyercanuck
0 pilldoc

12/5/20 CoachX - - - Hexy and Gretzky

12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Behn Wilson
12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Mark Friedman

12/19/20 Podein25 - - - Mike McKenna

12/26/20 flyercanuck - - - Forsberg and Kapanen

This coming Saturday, January 2, 2021, nobody will get the answer. You guys are sharp, but not this time. Not even veteran Flyers fans P25 and CX. Guaranteed.

It will be a Flyers tough-guy. You can study-up, but it won't help. Too hard.

image.png.d057fb943c8388ae8a760d3dcaf378

On 12/26/2020 at 7:04 AM, Zzeke said:

In the Zoom call with the media a few days ago, GM Fletcher said that they would carry the full 23-player roster (last season they carried 22) and the full 6-player Taxi Squad - as part of the NHL special rules during COVID.

I like:

LW - - - - C - - - - RW

Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny
Giroux-Patrick-Sandin (G will settle P and S)
Laughton-Bunnaman-Aube Kubel (ideal AV 4th line)

#13-Raffl
#14-JVR (until he is moved somehow)
If Patrick not healthy, then Frost at 3C.

LD - - - - - - RD

Provorov - Gustafsson
Hagg - Braun (RH)

#7 - Ghost (until traded)

Hart
Elliott

- - - all for a number of reasons

My hope for the 6-player Taxi Squad:

Frost (C)
Laczynski (C/LW/RW)
Twarynski (LW)
Friedman (RD)
Morin (LD) (for Malkin reasons as we play the Pens often 😉 )
Lyon (G)

Here are 4 of the skaters on the Buffalo Taxi Squad:

NHL: Winter Classic-Practice

I like:

Forward line is probably already set.   

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek

JVR - Hayes - Farabee

Lindblom- Patrick - Konecny

Raffl - Laughton - NAK

Defensive pairing I want to see in the start of the year.

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Myers
Hagg -Gustafsson/ Braun

Hart/Moose

Insert:  x fancy fotos

x fancy pants comments...

Bottom line this line was the projected lineup that was in place for the coming years, pending any trades.

This is the line up that better utilizes assets with talents.

Line 1 is tried and true.

Line 2 is what was working.

Line 3 is what was about to happen before medical issues came around.

Line 4 is probably the best 4th line in the east.

Pending other signed players that will win a spot in training camp.

These 4 lines have NHL experience. I can see Sandin making things interesting as a slide in.

the defensive pairing of Ghost on the first line is something that worked in the past. His injuries caused him to compensate his game and it didn't fall favorably. He had two injury setbacks that threw his game, which caused him to not be able to play his game.

Braun is probably only hear until the end of this year. Which he probably would of gone back to San Jose had Nisky stayed on board for one more year.

Ghost is better than Braun and can be physical at times.

Gustafsson is most likely not as good as Ghost on defensive duty.

Ghost has shown he can break up 2 on 1's at times with his speed skating back.

If things go south on top pairing on a play and an odd man rush develops going the other way, I would like the odds in our favor more if a Provy and Ghost pair were to turn back those tides.

Hagg and Gustafsson I think would balance out the 3rd pairing switching in Braun depending on certain game day decisions.

I would prefer to have Sanheim and Myers continue to develop together as it would make it easier to both learn the game with a known constant. Two rookie blades sharpening themselves rubbing together, for lack of no other vet defensemen to show them the ropes at their talent level.

I'd prefer Morin over Hagg.

More aggressive defensively and a better/faster skater.

I still hold out for Morin playing and being a very positive impact on the team.

Do not let this fact escape you. We need to hold on to our young talent. The sad fact is that most likely we will not be able to keep all our players if they shoot up as above average/possible All Stars talent. They are going to eventually want more money and term then we are going to be able to afford. Keeping our younger talent  will allow us to keep our window of a Stanley Cup open for consecutive win opportunities for years to come.

We are most likely not going to be able to keep all of our young players if they really excel. Coots/Provy/Myers/Heart...etc are gonna command more years and cost. Flat cap and expansion draft won't allow us to take on another big contract unless we loose Jake or JVR to expansion.

This is a solid lineup:

JVR - Hayes - Farabee

Raffl - Laughton - NAK

If Patrick is out then most likely this line:

JVR  -  Hayes -  Farabee

Lindblom - Laughton - Konecny

Sandin/NAK - Raffl  - Sandin/NAK

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

None of these lineups have Frost.  There's no way that Frost isn't making this club.  He doesn't need another year with Gordo the clown in Lehigh Valley.  

Therefore, what are your 4 forward lines with Frost at Center?

We like Frost. He is going to be a very good center in the NHL, maybe more. He hasn't played wing, with wing responsibilities, at any level. If Patrick is not healthy, Frost is most likely the 3C. It will be fun to see him play and grow at 3C. If Patrick is healthy, then Frost will play with the Phantoms this season and they most likely will have him learn to play wing, with a call-up to our Flyers at some point.

Of course, Frost does not qualify to play 4C. AV's 4th line profile/requirement is very physical - - - hard skating, hard forechecking, pin the other team in their own end, fast/strong backchecking, defensive work, PK duty.

Thankfully, Frost is exempt from the July 21 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft because he is a second year pro.

Here are some helps:

Fletcher - Exit Day Transcript Sep 10, 2020

I think for some of these young players though, and in particular with a guy like Morgan Frost, his game on the ice is pretty good. There’s’ some things he has to work on – his play away from the puck, managing the game at certain times, and learning when to fight and when maybe not to fight in terms of trying to make a play through the middle of the ice when something’s there and when it’s not there. The biggest opportunity he has now is added strength.

If you don’t play for a few months, this a great opportunity for Morgan to continue to work on his strength, and that’s an area that frankly he needs to improve a little bit if he wants to compete. We saw that in the playoffs, it’s extremely physical, the Islanders and Canadiens have really big defensemen, they punish you at every opportunity, and it’s just a much different type of hockey than what we see in the regular season. Trying to add strength would be something that would really help Morgan have a chance to be successful in that type of hockey in the future.

The Frost Report

by Bill Meltzer @BillMeltzer / philadelphiaflyers.com
November 6, 2020

"There was a lot of fun, I learned a lot and, you know, definitely an adjustment period playing against older guys. And, you know, I learned pretty quickly I couldn't do some of the dekes and some of the fancy stuff that sometimes I try to pull off in January [with the Phantoms] that I can't really do it as much up here. So you know, just little things like that," Frost said.

"It definitely opened my eyes even more to the fact that I need to get a bit [physically] stronger. So I'm winning more battles in the corner. Because you can't just [stickhandle]. It's much harder to skate around people and get opportunities. You've kind of got to get on the inside and use your body. And so, yeah, it was definitely an eye- opening season."

Things came very easily to Frost in the Ontario Hockey League. Centering the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds' top line, Frost racked up 112 points and a plus-70 rating in 67 games during his draft-plus-one season. In 2018-19, despite having less surrounding talent than he did the previous year, Frost posted 103 points and a plus-33 rating in his first 52 regular season games on his way to 109 points and a plus-33 in 58 games. A prime scoring threat no matter the manpower situation, Frost even posted a combined 19 shorthanded points across the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.

Frost's combined +103 over his final two seasons in the OHL was more reflective of the extensive puck possession edge that his team enjoyed with him on the ice than a statement on the maturity level of his defensive prowess. In the Ontario Hockey League coaches' poll, Frost was a two-time winner of the Best Stickhandler category, a Best Playmaker winner and twice placed in the top two in selections for the Smartest Player category.

Correspondingly, Frost was often able to stickhandle his way out of trouble. He could slow down the play at will, study his options, and then make a play. When he needed a burst of speed, the former 2016-17 Top Prospects Game Fastest Skater skills competition winner (in both the with-puck and without-the-puck races), could turn on the jets. Generally, though, Frost played a more deliberate style as a junior. As a player who is neither big nor especially strong physically, Frost relied on his other gifts to excel.

While it's his playmaking skills and high-skill goals like the one below that make Frost a high-profile prospect, it's the smaller details that will determine the timeline for when he ultimately graduates from AHL player to NHL regular.

Frost started the 2019-20 season in the AHL with the Phantoms. After being held without a point in his first three games, he rattled off a seven-game point streak (4g, 5a) although he was still working on game-in and game-out consistency in terms of his risk management decisions, avoiding "glide mode" in his skating (in other words, making sure to keep his feet moving), getting better on faceoffs and making the correct reads in the defensive zone.

One of the biggest adjustments was realizing that he had to work harder as a pro than in junior hockey not only to get initial possession of the puck but also to keep it rather than getting quickly separated. There was clearly room for improvement in 50-50 battles and in not getting outmuscled in positional battles with bigger, stronger and more experienced centers opposing him.

The progress was not strictly linear -- there was some missteps along the way -- but Frost showed a willingness to put in the work on the ice and in video study.

From Nov 19 to Dec. 27, Frost was promoted to the NHL. Initially, he was installed as the center on a line where he had Claude Giroux and Travis Konecny on his wings. He was also given an opportunity to play the bumper (slot shooter) role on the power play; a first for him as he was used to setting up on the half-wall in his previous power play experience in the OHL and with the Phantoms.

Frost made an immediate impact on the Flyers lineup. He scored a nifty goal, stepping out from behind the net and elevating a backhander against Sergei Bobrovsky in his NHL debut in Florida. In his next game, Frost scored again and also beautifully set up what proved to be the game-winning goal.

"I think I've learned a lot since [September 2019] camp. There's definitely adjustments. Putting myself in position to get more puck touches, make more plays. It's more off-puck, competing every shift. Making sure I move my feet. Being engaged on the plays with the puck, too. Things happen faster [in the pros]. On faceoff, it's getting lower and not relying mostly on winning draws with my hands," Frost said back on Feb. 8.

So, we fans will be patient and look forward to seeing the exciting Frost at the appropriate time.

And, BobbyClarkeFan16, you usually know your stuff. At Sault Ste Marie for 4 seasons, Frost wore jersey #16. Hmm. He is coming.

>> None of these lineups have Frost.  There's no way that Frost isn't making this club.  He doesn't need another year with Gordo the clown in Lehigh Valley. <<

If you are set for 'now', therefore, what are your 4 forward lines with Frost at Center?

New York Rangers v Philadelphia Flyers

Edited by Zzeke

It's simple - you make room for Frost. You put him on line three and Patrick on line 4. I'd go with the following for a lineup:

Farabee - Couturier - Konecny

Lindblom - Hayes - Voracek

Giroux - Frost - Aube-Kubel

JVR - Patrick - Laughton

Raffl

Sandin goes to Lehigh Valley. 

As for Vigneault and his 'heavy fourth line,  he's getting a fourth line loaded with skill. If he can't make that line work,  then he shouldn't be a coach. Great coaches adjust their system to the personnel they have. If he's going to run a defensive oriented fourth line that their single goal is to check and prevent goals, then he deserves to be fired.  

The idea of playing a 2-1-1 line set up (two offense,  one two way and one energy/physical lines) is outdated.  The days of Hitchcock and Lemaire hockey is dead.  Overwhelm the opposition with skill and ability.  Roll four solid lines that keeps everyone on their toes and the opposition can't focus on one line to shut down because that opens up the other lines to do damage.  

The other beauty of this lineup is that there is a great mix of youth and veteran experience on each line.  You're also moving a guy like Farabee to his natural position and playing with his who will help his offensive game.  You're moving Giroux to a line where he's still going to be top dog and his experience will help benefit Frost and Aube-Kubel. It's a good blend.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I like:

Forward line is probably already set.   

JVR - Hayes - Farabee

Raffl - Laughton - NAK

Do not let this fact escape you. We need to hold on to our young talent. The sad fact is that most likely we will not be able to keep all our players if they shoot up as above average/possible All Stars talent. They are going to eventually want more money and term then we are going to be able to afford. Keeping our younger talent  will allow us to keep our window of a Stanley Cup open for consecutive win opportunities for years to come.

We are most likely not going to be able to keep all of our young players if they really excel. Coots/Provy/Myers/Heart...etc are gonna command more years and cost. Flat cap and expansion draft won't allow us to take on another big contract unless we loose Jake or JVR to expansion.

This is a solid lineup:

JVR - Hayes - Farabee

Raffl - Laughton - NAK

If Patrick is out then most likely this line:

JVR  -  Hayes -  Farabee

Lindblom - Laughton - Konecny

Sandin/NAK - Raffl  - Sandin/NAK

@Legion of Doom

Good stuff LOD.

With my forward lines projection, I also see the value of integrating young players for reasons of talent, Cap Management, and 'don't let much of the team suddenly get old and drop off together'.

Hence, my posted forward lines:

Farabee-Hayes-Konecny

#13-Raffl
#14-JVR until he can be moved somehow

Our 4th Lines - both work. I like the 32 YO Raffl. But, he is in his final year of his contract @ 1.6 M Cap Hit. Having 22 YO Bunnaman continue his good work with Laughton and NAK is of great value. Laughton/Bunnaman/NAK were excellent together during the late season surge and in the bubble playoffs. Bunnaman will continue to get better and better in that 4th line role. Don't have him idle in favor of Raffl. Raffl is ideal as a #13 who can be plugged in virtually anywhere in the 4 lines temporarily due to injury or poor play of a teammate.

The biggest difference in our postings of the forward lines is JVR.

I also like JVR - - - but there is more - - -

- JVR just does not have the physical tools anymore. He does not have the skating required. His reactions to loose pucks is not good. He lacks the reaction-time and quickness required to pursue. Can we visualize puck-pursuit competition in the offensive zone that we have observed? JVR gets beat-out continually. That is a drag on his line's performance. This is why AV benched JVR for most of the bubble playoff games.

- At 6-3, 217, age 31, his body has slowed down. His NHL career of 10 years and 802 games has caught up with him.

- A players 'overall game' in all 3 zones is important to the success of the team.

-  And, JVR is not a candidate for the 4th line LW. Av's 4th line profile is hard skating, hard forechecking, pin the other team in their own end, defensive work, PK duty. Not a fit for JVR.

- Also, coaches don't set their lines/pairings based on past goals scored, but on who is playing well currently. Same with 'coaches don't play players based on their salary or Cap Hit', but on who is playing well, who can contribute to winning now.

- Older players in decline will get replaced with younger players. Good GMs will try to trade a player before his value decline makes him untradeable.

- Our Flyers are rich in high value prospects. They need to be sequentially introduced into the NHL team - - not wait until all the veterans are in significant decline together. In our Flyers case, JVR, Voracek, and Giroux will need to be replaced in the near-term years sequentially. JVR first, because of his clear attribute decline.

- Plus, the 24 YO Sandin is ready for the NHL:

Sandin is a high-scoring RW. He finished the SHL season tied for third in scoring with 19 goals and 36 points in 51 games. The SHL is a strong pro league and the top pro league in Sweden.

Our Flyers beat out Boston to sign Sandin who can play both wings. Boston wanted him, but Sandin leaned toward our Flyers because he is friends with Hagg (same town), Lindblom, and Gustafsson.

Fletcher said the 6-foot-1, 209-pound Sandin will “come into camp and compete for a spot on our team right away. He works extremely hard and we expect him to add size, skill, and tenacity to our forward group.”

The emergence of Sandin, Laczynski, and Allison, along with Frost (C), is the reason that Fletcher allowed UFAs Pitlick, Grant, and Thompson to leave. Need to make roster room. Actually, Fletcher/Flahr said that Sandin (RW), Laczynski (C/LW/RW), and Allison (RW) all have a chance at that 3RW spot. IMO, Sandin has the best chance because he is a proven pro (SHL) and is a scorer and is responsible in all 3 zones. Sandin is a middle-6 NHL forward.

The only other significant difference in our posted lines is what happens if 3C Patrick is not healthy. IMO, Frost is ready as a 3C (not at wing anyplace).

Good stuff LOD. Your perspective is appreciated.

(Flyers defence in next post.)

ZZ

Linus Sandin kritar på för Flyers

2005925.jpg

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's simple - you make room for Frost. You put him on line three and Patrick on line 4. I'd go with the following for a lineup:

Giroux - Frost - Aube-Kubel

JVR - Patrick - Laughton

Raffl

Sandin goes to Lehigh Valley. 

As for Vigneault and his 'heavy fourth line,  he's getting a fourth line loaded with skill. If he can't make that line work,  then he shouldn't be a coach. Great coaches adjust their system to the personnel they have. If he's going to run a defensive oriented fourth line that their single goal is to check and prevent goals, then he deserves to be fired.  

The idea of playing a 2-1-1 line set up (two offense,  one two way and one energy/physical lines) is outdated.  The days of Hitchcock and Lemaire hockey is dead.  Overwhelm the opposition with skill and ability.  Roll four solid lines that keeps everyone on their toes and the opposition can't focus on one line to shut down because that opens up the other lines to do damage.  

The other beauty of this lineup is that there is a great mix of youth and veteran experience on each line.  You're also moving a guy like Farabee to his natural position and playing with his who will help his offensive game.  You're moving Giroux to a line where he's still going to be top dog and his experience will help benefit Frost and Aube-Kubel. It's a good blend.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

That is reasonable progressive thinking BCF16.

Although the comments on AV - - - 

"If he can't make that line work,  then he shouldn't be a coach. Great coaches adjust their system to the personnel they have. If he's going to run a defensive oriented fourth line that their single goal is to check and prevent goals, then he deserves to be fired."

- - - are heavy from a fan to a highly respected coach in the NHL.

Many teams, and certainly our Flyers, form the 4th line to fit a specific role - - all out super-energy for about a 45 second shift. It serves to give the top-9 a breather, and has a very important job as defined by AV's 4th line profile.

Average game ice time in the NHL:

1st Line    19:20
2nd Line    16:22
3rd Line    13:28
4th Line    12:35

AV's 4th line profile/requirement is hard skating, hard forechecking, pin the other team in their own end, fast/strong backchecking, defensive work, PK duty.

When tactfully inserted, this wears down the top lines of the opposition. Valuable.

If caught with a 4th line of scoring players against the opposition's top lines, it is a mis-match and potentially leads to goals against.

Example: 

Would we want the NYI

Lee-Barzal-Clutterbuck

or the Pens

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen

skating vs our 4th line of JVR - Patrick - Laughton - - or vs any of our 4 scoring lines? No!

Also, having highly skilled Penalty Killers is very, very, valuable in today's NHL. Having these specialists on the 4th line gives needed rest to the top-9 forwards. Having Giroux, Hayes, etc killing penalties is not ideal. Coaches want them fresh to jump on the ice after the kill.

Another issue is Cap Management. Having the specialists on the 4th line saves valuable Cap Space.

BCF16, I like your top 2 lines as very viable:

We disagree with the bottom 9.

My take:

Farabee-Hayes-Konecny

#13-Raffl
#14-JVR until he can be moved somehow

We would like to see other opinions. This is a great Flyers Forum with very good responsible posters.

Good stuff BCF16.

Edited by Zzeke

2 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Example: 

Would we want the NYI

Lee-Barzal-Clutterbuck

or the Pens

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen

skating vs our 4th line of JVR - Patrick - Laughton - - or vs any of our 4 scoring lines? No!

If we're remembering only the playoffs well this team is ****ed- but I don't see it like that. A lot of guys didn't play their best against the two worst match ups the team has.

Call  me a homer, but I don't think Patty Laughts and JvR get worked by anyone outside of EDM and COL's top lines. 

Patrick and Laughton can skate, Patrick can dish and shoot, Laughton will do whatever and JvR still somehow manages to bird dog pucks off the boards and out of corners, in spite of his age and slow reactions and all other deficiencies. 

JvR was one of the Flyers best 5 v 5 players last year...with all of his faults, somehow he managed to have a good year. 

• Good Post 1

Quote from Couturier in today's media session as reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Couturier said center Nolan Patrick, who missed last season with a migraine disorder, has been skating well and “looks good” in informal sessions in Voorhees. “We’re excited to have him back and he could be a big asset for us this year.”

Flyers center Nolan Patrick hopes to return after missing last season with a migraine disorder.

Also - - - 

Couturier said defenseman Phil Myers was around 180 pounds when he first met him five years ago. And now? “He’s a monster – 6-5 and 220. He’s grown into becoming a man and he skates well and has a good shot. I think with the year of experience, he’s just going to get better and better and he’s got all the tools to become a pretty special D-man in this league” down the road. 

Flyers towers in the defensive zone in the future:

(Reach, stick-check / poke-check advantages.)

Hagg (6'-2")
Sanheim (6'-4")
Myers (6'-5")
Morin (6'-7")

Zamula (6'-4")

Fedotov (G) (6'-8")

Travis Sanheim, Philippe Myers and Travis Konecny of the Philadelphia Flyers celebrate a goal against the Montreal Canadiens during the first period...

Edited by Zzeke

17 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Defensive pairing I want to see in the start of the year.

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Myers
Hagg -Gustafsson/ Braun

the defensive pairing of Ghost on the first line is something that worked in the past. His injuries caused him to compensate his game and it didn't fall favorably. He had two injury setbacks that threw his game, which caused him to not be able to play his game.

Braun is probably only hear until the end of this year. Which he probably would of gone back to San Jose had Nisky stayed on board for one more year.

Ghost is better than Braun and can be physical at times.

Gustafsson is most likely not as good as Ghost on defensive duty.

Ghost has shown he can break up 2 on 1's at times with his speed skating back.

If things go south on top pairing on a play and an odd man rush develops going the other way, I would like the odds in our favor more if a Provy and Ghost pair were to turn back those tides.

Hagg and Gustafsson I think would balance out the 3rd pairing switching in Braun depending on certain game day decisions.

I would prefer to have Sanheim and Myers continue to develop together as it would make it easier to both learn the game with a known constant. Two rookie blades sharpening themselves rubbing together, for lack of no other vet defensemen to show them the ropes at their talent level.

I'd prefer Morin over Hagg.

More aggressive defensively and a better/faster skater.

I still hold out for Morin playing and being a very positive impact on the team.

Good stuff LOD.

I like Morin also. Hope he returns strong after some time with the Phantoms. Rooting for the guy.

I prefer:

LD - - - - - RD

Provorov - Gustafsson (prefers Right Side)
Hagg - Braun (RH)

#7 - Friedman (RH)
Ghost - traded soon - before the Expansion Draft or he will be lost w/o compensation because only 3 defencemen are protected under the preferred Protected List 7F/3D/1G choice: Provorov/Sanheim/Myers.

We like Ghost's flash-and-dash and PP work, but actually, Gus is better than Ghost in the defensive zone where Ghost continues to struggle.

Another element in playing the right side next to Provorov is that Ghost had extra struggles on the right side. AV and Yeo tried to keep Ghost on the left side.

On Gus - some excerpts - 

Coach Alain Vigneault sounded excited Monday when he talked about a key addition to the lineup this season, defenseman Erik Gustafsson.

Gustafsson, a 28-year-old Sweden native, was signed as a free agent in October, inking a one-year deal for $3 million. He will be among a handful of players to get a chance on the top pairing, alongside Ivan Provorov.

In a conference call with reporters Monday, Vigneault said he watched lots of video on Gustafsson in the offseason, and he likes the potential the offensive-minded defenseman brings to the lineup.

“We’re getting, in today’s game, a very important defenseman in the sense that he’s a puck-mover who can jump into the play and has good ability to make that first good pass out of our [defensive] zone,” Vigneault said. “He’s very motivated. I saw him when I came to Philly a few weeks back. He was excited to be with our group, excited to help us win. We’re looking forward to get to know him a lot more and helping him help our team.”

Gustafsson, who has averaged nearly 20 minutes of ice time per game in his career (19 minutes, 58 seconds), has his best season two years ago, collecting 17 goals and 60 points in 79 games with Chicago. The Flyers plan to use him as part of their defensive rotation and on the power play.

Yes! Hope AV/Yeo insert Gus with Provorov on the #1 pairing. Gus is LH but has played almost exclusevly on the Right Side and prefers it.

“I played a couple games on the left with Calgary (recently) but it didn’t feel right,’’ he [Gus] said. “So right now I’m used to playing on the right side. I feel more confident on the right side. Whatever the coaches want me to do, I play there.’’

Being friends with fellow Swedish defenseman Robert Hagg of the Flyers should help Gustafsson with the transition to a new team. In fact, the two are currently practicing together back home in their native country. Gustafsson also is friends with Oskar Lindblom.

“They’re two very good guys to know,’’ Gustafsson said. “I’m looking forward to playing with them.’’

If there’s any doubt Flyers’ newly acquired Erik Gustafsson can perform in the bright lights of a top defense pairing role, consider this boldface line on his resume:

One of his recent partners has been two-time Norris Trophy winner Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks.

That should assuage possible concerns if Gustafsson happens to be placed in a tandem with rising star Ivan Provorov when hockey resumes sometime around Jan. 1, 2021.

Although Gustafsson — signed to a one-year, $3-million free-agent contract on Monday — is a left-shooting backliner, he’s been playing mostly on the right side over the past few years.

He says he’s comfortable on his “off’’ flank and that could help if Flyers coach Alain Vigneault decides to start him there and fill the vacancy left by the retiring Matt Niskanen.

At 28, Gustafsson has been around long enough to know the ropes on a top pairing. And besides playing with Keith, Gustafsson also had a chance to compete with other stars (forwards) such as three-time Stanley Cup champions Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews.

Two seasons ago, Gustafsson slumped a bit until he was paired with Keith on a somewhat regular basis. Then things started to turn around.

In reading all the transcripts of Fletcher/Flahr/AV media conferences of the last few months, it seems like they are thinking of a more up-pace defensive corp that is competent in the D-zone but also has speed/quickness/smarts in quickly exiting the D-zone and joining the rush.

>> Erik Gustafsson wasn't signed to replace Matt Niskanen, but the Philadelphia Flyers feel the 28-year-old defenseman can give them something they were lacking.

"[Gustafsson] has tremendous deception with the puck, tremendous poise," general manager Chuck Fletcher said. "We don't have a defenseman that sees the ice like he does, he can play on the power play. It's a different type of skill set than Matt ... there wasn't going to be that ability to replace Matt per se with the same style." <<

>> "We think his (Gustafsson) skill set meshes really well with what we need," Fletcher said. "We think we have a lot of strong defenders on our team and we're very structured defensively as a group. His skill set, his ability to go back on pucks and make good decisions and transition the puck up the ice, we thought was a very important element to add to our group." <<

GM Fletcher: >> "Gustafsson’s just got tremendous deception and vision. I think he generates offense a little bit differently than Ghost. I think Provorov’s elite defensively. Sanheim and Myers in my opinion will become elite shutdown defensemen in this league. Justin Braun is an elite defender [defensively]. Hägg is a good defender. So why not have a couple guys that can spring your offense? If we can defend less, that would be a great thing." <<

The 'new era NHL' approach to the defence corps - - multiple defencemen who are very mobile, fast/quick, puck-moving out of the D-zone, join-the-rush, and can put up solid offensive numbers (in addition to being competent defensively). We now have 4 of these.

Maybe it will work.

Instead of looking at losing an excellent defenceman in Niskanen, who complements/protects Provorov, and saying 'Gustafsson doesn't replace Niskenen' -

- - can we say that actually now 'Provorov replaces Niskanen and the skilled Gustafsson replaces Provorov' in role for that pair?

Also, IMO, do not break-up the in-sync, and successful, pair of Sanheim/Myers. We won't be surprised to see AV keep the advantage of having twin towers Sanheim and Myers continued to be paired.

They played together with the Phantoms and the Flyers. Knowing your partner well in traits/tendancies/abilities is a big plus. Work in the defensive zone puck retrieval and break-out becomes automatic and efficient.

Fletcher played it smart in signing Gus for 1 season.

- advantage Flyers - if Gus was signed for multiple years, and assuming Fletcher would opt for the Protected List 7F/3D/1G choice, Provorov/Sanheim/Myers would be set, and Gus would be vulnerable to be selected by Seattle.

Not so with Gus on a 1-year contract because Gus would be a UFA at time of the July 21 Expansion Draft (UFA on 7/1/21). And, our Flyers would have a shot at signing him after the Expansion Draft if mutual interest.*

- advantage Flyers - it gives Fletcher/AV a chance to evaluate Gus over the 56 game 2020-21 season, plus playoffs, without commiting to a mult-year contract.

* There is obvious risk. On 7/1/21 Gus will be a UFA.  Illegal 3rd-party tampering could happen with a Seattle represenative contacting Gus' agent prior to 7/1/21 and then have a 'telephone handshake agreement' for a contract. 

Assuming Gus has played very well for AV's team, and our Flyers want Gus back for a multi-year 'stay' contract, and assuming Gus likes it here, Fletcher could 'pay' Gus with a new contract. All this without losing him in the Expansion Draft.

Apologies for a loooong post.

I'm high on Gus, low on Ghost who needs to be traded soon before the July Expansion Draft for reasons stated above.

Flyers sign Defenseman Erik Gustafsson to a 1-year Deal! | #LetsGoFlyers -  YouTube

• Kevin Hayes knows that the Flyers need to get off to a fast start in the tough Eastern Division.

That can be said for every team as the NHL has abbreviated its normal 82 game schedule to just 56 contests. “It’s very important for the guys on our team to show up to camp in shape and ready to go,” Hayes said. “I know in the past, the first 10 games is kind of a walk in the park. It’s still tough NHL games, but everyone kind of knows, ‘Oh, he’s not playing very good, but he’ll figure it out come Week 5 or something.’

That’s not the case right now. Everybody needs to be at the top of their game. I know the coaches are working hard. We’re going to have a lot of meetings and a lot of film.

There’s going to be a lot of battling in that shortened 10-day camp.”

Hayes had 23 goals and 41 points in 69 games with the Flyers last season and then had a great post-season with four goals and 13 points in 16 games. Look for 15-20 goals this season with 35 points for the Flyers winger.

Dec 28, 2020, 9:51 AM ET

Oct 26, 2019; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Philadelphia Flyers right wing Kevin Hayes (13) scores a short-handed goal past Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Joonas Korpisalo (70) during the third period at Wells Fargo Center.
  •  

"Justin Braun is an elite defender." Fletcher must be going blind. Justin Braun is a mediocre defender at best and that's being generous.  And if Gustafsson is on the top pairing with Provorov, this club is in deep trouble. Honestly,  I'd rather they run Provorov and Meyers and then use Friedman with Sanheim. That leaves Ghost and Braun on the third pair and allows the Flyers to wash their hands of the statistically worst defenseman in the NHL - Robert Hagg. 

12 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

And if Gustafsson is on the top pairing with Provorov, this club is in deep trouble.

I'd like you to elaborate on this  a little.

It seems like such a "no-brainer" when I read it, but when I think about it, I ask why does he think that?

Provorov isn't a baby, he's had a year playing with a player who by example showed him how a guy should act as a leader and top pairing player.

The guy is in his 5th year, the training wheels are off, if this means that he's the responsible one and Gus is the guy jumping up on the play...what's the problem? 

Take note of #18 and #19. Just sayin - - 

NHL Power Rankings: 25 best players under age 25

By Adam Gretz
Pro Hockey Talk
NBC Sports
December 29, 2020

To this week’s NHL Power Rankings!

1. Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers. Simply the most dominant player in the NHL regardless of age. He has averaged 110 points per 82 games during his career. That number jumps to 120 points over the past four seasons. That sort of production is something out of a different era.

2. Auston Matthews, Toronto Maple Leafs. He has averaged 45 goals per 82 games since entering the NHL and was going to hit the 50-goal mark this past season had it not been for the shortened season. He seems poised to take over the title of top goal scorer in the league whenever Alex Ovechkin slows down.

3. Brayden Point, Tampa Bay Lightning. He was already on the map as one of the league’s best young players, but his playoff performance this year only cemented that status. An elite scorer, an excellent defensive player, and a possession driver. He does it all.

4. David Pastrnak, Boston Bruins. Already one of the league’s best players and he is just now hitting his peak years. He is now a real threat for 50 goals in a full 82-game season.

5. Elias Pettersson, Vancouver Canucks. He is one of the reasons the Canucks’ rebuild has accelerated so much the past couple of years. If you wanted to argue that he should be a spot or two higher I would listen to it.

6. Miro Heiskanen, Dallas Stars. Norris Trophies (multiple) are in his future. Big time offensive ability with shutdown defense. The total package on defense and a franchise-changing player.

7. Jack Eichel, Buffalo Sabres. His team has stunk, but that is not his fault. He is one of the league’s best players and it is going to be fascinating what he can do with Taylor Hall on his wing this season.

8. Mikko Rantanen, Colorado Avalanche. It is easy for him to get overlooked playing in MacKinnon’s shadow, but he is an outstanding player on his own and one of the league’s most productive forwards.

9. Sebastian Aho, Carolina Hurricanes. If I am working in the Hurricanes front office I am sending Marc Bergevin a holiday card every year for that offer sheet, allowing the Hurricanes to get their franchise player signed to a bargain rate for five years.

10. Mathew Barzal, New York Islanders. He is the one game-breaker the Islanders have, and they have already more playoff success with him as their franchise player than they did over the 30 years — combined! — before that.

11. Charlie McAvoy, Boston Bruins. If he could ever play a full 82-games he would probably be a 50-point player from the blue line with great defense to go with it. A legit No. 1 defender and the leader of the Bruins’ defense for the foreseeable future.

12. Mitch Marner, Toronto Maple Leafs. Maybe the Maple Leafs overpaid him, but Marner is already one of the league’s best passers and playmakers and an elite offensive player.

13. Andrei Svechnikov, Carolina Hurricanes. Give it time. It is only a matter of when, and not if, he finds himself higher on a list like this. He plays an advanced all-around game for his age and has 40-goal ability.

14. Cale Makar, Colorado Avalanche. The only thing keeping him from being in the top-10 is the fact he has only played one year in the NHL. He will be competing for the Norris Trophy every season.

15. Quinn Hughes, Vancouver Canucks. Take all of those words written in the Cale Makar entry just above and place them right here as well. The Heiskanen, Makar, Hughes Norris races are going to be amazing to watch over the next decade.

16. Matthew Tkachuk, Calgary Flames. The Western Conference version of Brad Marchand and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

17. Kyle Connor, Winnipeg Jets. He is right there with Patrik Laine, his Jets teammate, from a goal-scoring perspective and is a better all-around player.

18. Patrik Laine, Winnipeg Jets. Speaking of Laine… he does one thing exceptionally well. He scores goals. A lot of them.

19. Carter Hart, Philadelphia Flyers. It took them decades but the Flyers finally found their goalie. He is a darn good goalie as well.

20. Pierre-Luc Dubois, Columbus Blue Jackets. The Blue Jackets faced criticism when they originally picked him with the No. 3 overall pick, but they were right. He is already a top-line center and his best days are still ahead of him.

21. William Nylander, Toronto Maple Leafs. The criticism that he gets in Toronto is a little much and a little over the top. Is he expensive? Yeah, he is. He is also really good. Better than he gets credit for being at times.

22. Zach Werenski, Columbus Blue Jackets. He and Seth Jones form one of the league’s best defense pairings. Jones is the better all-around player (and just a little too old for this list!) but Werenski puts up the big numbers offensively.

23. Rasmus Dahlin, Buffalo Sabres. If he becomes the player everyone thinks he can be that would be massive for a Sabres team that desperately needs a superstar on its blue line. I think he can be that player.

24. Alex DeBrincat, Chicago Blackhawks. I do not know if he will ever score 40 goals again, but I think he is closer to that player than the player we saw this past season.

25. Mikhail Sergachev, Tampa Bay Lightning. The Lightning’s talent level is absurd. They have award winners all over the lineup and always seem to have a pipeline of young talent filling out the rest of the roster. Sergachev is still only 22 years old and is already a top-pairing defender.

Just missing: Brock Boeser, Vancouver Canucks; Ivan Provorov, Philadelphia Flyers; Travis Konecny, Philadelphia Flyers; Anthony Cirelli, Tampa Bay Lightning; Adam Fox, New York Rangers; John Marino, Pittsburgh Penguins; Aaron Ekblad, Florida Panthers; Mackenzie Blackwood, New Jersey Devils; Nikolaj Ehlers, Winnipeg Jets; Dylan Larkin, Detroit Red Wings

I made a mistake in a recent post regarding defenceman Gustafsson and his one season contract.

I posted:

In reading all the transcripts of Fletcher/Flahr/AV media conferences of the last few months, it seems like they are thinking of a more up-pace defensive corp that is competent in the D-zone but also has speed/quickness/smarts in quickly exiting the D-zone and joining the rush.

>> Erik Gustafsson wasn't signed to replace Matt Niskanen, but the Philadelphia Flyers feel the 28-year-old defenseman can give them something they were lacking.

"[Gustafsson] has tremendous deception with the puck, tremendous poise," general manager Chuck Fletcher said. "We don't have a defenseman that sees the ice like he does, he can play on the power play. It's a different type of skill set than Matt ... there wasn't going to be that ability to replace Matt per se with the same style." <<

>> "We think his (Gustafsson) skill set meshes really well with what we need," Fletcher said. "We think we have a lot of strong defenders on our team and we're very structured defensively as a group. His skill set, his ability to go back on pucks and make good decisions and transition the puck up the ice, we thought was a very important element to add to our group." <<

The 'new era NHL' approach to the defence corps - - multiple defencemen who are very mobile, fast/quick, puck-moving out of the D-zone, join-the-rush, and can put up solid offensive numbers (in addition to being competent defensively). We now have 4 of these.

Maybe it will work.

Provorov - Gustafsson (LH - plays exclusively Right Side)
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
Hagg - Braun (RH)

#7 - Friedman (RH)
(Ghost traded soon before the July 21 Expansion Draft since the 3 defencemen protected will be Provorov, Sanheim and Myers.)

>> Fletcher played it smart in signing Gus for 1 season.

- advantage Flyers - if Gus was signed for multiple years, and assuming Fletcher would opt for the Protected List 7F/3D/1G choice, Provorov/Sanheim/Myers would be set, and Gus would be vulnerable to be selected by Seattle.

Not so with Gus on a 1-year contract because Gus would be a UFA at time of the July 21 Expansion Draft (UFA on 7/1/21). And, our Flyers would have a shot at signing him after the Expansion Draft if mutual interest.*

- advantage Flyers - it gives Fletcher/AV a chance to evaluate Gus over the 56 game 2020-21 season, plus playoffs, without commiting to a mult-year contract.

* There is obvious risk. On 7/1/21 Gus will be a UFA.  Illegal 3rd-party tampering could happen with a Seattle represenative contacting Gus' agent prior to 7/1/21 and then have a 'telephone handshake agreement' for a contract. 

Assuming Gus has played very well for AV's team, and our Flyers want Gus back for a multi-year 'stay' contract, and assuming Gus likes it here, Fletcher could 'pay' Gus with a new contract. All this without losing him in the Expansion Draft. <<

Actually, with the new NHL dates associated with the 56-game season, the new UFA date is July 28, not June 1.

Therefore I should have said:

Fletcher was wise with the signing of Gus for 1 season. He will be a UFA on July 28. As a pending UFA, the Kraken will not select him. If it is a successful season for Gus, we can assume Fletcher and Gus' agent will have a 'handshake agreement' to then execute after the Expansion Draft.

Instead of looking at losing an excellent defenceman in Niskanen, who complements/protects Provorov, and saying 'Gustafsson doesn't replace Niskenen' -

- - can we say that actually now 'Provorov replaces Niskanen and the skilled Gustafsson replaces Provorov' in role for that pair?

The subject won't go away.

Can we help Winnipeg with their Cap problem?   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I know, I'm opening this can-of-worms again.

STATUS QUO FOR LAINE AND JETS

DECEMBER 28, 2020 | 9:53AM ET
THEFOURTHPERIOD.COM

With the Winnipeg Jets set to start their training camp in six days, there does not appear to be any change as it relates to star winger Patrik Laine’s desire for a change of scenery, TFP has learned.

As TFP reported in mid-September, the Jets have been taking calls on Laine, who has not formally requested a trade, but his agents told TSN one month later both their client and the Jets would benefit from a move.

Several teams have expressed some level of interest in Laine over the last two off-seasons, including the Anaheim Ducks, Montreal Canadiens, New York Islanders, Carolina Hurricanes, Los Angeles Kings and Philadelphia Flyers. It is unclear if talks with any of those teams are currently ongoing.

While a trade out of Winnipeg is preferred, a transaction before the start of the regular-season on January 13 might not be in the cards unless Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff finds a package he deems acceptable. So far, talks have lingered.

The Jets are currently almost $700,000 over the $81.5 million salary cap with restricted free agent forward Jack Roslovic still unsigned. Winnipeg can exceed the cap by just over $5.291 million by placing Bryan Little on LTIR on Jan. 13.

image.jpeg.b1ea4a6a7cef36d753efb064c0dd3f7c.jpeg  Philadelphia Flyers TRADE For Patrik Laine? They're Trying—Winnipeg Jets  NHL News, Trade Rumors 2021 - YouTube

13 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Can we help Winnipeg with their Cap problem?  

Sure after someone helps the Flyers with theirs.

2.2 mill in capspace doesn't leave a lot to work with.

Especially when you consider performance boususes that don't hit till the year end and you don't want any overages penalties simply because you didn't save space for them.

• Like 2

Ivan Provorov

Very unusual open interview with Provy. And revealing. Amazing stuff - - gotta love this guy.

Nasty Knuckles Podcast: Episode 3 with Ivan Provorov, Philadelphia Flyers Star Defenceman

Dec 28, 2020

Edited by Zzeke