Round 1: Flyers vs Canadiens Thread

pilldoc

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@CoachX

Mojo1917 just Michael Jack Schmidt'd here by quoting Mojo1917.

You're not telling me anything I don't know.

I do appreciate your thoughts on the lack of ice time. I hope the message was received in a similar way to the way Gallagher received and acted upon learning his "lesson". 

funny you mentioned Scmidt, he was on my mind while discussing this issue

. my all time favorite

i hope G responds. im not feeling good about it

• Like 2

6 hours ago, trevluk said:

A la "The shift" against Crosby. Imagine what kind of fire that would light in this team if they saw that from their captain.

I have been saying that for years .......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Philadelphia’s Matt Niskanen will have a hearing today for Cross-checking Montreal’s Brendan Gallagher.

Well i guess he'll because the smurf fell and well he has his stick at the normal position but they will sit him and let Jespri play.

https://www.nhl.com/news/montreal-canadiens-brendan-gallagher-status/c-318655296

Gallagher out for Canadiens in Game 6, rest of Eastern First Round

Forward broke jaw in win against Flyers; Montreal facing elimination

we shall see what happens

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/montreal-canadiens-brendan-gallagher-status/c-318655296

Suspended one game.Could have been worse he is a Flyer now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

So even in the explanation video he clearly says Gallagher cross checked him (no arm went up) first right before Niskanen responded.

https://www.nhl.com/news/flyers-niskanen-suspended-one-game/c-318659742

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So even in the explanation video he clearly says Gallagher cross checked him (no arm went up) first right before Niskanen responded.

https://www.nhl.com/news/flyers-niskanen-suspended-one-game/c-318659742

The refs didn't think either one of the cross checks was worthy of a penalty let alone a suspension.  

The Myers crosscheck was more worthy of suspension than this one.  Once again, the NHL discipline is based on the result  instead of the action.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I have no clue what the criteria is for that statistic.  It could be statistically inaccurate like the +/- stat.

Makes me feel more justified about what i was watching and thinking...he needs to sit...or deployed better at least.

Giroux on the half wall isn't working. Has not worked in years actually. Defenders know he is not going to shoot, so they can go about their business of blocking passing lanes. They can also crowd Proverov at the point and prepare for the inevitable pass to him. Provs is an excellent an D man..but his lateral movement is not great. Lateral movement at the point creates clear shots and or passing lanes. We need Ghost at the point and somebody besides G that will shoot!!

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Go figure.

Not to mention the traditional whining about Niskanen's suspension. Hearing Damphousse, Carbonneau & co. almost thriving for the death penalty was a pain in the a$$ to hear and quite disappointing from former 1000+ NHL games and SC champs. This and the fact that they are so unlucky to hit so many times the post or the crossbar. I'm surprised they haven't used the "tired" excuse yet.

Please send them back to their studies tonight.

11 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Matt Niskanen is now my all time favorite Flyer

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Lateral movement at the point creates clear shots and or passing lanes. We need Ghost at the point and somebody besides G that will shoot!!

Been saying this for quite awhile now.  If Ghost is in the lineup there's no way Provorov should be running the PP.  Provorov is machine like and very predictable.  You know if he's moving to his left and there's no shooting lane he's passing the puck to the half wall.  Makes him easy to defend and the entire PP very predictable.  Take away the point shot, then collapse down and defend against the half wall.

With Ghost, you have no idea what he's going to do.  If he's moving to his left with the puck and there's no shooting lane, he's going to cut back right, shoot off his wrong foot while doing so, pass left, pass right... he's so difficult to defend because he is creative and has the quickness to do it in the blink of an eye.

Yes, Ghost is not great defensively, but he's not horrible.  He's exactly what the PP needs.

• Like 1

@eleven24

I think Ghost's shot is better too.

I think he's more accurate and his shot is heavier than Provorov's.

Unless there is something we don't know to look for, that's entirely possible, it seems like a no-brainer if Ghost is in the line up he should be on PP 1.

I wonder if he's in the line up though?

Does AV go with Friedman ( a right hander) have him play with Provorov? that keeps 2 pairs the same and most importantly to me, keeps Myers and Tall Travis together. 

I don't know what I'd think about a Myers-Provorov top pair, they could potentially play 30 minutes. But then you're still having 2 "unfamiliar " d-pairings. I also don't know how much having the rightie/lefty thing matters to the coaches.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

Been saying this for quite awhile now.  If Ghost is in the lineup there's no way Provorov should be running the PP.  Provorov is machine like and very predictable.  You know if he's moving to his left and there's no shooting lane he's passing the puck to the half wall.  Makes him easy to defend and the entire PP very predictable.  Take away the point shot, then collapse down and defend against the half wall.

With Ghost, you have no idea what he's going to do.  If he's moving to his left with the puck and there's no shooting lane, he's going to cut back right, shoot off his wrong foot while doing so, pass left, pass right... he's so difficult to defend because he is creative and has the quickness to do it in the blink of an eye.

Yes, Ghost is not great defensively, but he's not horrible.  He's exactly what the PP needs.

I wish Niskanen didn't have to sit then they could sit Braun and go with Ghost and Hagg as the bottom pair.

The good thing is Niskanen has not been so good this playoff run up until this point.

Braun has been very hard to watch his lack of speed seems to be accentuated vs the Canadiens.

If the Flyers don't figure how to put some pucks in that big net with the red pipes around it they won't last long vs the Bruins anyways.

I like Friedman's game too and i know AV wouldn't do it but i would sit Braun and even play him in his spot.

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think he's more accurate and his shot is heavier than Provorov's.

Provy has a very nasty wrister the problem is he doesn't seem to want to use it...he prefers the slow wind up give em time to get in the lane slapper.

That to me is where the lack of creativity comes in but he isn't alone most of them don't trust their wrist shots but when they get some traffic down low that is what the need so someone can pounce on the rebounds...because Price does spit em out from time to time.

• Like 1