Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't remember Lindros not showing up in the playoffs. In fact I know he didn't go 26 games with only one goal. Back then the main problem was the team had only one dominant line and Brindy.

I don’t mean he didn’t show up for playoffs, I meant he really wasn’t captain material. He wasnt that dominant type of personality that makes a great leader, he was a little to laid back. There were other players on the team who were better suited to be the captain. There was already enough pressure on him to be the answer for the franchise and to just win, he didn’t need the added pressure of captain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wade Allison is the power forward they need with a deadly shot but he is a year or two away because he needs some seasoning in the AHL and some time to put some more muscle on his 6-2 frame. I hope they don't rush him due to their need now.

Allison is definitely an old school Flyer type of player with good hands and a goal scorers mentality. If he didn’t miss almost two full seasons with injuries , he would probably be ready for the NHL right now. Rubstov is another guy who got set back with injuries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

I don’t mean he didn’t show up for playoffs, I meant he really wasn’t captain material

hard to be this when you are plowing a teammates wife

Edited by CoachX
  • Uggh... 1

wash...rinse...repeat 

We have now regressed back to discussing players who will save this team, but are a few seasons away. Of course by that time, our keys players now will be older and on decline. The only thing left is for us to strip the "c" and give to a young guy who doing nothing more than performing well, NOW (ala Richards/Giroux)

This current line up seems eerily like the line up we had with Richards/Carter. Lots of talent but cant perform on the big stage or get us over the hump. Not to mention the suggestions that the lackluster play is attributed to mental distractions

the Flyers have good coaching, and a true number 1 goalie. A good formula imo. I do question what the **** is going on with that joke of a power play, though.

The defense is young and solid. This too is a good formula. However, there must be moves up front. Coots, Hayes, TK, Farabee, NAK (i guess), and Pitlick would be the core I'd keep for the future.

Giroux might be useful as a third line player. If so, maybe he keeps the C. However, that job might be better off filled by Hayes, Coots, or Provy

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

I am not saying don't move them; I probably would try.

I am saying that I wouldn't assume this move would immediately make them better.

it's going to make them worse if you dont because they are not be same players and then we are going to talking about lottery options and not playoff expectations next year. it's great we played well this year but you cant let it fool you either because everything can go backwards next year, that's why we have to upgrade in the offseason by getting rid of big contracts for picks and bringing in either top talent players by trading some of the prospects or focus on depth on forwards and d from fa and trading for them.

So G, V, and JVR are players who aren't performing up to snuff AND no other team knows this AND the Flyer's are going to be able to get picks and prospects back AND the Flyers are going to be able to trade the picks and prospects for NHL ready top talent.

Whether or not I want this to happen, I don't see this happening.  And if they are able to move them, who is going play on the first line?  Konecny appears to be more of a second line player at this point.  He's going to love seeing the other team's #1 line and D every night.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

I don’t mean he didn’t show up for playoffs, I meant he really wasn’t captain material. He wasnt that dominant type of personality that makes a great leader, he was a little to laid back. There were other players on the team who were better suited to be the captain. There was already enough pressure on him to be the answer for the franchise and to just win, he didn’t need the added pressure of captain.

Should have been Brindy.

36 minutes ago, CoachX said:

We have now regressed back to discussing players who will save this team

Not sure where you get that my comment about Allison was about him filling a hole/slot as a power forward who can fill net.

I don't believe in any one player saving a team.

Ask McDavid. However it takes a collective group to work together in unison to achieve a goal of winning the Cup.

Everyone on the same page working within the system and doing their best to work hard and eliminate mistakes as much as possible and that means everyone from the top line forwards down to the bottom 6 role players.

As well as all the defenceman to the backup goalie. Everyone. It's not easy as we can attest too. Will this club ever get there again in my life time? Not sure.

22 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Having said all this, I do think they need to make changes.  I just think it might make them worse in the short run and maybe even in the medium run.

Ok so be it we have waited 8 years for them to barely win a round of playoffs (thank God it was vs a 12th seed.)

What is another year going to do?

Or would you rather hold on to this collection of under performing aging core and maybe make the playoffs next year (and get bounced in the first round) or who knows miss the playoffs all together and still be stuck with these clowns and then they'll also be a year older?

We can live in fear of what might happen. 

You have to make a decision and live with it and try and retool while trying to be competitive.

It isn't an exact science but you have to strike while the iron is hot.

But just for example would you think it be easier to trade a 32 year old Giroux or a 33 year old one going in 34?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure where you get that my comment about Allison was about him filling a hole/slot as a power forward who can fill net.

I don't believe in any one player saving a team.

Ask McDavid. However it takes a collective group to work together in unison to achieve a goal of winning the Cup.

Everyone on the same page working within the system and doing their best to work hard and eliminate mistakes as much as possible and that means everyone from the top line forwards down to the bottom 6 role players.

As well as all the defenceman to the backup goalie. Everyone. It's not easy as we can attest too. Will this club ever get there again in my life time? Not sure.

I was being overly dramatic....for effect

• Good Post 1

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok so be it we have waited 8 years for them to barely win a round of playoffs (thank God it was vs a 12th seed.)

What is another year going to do?

Or would you rather hold on to this collection of under performing aging core and maybe make the playoffs next year (and get bounced in the first round) or who knows miss the playoffs all together and still be stuck with these clowns and then they'll also be a year older?

We can live in fear of what might happen. 

You have to make a decision and live with it and try and retool while trying to be competitive.

It isn't an exact science but you have to strike while the iron is hot.

But just for example would you think it be easier to trade a 32 year old Giroux or a 33 year old one going in 34?

Im totally agreeing

my outlook: You start with a proven coach. DONE

Add a true number 1 goalie. DONE

Build a defense in front of him, with a stud number 1. DONE

Build through draft. DONE

now you let the coach and GM, move the parts that no longer work and replace them with players the coach can develop into a winning team. IN PROGRESS

drink copious amounts of bourbon, which you trust, to sustain fan base while the process is being developed

Disclaimer: bourbon consumption while waiting for this team to be successful can lead to alcoholism

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

now you let the coach and GM, move the parts that no longer work and replace them with players the coach can develop into a winning team. IN PROGRESS

Yes. And now AV will have a full year and playoff run under his belt to give Chuckles the feedback he needs to further access the situation.

Guys I don't want back:

Braun

Thompson

Grant

JVR

I have seen enough of those guys to know it is time to find other replacements for them weather it is younger prospects who can take next year to learn on the job or though free agent replacements.

The tougher decisions:

Giroux

Voracek

Laughton

Raffl

Ghost

Hagg

Elliott

Chuckles has his work cut out for him.

• Like 2

I have only one desire for today's game which I know we are going to lose: battle, be physical and hit somebody. The last game in particular was pathetic: not one finished check, being out muscled by smaller players, losing battles all over the ice. Be proud of the orange jersey and play like a proper Flyers team. That's all I want.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

but none of them are game breakers.  

That's it right there.  There isn't one player on the Flyers who when he has the puck is dangerous.  Nobody who when he has the puck you believe he's going to make something happen.  Nobody who you're counting down the shifts until he's back on the ice again.  The last guy I felt like that about was Ghost from a few years ago, but I'd hardly call him a game breaker. 

Patrick had 90 goals in 160 games in the WHL.  Could he have been that game breaker?  Frost was 100 in 190 games in the OHL.  Could he be a game breaker?   

For the first time in awhile though I saw a flash of the old Giroux in game 4.  Hoping we get a bit more of that tonight.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes. And now AV will have a full year and playoff run under his belt to give Chuckles the feedback he needs to further access the situation.

Guys I don't want back:

Braun

Thompson

Grant

JVR

I have seen enough of those guys to know it is time to find other replacements for them weather it is younger prospects who can take next year to learn on the job or though free agent replacements.

The tougher decisions:

Giroux

Voracek

Laughton

Raffl

Ghost

Hagg

Elliott

Chuckles has his work cut out for him.

Easy decisions for me: braun, thompson, grant, jvr, laughton, raffl, voracek

As for ghost, the talent is there.  He can skate, he can shoot, he does a helluva job keeping the puck in the zone in the pp. Why cant one of these uber skilled coaches, get him back up to speed?

2 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

For the first time in awhile though I saw a flash of the old Giroux in game 4

i love how he is constaly diving all over the ice to keep a puck in the zone, or keep a play alive

I havent seen it ever work in a positive way, but its damned amusing

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

the Flyers have good coaching, and a true number 1 goalie. A good formula imo. I do question what the **** is going on with that joke of a power play, though.

The defense is young and solid. This too is a good formula. However, there must be moves up front. Coots, Hayes, TK, Farabee, NAK (i guess), and Pitlick would be the core I'd keep for the future.

Giroux might be useful as a third line player. If so, maybe he keeps the C. However, that job might be better off filled by Hayes, Coots, or Provy

The PP is filled with all of our struggling top players.  Perhaps changing personnel up a bit will get it going, even if they're not your most skilled players.  Perhaps swapping out 2 of the 5 on the PP might inject a bit more hunger.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Just now, eleven24 said:

The PP is filled with all of our struggling top players.  Perhaps changing personnel up a bit will get it going, even if they're not your most skilled players.  Perhaps swapping out 2 of the 5 on the PP might inject a bit more hunger.

and that second unit?

The most frustrating part of all of this is that I know that what we're seeing is not the team we saw for the better part of the regular season.  Not even close.  There was true reason to believe this team was/is something special in the making -- and I still believe that.  

Honestly, deep down I know guys like G and Voracek are a bridge to the future.  Still, I'd like to see G rewarded with a legit run before his time here is done.

• Like 1