Brian Burke and Ron Hextall take charge of Penguins

yave1964

The Penguins were pursuing Hextall since the sudden retirement of Rutherford a few weeks ago, so it is no surprise that he has beenchosen as the new GM of the Penguins but the shocker is that Brian Burke has been tabbed as the new President of the team.

Hextall is an ideal fit and as an agressive GM should do well with the Pens as they fight to stay relevant with aging stars.

As for Burke, all that i can say is it is a tremendous thing for me as I will no longer have to lsiten to the damn fool anymore on television spouting homerisms about the Leafs on Hockey Central.

• Thanks 1
  • Uggh... 1

Just now, pilldoc said:

The Pens of all teams .....SMH.  How could Hexy go the pens! 

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

Not even a Flyer fan but agreed, I know he played a few minutes for the Nordiques and the Isles but to me I cannot picture him as anything but a Flyer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

The Pens of all teams .....SMH.  How could Hexy go the pens! 

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

Hextall doesn't owe the Flyers anything.  Remember,  when Hextall was fired, Holmgren went into his office and told him things weren't working and fired him. It was a 20 second conversation at the most.  The Flyers organization basically crapped on him and tossed him out. Now,  Hextall refused to fire Hakstol and it's clear that he was digging in his heels and that kind of insubordination deserved some sort of rebuke, but they treated Ron poorly. You don't treat an employee like that. The Flyers kind of brought this on themselves. 

• Like 4

This should be an interesting combination.

From what I recall, Hextall was all about building from within, building with young players, and a patient approach (much to the chagrin of some in Philadelphia)....whereas Burke is more "win now" (and he stumbled on more than one occasion), as evidenced by his time in Toronto and Vancouver.
Although, wasn't it also Burke who was in charge while Calgary did that nice rebuild?

Anyways.... Hextall was called out for not being much of a people person....micro managing even.
Will Burke and Hextall mesh in Pittsburgh?

Also, the Penguins don't have the feel of a team that wants to rebuild.
Not with mileage left on guys like Malkin, Crosby, or Letang.
Hextall's approach in Philly doesn't look like it would fly (no pun intended) with the Penguins.

This is something that will be very interesting moving forward, watching two guys in charge of a major NHL market, with seemingly differing views on how to build a team, and whether they can get anything more out of the current core before deciding it may be time for a new one.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Hextall doesn't owe the Flyers anything.  Remember,  when Hextall was fired, Holmgren went into his office and told him things weren't working and fired him. It was a 20 second conversation at the most.  The Flyers organization basically crapped on him and tossed him out. Now,  Hextall refused to fire Hakstol and it's clear that he was digging in his heels and that kind of insubordination deserved some sort of rebuke, but they treated Ron poorly. You don't treat an employee like that. The Flyers kind of brought this on themselves.

Oh you are absolutely right ..... but of all teams he had to go to ...the Pens.  Good for Hexy to be able to move on .....

And here I thought 2020 was insane...

"It's an honor to be joining the Pittsburgh Penguins - an organization well-known for its excellence on and off the ice," Hextall said. "I look forward to working with ownership, Brian and the entire organization toward the ultimate goal of bringing another Stanley Cup to Pittsburgh."

3 minutes ago, B21 said:

And here I thought 2020 was insane...

"It's an honor to be joining the Pittsburgh Penguins - an organization well-known for its excellence on and off the ice," Hextall said. "I look forward to working with ownership, Brian and the entire organization toward the ultimate goal of bringing another Stanley Cup to Pittsburgh."

To use a wrestling term.... Pens fans say Hexy has turned "face".
Of course, Philly fans would say he has turned "heel" :bigteeth:

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The Penguins were pursuing Hextall since the sudden retirement of Rutherford a few weeks ago, so it is no surprise that he has beenchosen as the new GM of the Penguins but the shocker is that Brian Burke has been tabbed as the new President of the team.

Hextall is an ideal fit and as an agressive GM should do well with the Pens as they fight to stay relevant with aging stars.

As for Burke, all that i can say is it is a tremendous thing for me as I will no longer have to lsiten to the damn fool anymore on television spouting homerisms about the Leafs on Hockey Central.

I actually like the hire a lot. I know "win now" wasn't his M.O. in Philly but that's because the situation there at the time (should have) dictated more patience.  I think he and Burke could be a good mix. You don't bring in guys like that and then meddle with them. I don't think Hextall takes the job if he feels that he'll get that kind of a raw deal.  That said, one of the big rumors as to why JRGM retired was because he wanted to deal Letang and "management" (read the tea leaves there) said "no" so who knows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Now he can help bring some "truculence" to the Penguins lol.  

I honestly can't believe he was allowed back in Toronto.  Burke is the guy who brought Kessel and Phaneuf to Toronto on those ridiculous contracts.  

6 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This should be an interesting combination.

From what I recall, Hextall was all about building from within, building with young players, and a patient approach (much to the chagrin of some in Philadelphia)....whereas Burke is more "win now" (and he stumbled on more than one occasion), as evidenced by his time in Toronto and Vancouver.
Although, wasn't it also Burke who was in charge while Calgary did that nice rebuild?

Anyways.... Hextall was called out for not being much of a people person....micro managing even.
Will Burke and Hextall mesh in Pittsburgh?

Also, the Penguins don't have the feel of a team that wants to rebuild.
Not with mileage left on guys like Malkin, Crosby, or Letang.
Hextall's approach in Philly doesn't look like it would fly (no pun intended) with the Penguins.

This is something that will be very interesting moving forward, watching two guys in charge of a major NHL market, with seemingly differing views on how to build a team, and whether they can get anything more out of the current core before deciding it may be time for a new one.

Just now, Icechipper said:

Hextall too veered out of his lane with his nose in players diet, fitness, lots of rules. Burke will not tolerate micromanagement and can protect Hextall from ownership interference. Crosby, Malkin et all don't need to be told how to eat and train by the GM. People have been hired for those things.. 

13 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Had to research. Hextall was born in Brandon, Manitoba, but spent part of his youth in Pittsburgh. Has said he hated the Broad Street Bullies for beating on Bryan Hextall Jr. and his Pens teammates...

Yup. His old man played there. They lived in a neighborhood where a lot of athletes lived at that time. He used to play street hockey with Pirates' greats Manny Sanguillen and Rennie Stennet.  Rutherford was actually a Pens' netminder at the time and befriended him and apparently encouraged him to try goalie. Go figure. Shame on me for not knowing this. TSN (Seravalli) wrote a column on it.

https://www.tsn.ca/heat-is-on-new-pittsburgh-penguins-hires-ron-hextall-brian-burke-to-win-now-1.1590562

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 2:02 PM, yave1964 said:

@B21

Wherethehellyabeen??

Glad to see you back in here

@yave1964

@pilldoc

Thanks!!

As you can see - I have a lot less free time on my hands.  Kids, man. Not just any kids but boys. Had a herd of boys within a few years of each other hit the age where they are in constant motion, start playing sports, double their food intake but yet can't completely brush their teeth, bathe and, for that matter, properly wipe their arses.  Slowing emerging from that neanderthal phase.

Not in the 'Burgh anymore either. Moved mid-pandemic to that hockey hot bed Atlanta.  I'm going to try and get back into the swings of things.  

Hopefully, I can keep up appearances here. :)

Edited by B21
  • Like 4