Claude Julien fired in Montreal

yave1964

Wow that was quick.

After being the toast of the NHL to start the year in which every new addition from Jake Allen to Tyler Toffoli to Josh anderson, Joel Edmundson and Alexander Romanov all seemed to be smash success they have fallen into a six game losing streak that cost coach Claude Julien and assistant Kirk Muller their jobs. They have been replaced by assistant Domingue Ducharme on an interim basis.

Ducharme is a long time Quebec Junior coach who graduated to the NHL a couple of years ago joining the staff as an assistant of the Habs, how long he coaches is up in the air. The rumor is that long time GM Marc Bergevin who is in his 10th season running the club which is a lifetime for a team that hasnt won anything is possibly on the way out as well. 

Firing Muller quite honestly was a bit of a surprise as i read just yesterday that he was a possible repalcement for Julien if the axe should fall. 

This was Juliens second tour with Montreal, he currently sits 13th all time in coaching wins and he won a cup with the Bruins in 2011. I was running on the bike trail listening to hockey podcasts and heard the rumor already that he is going to be in the running for the inaugural coaching job with the Kraken which I seriously doubt.

Last night was the third consecutive Hab game which I watched more or less from start to finish and quite honestly i thought they played a pretty solid overall game. Tkachuk torched them a few times, Price seems to be battling himself which he seems to do a couple of times a year but Weber played his best game of the year (by far) they gave up considerably less 2 on 2 or 2 on 1 chances the other way and I have to wonder if Toronto had ruled no goalie interference on the disallowed Gallagher goal and they had gutted that one out in regulation instead of losing in overtime if he would still have a job today.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

After being the toast of the NHL to start the year in which every new addition from Jake Allen to Tyler Toffoli to Josh anderson, Joel Edmundson and Alexander Romanov all seemed to be smash success they have fallen into a six game losing streak that cost coach Claude Julien and assistant Kirk Muller their jobs. They have been replaced by assistant Domingue Ducharme on an interim basis.

People seem to forget that this team "missed" the playoffs last season.  Had the season run to completion, Toronto or Florida were a lock to get in, and Montreal was eliminated from playoff contention. They were a BAD team last season. They had to rely on a ridiculous technicality (24-team playoff) to get in, and then managed to fake their way in during a best-of-5 after the restart. 

Coming into this season, it was always going to be Toronto, Edmonton, and Calgary challenging for #1 in the North division. I never thought for a minute that Montreal was for real. They played over their heads to start the season. This recent losing streak is the correction now taking place. Firing the coach won't make any difference for them short term or long term. 

:) 

• Like 1

That's curious, I lost a bit of track. A couple of days ago I was sure having heard Petry for the Norris, Romanov for the Calder, Toffoli for the Art-Ross and the whole team as first-place contender for cup... Those versatile fans clients.

Where the Habs missed a unique opportunity: trading Price when it was still possible to do so, especially for Tavares when he was at his last year of contract with the Isles. Now they are stuck with the most overrated, expensive, cocky and arrogant goalie in the league, untradeable, unmovable, a real liability who has the key of the whole organization for the remaining years of his albatross deal.

(Bowness should have been fired 23 times meanwhile...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would love to swing a trade for this kid since it seems they are so high on him and he has already stated he would like to be traded.

Interesting you bring that up....

Whether it's Marc Bergevin still as the GM or a replacement at some point during the season, that person best beware of the past, lest they be doomed to repeat it, as it were.

Remember Montreal wanting a center sooooo bad that they gave up young up n coming Mikhail Sergachev to the Lightning for Jonathan Drouin?
Yea.... Bolts took that deal and ran off like they stole someone's car...because they did.

Serge is an excellent defenseman who can play in many types of situations, is a brick house hitter with a bit of a mean streak, a nice blue line shot, and actual skating skills that allow him to create scoring lanes or find open wingers.....and at just 22, he will only get BETTER!

Drouin is....well, a nice winger (not center as the Habs thought), who has time to improve, but so far, is mostly just an 'OK' forward to this point.

Do the Habs want to give up on Romanov who actually has some of the same qualities as Sergachev for another Drouin 2.0?
Of course not....but if they aren't careful, that's EXACTLY what they may end up doing.

If ANY team out there has a middling or even good winger/center that they can afford to part with, and Montreal is DEAD SET on trading Romanov, they best do like the Lightning and smash 'accept', then run off into the night!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Wow that was quick.

Ducharme is a long time Quebec Junior coach who graduated to the NHL a couple of years ago joining the staff as an assistant of the Habs, how long he coaches is up in the air. The rumor is that long time GM Marc Bergevin who is in his 10th season running the club which is a lifetime for a team that hasnt won anything is possibly on the way out as well. 

Firing Muller quite honestly was a bit of a surprise as i read just yesterday that he was a possible repalcement for Julien if the axe should fall. 

This was Juliens second tour with Montreal, he currently sits 13th all time in coaching wins and he won a cup with the Bruins in 2011. I was running on the bike trail listening to hockey podcasts and heard the rumor already that he is going to be in the running for the inaugural coaching job with the Kraken which I seriously doubt.

Last night was the third consecutive Hab game which I watched more or less from start to finish and quite honestly i thought they played a pretty solid overall game. Tkachuk torched them a few times, Price seems to be battling himself which he seems to do a couple of times a year but Weber played his best game of the year (by far) they gave up considerably less 2 on 2 or 2 on 1 chances the other way and I have to wonder if Toronto had ruled no goalie interference on the disallowed Gallagher goal and they had gutted that one out in regulation instead of losing in overtime if he would still have a job today.

I'm with you on the "Wow" part, Yave.

I know the pressure cooker in Montreal is tremendous, and I figured Julian would be on the hot seat at some point if this continued, but even I thought this is kinda quick.

I also agree with those who thought Montreal was playing over their heads.
Part of me thought the same, but then, after seeing them play early on, I also thought I was mistaken.

Given the state of the whole North division, Montreal could possibly have stayed near the top.... in the original Atlantic Division, with the regular division rivals, that would have been another matter altogether..........same with Toronto, BTW....I don't think the Leafs seat top spot in the regular Atlantic, but that is neither here nor there for this thread.

But back to the Habs...yea, I don't see how replacing Claude Julien NOW makes a difference.
Unless the FO felt the locker room had tuned him out.
Honestly seems to me that its the PLAYERS that gotta look themselves in the mirror and figure out why they don't have the same compete level they did early on.

There is actually LOTS of nice talent in Montreal.
Solid vets up n down the lineup, good up n comers, and of course, a good goalie tandem in Price and Allen.
I don't know what the deal is, but it will be interesting to see if a new coach 'wakes' them up...if that is what is needed...or whether the team goes further down the spiral.

And then we have GM Marc Bergevin. The architect of the team.
Further down means the axe for Bergevin for sure, I would think.

Toronto may very well run away with the division, be the President's Trophy winners this season, go into the playoffs as THE odds on favorite to win it all...... then get swept four straight games by the Flames, Oilers, or Jets in the first round :bigteeth: (I thought I saw this movie somewhere before... lol).

And the Leafs will have the Habs to blame...for not being competitive enough to keep Toronto honest.  :rolleyes:

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well I meant to say NOT so high on him but I f**ked up.

:bigteeth:

Haha...I kinda knew what you meant.
Which is why I brought up the Sergachev thing.

Unless Habs management is actually paying attention, they gonna repeat the mistake.  

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Haha...I kinda knew what you meant.
Which is why I brought up the Sergachev thing.

Unless Habs management is actually paying attention, they gonna repeat the mistake.  

Sergachev is a very good example.

I am hoping to take advantage of them again I hope they aren't reading this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would love to swing a trade for this kid since it seems they are so high on him and he has already stated he would like to be traded.

sign me up.  Get'er done.

(can he play quarterback?)

Edited by ruxpin

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Toronto may very well run away with the division, be the President's Trophy winners this season, go into the playoffs as THE odds on favorite to win it all......

❤️  🥰  🍷

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

then get swept four straight games by the Flames, Oilers, or Jets in the first round :bigteeth:

💔  😩  💣

Every time I think I've made a be-leaf-er out of you, you break my heart lol!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

❤️  🥰  🍷

💔  😩  💣

Every time I think I've made a be-leaf-er out of you, you break my heart lol!

That was one hell of an entertaining post. Well done, sir; well done. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

People seem to forget that this team "missed" the playoffs last season.  Had the season run to completion, Toronto or Florida were a lock to get in, and Montreal was eliminated from playoff contention. They were a BAD team last season. They had to rely on a ridiculous technicality (24-team playoff) to get in, and then managed to fake their way in during a best-of-5 after the restart. 

Coming into this season, it was always going to be Toronto, Edmonton, and Calgary challenging for #1 in the North division. I never thought for a minute that Montreal was for real. They played over their heads to start the season. This recent losing streak is the correction now taking place. Firing the coach won't make any difference for them short term or long term. 

:) 

If I'm the Leafs, I'm calling Peter Dorion every 20 minutes trying to get Brady Tkachuk, until he blocks my front office's Caller ID. Then, I'd start calling him from burner phones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1