What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

On 6/1/2021 at 11:53 AM, mojo1917 said:

add a legit top pairing player to the defensive mix

I would say he is top pairing possibility but they may want to kick the tires on Brandon Montour this offseason to.

Once of course the dust settles on the expansion draft hoopla. 

He could be a nice cheap addition and maybe push Braun to the 7th or 8th option (which i would prefer).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would say he is top pairing possibility but they may want to kick the tires on Brandon Montour this offseason to.

Once of course the dust settles on the expansion draft hoopla. 

He could be a nice cheap addition and maybe push Braun to the 7th or 8th option (which i would prefer).

I want someone who has won.

I know he's like 57 years old, but trade for Duncan Keith.   He will not play top pair, but he will be the "been there, done that" voice.

Danny Orlov, Justin Schultz --- maybe

None are terribly expensive.  I don't think any (maybe Keith) would be top pair.  But reasonable cap hits and bring in someone who has won.

It wouldn't  have  to be a cup winner.  It could be someone who has gone deep in the playoffs, but the winner would be preferrable.

Same thing for the forward lines.    We have exactly no one on the team that has experienced success.  We have losers and newbies learning to lose from the best.damned.losers.ever.

If you want to change the culture, inject some of what you're looking to achieve.   Then let the others learn and emulate.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

None are terribly expensive. 

Keith is a left hand shot and has 2 more years at 5.5 mill. And will be 38 next year. Not sure how much better he can be than even Braun...the other two Orlov has two year left at 5.1 mill and also a left hand shot.  

Schultz has one year at 4 mill would be a slight upgrade over Braun. I guess if i had to choose from these 3 i would take Schultz then.

But for what??

A 6th or 7th rounder is all i can give up for a soon to be 31 year old bottom pair defenseman.

Maybe they do this to free up some $$$$$ to resign Ovenchicken.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Keith is a left hand shot and has 2 more years at 5.5 mill. And will be 38 next year. Not sure how much better he can be than even Braun...the other two Orlov has two year left at 5.1 mill and also a left hand shot.  

Schultz has one year at 4 mill would be a slight upgrade over Braun. I guess if i had to choose from these 3 i would take Schultz then.

But for what??

A 6th or 7th rounder is all i can give up for a soon to be 31 year old bottom pair defenseman.

Maybe they do this to free up some $$$$$ to resign Ovenchicken.

Yeah, maybe.  I also never thought they'd trade Nisko for Gudas, so...

But the point here is that I don't need them to be better.   I need them to have a winning pedigree.  Braun does not have that.  He came from a team with a history of failure in the face of success.  Fits right in with the Flyers, actually.   Schultz and Orlov don't strike me as the "won as the core elsewhere" group, but *maybe Orlov.   He at least won in two different stops.

But the whole point is the pedigree and history thing.   We have enough talent.  What we don't have is any idea what it looks like to win.  Or what it looks like to overcome obstacles.    Our entire team--hell, our entire organization--sees adversity the team panics and folds.  The front office doesn't even realize there's an obstacle.   We need some players (and FO) that recognize obstacles and know they can be overcome because they have.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But the whole point is the pedigree and history thing. 

I is why i said pick up the phone and call Armstrong and see what he would want for Parakyo.

I maybe less than Jarmo would want to trade Jones to a rival. Parakyo has the pedigree and still some gas in the tank.

He may be a nice tandem for Ivan. There are several options and if you are going to move assets instead of just signing Hamilton or Savard for nothing but a contract well leave no rock unturned get the best bang for the buck.

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I is why i said pick up the phone and call Armstrong and see what he would want for Parakyo.

I maybe less than Jarmo would want to trade Jones to a rival. Parakyo has the pedigree and still some gas in the tank.

I missed this.  Yes, that would would for me as well.   Better than Orlov or Schultz, I think.   But they'd be my fallback.

I really like Hamilton, but I don't think he moves the needle.    Savard could be, too.

24 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really like Hamilton, but I don't think he moves the needle. 

I do too but at what price. You're going to bidding on the top right hand free agent.

Plus more than likely going to have to over pay (the Flyers have never done that before) to get him away from the Canes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I do too but at what price. You're going to bidding on the top right hand free agent.

Plus more than likely going to have to over pay (the Flyers have never done that before) to get him away from the Canes.

but what are they going to pay with, dogecoin? They dont have cap space....at the moment

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really like Hamilton, but I don't think he moves the needle.

I meant to add this on my last post they have about 27 mill plus to spend and no real big free agents to lock up really but Hamilton and Mcginn so i really don't expect him to hit the market unless he just wants to test it.

So then the next big free agent right hand D man will be Savard and not a whole left to choose from after that.

At 28 it will more than likely be Hamilton last chance to land a big contract. So if he doesn't even hit the market then what??

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CoachX said:

but what are they going to pay with, dogecoin? They dont have cap space....at the moment

I'm too old to know about those fancy methods....Chuckles better do his due diligence he screws this up he could be out a job this time next year.

:BrownBag:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I meant to add this on my last post they have about 27 mill plus to spend and no real big free agents to lock up really but Hamilton and Mcginn so i really don't expect him to hit the market unless he just wants to test it.

So then the next big free agent right hand D man will be Savard and not a whole left to choose from after that.

At 28 it will more than likely be Hamilton last chance to land a big contract. So if he doesn't even hit the market then what??

Then we need to go the route I'm mentioning.    At least, please don' t go for a pisspoor Gostisbehere clone who couldn't keep his job on a last place team!

I top pair dman would be nice, but I really don't think it's necessary.  I really do think they need to focus on the type I mentioned.   Same with Toronto, actually, and I posted similarly on that thread.

I am still higher (I said higher, not "high!") on what we have than most seem to be here.  I don't believe the problem is skill.  I think it's confidence and mostly mental.    So, start working on the culture, and the way to do that is to inject some people with winning backgrounds, not losers from loser teams (like Braun and Gus and JVR).

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think it's confidence and mostly mental.

Still disagree......

I think key players quit, could care less, and have created dissension within. The culture definitely needs a change. This can be done by jettisoning the cancers and sending a message

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So, start working on the culture, and the way to do that is to inject some people with winning backgrounds, not losers from loser teams (like Braun and Gus and JVR).

Yes i pray Seattle helps us out with one of the big 3 that need to go.

If they do then i would love to move one of the big 3 that is left....even if i have to pick up some salary i won't to feel like progress towards purging the roster of guys who have shown they aren't part of the solution.

Then the following season Hayes if need be has a list of list he can't be traded too but he can be moved if they need to move out another contract.

But first things first. The expansion draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

I think key players quit, could care less, and have created dissension within

That's certainly possible.  And I think likely, actually.

But that, too, (for me) goes to "confidence and mostly mental."

We have a core that is accustomed to losing, and apparently comfortable with that.   You saw an uptick last year when we had some people (one?) who had been around a winner (Nisko).   He leaves, and it's back to ShitFest-R-Us.

So, you don't necessarily have to move out to accomplish this.   Adding some smart pieces could do it.   

Also moving out someone like Voracek and/or JVR would help even further, I think.   And actually, the message the combination of those two things could send that "we're changing the culture here, and you're with us or you're not" would really be a good thing.

I don't think we actually disagree, @CoachX.   I think it's largely two sides of the same coin.  But yeah, I think a strategic subtraction would be a very good thing.  But I also think there is exactly no one on this team who has experienced winning.   Adding that player to emulate or learn from would be very beneficial.   I guess maybe neither by itself are enough and you need to do both.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Then the following season Hayes

I don't dislike Hayes like, say, @flyercanuck does.   I always have to pause at his opinions, though, because he's right more than not.

But Hayes wasn't bad until mid-season when he got hurt.    There was a noticeable difference.  So, I'm not ready to throw him, but I agree with your timeline with him.   And, really, I think we'll regret the end of his contract, so that would be a good time to really look into it.

• Like 1

Just now, ruxpin said:

I don't dislike Hayes like, say, @flyercanuck does.   I always have to pause at his opinions, though, because he's right more than not.

But Hayes wasn't bad until mid-season when he got hurt.    There was a noticeable difference.  So, I'm not ready to throw him, but I agree with your timeline with him.   And, really, I think we'll regret the end of his contract, so that would be a good time to really look into it.

I have to AGREE with this. We give passes to our favorite players and make up phantom injuries to explain away their poor performance. I thin giving Hayes another season to show it was the injury, is prudent

Unless he is high, which I suspect is the cse

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Oh i with you i think he is the least of their problems right now.

And even though he did seem to have a revolving door on both his wings for a guy who isn't fleet of feet he was 5th in scoring goal with 12 goals in 55 games is solid if not spectacular for 31 points which projects to about 46 points (which would have been his second best career total) which in his average and he did kill penalties.

But my point was there is an out that can be taken if need be.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1