2021 Playoffs are Basically Set: Here are your Playoff Teams

WordsOfWisdom

Listed are the teams along with their probability of making the playoffs according to sportsclubstats.com

NORTH

1. Toronto (100%)
  2. Winnipeg (99.9%)
  3. Montreal (99.6%)
  4. Edmonton (99.6%)

EAST

1. Washington (98.9%)
  2. NY Islanders (98.6%)
  3. Pittsburgh (98.3%)
  4. Boston (83.8%)

CENTRAL

1. Tampa (100%)
  2. Florida (100%)
  3. Carolina (100%)
  4. Dallas (46.5%)

WEST

1. Colorado (100%)
  2. Vegas (100%)
  3. Minnesota (99.9%)
  4. Arizona (56.9%)

Out of all the teams, there are basically THREE playoff spots still up for grabs. The Rangers could grab the final spot from Boston in the East, Nashville or Chicago could be in in the Central, and San Jose or LA may get in in the West. Otherwise, it's over.

Let's see what (if anything) changes on this list before May. :)

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was just thinking about that today. After a year of Covid isolation we finally see people in the parks enjoying a warm day, and we'll have a spring celebration of playoffs hockey, as it should be. The miserable year only exacerbates the greatness of hockey at its best.

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

I was just thinking about that today. After a year of Covid isolation we finally see people in the parks enjoying a warm day, and we'll have a spring celebration of playoffs hockey, as it should be. The miserable year only exacerbates the greatness of hockey at its best.

How are things in Finland?

Here in Canada we are still in covid lockdown.  People aren't allowed to gather in parks or anywhere else. The government still has a "stay at home" order in place.  :( 

4 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Here in Canada we are still in covid lockdown.  People aren't allowed to gather in parks or anywhere else. The government still has a "stay at home" order in place.  :( 

Ontario isn't Canada, man. Many of Premier Ford's decision have been... Umm... Odd.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

How are things in Finland?

It's opening up. Masks still obligatory, social distancing, but restaurants are opened again. And from the pics in the link under you'll see what it looks like in the town that is now celebrating the Championship of the Liiga. The first Championship for Rauman Lukko for 58 years :bluehockey:

https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-11926248

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Ontario isn't Canada, man. Many of Premier Ford's decision have been... Umm... Odd.

We're the center of the Canadian universe lol!  :P

(I give up figuring out how our politicians like to do things.) 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

We're the center of the Canadian universe lol!  :P

(I give up figuring out how our politicians like to do things.) 

I thought you were the centre.:ph34r:

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

Just now, Jimtown guy said:

Colorado is going to win it this year 

They'll have to prove that to me.
I haven't bought into the media hype for them
Same with Toronto.
Not saying they CAN'T win it all, but I think they are vastly overrated by many as far as being 'dominant' teams.
Hard to say who is actually dominant with this division- only format for the regular season.

Would not surprise me at all if either Colorado or Toronto got "punched in the mouth" playing outside their division (or even within  in the case of the Avs), and they don't know how to respond....they gotta go through the learning curve like everyone else.
Big market doesn't make them exempt from that.

I like Vegas, Washington, or Tampa Bay (repeating is hard, but they have the horses to do it) to win it all this year.
All proven commodities with proven, still-hungry players...in the case of Vegas, they should be starving.

Other possible winners are Carolina (they've been building up to this kind of season for a few seasons now), Pittsburgh (they can seem to turn it on and off...you just never know when), St. Louis (they are MUCH better than what they played on the season.....towards the end, looked more like the team they should have been all along).

Some sneaky darkhorse picks: Edmonton, NY Islanders, maybe the Bruins too.

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Same with Toronto.
Not saying they CAN'T win it all, but I think they are vastly overrated by many as far as being 'dominant' teams.

(I'm going to get you on the Toronto bandwagon yet missy!)  :mapleleafs:😃:mapleleafs:

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hard to say who is actually dominant with this division- only format for the regular season.

True, but if you look at Toronto's performance in recent years they have pushed nearly every series to the maximum number of games before bowing out. Whether it was Boston, Washington, Columbus, or whoever, the Leafs pushed what was usually a 1st place powerhouse team to the limit before going down. 

Even if the Leafs haven't improved one bit, they're still going to push a team like Boston, Washington, New York, or Pittsburgh to 7 games.  They're not an opponent that anyone can just roll over. They'll be a tough out for every one of the other playoff teams. If they have improved (and I'm not sure that they have) then they could go all the way.

When I look at the Leafs roster, I see that Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner have improved, but I question whether the rest of the team is better, worse, or the same as last year.  :) 

Toronto's achilles heel would be the following:

1. If Campbell stumbles and the team is forced to switch to an ice cold Frederick Andersen (who appears to have lost his game).
  2. If Matthews suddenly goes cold or gets injured.

7 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

CB74281C-4559-4C0F-AB4F-9CCEE8FD0413.jpeg

Doug Fraud (err I mean Ford) just extended the "stay at home" order to June 2 in Ontario.  That means the TOR vs MTL series won't have any fans in the building.

First time Toronto has faced Montreal in the playoffs in my lifetime and nobody can see it. F this covid BS.

TOR in 6 ; EDM in 6

COL in 5 ; MIN in 6

PIT in 7 ; BOS in 6

CAR in 6 ; TB in 7

(If the Stars would've make it, they would have probably played home games at full capacity. I know Canadians -and especially Quebecers- like to bitch about Americans, but let's admit the US are making a much better job in overall vaccination and assessing risk management)