The Thrill: Wild vs Kaprizov... Who Flinches First?

Jimtown guy

Looks like the Wild will finally have some interesting years ahead - awesome. Even Mikko has to be impressed...  And I think Parise is getting a dose of reality - those three had their shot for years...  Now look at what's happening when part of the tumor is cut out...

• Like 2

Read this in an article today:

"He's only allowed to negotiate and sign with the Wild, is ineligible for an offer sheet from another team and doesn't have arbitration rights. The longest the Wild could sign him for is for eight years."

Has no arbitration rights...?  Interesting...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Confrontational said:

Read this in an article today:

"He's only allowed to negotiate and sign with the Wild, is ineligible for an offer sheet from another team and doesn't have arbitration rights. The longest the Wild could sign him for is for eight years."

Has no arbitration rights...?  Interesting...

That makes all the time it took to get him here all the better and quite the signing overall.
A nice tryout period in the big league to prove he's as advertized and Then all the leverage to come up with a solid contract to keep him here. 😎

He can go Gaborik and sign a shortest possible contract and then go to LA or NY or Florida, or whatever he would find a nice place to spend the major part of his career. I hope that him coming from Siberia makes him a bit more resilient to big city lights than for example Trouba or Bobrovsky. Come to think of it Bobrovsky is from Novokuznetsk, like Kap. I hope Kap is a different Novokuznetskian Siberian than Bob.

5 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

He can go Gaborik and sign a shortest possible contract and then go to LA or NY or Florida, or whatever he would find a nice place to spend the major part of his career.

Yes it is the reality of it....so he could sign a 3 year deal and in the last year of it when he is 27 you will be left with two options sadly.

One he re ups for a long deal (which you would imagine the negotiations would begin the offseason before) and and he inks and stay.

Two he refuses to re up and wants to test free agency and leaves the Wild no choice but to deal him before the deadline for the best return they can get.

You could even trade him before that season starts so as not to have to do this messy thing during the season and it becoming a distraction while you are trying to make the playoffs.

It sucks but it is a business. Hey you could get lucky and try to offer him an 8 year deal and get him to give up some of his UFA years and have to pay a little for it.

But what is it worth to keep him in the Wild fold till he is 32??? I think yall have a super star and would do whatever i can to make him happy and would prefer to lock him up for 8 years.

But that is my opinion on it. It is risky.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes it is the reality of it....so he could sign a 3 year deal and in the last year of it when he is 27 you will be left with two options sadly.

One he re ups for a long deal (which you would imagine the negotiations would begin the offseason before) and and he inks and stay.

Two he refuses to re up and wants to test free agency and leaves the Wild no choice but to deal him before the deadline for the best return they can get.

You could even trade him before that season starts so as not to have to do this messy thing during the season and i becoming a distraction while you are trying to make the playoffs.

It sucks but it is a business. Hey you could get lucky and try to offer him an 8 year deal and get him to give up some of his UFA years and have to pay a little for it.

But what is it worth to keep him in the Wild fold till he is 32??? I think yall have a super star and would do whatever i can to make him happy and would prefer to lock him up for 8 years.

But that is my opinion on it. It is risky.

Completely agree. I would prefer to sign him for 8 years. It is not happening very often to have a super star in our team, who is attracting lots and lots of fans. Hope, he will do the same way as other consistent NHL stars are doing (mostly prefer to stay in one team) like Kucherov; Crosby; Malkin; McDavid; Ovechkin;  and also did a former Red Wings player Pavel Datsuyk.

6 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I would prefer to sign him for 8 years.

You may have to over pay on this a little but by the time you get in year 5-6 it won't look so bad and it i hope will look like the best move. I hope you guys can resolve it....

...he would look good in a Flyer's jersey. :bigteeth:

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You may have to over pay on this a little but by the time you get in year 5-6 it won't look so bad and it i hope will look like the best move. I hope you guys can resolve it....

...he would look good in a Flyer's jersey:bigteeth:

No way. 😁. Our GM will make everything possible to keep him in our team. He is looking already very impressive in the Wild's jersey (especially in retro version). 😉.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

He can go Gaborik and sign a shortest possible contract and then go to LA or NY or Florida, or whatever he would find a nice place to spend the major part of his career. I hope that him coming from Siberia makes him a bit more resilient to big city lights than for example Trouba or Bobrovsky. Come to think of it Bobrovsky is from Novokuznetsk, like Kap. I hope Kap is a different Novokuznetskian Siberian than Bob.

Now you're just making up words. ;) 
That's the scary part if he goes Gabby style. But hopefully Kap sees a different team than Gaborik did.
Back then it was all slow defensive style and flyover land.  😛 
Now, More speed and youth coming and some chemistry with at least Zuc should make him happier here...As he's stated already.

That's what I'm hoping as well. Kap is a hockey nerd. If they can convince him that he'll have the time of his life playing in a high-octane team in a hockey-nuts state, not just a city, he might like to give the Wild a chance. It's a huge decision, one that might decide his faith: will he become a Stanley Cup winner or not? Money should be secondary, because whatever he decides he'll become a millionaire -if he doesn't go Evander Kane.

• Like 1

Sorry for my inactivity, as I've been busy with personal things and keep forgetting to check the boards...lol. But i loved watching Kirill "the thrill" Kaprizov this season. I feel like if we sign him for the 8 yr $8 million AAV contract, it would do him well, cant wait to see what he brings in a full 82 game season. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 8:28 PM, ClusterChuck said:

Now, More speed and youth coming and some chemistry with at least Zuc should make him happier here...As he's stated already.

I think, he also likes our logo - the Wild Bear as well as he likes our state full of lakes, fish and forests, mushrooms similar to Siberia.

Probably , his other goal is to be a member of Triple Gold Club like his former teacher Pavel Datsyuk is. Not so many Russian players are the members of that club (just 7 players out of total 29; 6 of them have got that membership before year 2000 and only single Pavel Datsyuk has got it in 2018). Kaprizov needs to win more a gold at the World Championship and to be a winner of a Stanley Cup (hopefully with our Wild team) during his career. He is already an Olympic Games winner and a Gagarin Cup winner. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

This is not good. Not good at all 

Hopefully, he will be signed by the Wild team. He already won Olympics, but if he wants to play at Olympics more he can play there by being an NHL player. From my understanding, NHL organization let players now to play at Olympics.

Has anyone read anything about hard dollar amounts that Kirill's camp is asking for?

I can only find things regarding length of time, his hesitation to "commit 8 years of his career to the Wild", and even things about his concerns about the Wild's center position upgrades.

If he truly like playing for the Wild and he wants the team to "significantly upgrade" the center position, then surely, he has to realize that asking for a max contract will hamper the team's ability to sign a top level center.

I am NOT suggesting Kirill take a low ball offer, but I am sure some number can be arrived at where the player is STILL making good money, enough for himself and his family (maybe something in the 6-6.5M range?), yet allow the team to go and sign or trade for a top level center..... also, by NOT asking for some ridiculous amount, if he really doesn't like the way the Wild are developing, say two or three years into his contract, he will be much easier to trade due to a reasonable cap hit, and he could then be traded elsewhere he might like better, and the Wild could still get a good return for him.

I guess we will find out a lot about Kirill (and Bill Guerin) in how this is handled.
Is the player about winning or the money?
Is the GM about thinking long term, perennial Cup contender...... or just the here and now, making ONE superstar player so happy that whatever else happens, happens?

On 6/19/2021 at 1:43 AM, Alexandron said:

Hopefully, he will be signed by the Wild team. He already won Olympics, but if he wants to play at Olympics more he can play there by being an NHL player. From my understanding, NHL organization let players now to play at Olympics.

Then he's not winning at the olympics.  :whistle:

12 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I wonder if Minnesota turns out to be Columbus. Finally we get a superstar and it turns out they just want to play elsewhere?

Being a Minnesota sports fan my entire life it would not surprise me 

• Like 1

It could be one of those things that he simply doesn't like living in the US. He'd still make ****-you money in the KHL (and I'm REALLY sure that people follow the salary cap in the KHL - like there aren't wink-wink under the table deals going on...) He could be one of those big fish - small pond types, and if that's the case, there may be little the Wild can do, even if they offer him the most possible money they can. And it would suck.

I still think he will be able to sign a contract with the Wild team. For me it will be a very weird decision if he will go back to KHL after having a very successful year in NHL which attracted lots and lots of fans around the world because of his talented play. Definitely, he will not have that by playing only in KHL. Certainly, that will be a downside for his career because any progress in NHL life is much more important for the professional hockey player career than any money collected during his professional play life. And interest from the fans will be less to that player too. Hope, he will make the right decision despite all career difficulties.