Flyers targeting UFA's

CoachX

33 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If you move Sanheim for a back up goalie, and Myers was already moved, are you acknowledging that those two players were a huge mistake

I don't think so.  I think all that says is that they were used for other needs.   I still think Sanheim was a worthwhile draft pick.  And Myers was undrafted, so we didn't even waste a pick on him.   We found a guy off-market who we groomed to take to market and fill another need.    All good.

I like Sanheim, by the way.  I think he has some shortcomings that he needs to fix if he's going to become what I think was envisioned initially.  But he's in the league a few years now and plays solid second line minutes.  I think that's all you can ask for in a mid-teen pick.  Anything above that is gravy.   

I think, though, using him for a backup goalie might not be the greatest endorsement of a pick, though.  So maybe for something else.  I read your other post, too, about holding on the kid and I agree with that, so this may not be the time to move Sanheim.   I'm good with keeping him; I just think he'd be a potential chip for value.

(how's that for a rambling stream-of-consciousness reply?  As if I'd do it any other way!)

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I really don't want to do that.

Not for a frigging backup.

Find a free agent.

Completely agree again.   This is kind of an evolving thought for me this morning, so pay no attention to the contradiction with earlier, but I think wait on Sanheim and stick with the "bring York carefully" idea.  And not for a BUG.   I think you can do better with Sanheim than that.

I'm not in a hurry to move him, either.  But *IF* York develops as we hope, Sanheim becomes a chip that could fetch value, especially if he has a rebound year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Free agent day is here.

All the Flyers have left is a backup goalie

spot 

Yandle-Braun

Wasn't Yandle washed up years ago? Did he play well in FLA? There is a good chance our third pair could be the worst since Krajec and Parent. I really hope Morin and York beat them out, but having two inexperienced guys as a duo is unlikely. Or at least one guy beats out Braun. So now that Jake is gone, is Braun our most hated player? Is Yandle the next Willie Huber?

51 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I've felt that the Flyers have often rushed young players, whether in development or responsibility (making them captain). Like you pointed out, York has had about a half dozen games. To me, thats not enough to really know. So I prefer they set the roster so its stable. If York, Allison, Frost or anyone else, is that good, and that ready, they will take a spot. And if that happens, there are guys you will gladly put up in the booth to make room for them

This has happened often with players coming out of junior.

York, Laczynski and Allison are NCAA players and are more mature, at least physically ,than the typical rushed Flyers prospect coming from the CHL.

I think Allison's in particular development time may be shorter just because he's 23 already. Sort of like the way Matt Read came into the league and was good from the jump. He had reached his ceiling and was ready for middle 6 minutes.

The thing that may blow this theory up is Allison playing a power forward style game, maybe there is more room to improve now that he's playing against men.  But he isn't being relied upon to carry the load initially and I think that's helpful too. 

I feel pretty strongly that one of the reason's last season's team pooped the bed so badly was relying on young guys to mature and develop and also carry big responsibilities all at once. Everything needed to go right and it didn't.

All that to say, I think the Yandle signing is fine, it makes it so York really has to blow everyone's mind at camp and if he doesn't- he won't be getting exploited in the NHL. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Wasn't Yandle washed up years ago? Did he play well in FLA? There is a good chance our third pair could be the worst since Krajec and Parent. I really hope Morin and York beat them out, but having two inexperienced guys as a duo is unlikely. Or at least one guy beats out Braun. So now that Jake is gone, is Braun our most hated player? Is Yandle the next Willie Huber?

I can't comment on Yandle being washed up some think he is.

I will wait to watch and see.

And as far as our most hated it seems Risto is already leading in that category and hasn't even laced em up.

So I will go with him every mistake he makes there will be new bitching threads about it see FC.

I hope not because I DON'T want to have to join in with the bashing I hope it works out.

I feel if they miss the playoffs you could see the whole staff booted GM on down.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I feel pretty strongly that one of the reason's last season's team pooped the bed so badly was relying on young guys to mature and develop and also carry big responsibilities all at once.

Yes see the Charmin twins....one of which has been relocated.

It surely didn't help Hart out once he started fighting the puck.

Combine that with the Gus disaster and well here we are.

I hope Yandle isn't Gus part two.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Certainly on the downside and clearly not what Florida was hoping to do--whatever that is.   But he's likely fine for what they're attempting to accomplish (buy some time for York/Zamula) and it's a cheap/short-term signing.   So long as AV doesn't become enamored and play him regardless of performance.

He still is a decent PP play, so if he's playing 13 minutes a game and 4-6 minutes of that is PP, I'm okay.   I imagine he will split time with someone, too.  It's kind of a nothing ventured/nothing gained thing with not a ton of downside...you know, other than the goals against.  😎

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope Yandle isn't Gus part two

He's here to play 3rd line minutes, which was not the initial thought for signing Gustafsson.

If I remember this right,  the fact that he had good years playing with Kieth in CHI was used to provide hope he could step in and lessen the blow of the Niskanen retirement. 

He was going to be top 4 at least, not bottom pairing. 

Lots of guys didn't like that deal, I didn't know the player and was willing to see what happened.

I just can't see this situation turning into that clown-show.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He's here to play 3rd line minutes, which was not the initial thought for signing Gustafsson.

If I remember this right,  the fact that he had good years playing with Kieth in CHI was used to provide hope he could step in and lessen the blow of the Niskanen retirement. 

He was going to be top 4 at least, not bottom pairing. 

Lots of guys didn't like that deal, I didn't know the player and was willing to see what happened.

I just can't see this situation turning into that clown-show.

Gawd I hope not my wittle heart can't take it.

Or my liver the Bourbon over load.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Oh dear

Sums it up.

Flyers offseason moves so far fall into one of two buckets: - pretty much slam dunk smart moves - getting a guy with objectively awful results & banking on fixing them in a new environment Really no middle ground.

Jones is def physically capable of taking on a larger share of the load than Elliott was. 62, 41, and 34 games played the past three seasons. Now, do you want him taking on a bigger share of the load? Welp. My guess is Dillabaugh thinks he can fix him. Was there with him in LA.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Certainly on the downside and clearly not what Florida was hoping to do--whatever that is.

So, I know points aren't everything, but he did put up 41-56-62 in his first three years there. Then 45 in 69 (53 in 82) and 27 in 56 (40) LY.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

He still is a decent PP play, so if he's playing 13 minutes a game and 4-6 minutes of that is PP, I'm okay. 

If they don't use him this way, it's on coaching.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Oh dear

That .896 save percentage the last three years is scary. Still waiting to see if they sign a center for the fourth line. I'm glad that they didn't make the deal for Kuemper. Also wondering if they have another deal in place to shake things up. 

• Uggh... 1

Just now, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That .896 save percentage the last three years is scary. Still waiting to see if they sign a center for the fourth line. I'm glad that they didn't make the deal for Kuemper. Also wondering if they have another deal in place to shake things up. 

A classic case of "a change of scenery may fix his horrorshow stats" thinking if ever I saw it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

A classic case of "a change of scenery may fix his horrorshow stats" thinking if ever I saw it.

In fairness, Jones is only 31, so there should be a good chance of improvement. However, they need to stop with the dumpster diving for players. Another team's trash is usually trash. 

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

The Sharks did make the Conference Final in the first of those .896 years.

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

In fairness, Jones is only 31, so there should be a good chance of improvement. 

Yeah, and Jack Campbell's story gives some hope. I'm assuming that in both cases it's entirely a mental thing, so change of scenery immediately helps, which is to say, creates an opportunity for a rebirth of sorts. Maybe he becomes an amazing backup without the pressure of being a starter. Maybe.