Wild Message Board Chronicles...

13 hours ago, Math said:

Oh ****, memories are coming slowly at the surface. I was like "cool, there's another swiss guy here". I remember posting that Nummelin had actually a good shoot-out percentage (like 50% or so) but that was all about it. Dominant in the swiss league (where he came back after his stint in Minny) but too short for the NHL. Too bad we don't have any archive of this, I'm so eager to know what was exactly the nasty thnigs about each nation's history 😄

I also remember about the Sixfootten poster. He used massively the urban dictionary, writing pieces of poetry like "Leipold, U bytchwipe", "numbnutz", "whorebotz" and other things of that kinda type.

We need more whorebotz and bytchwipes - whatever on earth those are 🤣

I remember watching Nummelin being a very efficient PP player for the Finnish National Team. He was quite good in putting a quick seeing eye wrister through the traffic for an easy goal. I never saw his play in the NHL. I guess he was too small and too bad defensively to get the offense going.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Math said:

Oh ****, memories are coming slowly at the surface. I was like "cool, there's another swiss guy here". I remember posting that Nummelin had actually a good shoot-out percentage (like 50% or so) but that was all about it. Dominant in the swiss league (where he came back after his stint in Minny) but too short for the NHL. Too bad we don't have any archive of this, I'm so eager to know what was exactly the nasty thnigs about each nation's history 😄

I also remember about the Sixfootten poster. He used massively the urban dictionary, writing pieces of poetry like "Leipold, U bytchwipe", "numbnutz", "whorebotz" and other things of that kinda type.

The Swiss guy, his screename was Legion(insert some 3 digit number).  Anyways, he brought up obesity in the U.S., blamed us for every war in the last 150 years and how much smarter the Swiss are then just about everyone.  I brought up Switzerland's 'deal' they made with the Nazi's to fund their regime in exchange for being left alone.  I brought up their theft of millions of dollars of money, property of Jews and then their blatant attempts to stonewalll the efforts of survivors to reclaim those assets after the Holocaust.  It was a no-holds barred historical, national fact brawl.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

We need more whorebotz and bytchwipes - whatever on earth those are 🤣

I remember watching Nummelin being a very efficient PP player for the Finnish National Team. He was quite good in putting a quick seeing eye wrister through the traffic for an easy goal. I never saw his play in the NHL. I guess he was too small and too bad defensively to get the offense going.

He rarely let loose with his big shot, and mostly passed the puck.  I wouldn't say he was some brilliant power play QB like Legion and others were trying to convince he really was.  In his own end, his lack of size and strength was all too apparent as he was easily kept away from the puck and all he could do was try to poke check.  Teams would often throw out their bigger bodied lines when he was on the ice because if they worked the puck down low he really couldn't do much of anything to stop them from taking the puck to the crease.  

Probably the most 'notable' thing he did as a member of the Wild was a shootout goal.  Nice little move, but again...you only saw it in the post-game skills competition.  Either way, it wasn't enough to make him worthy of an NHL roster spot.  

• Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 8:18 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

The Swiss guy, his screename was Legion(insert some 3 digit number).  Anyways, he brought up obesity in the U.S., blamed us for every war in the last 150 years and how much smarter the Swiss are then just about everyone.  I brought up Switzerland's 'deal' they made with the Nazi's to fund their regime in exchange for being left alone.  I brought up their theft of millions of dollars of money, property of Jews and then their blatant attempts to stonewalll the efforts of survivors to reclaim those assets after the Holocaust.  It was a no-holds barred historical, national fact brawl.  

Too bad I missed that part. Because, yeah, I would've joined team USA. Harsh, but mostly true...

35 minutes ago, Math said:

Too bad I missed that part. Because, yeah, I would've joined team USA. Harsh, but mostly true...

I was never going to say the U.S. was the best nation, etc IMO that's a waste of time and hardly worth discussing.  We are certainly not perfect and have done some truly horrible things.  To be honest, I didn't really try to defend anything the U.S. did or didn't do.  But I did take him to task for the self-righteous nature Switzerland seems to have over the rest of the world.  That he was unaccustomed to his nation's stance as the paragon of peace and economic perfection so he lost control and then it got personal. 

Yet as I said before, despite declarations on his part that he'd stick around and hold me accountable to everything I said etc, he was gone in a little over a week and didn't return.  And the biggest surprise, Petteri Nummelin wasn't the superstar he portrayed him to be (gasp).  

To be up front, some of us on the boards frequently clashed with homers or fans that really just liked one player.  It wasn't a mafia or any kind of organized activity.  But the Wild.com message boards were not about establishing a group think as how to see the team.  The board kind of expected people to defend their arguments.  

Other teams message boards, especially the ones that were moderated aggressively would only let positive discussions or pro-team ideas proliferate.  But it was easy to notice there wasn't nearly as much activity at those places as any team criticism was locked down immediately as threads would be locked or deleted altogether.  IMO, any board like that has lost its way and you can pretty much consider them to be places only there to promote team propaganda.  

I was glad the Wild.com message boards were never like that.    

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

I'm going to go ahead and say that no MN Wild forum will ever match the quality of the old boards or the people on it. I get exhausted by how many posts I have to weed through here and on other forums just to find a decent post about hockey that's actually worth having a conversation or debate over. It doesn't matter if its offseason or the playoffs the atmosphere is never even close.

It was great getting to be all nostalgic with you all! but outside of it this thread I'm realizing the forum really doesn't seem to interest me at all so I doubt I'll be around much! Take care all you old schoolers!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gnarkill said:

It was great getting to be all nostalgic with you all! but outside of it this thread I'm realizing the forum really doesn't seem to interest me at all so I doubt I'll be around much! Take care all you old schoolers!

Jeez, do you sit around with your wife and talk about how beautiful your exes are, too?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Jeez, do you sit around with your wife and talk about how beautiful your exes are, too?

Considering my Fiancée passed in 2020 from issues created by covid symptoms that she obtained while doing her job as a pediatric nurse we don't really get that chance. Thank you for proving my point about this particular board.. I just didn't think it extended to the mods too. Disgusting. I'm completely done here.

I'll find you on Twitter if I can so we can keep in touch LiG.

1 hour ago, Gnarkill said:

Considering my Fiancée passed in 2020 from issues created by covid symptoms that she obtained while doing her job as a pediatric nurse we don't really get that chance.

I'm very sorry to hear about your fiancee, and I mean that.

1 hour ago, Gnarkill said:

Thank you for proving my point about this particular board.. I just didn't think it extended to the mods too. Disgusting. I'm completely done here.

I proved that I'm not a mind reader, just as you proved that some find it distasteful to go into a person's home and complain about how much better their old place was.

• Like 1

Completely agree. To make forum more interesting we should bring more topics for discussions and more thoughts/ more views into them. Without writing the forum is looking not as active.

Here is an option to meet fans together, which I just found at Russo twit. On August 30th, at 6 p.m. Michael Russo and Anthony LaPanta will be at Kowalski's market  in Shoreview for the Wild discussions at the parking lot as well as some grilling will be there too. I live close by this market. It is on intersection of HWY 96 and Hodgson Rd. I will try to be there if I will be done with my work earlier.

• Good Post 1

16 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm very sorry to hear about your fiancee, and I mean that.

I proved that I'm not a mind reader, just as you proved that some find it distasteful to go into a person's home and complain about how much better their old place was.

Most importantly, I would also like to say that to @GnarkillI am deeply saddened by your loss.  I can't even imagine how tough that would've been to go through, especially as she did her job to try to save others during this pandemic.  You are right, this would've been the kind of thing the old boards would have brought us together for.  Where we could help support one another.  Whether its Twitter or through direct message here, I'll listen anytime Gnarkill...anytime.  

To @JR Ewing Honestly, you should've just said you were sorry and left it at that after saying something that foolish.  You clearly have no idea the kind of community we used to have.  We've tried to share some of what that was here, but unless you were asking a question about the previous community I don't see why the conversation pertained to you or this place.  

@Gnarkill was 100% correct in saying things are not the same.  Heck, even at the Wild.com message boards as they made changes to the display it sometimes caused havoc with people and gradually people started to leave and not necessarily by their choice.  However, many stayed because of the relationships, camaraderie.  It was the place to talk about everything as well as hockey.  

Clearly, it wasn't that way anymore for him and I 100% respect his choice to point out that difference and say that he'd rather spend his time elsewhere.  But instead you chose to chide him for that opinion and put your keyboard / phone in your mouth with your comment.  I don't care if you're a Global anything, probably the best thing would've been to avoided the thread altogether as you had nothing to contribute to it.  

11 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Completely agree. To make forum more interesting we should bring more topics for discussions and more thoughts/ more views into them. Without writing the forum is looking not as active.

Here is an option to meet fans together, which I just found at Russo twit. On August 30th, at 6 p.m. Michael Russo and Anthony LaPanta will be at Kowalski's market  in Shoreview for the Wild discussions at the parking lot as well as some grilling will be there too. I live close by this market. It is on intersection of HWY 96 and Hodgson Rd. I will try to be there if I will be done with my work earlier.

LaPanta certainly loves to talk about their sponsor Kowalski's.  He loves posting pictures of the big meals his family likes to have.  Some of that though gets kind of old on their podcasts.  To be honest, I liked the show more when it was Souhan and Russo.  Souhan is not really a Wild fan, but his distance allowed him to have a more objective view of the team.  Russo and LaPanta are so embedded, at times I think the line gets blurred as to whether they're reporting or whether they are promoting the team and its views, etc.  Especially LaPanta who rarely offers any kind of criticism of the team.  

That being said, before the pandemic, I did make the trip once to see the Souhan / Russo show in Savage, MN.  I had a small conversation with them both after the show and gave Russo some coffee that @MNSOTApicked out for him.  I still like the podcast and find it informative, but I do think it used to be better.  Russo and LaPanta are almost too friendly with one another if that makes sense?!?!  

I remember the old boards would sometimes try to have get togethers either before the game or afterwards at a bar.  And I'm not just talking about the Club 216 group I mentioned near the start of this thread.  There were other fans that we'd see and chit chat about life and the team over beers / food.  Some of these fans were STH's from Iowa, North Dakota, Nebraska..it was incredible to see how far people came.  But since we saw these folks multiple times, it was also a testament to how dedicated they were and how close the community really was even if we were spread all over the midwest and beyond.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1

Hopefully, I will be able to see them there. I mentioned Russo so many times, but never met him before. For me, he is a main source of information regarding our team and has a superb talent in writing.

Edited by Alexandron

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

To @JR Ewing Honestly, you should've just said you were sorry and left it at that after saying something that foolish. 

It's foolish to mention wives now?

You clearly have no idea the kind of community we used to have.  We've tried to share some of what that was here, but unless you were asking a question about the previous community I don't see why the conversation pertained to you or this place.  

I'm sure the community was great, but this conversation is happening in this place. I'm a member here, so I get to talk, just like you.

Clearly, it wasn't that way anymore for him and I 100% respect his choice to point out that difference and say that he'd rather spend his time elsewhere.  But instead you chose to chide him for that opinion and put your keyboard / phone in your mouth with your comment.  I don't care if you're a Global anything, probably the best thing would've been to avoided the thread altogether as you had nothing to contribute to it.  

Unless I already knew about their misfortune, there's not a reasonable person in the world who would have taken my comment and construed it as belittling him for losing his fiancee to Covid. It's as preposterous as somebody saying "After the kids were done playing, the house looked like a tornado went through it" and I respond by saying "My house was destroyed by a tornado! Thank you for proving my point about this particular board.. I just didn't think it extended to the mods too. Disgusting. I'm completely done here."

• Like 1

Most importantly, I would also like to say that to @GnarkillI am deeply saddened by your loss.  I can't even imagine how tough that would've been to go through, especially as she did her job to try to save others during this pandemic.  You are right, this would've been the kind of thing the old boards would have brought us together for.  Where we could help support one another.  Whether its Twitter or through direct message here, I'll listen anytime Gnarkill...anytime.  

To @JR Ewing Honestly, you should've just said you were sorry and left it at that after saying something that foolish.  You clearly have no idea the kind of community we used to have.  We've tried to share some of what that was here, but unless you were asking a question about the previous community I don't see why the conversation pertained to you or this place.  

@Gnarkill was 100% correct in saying things are not the same.  Heck, even at the Wild.com message boards as they made changes to the display it sometimes caused havoc with people and gradually people started to leave and not necessarily by their choice.  However, many stayed because of the relationships, camaraderie.  It was the place to talk about everything as well as hockey.  

(shrugs)

Honestly, there isn't a whole lot to this.

JR's comment was simply an off the cuff remark based on the poster's commentary about there being nothing worthy to talk about here.
As proud as some of you may have been of your old boards, we are proud of this one, so, for better or worse, he took a bit of umbrage to the slight stick about people here having nothing worth discussing.

Anyone with a pair of eyeballs and common sense could clearly see no personal attacks were aimed at Gnarkill, his wife or his situation, as clearly, no indication there was a tragedy was evident beforehand.

And it is a mod's job to look at ALL threads for any and all content.
Again, for edification, the comment made by JR was simply an off the cuff, smart alecky response to Gnarkill's perceived swipes at THIS community.
His own opinion on how much more he liked his old board was not in question, as it is his right to like what he likes.

JR even apologized afterwards and then indicated a reason for his response.

And that's about the size of it.
Nothing more, nothing less.
No "foolish" comments were made. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

It's foolish to mention wives now?

I'm sure the community was great, but this conversation is happening in this place. I'm a member here, so I get to talk, just like you.

Unless I already knew about their misfortune, there's not a reasonable person in the world who would have taken my comment and construed it as belittling him for losing his fiancee to Covid. It's as preposterous as somebody saying "After the kids were done playing, the house looked like a tornado went through it" and I respond by saying "My house was destroyed by a tornado! Thank you for proving my point about this particular board.. I just didn't think it extended to the mods too. Disgusting. I'm completely done here."

Keep digging that hole a bit deeper.   Not sure how the conversation applied to you, but whatever...'member.'  

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

(shrugs)

Honestly, there isn't a whole lot to this.

JR's comment was simply an off the cuff remark based on the poster's commentary about there being nothing worthy to talk about here.
As proud as some of you may have been of your old boards, we are proud of this one, so, for better or worse, he took a bit of umbrage to the slight stick about people here having nothing worth discussing.

Anyone with a pair of eyeballs and common sense could clearly see no personal attacks were aimed at Gnarkill, his wife or his situation, as clearly, no indication there was a tragedy was evident beforehand.

And it is a mod's job to look at ALL threads for any and all content.
Again, for edification, the comment made by JR was simply an off the cuff, smart alecky response to Gnarkill's perceived swipes at THIS community.
His own opinion on how much more he liked his old board was not in question, as it is his right to like what he likes.

JR even apologized afterwards and then indicated a reason for his response.

And that's about the size of it.
Nothing more, nothing less.
No "foolish" comments were made. 

He apologized and then double-downed on his original needless statement which erases any genuineness that apology had.  Swipes at your community?  You didn't have to post in this thread.  Neither did JR.  It was about the old Wild message board, where a lot of us came from when they shut it down.  

There was ZERO reason for him or any other mod, member or otherwise,  to take a shot at him for a comment saying something isn't the same.  He didn't call any of you out.  He just said it wasn't the same and didn't think there was enough discussion to keep him around.  That's unfortunate, and its 100% his right to say that.  It didn't violate any rules etc.  

But go ahead and hi-five with your fellow mods, like each other's posts as you often do to support your actions, you just chased off another poster.  Score -1 for 'your' community!  

• Like 1

And back to the topic at hand.  @MNSOTAmade a comment today that it used to be more like a dormatory over at the old boards.  I think that was a pretty apt description.  Kind of like Animal House.  I know a few of us were put on double secret probation a few times, but we certainly had a lot of fun.  This was our small group that went on that Laughlin, Nevada trip that we won through the team.  It wasn't easy, but we managed to watch the team's last regular season game of the year albeit in a little bar that couldn't stand us because we were drinking beer and genuinely enjoying ourselves as we tried to stream the game on a lap top.  

Hmm, a place that couldn't stand us...sounds kind of familiar.  

13445258_10154939407985961_3299486816868851739_n.jpg

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

He apologized and then double-downed on his original needless statement which erases any genuineness that apology had.  Swipes at your community?  You didn't have to post in this thread.  Neither did JR.  It was about the old Wild message board, where a lot of us came from when they shut it down.  

There was ZERO reason for him or any other mod, member or otherwise,  to take a shot at him for a comment saying something isn't the same.  He didn't call any of you out.  He just said it wasn't the same and didn't think there was enough discussion to keep him around.  That's unfortunate, and its 100% his right to say that.  It didn't violate any rules etc.  

But go ahead and hi-five with your fellow mods, like each other's posts as you often do to support your actions, you just chased off another poster.  Score -1 for 'your' community!  

This is being turned from a nothing thing to a needless something.

Whether JR "needed" to comment is irrelevant. There were perceived slights taken at the community here a few times by your buddy, and sure, JR could have just left it, or not, but he decided to just drop in a snarky comment.
Big deal. Everyone here has done such a thing at one point or another.

Any misunderstandings seemed to be taken care of after certain things were made clear.
It COULD have stayed at that. There was ZERO reason for it to be escalated.

I'd say whether it was actually true that a swipe was taken at the community or perceived, is just as valid as any of YOUR perceptions of how genuine or disingenuous someone else is.

It was already covered that it wasn't some malicious attack on the poster, but if that doesn't fit your narrative, it will be just left out, and I'm not going to bother getting you to see that it wasn't the case.

You don't get to decide who comments on what and if something really is bad, that's what reports are for.

No one was "chased off".
If that poster wasn't happy here, he was on his way out already.

Further, there was no "modding" going on.
It was another poster (who happened to have a mod title) commenting.
If seeing a mod title somehow triggers you, well, I don't know what to tell you.

No need to turn this into yet another stupid "us vs them" thing.
There is no 'high fiving' going on, but hey, feel free to roll with whatever helps you feel better.
It is probably the very thing that ruined any previous boards.

I mean, if you want "modding", well, then, I will tell you this:
You keep your thread here about what you want it for.

Lesson learned then by "outside" posters that it is not worth commenting in here about things we sadly missed out on for not being part of a previous board.

But if this continues as some sort of whining, bashing, or twisting of facts thread, then it no longer has purpose and those threads get shut down.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

There was a poster on the old boards who who tried to claim they were a member of law enforcement.  They became unhappy with some posters and then threatened to arrest or create legal difficulties.  They would try to dig and post personal data and information to attempt to intimidate people.  I was an easy target because I didn't make any effort to hide my actual name.  They thought they were having some fun.  

Yet, unbeknownst to them was others remembered comments they made on other threads.  They had given little clues, often rather innocuous things about their life and interests.  Some enterprising posters then did a little digging based on those clues and learned a lot more.  They learned the person claiming to be a member of law enforcement wasn't really quite telling the whole truth.    

So that poster was then exposed.  We didn't reveal the identity, but the person knew we knew who they really were.  Needless to say, they left quickly and never returned.  No threat's made, just the facade was shattered.  

But, that's life in an internet world eh?  

12 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

There was a poster on the old boards who who tried to claim they were a member of law enforcement.  They became unhappy with some posters and then threatened to arrest or create legal difficulties.  They would try to dig and post personal data and information to attempt to intimidate people.  I was an easy target because I didn't make any effort to hide my actual name.  They thought they were having some fun.  

Yet, unbeknownst to them was others remembered comments they made on other threads.  They had given little clues, often rather innocuous things about their life and interests.  Some enterprising posters then did a little digging based on those clues and learned a lot more.  They learned the person claiming to be a member of law enforcement wasn't really quite telling the whole truth.    

So that poster was then exposed.  We didn't reveal the identity, but the person knew we knew who they really were.  Needless to say, they left quickly and never returned.  No threat's made, just the facade was shattered.  

But, that's life in an internet world eh?  

That is rather interesting and bizarre.  On another forum I used visit a member "claimed" that either the member or a family member of the member in question had cancer or another serious illness to gather sympathy and emotional support.  And like you mentioned other members who had people in the know found out that this member was lying and exposed for who they were.  That member was then banned from that particular forum.  Agree ...Amazing isn't it.

Nice idea for the thread.  Many Flyer fans who migrated to the place remember the old Philly.com Boards. (many of us refer to it as Silly.com ..LOL).  Yeah there is a special bond when a group of people get to know each other over the years .......  I can just imagine the old Wild Boards being a blast.  

I also relate about meeting up when I used to live in Va. Beach.  I had season tickets to the Norfolk Admirals, then AHL team to the Blackhawks.  The Admirals message board was filled with season ticket holders and we used to meet up at the games all the time and them go out afterwards.  That was ~20 yrs ago before I moved back to PA.  Fun times for sure.

19 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

That is rather interesting and bizarre.  On another forum I used visit a member "claimed" that either the member or a family member of the member in question had cancer or another serious illness to gather sympathy and emotional support.  And like you mentioned other members who had people in the know found out that this member was lying and exposed for who they were.  That member was then banned from that particular forum.  Agree ...Amazing isn't it.

Nice idea for the thread.  Many Flyer fans who migrated to the place remember the old Philly.com Boards. (many of us refer to it as Silly.com ..LOL).  Yeah there is a special bond when a group of people get to know each other over the years .......  I can just imagine the old Wild Boards being a blast.  

I also relate about meeting up when I used to live in Va. Beach.  I had season tickets to the Norfolk Admirals, then AHL team to the Blackhawks.  The Admirals message board was filled with season ticket holders and we used to meet up at the games all the time and them go out afterwards.  That was ~20 yrs ago before I moved back to PA.  Fun times for sure.

We didn't find any frauds like that.  But its a shame people do things like that.  

I thought the thread was just a way for old members to remember the good old days.  They were a blast.  Long before podcasts, Twitter people were discussing all things Wild there.  I'd estimate it had 100-200 active posters on any given day during the mid-2000's even in the offseason, probably more than that during the season.  I think I remember going to the Philly one once or twice.  Not sure I remember posting there, but our teams didn't face one another all that often so it wasn't really a place you'd go to like we would to Vancouver, Colorado's or Chicago's boards back in the day.  

We did have a group that took a road trip to Milwaukee to watch the Houston Aeros play the Milwaukee Admirals because that was really the closest AHL team to Minnesota.  Had a good time heckling the locals when they tried to heckle us.  Mini Bob Vila was a treat...

5 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Long before podcasts, Twitter people were discussing all things Wild there. 

I've said it numerous times, but Twitter / FB / Instagram have severely hurt forums such as these.  A total shame ... I get it .....

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

We did have a group that took a road trip to Milwaukee to watch the Houston Aeros play the Milwaukee Admirals because that was really the closest AHL team to Minnesota.  Had a good time heckling the locals when they tried to heckle us

Yeah we did that too when the Norfolk Admiral had their heated rivalry with the Richmond Renegades when both teams were in the ECHL.  They used to call it the Rt 64 rivalry because Hampton Roads was only a 2 hr drive to Richmond on Interstate 64.  There fans hated us and we hated them back.  Yup again .... good times.

That was soooo long ago ......