Just Wait Until Late March, Early April

Guest Desert_Fly_Dog

The flyers have been really inconsistent this year, but one area where they are consistent is the last part of the season...they stink.

Last year, 3 - 8 to limp into the playoffs, where Ritchie and company said that we will turn it on...and didn't.

The year before, 4 - 8 to slide into the playoffs with the rare shoot out win against the Rangers. Nice run, but probably gave us some false hope.

This team has way too many rookies to make any kind of run. Rooks hit the wall toward the end of the season, due to a number of reasons, one being they never play more than 40 or 50 games in a season. Good Defense will stifle our top lines, which they have already started to do, and we will be on the outside looking in this year.

I hope I am wrong, and that our experienced guys will prevail, but it doesn't bode well for us to be this fragmented...with inconsistent play and bad goaltending.

Bummer.

The Flyers are still down TWO top six guys in JVR and Briere, and their top defender in Pronger. Let's see how the season plays out, especially if Philly goes into April healthy and the Bs and Rags get depleted...

The season is NOT over.

I am hopeful, and I totally agree with you (doom88) about JVR & Danny, both are valuable cogs in our machine, and I am in no way, shape or form saying that the season is over...I am just pointing out that if we continue down this path of inconsistent play, taking a period or two off, our Goalie situation, the fact we have so many rookies on the team...plus our "recent" history at the end of the season for the past couple of years, we could be in trouble.

I guess I am more of a glass have empty kind of fan.

The flyers have been really inconsistent this year, but one area where they are consistent is the last part of the season...they stink.

Last year, 3 - 8 to limp into the playoffs, where Ritchie and company said that we will turn it on...and didn't.

The year before, 4 - 8 to slide into the playoffs with the rare shoot out win against the Rangers. Nice run, but probably gave us some false hope.

This team has way too many rookies to make any kind of run. Rooks hit the wall toward the end of the season, due to a number of reasons, one being they never play more than 40 or 50 games in a season. Good Defense will stifle our top lines, which they have already started to do, and we will be on the outside looking in this year.

I hope I am wrong, and that our experienced guys will prevail, but it doesn't bode well for us to be this fragmented...with inconsistent play and bad goaltending.

Bummer.

Two seasons ago, when they had the shootout win, they ended up in the Stanley Cup finals. Two more wins would have been nice, but none of us saw that coming.

While we likely do have too many rookies, and some may fall flat on their faces, Sean Couturier for example, even though he had mono, played in about 90 games last year. Goaltending is more likely to be our downfall than rookies. It has been most of the season...consistantly.

umm, yeah. No real mystery what our Weak Link has been all season - Mr Small Bryzgalov.

No doubt we had some brutal turnovers yesterday in our own zone - Carle, Bourdon - but Bryzagalov was brought in to stop those mistakes from turning into goals. If he gets beat on a good screen, or on breakaways...well every goalie deserves some slack on those.

But Gaborik's goal, Del Zotto's goal - they were as ugly as you'll ever see in the NHL. And the timing could not have been worse.

"Sometimes mistakes happen" Bryzgalov said after the game. Yes they do. And goaltenders suck sometimes. Yes they do. Bryzgalov.

But Gaborik's goal, Del Zotto's goal - they were as ugly as you'll ever see in the NHL. And the timing could not have been worse.

"Sometimes mistakes happen" Bryzgalov said after the game. Yes they do. And goaltenders suck sometimes. Yes they do. Bryzgalov.

You almost have to be trying to be horrible to let in some of the goals Bryzgalov has this season. I'm going to say about half the goals he's let in would have been stopped by ANYONE on this board, drunk, and blindfolded and in a straightjacket.

You almost have to be trying to be horrible to let in some of the goals Bryzgalov has this season.

This isn't the first time I've wondered that exact thing - Is this guy trying to suck?

Some of us have called his movement "nonchalant." Honestly it looks more like "eh if it goes in fk it, I'm getting paid either way."

I don't wish this goaltender on any team, least of all us. He really belongs in a beer league somewhere - preferably on another continent.

Fk Bryzgalov- for ruining what has been such a surprisingly good season on so many levels. I never thought we'd compete offensively or on the PK without Richards - never. Go down the list from Jagr (no drama) to Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek...and then all these rookies....

THEY DESERVE BETTER God Dammit.

IF ONLY WE HAD A GOALTENDER WHO DIDN'T SUCK.

@canoli

I agree with everything you've written about Bryzgalov in this post /\

We have marveled at how pucks shot at his body wind up behind him, it is maddening

however, i do think a little perspective is in order here... the team is in 4th in a very competitive eastern conference, it is a fun group to watch play, the team has exceeded my expectations by so much it is laughable, i never thought this group would be as good as they are. To say that Bryz is ruining the season is like saying because we never see "Bernadette's" enormous breasts on the Big Bang Therory that the show sucks. We still see them , they're just covered with sweaters, If bryz gets it together, then this season becomes Bernadette posing for a playboy pictorial and the sky is the limit.

@mojo1917

Sure. But canoli's point was imagine how good we'd be with a goalie who earns that contract? Giroux has stepped up as advertised. Couturier fell into our lap and has played better than even the most optimistic junior fanatic could have forseen. Schenn is starting to play like the player ranked top prospect should. Read has been an absolute steal. Hartnell has gone from horrible to excellent. Our forwards have been a dream.

And then there's Bryz. We hoped he'd snap out of it after 10 games...then 20 games, then 30, 40, etc. He's given us, what, a handful of decent games, a whole lot of absolute garbage. The part that scares me most is, he looks like a slower version of Michael leighton with terrible hockey sense and even worse puck handling skills. I mean if it looked like he was just getting bad bounces (and he has) it wouldn't be so bad. I don't know what others are seeing, but I just see a terrible goalie, anyway you look at it. I see nothing that says "elite" in his game at all. Heck, you have to reach to see "average".

Yep that was my point exactly - all in all we're playing pretty good hockey, staying near the top of the NHL despite the crappy performances by our starting goaltender.

Meanwhile the guy who posted 28 wins in his rookie season...the guy some were saying "faded in the 2nd-half" (what a joke statement that was) he's the guy who looks like the "true #1."

I see nothing that says "elite" in his game at all. Heck, you have to reach to see "average".

sigh

i know, i said as much in my boob post.

i don't want to look at the glass as being half empty with this team even if there is scotch whiskey in it.

Bummer.

Like your dog. Flyers are not going anywhere this year. Bear says you can take it to the bank.