Wild trade deadline

Tomdog

Ottawa's Nick Paul and Chris Tierney have popped up in rumors "to Minnesota" once again.
I know these names where bandied about earlier, then it went quiet....well, they seem to be back in circulation in connection with the Wild once more.

This season, Paul and Tierney (both Centers, though Nick Paul can play any forward position), have about the same productivity.
Mainly because Tierney has underperformed, while Paul has been about where he should be...both at 15pts in about 46 games played.

However, IMO, Nick Paul would be the better option as a big bruising, checking center (think Adam Lowry), who can kill penalties and chip in the occasional goal from any of the bottom six positions.

Since both Tierney and Paul have the same production, Paul is more attractive due to the grinding he will do over Tierney, plus, he is a heck of a lot more cap friendly at just a 1.3M hit vs a 3.5M hit with Tierney.
Paul should NOT cost the Wild a bunch to acquire either.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

A name I haven't heard come up in connection with Minnesota, but I think could be a nice fit, somewhat in the vein of Ottawa's Nick Paul, is Montreal's Cedric Paquette.
6', 205 pounds, 28 yrs old, will be a UFA at season's end, so he'd be a rental (unless MN gets him, and the player and team like each other and they give him a contract), carrying a cap hit of just 950K.

Mainly a bottom sixer, can play any forward position, but has been primarily a center, can occasionally slide into a 2C position in a pinch as a "space maker" between two more skilled wingers.
His numbers show that when playing on an up tempo team (Tampa Bay, Carolina), he can contribute a bit of offense to go along with his checking, versatility and quite a pronounced mean streak.
Not so much when playing on a mostly defensive, offensively challenged team (Ottawa, Montreal).
The Wild's style of defense to forecheck, to quick strike offense may suit him just fine.

Another plus to Paquette are his 95 career playoff games.
I don't imagine it would take anywhere near a big haul to get him either.

He'd fit in great with St. Louis or Colorado too....I'd rather he and his nastiness play for Minnesota. :) 

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

He'd fit in great with St. Louis or Colorado too....I'd rather he and his nastiness play for Minnesota. :) 

We would be needing some nasty. Preferably I'd prefer Sturm and Bjugstad finding and releasing their inner demons, but I doubt the organisation can arrange a boot camp for them. I hate to see the Wild needing to keep looking for the sandpaper. We should be drafting some players who could into those roles.

I think we need to add a defenseman with some grit and nasty to him. Not someone who’s undisciplined and takes penalties, but rather someone with some physical size who plays with an edge and can prevent players from parking in front of the net. I don’t like Charra because he’s too slow. It needs to be someone who will be able to skate with the speed we will see with Colorado and Vegas. Who fits that bill? Chariot?? I’m sure tons of those guys are available! LOL

I know we didn’t look great against Florida, but I still think this team has a legit shot. Others here may disagree, but I think we have a shot. When you consider that we have no guarantees of keeping Kaprizov past the five years, and the cap penalties are going to limit our trade abilities in years 2-4 of Kaprizov’s contract, we should go for it this year. Now I’m not saying trade Rossi or Addison, but we have a deep enough system to make a move. It would have to be a rental to keep the cost down but we should be aggressive. Three weeks ago I would have loved Hertl between Fiala and Boldy. Now I almost hate to mess with that line. Having said that though, I think come playoff time, with the way defenses lock things down, we might need more pure skill between Fiala and Boldy than FG can provide. Does Tierney fit well on that line? I trust BG to make the right moves. He will also make sure it’s a great locker room addition. He’s shown us he knows how much that means. I’ve heard people say Kessel would fit in great here in that regard, though I don’t view him as a true center. Either way, it’s gonna be a fun 2-3 weeks with all the rumors we will hear.

Edited by TallyTigerShark
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

That's a very good post, IMO. It got me thinking about our chances. What if we could get a d-man with half of Byfuglien's grit, never mind the offense he had, just the gritty defending? What if we could get a player who really hates losing? Like JT Miller? With a little bit of luck and a lots of hate towards losing, we might have a chance of even a better run than 2003. We have defensive prospects coming along, maybe we could trade one or two.

• Thanks 1

We are thinking alike where the defense is concerned. Don’t get me wrong, I love our current d corp, but let’s face it, we could use some more bulk there.

I’d love to have JT Miller. I’d do back flips to get him, but I just don’t see that happening. With another year left on his deal at $5.25M he’s gonna be more expensive to acquire and probably too difficult to fit into our cap structure next year. Hertl, Tierney and perhaps Pavelski if Dallas we to fall back, are the kinds of players I think we are more likely to target. I don’t know about their locker room presence but I think from a skill standpoint they would all be upgrades to place between Boldy and Fiala come playoff time. Two other center men not mentioned much who are on expiring contracts who could be available are Pavel Zacha and Max Domi. Zacha is an RFA though rather than a UFA.

5 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Mark Gionardo from Seattle. Would make a very good backline stronger. Will cost, but he's a rare breed of tough defenseman. 

I like that. The only thing is how to make that work from the cost point of view. He would be just what the Wild needs.

• 2 weeks later...

When I started this thread it was with the Wild looking to improve for a playoff run. 
Now with the team coming back down to earth the question is, should the team be sellers trying to negate some of the cap hell that is in their future. 
Should/can they trade Dumba, Fiala for some high draft/ prospects or young talent?

I doubt they can resign Dumba for less than what he gets now, and that’s the only way I would resign him. 
Fiala has made it clear he wants a payday contract, and maybe rightfully so. Other than his bad habits of turning the puck over at the blue line, he’s high end talent. 
Is there talent in the system to replace them?

12 hours ago, Tomdog said:

When I started this thread it was with the Wild looking to improve for a playoff run. 
Now with the team coming back down to earth the question is, should the team be sellers trying to negate some of the cap hell that is in their future. 
Should/can they trade Dumba, Fiala for some high draft/ prospects or young talent?

I doubt they can resign Dumba for less than what he gets now, and that’s the only way I would resign him. 
Fiala has made it clear he wants a payday contract, and maybe rightfully so. Other than his bad habits of turning the puck over at the blue line, he’s high end talent. 
Is there talent in the system to replace them?

In a heartbeat. We didn't suffer without him and didn't have much obvious improvement when he's playing (Yes it's only 1 game since most recent injury) But he had season that validates his current pay.
Maybe that would free up some $$ for even Fiala, But he probably already knows we can't pay want he'll want.

You trade Dumba in the offseason to get the most back. Dumba needs to be gone he is not worth Tuch, Huala and Fiala. 

I think Goligoski looks hurt or old I can decide which.

Sturm is gone so sell when we can.

If we can sell Talbot do that too.

• Like 1

Per Lou Nanne, in Minnesota High School Hockey Tournament, on KFAN with Dan Barario says name he has heard is Josh Manson, a big tough Anaheim defenseman, who becomes free agent this summer. Saw him play in juniors. Believe he is son of former Winnipeg Jet favorite Dave Manson. You can never have enough tough guys on the blue line.

4 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Per Lou Nanne, in Minnesota High School Hockey Tournament, on KFAN with Dan Barario says name he has heard is Josh Manson, a big tough Anaheim defenseman, who becomes free agent this summer. Saw him play in juniors. Believe he is son of former Winnipeg Jet favorite Dave Manson. You can never have enough tough guys on the blue line.

wonder what the cost of Manson would be?

Manson is currently on injured reserve. 4+ million. Imo too expensive for the future cap hell coming. 
I think they need to be looking for up and comers that they think will make the jump to NHL. 

Dumba and agent will not take hometown haircut. This will be his swing at likely his highest salary, as he's technically in his prime. Sign and trade an option, depending on what Wild are looking for. New center Rossi or rental.

Also there are high quality five year college seniors available as teams are eliminated. Several scouts at Bemidji State vs. Bowling Green last weekend in Bemidji.

On 2/26/2022 at 3:13 PM, Icechipper said:

Mark Gionardo from Seattle. Would make a very good backline stronger. Will cost, but he's a rare breed of tough defenseman. 

Indeed Pierre LeBrum reports in TDN that the ask is minimum 1st rounder and likely a pick. Trick is Giordano can choose his destination, whomever he believes has shot at cup.

I like Mark Giordano, but I wouldn't give up a first rounder for him. Not at this stage of his career.
If the Wild are willing to give up a first to improve, though not necessarily on the defense, then perhaps a deal with Columbus like:

Kevin Fiala + Matt Dumba (assuming the Jackets aren't on his modified no trade list) + 1st rounder

for

Patrik Laine + 3rd rounder.

This unloads salary (Dumba) and potential higher salary (Fiala) and brings in a guy who will cost as well, but is only 23, still lots of ceiling, and can potentially outscore BOTH Dumba and Fiala over the next several years, and still gives Minnesota a pick (3rd rounder) to get a decent potential top six player.
And Laine, even at around 8-9M (his likely asking price as an RFA), would cost less than both Dumba and whatever Fiala ends up getting combined.

Columbus might be able to get more out of Dumba who seems to do better on a looser, less structured defensive scheme, they get Fiala who isn't a Laine PPG player, but close enough, plus that always coveted 1st rounder.

Minnesota can then look at the FA market in the off season and see if they can get a reasonably affordable veteran defenseman....there should be a few of them available.
In the meantime, Addison would get more meaningful minutes with the big club and improving his game.

A Wild team with snipers like Kirill and Laine would be VERY intriguing!

NONE of this was talked about anywhere, but as a fan who likes to speculate and one who thinks about things she'd like to see her team do, I think this would be a fair deal to both sides as Minnesota navigates the cap hell they will find themselves in for the next 4 years.

40 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Got younger and gave themselves some cost certainty for the next two+ years.

Jost has been somewhat of a bust for being the 10th overall pick when he was drafted. He definitely should not of left UND after one season and he admitted that a few years after he was drafted. Like the old cliche says, maybe a change of scenery will do him good especially in the faceoff circle where’s he’s a dismal 39% this year 

12 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

We gave up a lot of size. I know Sturm was going to be a UFA but it's not like we were going to have to pay him much more than what we got in return if we wanted to keep him. 
Still work to do Guerin.

IMO with the upcoming cap crunch, cost certainty is going to be more important than player size. They have a 24 year old Jost for one more season at $2M and then he's and RFA when he is 25. The 26 year old Sturm is a UFA after this season when he'll be 27, and there is no guarantee that he would agree to a $2M/year contract. Sturm could point at Jost and say "I have the same stats as him and a way better FO%. I want $3M/year and a NTC or I'm walking".

Besides, this is a fourth line deal. It's not going to catapult this team into Cup contention.

12 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Jost numbers are average at best. Terrible at faceoffs 

https://www.nhl.com/player/tyson-jost-8479370

So are Sturm's. If you extrapolate the points out over the number of games, they are almost exactly the same. And while Sturm has Jost in the FO%, Jost has Sturm in the takeaway/giveaway department (Jost 124/49, Sturm 19/21).

To me this trade is a lateral move that gave the team some cost certainty over the next couple of seasons (when they're going to need it).