Next HC

Fizz

:HijackedThread:

Well Edmonton has a coach, and they can GGT. I dont care how good they are/aren't

Back to Flyers. I'm worried the Flyers will try to find some unknown prodigy. I'm equally worried, they will chase Nostalgia with Tocchet 

If they want to go outside the box, they should hire Rickard Gronberg. Personally, I'd like Jim Montgomery, if he has gotten his issues under control

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Well Edmonton has a coach, and they can GGT. I dont care how good they are/aren't

Back to Flyers. I'm worried the Flyers will try to find some unknown prodigy. I'm equally worried, they will chase Nostalgia with Tocchet 

If they want to go outside the box, they should hire Rickard Gronberg. Personally, I'd like Jim Montgomery, if he has gotten his issues under control

I would roll the dice with David Carle the HC for Denver Pioneers Matt Carle's brother but that is just me.

11 hours ago, CoachX said:

If I had to bet on it I'd go Tocchet . It'd fit their usual ideas and we'd here a bunch of bs about returning to a Flyer identity or some such plea to nostalgia. 

Gronberg is however an interesting idea. I think Buffalo was considering him before they went Granato. he has an impressive resume and his ideas are definitely with the times. Therefore I don't see it happening . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

If I had to bet on it I'd go Tocchet . It'd fit their usual ideas and we'd here a bunch of bs about returning to a Flyer identity or some such plea to nostalgia. 

Honestly, so long as it's not Mike Yeo, I don't care.

Actually, I really don't think I'll care no matter who it is at this point.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Gronberg is however an interesting idea. I think Buffalo was considering him before they went Granato. he has an impressive resume and his ideas are definitely with the times. Therefore I don't see it happening . 

I don't know much about Tocchet the coach, but I do know the old time "Flyer Hockey" does not and will not work in the new NHL. So personally I hope they stay away from Tocchet and go with a younger coach from a proven winning franchise.

I know I mentioned Torts but have came to my senses and no longer think he would fit.

15 minutes ago, Fizz said:

I don't know much about Tocchet the coach, but I do know the old time "Flyer Hockey" does not and will not work in the new NHL. So personally I hope they stay away from Tocchet and go with a younger coach from a proven winning franchise.

I know I mentioned Torts but have came to my senses and no longer think he would fit.

I agree on all counts.

I loved Tocchet as a player, and he's been okay where he's head-coached, but not great.   And on bad teams.

He's a pretty good assistant, but I think it would be bad on the Flyers especially given your "old time Flyer hockey" reasoning.  

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I loved Tocchet as a player, and he's been okay where he's head-coached, but not great.   And on bad teams.

So you're saying he'd be an "okay" head coach in Philadelphia, then...

Never finished higher than 4th, never won a playoff round.

He should fit right in.

Kermit The Frog Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

So you're saying he'd be an "okay" head coach in Philadelphia, then...

Never finished higher than 4th, never won a playoff round.

He should fit right in.

Kermit The Frog Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

Yes, he'd be "okay" by the above definition of "okay."   Which is why I don't want him.

But I also don't think it really matters who the coach is.   You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.  (the pig here is the Flyers organization)

Edited by ruxpin

31 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Old time Flyer hockey wouldn't work, that's true, but hard nosed, physical checking hockey can still be pretty effective. Just look at Nashville and Calgary. Those soft speed oriented analytics based teams like Toronto often exit the playoffs in round 1. Ideally you want a blend of both. Ducks might be building that.

In terms of the Flyers it would just be nice to have an identity and something to build around, whatever that is. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 3

Anthony DiMarco brought up Paul Maurice on Snow the Goalie this week.

He said he felt Maurice would check a lot of the boxes the Flyers have open, to me I felt like PM left a lot of money on the table by not wining with that forward corps....but, I didn't follow the Jets enough to know where their problems lay. I felt like the best team they had ran into the best playoff version of Pekke Rinne and then Binnington a couple years later.

He and DiFillipo also mentioned maybe Jim Montgomery as an option. He did alright with that Dallas team, he was just a drunk right? He wasn't diddling secretaries or anything ? A guy like that on the path to redemption bringing the team along with him could be a good narrative to build and market around.

On the whole this week's podcast was kind of hopeful *shrugs and winces* . They mentioned the expansion of the front office; and their perception of the ability to self-evaluate and therefore commitment to winning should be acknowledged. 

DiMarco also mentioned the player mix not being right with a Giroux to Colorado trade....but he did think that Carolina/St Louis/Minnesota would be possibilities.

His perspective which I appreciated was that G needs to bring back a nearly ready top 6 centerman. He mentioned Rossi and Drury and a pick as being a good deal. Maybe a hockey trade for Josh Anderson that sees Sanhiem or Koneckny going the other way...

it was interesting and didn't paint a totally bleak picture of the team's future.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He mentioned Rossi and Drury and a pick as being a good deal. Maybe a hockey trade for Josh Anderson that sees Sanhiem or Koneckny going the other way...

it was interesting and didn't paint a totally bleak picture of the team's future.

I'd honestly be quite happy with Rossi. Got to see him play live several times...excellent hands and great wheels. 

I think Sanheim AND Konecny are both better players than Anderson. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

A guy like that on the path to redemption bringing the team along with him could be a good narrative to build and market around.

Instead of redemption what about a guy wanting to make a jump to the next level??

Are you familar with David Carle??

Well he started under Jim at Denver and won a National title as part of his staff, took over after Jim after he left and he is running a good program at Denver now. Just check out the nation's leading scorer Flyer prospect Bobby Brink in his junior year has 44 points in 28 games.

And Carle went to Shattuck-Saint Mary's which is in Minnesota which is the 6 degrees from Minnesota needed to met Chuckles criteria for the job???

I know some might not want to go to the college ranks after Hak but that wouldn't deter me because do we really want to go down the coach retread to fill the spot again?? I don't know i kind of would like this group to do something out the box...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

top 6 centerman.

I'd love to see the Flyer sign a college free agent who was the Captain of Jay O'Brien's BC team Marc McLaughlin who only needs a contract offer...

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/300610/marc-mclaughlin

He is having a good year with 24 points in 25 games and well the more guys you get who were Captains or assistants well they should be use to leading by example.

He is 22 and i think can only sign a 2 year entry level contract but hey the Phantoms need all the help they can get and he could join Jay with the Phantoms next season...just a idea.

If you want a sniper then Ethen Frank is available he has 21 goals in 27 games and plays with Ronnie Attard at Western Michigan and is ready to be signed for free....

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/247909/ethen-frank

Edit: i guess i shouldn't have put this question here but ol well i'm not reposting it in the Phantoms thread....pipe dream any ways...

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I think Sanheim AND Konecny are both better players than Anderson.

I agree.

But, the idea was to get a more physical guy with higher skill into the top 9. 

Replacing Lindblom and or JvR with a Blake Coleman type player, McKewan is physical but he's at his ceiling ability-wise. 

To bring a player like Coleman back might require a hockey trade where a good player goes out to change the make-up of the top 9.

Anderson was the name DiMarco brought up because he's most likely available. So maybe not him, but a player like him.

I thought it made sense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I agree.

But, the idea was to get a more physical guy with higher skill into the top 9. 

Replacing Lindblom and or JvR with a Blake Coleman type player, McKewan is physical but he's at his ceiling ability-wise. 

To bring a player like Coleman back might require a hockey trade where a good player goes out to change the make-up of the top 9.

Anderson was the name DiMarco brought up because he's most likely available. So maybe not him, but a player like him.

I thought it made sense. 

Philly definitely needs to add some grit with skill on the team. I just don't like the idea of using either of those two to acquire it. 

Konecny, when he's on his game, plays a lot bigger than he is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Are you familar with David Carle??

Well he started under Jim at Denver and won a National title as part of his staff, took over after Jim after he left and he is running a good program at Denver now. Just check out the nation's leading scorer Flyer prospect Bobby Brink in his junior year has 44 points in 28 games.

And Carle went to Shattuck-Saint Mary's which is in Minnesota which is the 6 degrees from Minnesota needed to met Chuckles criteria for the job???

I know some might not want to go to the college ranks after Hak but that wouldn't deter me because do we really want to go down the coach retread to fill the spot again?? I don't know i kind of would like this group to do something out the box.

I was not, thanks for the info.

I'm not sure Fletcher would feel comfortable hiring a "project" guy.  I'm thinking he's going to want an NHL resume'.

It depends on the retread to me. This isn't a team that needs a Torterella type coach, they need a guy with a proven level of success who has had his path shortened by circumstances. Quinn from NYR? 

We all think Yeo is a place holder, right ?

He hasn't really made an impact with this group, but "to be fair" he hasn't had a full NHL roster to work with.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:29 AM, mojo1917 said:

I was not, thanks for the info.

I'm not sure Fletcher would feel comfortable hiring a "project" guy.  I'm thinking he's going to want an NHL resume'.

It depends on the retread to me. This isn't a team that needs a Torterella type coach, they need a guy with a proven level of success who has had his path shortened by circumstances. Quinn from NYR? 

We all think Yeo is a place holder, right ?

He hasn't really made an impact with this group, but "to be fair" he hasn't had a full NHL roster to work with.

Well if you need a X-Flyer and he needs to be a Cup winner i would say they call up Kevin Dineen.

He is the coach of Utica in the AHL right now so isn't that team owned by Robert Eche??

Who ever it is he needs to get this goddamn team back to being in the top rung in the East...

Games like this use to be the Flyers i forget what it's like to be on the edge of my seat on my couch.

It is very hard to watch this local team play with the go get it vibe the Flyers use to display.

And man i miss the days of big 88 trucking around where ever he wanted...

This is what the Flyer need to get back too.

It turns my stomach to know the Canes are better than the Flyers. They're my second favorite team, because it's local i guess.....and i like their uni.

Sorry not trying to hi jack the thread, back to your normally scheduled Flyers suckage....bitchin and moaning...till the deadline...on G is moved first.

:BrownBag:

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

That game was great.

The goal should be to be on that level.

Barkov pulled that move on Slavin, who is no slouch. daaaaaamn son. 

I know never in a million years would I have thought the Canes and Bolts would win a Cup before the Flyers would.

Boy was I wrong.

3 non traditional hockey market seem to be head and shoulders above the Flyeres.

Bolts

Canes

Predators

All in the south where they could careless about hockey sure they have good fans too but it is far from a hockey hotbed.

I never seen their fans sporting the jersey at the malls but I see Flyers, Rangers, Bruins and Caps fans around.

This all has to be fixed to right the universe.

:BrownBag:

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

All in the south where they could careless about hockey sure they have good fans too but it is far from a hockey hotbed.

Tampa's the #1 average attendance team in the league. Averaging 19,000 a game. Remember when 19,000 fans used to go to games?

Nashville is 12th, selling out 100.2% of capacity. Remember capacity crowds?

Vegas and Dallas are top 10 as well. The "not a hockey market" cliche is getting a bit tired.

Some of those numbers are due to the COVID restrictions up north (all the Canadian teams are in the lower third of the league), but capacity crowds are capacity crowds.

That said, Carolina is 15th and just at 90.2% of capacity. Which puts them *checks notes* just ahead of... The Flyers.

I was down the Jersey shore last weekend and saw more Stillers gear than Flyers. Haven't noticed too terribly much around the City recently, either...

58 minutes ago, radoran said:

Tampa's the #1 average attendance team in the league. Averaging 19,000 a game. Remember when 19,000 fans used to go to games?

Nashville is 12th, selling out 100.2% of capacity. Remember capacity crowds?

Vegas and Dallas are top 10 as well. The "not a hockey market" cliche is getting a bit tired.

Some of those numbers are due to the COVID restrictions up north (all the Canadian teams are in the lower third of the league), but capacity crowds are capacity crowds.

That said, Carolina is 15th and just at 90.2% of capacity. Which puts them *checks notes* just ahead of... The Flyers.

I was down the Jersey shore last weekend and saw more Stillers gear than Flyers. Haven't noticed too terribly much around the City recently, either...

Sure all those numbers can be misleading Tampa sure they have been good the last 5 years or longer but just like with the Canes they sell out alot because of the fans attending the games, a huge portion of them are there to see the team they are playing.

It was that way when last time I saw the Canes play the Flyers after the game you would have thought it was a Flyer home game because they get support on the road and there were so much orange.

But success over the years is what has help these clubs fill the stadium.

WINNING. That is what puts butts in the seats.

But a lot of those fans are also band wagin fans as soon as they suck it will be back to normal.

And as far as seeing more Steelers jersey yeah I can see that there is zero reason the fans should be filling seats the only way management will take notice maybe is with empty seats.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Tampa sure they have been good the last 5 years or longer

Three Cups, another Final, three Conference Finals in the past 20 years. Five of those since 2014.

Flyers: one Final, two Conference Finals...

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

just like with the Canes they sell out alot because of the fans attending the games, a huge portion of them are there to see the team they are playing.

Yeah, not so sure that's true about Tampa these days. It is absolutely why the two Florida teams are in the same division as Montreal, Ottawa, and Tronno.

Carolina? Sure. I don't know if that will ever be a real "hockey" market as it is so hoops-crazed.

I went to a Panthers/Eagles game like 10 years ago and the upper deck was basically green.