Pavel Kubina has been traded to Philadelphia for a 2nd and a 5th

Guest brelic

Kubina had 3 goals, 8 assists, and was a +1 on the Lightning. The lightning as a team are -33 in goal differential. While I haven't payed much attention to the Lightning this year, that seems pretty good.

Yah... He's a pretty solid D pickup for this team. Size and is responsible in our zone. This team's overall D is in disarray right now. I was at the game today... First one this year, and let me tell you, that 3rd period was not pretty.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flyers are also over the cap, per capgeek. So something's really gotta give. Waiving Shelley? <FINGERS crossed>

Edit: OK, they'll probably just drop Sestito onto LTIR

Edited by AJgoal

And now LeBrun's saying Kubina was a 2 and a 4.

Kubina has plenty of gas in the tank at 34. Great passer. Ultra competitive. Uses body well and keeps in front clear. Heavy shot. I see him replacing Pronger on PP point. Tis is it for D this year (I think), but sense more in store although doubt youth movement gets affected..

Carle might be gone I would think.

My thoughts exactly.

Trade JVR for Jack Johnson

Trade Carle for picks

Roll with

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr

Read-Briere-Voracek

Talbot-Schenn-Simonds

Rinaldo-Couturier-Wellwood

Kubina-Johnson

Timonen-Coburn

Meszaros-Grossman

Bryzgalov

Bobrovsky

That actually looks pretty dang solid on paper.

Trade JVR for Jack Johnson

Trade Carle for picks

ugh, why in the world would we do that? essentially, JVR and carle for picks and a bust dman? johnson has the worst +/- on LA's roster, and is a career -88. worse points per game than carle, worse than meszaros, only vaguely better than coburn.

i mean, if those picks are a couple 1st rounders, then maybe, but they'd have to be WAY more than just filler. in terms of skaters, the flyers would be giving up way way more than they are getting.

Carle might be gone I would think.

Baseless speculation ahoy!

Exhibit A: our goalies suck.

Exhibit B: we added 2 defensemen in, what, 48 hours? Too many defensemen, not enough time.

Exhibit C: we are over 50 contracts, therefore must package players.

Therefore:

Islanders get Matt Carle, Jon Kalinski (or some other schlub)

Flyers get Evgeni Nabokov and whatever else.

WARNING: Baseless, sourceless, almost certainly truth-free content. But what the hell.

ugh, why in the world would we do that? essentially, JVR and carle for picks and a bust dman? johnson has the worst +/- on LA's roster, and is a career -88. worse points per game than carle, worse than meszaros, only vaguely better than coburn.

i mean, if those picks are a couple 1st rounders, then maybe, but they'd have to be WAY more than just filler. in terms of skaters, the flyers would be giving up way way more than they are getting.

The writings on the wall for Carle, and I think if the Flyers are gonna trade Carle, then they are going to go after yet another defenseman.

Would you rather acquire Luke Schenn? Those are the two we are hearing about

no, i'd rather carle over both of those. johnson is just terrible, and schenn is very one dimensional. neither is as useful as carle is (prone to braindead passing though he may be).

if they've decided that carle can't be resigned, then let him walk, or try to move his rights before july 1. there is no reason to weaken the team mid-season just because the guy can't be brought back next fall.

if they've really decided carle has to be moved, it has to be for more than scraps. the point, afterall, would be to get something for him rather than lose him for nothing come free agency. 3rd round picks or whatever would be dumb. if the deals come down as johnson and two 2nd round picks for JVR, and a 1st rounder from a playoff-bound team for carle, then maybe. JVR for johnson straight up, and a handful of late round picks for carle = holmgren getting seriously bent over.

It could be argued that Zdeno Chara had that same problem in the plus/minus category.

After his first four years in the NHL, Chara was a -61...

Could a change of scenery be what JJ needs? As I posted on here earlier, JJ's original projection from hockeysfuture rates him higher than JVR...

Not saying that either lives up to it or down to it, but who knows?

As for Carle, I think come July first the absolute best you'll get is a third round pick. That's how much Hamhuis cost.... If you can get a first now, do it, IMO

It could be argued that Zdeno Chara had that same problem in the plus/minus category.

I think JJ is better than his stats or at least will be at some point. Carle, at the price he is currently getting paid, is as good or better. When he gets his raise next year that will be a different story.

Tim Panaccio @tpanotchCSN Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

One more time. CBJ is pushing Nash to Flyers. Not other way around. Although flyers would like to upgrade in goal even in backup

The question is why is Columbus pushing, what do they want, and why do they like to trade with Holmgren, especially after the summer debacle that favored the Flyers. They certainly did not so their homework on Carter, so preparation favors Holmgren again.

Former Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock, coach in 2007-08 when Nash became captain after Adam Foote left the trade deadline, had the following to say about Nask. I like what he had to say: "My relationship with Rick goes beyond the Blue Jackets," Hitchcock said. "It's deep. For me, I just see him as the captain of the Blue Jackets. That's what I see. There's also a good person in there. We've won championships together (Olympics, Worlds). I'd be the wrong guy to tell you what's right or wrong, plus it's not my team anymore."

This guy is a winner. Holmgren is the master of the snake oil.

McConnell, Priest, Howson, Patrick, Richards are dissassembling their Columbus club. Expect them to spend more than ever, but go young, and I suspect agree with trading partners based upon that premise. I would expect a Schenn or Courtier to be part of that equation with the Flyers, perhaps a younf defenseman like Gus or Bourdon, at the very least JVR. Holmgren will be a genius and take Priest and Howson to the cleaners for a second time if he only has to move JVR and maybe a young defenseman. Kalinski may be a small add part. Mason for Bryz favors Columbus, that may be the real salesmanship by Holmgren. I would be ok with mason and Bob. It is not only the talent Nash brings, but also the leadership and maturity as a C that this Flyers team could use. Talk about building a base for the future.

I expect the other shoe to fall soon following the Kubina and Grossman additions.

The question is why is Columbus pushing, what do they want, and why do they like to trade with Holmgren, especially after the summer debacle that favored the Flyers. They certainly did not so their homework on Carter, so preparation favors Holmgren again.

We have great young talent that are proving their worth now. AND, I'll bet Nash has us high on his list(thanks cartsy!).

But, CBJ apparently wants JVR, bob, and schenn or coots. For that... No thank you.

Little worried about Kubina's lack of mobility, but at least his presence takes the horrid potential Luke Schenn deal out of the equation....thank the good Lord for that. We got grittier in our own end, not a bad thing. Like the fact it's the Panthers second and a measley 4th rounder. Did not break the bank and got some respectable depth. Curious to see where this all leads, looks like the tip of the iceberg here.

I would have to wait to see what happened. If they were to trade Bryz (we can hope), JVR, and Carle off the roster for Nash and Mason, I wouldn't consider that gutting the team, and it might address the goaltending issue if a change of scenery and better d helps out Mason.